Bennie

KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
There's something magical with that itty little bit of acoustic guitar play between Low Light and Thumbing My Way
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    Man

so next level

i still fuckin don’t remember what was more important that I was doing at the time than being on here when it dropped. The one that got away
  • Travels WithTravels With Posts: 579
    Didn't it drop at midnight?  I could be wrong but I have this vague memory of staying up late to buy it.  
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,880
    Didn't it drop at midnight?  I could be wrong but I have this vague memory of staying up late to buy it.  
    See and I remember running home during my lunch break and snagging it.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I remember buying mine the day after they went on sale.   I was a brokeass student at the end of university.  I really depated whether I had the funds to spend 35 plus shipping on it.  Ended up pulling the trigger on it, but I remember doing it the next day.  I don't think they sold you immediately.  I think I bought one of the last ones, but it wasn't an instant sellout (maybe 24 hoursish?)
  • Travels WithTravels With Posts: 579
    a5pj said:
    See and I remember running home during my lunch break and snagging it.
    You're probably correct.  I have a terrible memory for things like this.
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • I didn’t buy it because it was a record and I wanted the CD:) 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    So glad to have this back in my collection! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    I remember buying the cd because my turntable was broken. Ugh. Idiot.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    I don't exactly recall the whole process clearly, but somehow I ordered it. I seem to think there was an annoucement and then the on-sale date.  It could not have been hard.  I was 31 and tired with a three year old and a 3 month old and a DSL connection at best.  I think the boxset went of May of 2004 for orde?
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• WindowPaineWindowPaine Posts: 524
    I don't remember it exactly either. But I do know the vinyl hype (and merch hype for pj fans) wasn't as mainstream throughout this board or society as it is today. I didn't rush to buy it but i got it from 10c that day or two it was for sale. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    18 years later and the majority are probably still sealed.  That daily torture must be hard 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    18 years later and the majority are probably still sealed.  That daily torture must be hard 
    Maybe! I’m not one of em’ Listened last week. Sounds SO fucking good! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I got into Vinyl this year for the first time. I acquired all the vaults for reasonable prices and spin them once in a while.

Bennie is too $ for me right now, so I downloaded the FLAC, bought a shiite MODI and hooked up a laptop. 

Sounds perfect, no flipping records. Maybe some day. But anyone who cant get one, the experience is the same.
  • False_BeliefFalse_Belief Posts: 763
    edited May 2022
    Like all good millennials, my CD collection is occupying space in my parents’ home, under constant threat of disposal.   Is this on any of the major streaming platforms?    I swear it used to be on Spotify but must’ve got pulled because it wasn’t there when I last checked a couple of months ago.   It’s not on Apple Music either.  

Leeds 2006, London 2007, Hartford 2008, London Shepherds Bush 2009, London O2 2009, Dublin 2010, London Hyde Park 2010, Amsterdam 1 2012, Amsterdam 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, EV solo London 30/7/2012, Berlin 2014, Stockholm 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Amsterdam 1 2018, London 1 2018, London 2 2018, EV solo Dublin 2019, London 1 2022, London 2 2022, New York City 2022 

• 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    RS65573 said:
    I got into Vinyl this year for the first time. I acquired all the vaults for reasonable prices and spin them once in a while.

Bennie is too $ for me right now, so I downloaded the FLAC, bought a shiite MODI and hooked up a laptop. 

Sounds perfect, no flipping records. Maybe some day. But anyone who cant get one, the experience is the same.
    Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the experience isn’t the same. Flipping the records alone is part of the experience. The entire vinyl ritual is the experience. 
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    Yes I do believe they dropped it late in the evening as I waited up to buy it. Having gone to the show and meeting the band afterwards and getting my Benny poster signed, I just knew I had to have this to complete the trifecta. 
    RS65573 said:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the experience isn’t the same. Flipping the records alone is part of the experience. The entire vinyl ritual is the experience. 
    Being forced to listen to albums as an entire piece of work can’t be understated, digital formats makes that hard unless you are very disciplined 

I actively listen to records, digital is more passive listening almost always. Background music, in the car etc so the experience is way different 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    I think it is helpful to provide a method to listen to this that doesn't include dropping $3k. It is not the same, but it is close and almost free.
  • SandyRavageSandyRavage Posts: 1,011
    Like all good millennials, my CD collection is occupying space in my parents’ home, under constant threat of disposal.   Is this on any of the major streaming platforms?    I swear it used to be on Spotify but must’ve got pulled because it wasn’t there when I last checked a couple of months ago.   It’s not on Apple Music either.  
    I don't think it was ever on Spotify or Apple Music.

You might be confusing Bennie with the last REAL Vault (not Moline) and Unplugged that ended up on both Spotify and Apple Music...

The state of their Spotify (and Discogs site for that matter) is a real shit show as of late when it comes to trying to cypher through everything thats there. You have studio albums mixed with all the bootlegs from 2000, 2003, 2008 and 2013...

I'm not sure why some of the bootlegs, and not all of them are up there, but I feel like Pearl Jam are missing the boat on that. Theres a lot of releases they could add to their Streaming outlets that would stop you from having to pay yet another fee to Nugs to get all of your PJ shows. 

Bennie is a perfect example, as you can't even buy the CD/Cassette anymore for under $20... and it's almost 20 years old... I'm sure they are thinking it would be pretty pointless to re-release a CD of a show from 20 years ago, but if the show just randomly showed up in our Spotify one day, I don't think too many people would complain! 

Speaking of which, can we get all the 2005/2006 shows on streaming???? You would think that would be logical since they were only available as downloads..... Some of the best shows ever on those tours.   
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    edited May 2022
    I actually wonder how many still exist in great shape opened or sealed.  Over the years I’ve seen one copy listed that clearly survived a flood and looked unplayable.   Another that had the box eaten by a dog.   Someone once listed just LP3.   Those are the dramatic ones.  A lot have boxes that have taken normal wear and tear over the 18 years which is what you’d expect.  Most records I buy I don’t envision being worth $3k a decade or two later.  
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Google: Live at Benaroya Hall is a two-disc live album by the American alternative rock band Pearl Jam, recorded on October 22, 2003 at Benaroya Hall, Seattle, Washington and released on July 27, 2004 through BMG.

~

My memory is it went on sale sometime in the late afternoon/early evening. The site crashed as it did a lot back then. I would guess some scored before the crash. I was tired and went to bed. Woke up in the middle of the night and checked the site to see how the sale played out. And there it was FOR SALE! $40.00 plus shipping. I think you know what happened next 😊

my collection works for its keep.

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I actually wonder how many still exist in great shape opened or sealed.  Over the years I’ve seen one copy listed that clearly survived a flood and looked unplayable.   Another that had the box eaten by a dog.   Someone once listed just LP3.   Those are the dramatic ones.  A lot have boxes that have taken normal wear and tear over the 18 years which is what you’d expect.  Most records I buy I don’t envision being worth $3k a decade or two later.  
    Mine is sealed. sigh... I embarrassed to say.  I was broke when I got it, and my record player, it was my grandparents, so they'd asked for it back, so I was between record players.  So I never got to spin it when I got it, and by the time I got a replacement player the thing was worth about $400 or $500 USD.   I was so broke, i'm like, I can't play that now.. that's my if everything goes bad fund.

Now it's so many years later and my Financial Position is much better than it was in my 20s.   So really, there's no reason I shouldn't open it.  At this point.. I'm just waiting for a good or bad day where I need a boost or to celebrate, and I'll crack it open.  Part of me thinks it'll be bad luck, but I'm not getting any younger.  I need to play it :)
  • KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
    edited May 2022
    LOL....OP Here.  You vinyl guys crack me up.. You derailed my discussion.  :smiley:

I was simply appreciating the actual music.

P.S. I was listening to a digital (flac) version

Post edited by KV4053 on
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • edwhoedwho Posts: 811

I listen to the CD all the time. Acoustic Pearl Jam makes me happy. One of my favorites on Benny is Man Of The Hour. A most beautiful version.  

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

edited May 2022
    Zod said:
    Mine is sealed. sigh... I embarrassed to say.  I was broke when I got it, and my record player, it was my grandparents, so they'd asked for it back, so I was between record players.  So I never got to spin it when I got it, and by the time I got a replacement player the thing was worth about $400 or $500 USD.   I was so broke, i'm like, I can't play that now.. that's my if everything goes bad fund.

Now it's so many years later and my Financial Position is much better than it was in my 20s.   So really, there's no reason I shouldn't open it.  At this point.. I'm just waiting for a good or bad day where I need a boost or to celebrate, and I'll crack it open.  Part of me thinks it'll be bad luck, but I'm not getting any younger.  I need to play it :)
    I’m convinced that story is the norm

Observation has shown me it’s easier to buy a sealed one than an open one too.  It’s overwhelmingly sealed when they go up for sale

id be pretty pissed if I waited 18 years and I’ve got a pressing defect or a missing LP or something. Sealed it’s always perfect 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I feel like all I’m seeing are opened ones on discogs.  
  • FlavafrazFlavafraz Posts: 416
    Maybe if we keep bombarding 10c they will repress it instead of others making thousands on after market. They seem to be repressing a lot of stuff 
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    RS65573 said:
    I think it is helpful to provide a method to listen to this that doesn't include dropping $3k. It is not the same, but it is close and almost free.
    I never said another method wasn’t useful or even enjoyable. I also respected your opinion that it is the “same”. This is a message board filled with varying opinions. Although I own an OG, I am a proponent of a reissue of this record so that more folks can experience the concert on vinyl.
    To my ears, the gig sounds best on the wax.
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 665
    RS65573 said:
    I never said another method wasn’t useful or even enjoyable. I also respected your opinion that it is the “same”. This is a message board filled with varying opinions. Although I own an OG, I am a proponent of a reissue of this record so that more folks can experience the concert on vinyl.
    To my ears, the gig sounds best on the wax.
    Black repress, please. Original retains value and everybody is happy. 
  • AW124797AW124797 Posts: 665
    I like what they did with RVM. First pressing is still valuable.