Wow, that San Diego boot...

2»

Comments

• ddeschlerddeschler Posts: 654
    I thought at the Phoenix show he was lamenting the fact that he is a smoker, which wasn't great for his prognosis when he got covid.  And then he said he had to go sleep in the guest house, and played Sleeping by Myself.  If he did quit smoking, that would obv be fantastic.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    yea cigs are a waste, stick to an occasional J......I smoked late HS into college and maybe a yr or two after......waste of Health & $
  • Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,528
    I really wish these shows were streaming on Apple Music. I don't want to pay for yet another streaming service to listen to the most recent boots.
    $10 for the MP3s and you own them forever.
    Yeah but I don't listen to them all that often. I just want to really listen to them once to hear the Gigaton songs.
    Sign up for an account at Nugs and you get a free month. Just cancel before the month is up
    It looks like the trial is down to 7 days, but as the other boots come out, the trial would be over. I just wish they were available on all the streaming music services. Music services aren't quite as bad as the TV/movie services where you have to subscribe to 5 different ones to get the content you want, but it would be nice for everything an artist puts out to be on all the services.
  • jgregory89jgregory89 Las Vegas Posts: 195
    BF25394 said:
    In Phoenix, Eddie talked about his bout with COVID and, in telling the story, he implied that he had quit smoking.

One thing I think I noticed at the shows, and I will be curious to hear if the bootlegs bear this out, is that Eddie seemed to have gotten rid of the affectation that had plagued his singing for several years where he-- I don't even know how to describe it-- would kind of aspirate in the middle of words so that "low light" becomes "la-hoe light" and so on.  This was all over his singing for the last several years, and I didn't hear it at any of the recent shows, but with people singing along (including me), it's hard to say for sure that he wasn't doing it.
    Yeah that weird little accent he would do.  I feel like that peaked in 2016 and started going down since.  Never was a fan of that accent thing.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    fantastic boot!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • edited May 2022
    BF25394 said:
    In Phoenix, Eddie talked about his bout with COVID and, in telling the story, he implied that he had quit smoking.

One thing I think I noticed at the shows, and I will be curious to hear if the bootlegs bear this out, is that Eddie seemed to have gotten rid of the affectation that had plagued his singing for several years where he-- I don't even know how to describe it-- would kind of aspirate in the middle of words so that "low light" becomes "la-hoe light" and so on.  This was all over his singing for the last several years, and I didn't hear it at any of the recent shows, but with people singing along (including me), it's hard to say for sure that he wasn't doing it.
    I noticed this too while listening to the boot.
  • SSS81SSS81 Posts: 174
    SSS81 said:
    I purchased the MP3 with a 10C code I had and downloaded them to my phone (android). Anyone have advice/experience getting everything to play in the correct order? Right now I just have all the individual songs downloaded. Spotify will play them all but there is no easy way to make a play list (that I know of). I'm really starting to feel old, might have to just buy the CD.
    can you rename them and use numbers?  It seems like I have had to do that before...it will sort them by the first character
    SSS81 said:
    I purchased the MP3 with a 10C code I had and downloaded them to my phone (android). Anyone have advice/experience getting everything to play in the correct order? Right now I just have all the individual songs downloaded. Spotify will play them all but there is no easy way to make a play list (that I know of). I'm really starting to feel old, might have to just buy the CD.
    I am not sure why they don't number the songs correctly when you download them.  I'm still using iTunes and an iPod, so it was easy to fix, but still a pain in the butt.  Hopefully Pearl Jam's crew will correct this for future boots.
    TA243471 said:
    On my android, I just load them into a folder, and they play correctly without any revisions.  I use Doubletwist for my music player though.
    Thank you all, I have a couple ideas to try. Much appreciated.
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 357
    BF25394 said:

Yep, noticeable lack of that particular affectation, as well as a reduction in the "heeee -eeee" affectation that had started to creep into many, many of the songs over the last decade or so.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (05/30), Seattle, WA (10/22)
    2005: Quincy, WA (09/01)
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20), Quincy, WA (07/22), Quincy, WA (07/23)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (02/22), New York, NY (09/10), New York, NY (09/11), Camden, NJ (09/14), Denver, CO (09/22)
    2023: St. Paul, MN (08/31), St. Paul, MN (09/02)
    2024: Portland, OR (05/10), Sacramento, CA (05/13), Los Angeles, CA (05/21), Los Angeles, CA (05/22), Seattle, WA (05/28)
  • SSS81 said:
    SSS81 said:
    can you rename them and use numbers?  It seems like I have had to do that before...it will sort them by the first character
    SSS81 said:
    I am not sure why they don't number the songs correctly when you download them.  I'm still using iTunes and an iPod, so it was easy to fix, but still a pain in the butt.  Hopefully Pearl Jam's crew will correct this for future boots.
    TA243471 said:
    On my android, I just load them into a folder, and they play correctly without any revisions.  I use Doubletwist for my music player though.
    Thank you all, I have a couple ideas to try. Much appreciated.
    Community is beautiful.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2018 Fenway I, Fenway II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 MSG I, Fenway I, Fenway II
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    ddeschler said:
    I thought at the Phoenix show he was lamenting the fact that he is a smoker, which wasn't great for his prognosis when he got covid.  And then he said he had to go sleep in the guest house, and played Sleeping by Myself.  If he did quit smoking, that would obv be fantastic.
    You might be right.  It was a little ambiguous.  My recollection was that he said something to the effect of that he thought, "Why did I smoke cigarettes?" and the past tense made me think he was saying that he no longer smoked them.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Jcanr20Jcanr20 Illinois Posts: 159
    I think the fact he is a smoker is pretty obvious as the years go by. He definitely isn't even trying to sing a lot of the high notes in these latest shows. Quick Escape etc. 
    Stern asked him about it when he was on basically saying "why would you do that, you've got such a great voice, etc." and he said "it's kinda like riding a bike and saying 'look ma, no hands!'" 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    I think it was during the Bill Simmons interview he and Jeff did when the periodic clicking of his zippo made me cringe. Just awful to hear. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    JimmyV said:
    I think it was during the Bill Simmons interview he and Jeff did when the periodic clicking of his zippo made me cringe. Just awful to hear. 
    Nah it was Stern.  I haven't listened to the Bill Simmons interview. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    JimmyV said:
    He was 100% smoking during the Simmons interview. He was on camera during Stern and I don't remember seeing him smoke but I could be wrong. But he certainly was during Simmons. As well as on the Smartless podcast as well. 
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    BF25394 said:

I remember him talking about Covid, but I don't recall the implication of quitting smoking.  Either way, if he has quit, that's fn great!  All I know is that he sounded better vocally at that Phoenix show than he has in years.  He was def able to hit some notes and levels he hasn't touched in a while.  And yes, I know what you're saying about those "alterations" of words. 
    All in all, Ed sounded fantastic and the band was super tight.  
    JimmyV said:
    He was 100% smoking during the Simmons interview. He was on camera during Stern and I don't remember seeing him smoke but I could be wrong. But he certainly was during Simmons. As well as on the Smartless podcast as well. 
    Sorry, I thought you were talking about the "look ma, no hands" statement.  You're correct, I didn't see him smoking on Stern either.