Gigaton Tour?

pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
Now that the first leg is over. Wasn’t this the Gigaton tour? I know Matt went down, but in Fresno we got one Gigaton song. I was so excited to hear songs from this album live and one was played. Pearl Jam is one of a few bands I go to shows to hear new songs and now with Sacramento canceled it looks like the west coast got a greatest hits tour. Great for the fan who thinks ten was their last album but not so much from the die hards. We got half a singer in Fresno (no disrespect to Ed, props for powering through) but the truth is the truth. Dave K saved Fresno and made the night special but god damn it I really love Gigaton and now with their limited touring and my refusal to travel to any show after todays ass raping of time and money and vacation hours due to last minute cancellation, it looks like I will never get to see Who Ever Said or any of the gems off this great album. It’s a shame. 
Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.

Comments

• PeterEDPeterED Posts: 365
    Given the COVID impact of losing Matt it might be a bit premature to judge what the rest of tour will look like based on these feels shows.

I’m waiting to see how the EU shows shape-up.

I’m off the same mind re Gigaton, though. It would be a little disappointing for me if I got a setlist of 1 Gigaton song and 2-3 covers with a full, healthy lineup. But, damn, it’ll be great to see them again come Sept.
    Barrie, Ontario (August 05, 1992); Toronto, Ontario (August 18, 1993); Toronto, Ontario (October 05, 2000); Buffalo, New York (May 02, 2003); Toronto, Ontario (May 09, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (May 10, 2006); Toronto, Ontario (August 21, 2009); Buffalo, New York (May 10, 2010); Toronto, Ontario (September 11, 2011); Toronto, Ontario (September 12, 2011); Toronto 1 (May 10, 2016); Toronto 2 (May 12, 2016); Ottawa (September 3, 2022); Hamilton (September 6, 2022); Toronto (September 8, 2022)
  • iamloco724iamloco724 Posts: 1,441
    Did you not pay attention to the first half of the dates in California? Things obviously changed after Matt went down. 
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,205
    edited May 2022
    Still got Euro and the Fall North America swing. 
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,159
    Did you not pay attention to the first half of the dates in California? Things obviously changed after Matt went down. 
    This
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,888
    They played Gigaton at the 2021 shows.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 Posts: 26,144
    They played Gigaton at the 2021 shows.  
    Yea I really don't feel bad for California 

I got half the album in Jersey.  I was hoping for the other half in MSG but now I'm thinking I might get one more.  
    severed hand thirteen
    2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    It’s the Gigaton tour. And how can people learn other pj songs to cover Matt but nothing post 2000. Once Matt went down it became a greatest hits tour. The excuse he wasn’t there makes zero sense. A song is a song. It’s not like they are playing 33-35 songs a night anymore. They cut their song load by 1/3 before Matt went down. Matt Cameron is such a bad ass drummer that no one can play a song since he’s joined the band?  I find that a sad excuse for playing one song off the album your supposed to be touring on. 
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194
    It’s the Gigaton tour. And how can people learn other pj songs to cover Matt but nothing post 2000. Once Matt went down it became a greatest hits tour. The excuse he wasn’t there makes zero sense. A song is a song. It’s not like they are playing 33-35 songs a night anymore. They cut their song load by 1/3 before Matt went down. Matt Cameron is such a bad ass drummer that no one can play a song since he’s joined the band?  I find that a sad excuse for playing one song off the album your supposed to be touring on. 
    It was pretty clear Richard was playing mostly songs he knew from the early days of being around the band. Can't throw a whole record at somebody and expect them to learn it in 2 days. 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
  • RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Posts: 1,020
    @pearljammr78 It very much sucks that the shows were cancelled and you lost out on a lot of your money and time. I'm sorry that happened, but you seem increasingly angry in your posts.  Maybe it's time to take a step back and cool off before you say something that gets you in trouble. Just a thought. Take care.
    You have Richard and Josh. Learn two songs each. Gigaton tour it still is. 

Maybe it should be called the Walmart Repress of Rearviewmirror tour instead. 
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,405
    @pearljammr78 - do you play drums? Also, have you listened to the drums on Gigaton or any of the other post-200 albums? Grievance? Marker? These aren't drum loops. The fact that they had people fill in on any of these songs is pretty damn remarkable. Most other bands would have postponed the whole tour, but they kept going. 
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    They made the best of a bad situation for as long as they could. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • RW8297RW8297 Posts: 1,610

To be honest I'm a little bit scared of European Tour. I have tickets to 3 shows. Those US setlists were really boring. Corduroy, Small Town, Given To Fly, Even Flow, Porch, Yellow Ledbetter. I don't need 3h shows or 10 deep cuts but there are lots of songs that are missed. 

Please stop this Walmart Greatest Hits tour ;)

And folks please don't shoot... 
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,123
    edited May 2022
    Merch Psst Tour 2022

;) 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited May 2022
    Now that the first leg is over. Wasn’t this the Gigaton tour? I know Matt went down, but in Fresno we got one Gigaton song. I was so excited to hear songs from this album live and one was played. Pearl Jam is one of a few bands I go to shows to hear new songs and now with Sacramento canceled it looks like the west coast got a greatest hits tour. Great for the fan who thinks ten was their last album but not so much from the die hards. We got half a singer in Fresno (no disrespect to Ed, props for powering through) but the truth is the truth. Dave K saved Fresno and made the night special but god damn it I really love Gigaton and now with their limited touring and my refusal to travel to any show after todays ass raping of time and money and vacation hours due to last minute cancellation, it looks like I will never get to see Who Ever Said or any of the gems off this great album. It’s a shame. 
    Europe never got to see the Riot Act tour.
    Or the Yield tour
    Or the KISS Farewell tour
    Or Freddy VS Jason in the theatre in the summer, early fall of 2003 if one lived in Sweden

We didn't get Krusen either. Or any KISS Kruise.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • opsopcopolisopsopcopolis Posts: 1,194

Josh already has stuff to do for the Gigaton tunes (that's why he's on the tour), so it would all be on Richard. 
    2006: Hartford
    2008: Camden 2, Hartford
    2010: Hartford
    2013: Wrigley, Worcester x2, Hartford
    2015: NYC
    2016: Philly 2, MSG x2, Boston 2, (TOTD Philly 2, MSG)
    2018: Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Boston x2
    2022: San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas
    @Spiritual_Chaos   i would gladly ship Kiss and every piece of merch to your country on the Kiss cruise ship for a permanent residence if I could. 

I don’t play drums. So I’m my ignorance, I am to believe that Matt is such a godly drummer that no one can touch anything he’s done since 2000 but the drummers before him were so average that anyone can play those songs at the drop of a Matt ( see what I did there) I think this tour was doomed from the start. Look at the posters. 
  • CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Posts: 3,020
    Could Josh or Richard figure out Gigaton and all other post 1998 songs? I'm sure they could. Well enough to remember multiple ones and play them in front of 10-15K? Yeah sure. But maybe the band doesn't want to put that product out to fans that paid good money to see them? Maybe "good enough for fans" isn't good enough for the band? Fans (and the band) have waited 2 years to hear Gigaton songs be played and then PJ should have to go out there and play them not up to their standards?  

These guys made the absolute best out of a bad situation. I'm sure they were incredibly frustrated. 
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    A drummer could have figured it out probably. 

Having an unfamiliar drummer is also stressful for the rest of the band. It’s entirely possible Ed wanted to play stuff he was more comfortable doing with a replacement drummer.  Not that the drummer couldn’t do it if that’s what was asked. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,107
    edited May 2022
    But I mean...

They did play Superblood Wolfmoon, Quick Escape and Seven O'Clock at the first Oakland concert without Matt.

So they could have kept those three songs (at least) for Fresno. But instead they went down to one (1) Gigaton song for that last show.

So not like not having Matt would stop them from at least having three (3) Gigaton songs in the set. River Cross doesn't need a drummer. Comes then Goes doesn't need a drummer. So that would have been five (5) songs. 

Not having Matt isn't a viable reason for Gigaton songs not being played (but maybe the versions in Oakland with Richard didn't cut it(?))
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,774
    Some people age gracefully, some dont

band doin well

fans, lil fried 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,343
    They played eight Gigaton songs in San Diego.  They played six the first night in L.A., and three the second night.  They planned to play five in Arizona before scrapping "River Cross."  Then Matt got sick.

They played every song from the album except "Comes Then Goes."  It is very clear that they intended to play a lot of Gigaton, and they did play a lot of Gigaton before things went sideways and they had to scramble to find drummers.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,343
    But I mean...

They did play Superblood Wolfmoon, Quick Escape and Seven O'Clock at the first Oakland concert without Matt.

So they could have kept those three songs (at least) for Fresno. But instead they went down to one (1) Gigaton song for that last show.

So not like not having Matt would stop them from at least having three (3) Gigaton songs in the set. River Cross doesn't need a drummer. Comes then Goes doesn't need a drummer. So that would have been five (5) songs. 

Not having Matt isn't a viable reason for Gigaton songs not being played (but maybe the versions in Oakland with Richard didn't cut it(?))
    They didn't even play "Comes Then Goes" at Ohana.  I think there's something specific to that song-- too emotional?-- that kept it out of the sets.

"River Cross" may not need a drummer, but it has a drum part.  Maybe they don't want to play a neutered version of the song.  And, again, they played this song for Ukraine in L.A.  Maybe they just didn't think it fit the vibe in Oakland and Fresno.

With respect to "Superblood Wolfmoon" and "Seven O'Clock," they are very lyrics-heavy songs that require extra effort for Ed to sing (and remember).  In the shape he was in in Fresno, I don't think he was looking for challenging songs like those or "Who Ever Said."  He was getting winded singing those songs in L.A. when he wasn't dealing with food poisoning.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    The Deftones did the same thing this year. Ohms is a masterpiece and ever since it was released all I wanted to do was hear those songs live. They played two songs. Ohms tour. It’s a shame. Great albums deserve the proper live treatment. 
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    Europe never got to see the Riot Act tour.
    Or the Yield tour
    Or the KISS Farewell tour
    Or Freddy VS Jason in the theatre in the summer, early fall of 2003 if one lived in Sweden

We didn't get Krusen either. Or any KISS Kruise.
    No Freddie vs Jason?  Damn you missed out. 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • How are we doing after the Euro leg and halfway through the second NA leg? I haven’t run the numbers but I still feel like we are very Gigaton light. I’m surprised Superblood Wolfmoon has only been played 14 times. What’s the deal? It’s a great album and the last thing I want is this band to become a legacy act. They need to challenge the fans a bit more and just play the new stuff. Unless they aren’t into it any more?

For contrast I picked a random 2006 show and 8/30 songs were from Avocado. Same proportions we should be getting 5-6 songs from Gigaton but it seems like we are getting around 3. Just seems strange.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,517
    I was a little bummed at the Oakland shows that we didn't get much from gigaton.  Maybe 3 songs on the first night, and I think 2 of them were repeated on the 2nd night.  Didn't even get DOTC.  Still, the shows were amazing, and the bands ability to adapt to the drummer situation made for an epic pair of shows.

Still I'd like to have heard more from Gigaton.  Hoping maybe we get Seattle and/or Vancouver shows next year.   Also not sure how close they are on the next album, as it seems they have started it.   Would be a shorter interval in albums than we've seen in a while, but if they put out one, that would cap seeing gigaton songs live pretty quick :(