*** Pearl Jam Fresno, CA Fanviews 5/16/22 ***

Comments

• Luckytwn1Luckytwn1 Posts: 490

I don't think you understand the amount of rehearsal time that goes into a band that's been together 30 years for a tour. Now, add to that two or three guys that have NEVER PLAYED THOSE SONGS TO 15,000 PEOPLE LIVE, and you get what you have the last few nights; "safe songs" with a lot of epic moments thrown in. 

Most bands would have cancelled these shows. Pearl Jam showed the fuck up and made it extra special for the fans. You can't ask for a better band than that. 
    This.  All damn day.
    I have other bands that I love as much as Pearl Jam, but I got to thinking as I was driving over to Fresno last night - and not a single one of them would have pressed forward without their drummer.  They would have just cancelled/postponed and would have blown the whole tour up.  It takes a level of professionalism but also the spirit of a real rock band to just go for it as they did.  It takes guts and willingness to not look like the band did in LA on Night 1, which is, a world class rock band. You can show a few warts and still be a R&RHOF tier band.  Have always respected PJ, but these past four shows I've seen have taken that to a new depth.
    As for Fresno - so cool to see Dave get his moment in the sun.  Can you imagine the regret that dude has to live with some days?  Sure, he's held onto a career in music and has had some other awesome collaborations - but knowing that you drummed on songs that will be on rock radio FOREVER and had to get off the boat that those songs were written on?  He seemed genuinely happy up there and sounded great.  "Why Go" and "Deep" - two of my lower tier songs on Ten (insert thrown stones here) both sounded GREAT.  Brought some good energy to "Porch" as well.
    Agree except for point about cancelling. Bands are doing everything possible not to cancel. Of course, it becomes unavoidable in certain cases but The War on Drugs played a show with the bass tech playing because the Dave Hartley was out and numerous other instances like that. Because there is limited to no COVID coverage for these tours, cancelling is a HUGE financial hit.
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    This show is a prime example of looking at a set and saying "eh" didn't miss anything. Then reading about Dave coming in, the banter, the crowd and it sounds awesome! I was thinking "Only one Gigaton song," and then all the other stuff. Just shows this band does their best to bring it every single fuckin night! And that happens even when they play "Johnny Guitar."
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • MG182478MG182478 Cleveland, Ohio Posts: 28
    Red Lukin said:
    Looks fun but does given to fly, corduroy and small town have to be played every single night?

These are easily the most boring PJ songs. IMO
    Corduroy should be played every night and sometimes twice.
    I love this idea. In another 30 years when they run out of things to do.. We can campaign for this as the opener and the closer. 
    1994 : Cleveland
    1995 : Chicago
    1996 : Toronto, Buffalo
    1998 : East Troy x2, East Lansing, Auburn Hills, Pittsburgh, Cuyahoga Falls
    2000 : Columbus, Pittsburgh, Auburn Hills
    2003 : Cleveland
    2004 : Toledo
    2005 : Toronto
    2006 : Chicago, Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati
    2010 : Cleveland
    2013 : Buffalo
    2014 : Detroit
    2016 : Tampa, Wrigley 
    2018 : Wrigley 
    2022 : Chicago (EV & The Earthlings)
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    PJNB said:
    Some quick thoughts

Amazing getting to see Dave Krusen play the drums to so many songs that I grew up listening to him on the studio version of.

No clue how this boot is going to sound but people really need to see the video as well to see how Eddie fought the whole night. Crazy he could sing as well as he did going through food poisoning. 

The highlights for me was the drumming at the end of Deep, Purple Rain with Eddie singing the start and Mikes solo, Eruption played out of nowhere to introduce Richard, Stone having a lot of fun with Dont Gimme No Lip, Quick Escape ending spot, the stories were all great and of course Dave drumming

Here are a handful of pics I took

Is it just me or do the picks seem to be Tolkien-inspired (especially the lower left one)?

Loving reading the fanviews for this run of shows, glad so many are enjoying them!
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    Totally, Tolkein. That's cool. Nice call.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 794
    CP218430 said:
    This show is a prime example of looking at a set and saying "eh" didn't miss anything. Then reading about Dave coming in, the banter, the crowd and it sounds awesome! I was thinking "Only one Gigaton song," and then all the other stuff. Just shows this band does their best to bring it every single fuckin night! And that happens even when they play "Johnny Guitar."
    Well, they picked the best Gigaton song for sure.  EVERYONE should experience that one live and I think it will be the mainstay song off this album for the long haul.  And I'd love to hear Johnny Guitar btw...at least once!  :smile:
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 450
    TuTe said:
    Red Lukin said:
    To each their own. So many missed songs

Animal
    Save you
    Grievance
    STBC
    Get Right
    Last Exit
    Red Mosquito
    Green Disease
    Insignificance
    Johnny Guitar

That's just a few that rarely get played. I can go on...

Keep enjoying the boring songs and they'll keep playing them!

They played animal
              ^^^^^^^^^^^- i can hear it in my head Now, even tho it hurts- they played Animal. Thankyou for posting that they did. 
  • Back home and rested up from the show... Few thoughts, too bad Eddie was sick (get better soon!).. I can only imagine the energy that could have been for last night if he was 100% healthy, he seemed at points to really be struggling to keep going, but did so for those that showed up. It could have been easy to toss in the towel, but just shows how much of he cares, even if a show isn't sold out to give the fans all every night..
    Dave showing up and playing the Ten songs was really a gift, I kinda hope they continue doing something like that, but different for Sac Town and Vegas, just to give each show their own little sense of different and special. 
    From what Eddie said, unless I heard wrong, MFC got hit hard with Covid, so I wouldn't expect him to be back for Sac or LV coming up, IMO.. I wouldn't mind them doing a Jack show and a Dave A show for the last 2 shows of this leg, even if im not going, I think it would certainly be cool and unique for each night. 

• adamg5adamg5 Posts: 774

2000 I watched the PJ pit from lower level in Fresno and GA was zombieland.  
    2022 I gave it everything I had in the pit!
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,518
    ^^haha that's awesome!
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,610
    adamg5 said:

2000 I watched the PJ pit from lower level in Fresno and GA was zombieland.  
    2022 I gave it everything I had in the pit!
    Keep it going today, Adam. 😆 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 688
    bbiggs said:
    Red Lukin said:
    Looks fun but does given to fly, corduroy and small town have to be played every single night?

These are easily the most boring PJ songs. IMO

Nikki Sixx, is that you?
    Way to snobby to be Nikki
  • bender.jen@gmail.combender.jen@gmail.com Riverside, California Posts: 1
    Coolest sticker for the best show!  So happy we were there. Decided on a whim to head up after we didn’t get enough PJ after night two in LA. What a treat. 
  • helplessdancerhelplessdancer Posts: 5,262
    i prefer posts in these fanviews to be from people who actually saw the show ... butttt i got suckered in cause someone doesn't like corduroy.. so i felt i had to say ....that's really messed up....it should absolutely be played twice at every show!
  • JM12271JM12271 Posts: 209
    TuTe said:
    Red Lukin said:

Animal
    Save you
    Grievance
    STBC
    Get Right
    Last Exit
    Red Mosquito
    Green Disease
    Insignificance
    Johnny Guitar

They played animal
    Why yes, yes they did.

Why not ask for Puzzles and Games, I'm Open and Olympic Platinum while you are at it.

• craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,124
    i prefer posts in these fanviews to be from people who actually saw the show ... butttt i got suckered in cause someone doesn't like corduroy.. so i felt i had to say ....that's really messed up....it should absolutely be played twice at every show!
    maybe first time start with the into riff and dive into something else ... get the crowd all lathered up... This show I was having flashback to SF in 1995, I was at that Eddie 7 song set where Neal Young came out.. They did RITFW twice... so there you go.. LOL 

• blenderman69blenderman69 philly Posts: 2,104
    Red Lukin said:

These are easily the most boring PJ songs. 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,068
    Red Lukin said:
    Freedom of speech dude

Freedom of speech means that other people can exercise their freedom of speech to criticize you.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
    After Ed’s depressing ass story everyone was like wtf. And then they kick into deep and it all made sense. We got deep and the deep origin story. And it was extra heavy after that story. What a fucking night!!!
    Depressing?!  It's not like the guy fell out of the window...
    JM12271 said:
    TuTe said:
    Red Lukin said:

Animal
    Save you
    Grievance
    STBC
    Get Right
    Last Exit
    Red Mosquito
    Green Disease
    Insignificance
    Johnny Guitar

They played animal
    Why yes, yes they did.

Why not ask for Puzzles and Games, I'm Open and Olympic Platinum while you are at it.

"Olympic Platinum" can only be played in years divisible by four, unless it's Winter Olympic Platinum, or unless it's 2020.
  • JM12271JM12271 Posts: 209
    Get Right was on Sirius Radio today, I spun the dial and my wife asked what song that was. I explained *I Think* it has had the longest drought in their catalogue. We listened a bit, and we both agreed it wasn't very good and should be retired. When listening to album, I won't skip it, but in the end, I would have the show open with Corduroy, close with Corduroy and have it played after Alive before YLB before hearing Get Right live.

As we say - agree to disagree.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,943
    Get Right kicks ass... Music and lyrics by Matt 
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,610
    Get Right kicks ass... Music and lyrics by Matt 
    I agree, love Get Right. 😍
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    BF25394 said:
    After Ed’s depressing ass story everyone was like wtf. And then they kick into deep and it all made sense. We got deep and the deep origin story. And it was extra heavy after that story. What a fucking night!!!
    Depressing?!  It's not like the guy fell out of the window...
    Glass half full. I like it. Lol
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,824
    Get right  needs to be played  . Many times. 
    Also a mention for  help help. With  help prelude.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • ChrisileinChrisilein Vienna/Austria Posts: 3,877
    I don't get it that there is still so much room for complaining. I've been waiting for a PJ show for a long long time. I have tickets for 2 Europe Shows this summer...and I don't care what they play, the only thing that matters is that I am able to see my favorite band after years of absence. They can cover ABBA if they want, or the Kelly Family, or Mr. Iglesias..i don't care...i just want to be in the same room with the best live band on earth...
    up here in my tree in Vienna
    2006: Vienna 2009: Berlin 2010: London ~ Berlin 2012: Amsterdam 1+2 ~ Werchter ~ Arras ~ Berlin 1+2
    2014: Milano ~ Trieste ~ Vienna ~ Berlin 2018: Padova ~ Rome 2022: Budapest ~ Vienna
    EV London/Hammersmith 2012
    EV Berlin/Zitadelle 2017
  • ChrysophylaxChrysophylax Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 101
    Any thoughts on why they didn't go all-in and played Ten in its entirety now that Dave was on drums?
    '00: London, Roskilde
    '06: San Francisco I-II-III, The Gorge I-II
    '06: Bern, Bologna, Verona, Milan, Turin, Pistoia
    '07: Copenhagen
    '09: Berlin
    '10: Berlin
    '12: Amsterdam I-II
    '14: Milan, Berlin
    '16: EV at Heartland Festival
    '18: Krakow, Berlin 
    '22: Berlin, Zürich, Copenhagen, Amsterdam I-II
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    Any thoughts on why they didn't go all-in and played Ten in its entirety now that Dave was on drums?
    possibilities: 
    1) they've already done a Ten show, twice
    2) Oceans has become a whale of sorts over the years. And maybe Release just didn't fit the pace of the rest of the set? 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,124
    possibilities: 
    1) they've already done a Ten show, twice
    2) Oceans has become a whale of sorts over the years. And maybe Release just didn't fit the pace of the rest of the set? 
    I doubt Ed had the range for Release with the stomach issue. My bet is it was a full 10 show.. Gimme no lip and Purple rain were subbed to save Eds voice... After Release was dropped Oceans was just a casualty.. as then it would be Ten without release ... WTF>.. I posted elsewhere - Perhaps we get Release, Oceans to open Sac.. along with Wash, Leash. and cover Ive got a feeling.. all done back in 91 with Dave Krusen... 
  • EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 688
    I don't get it that there is still so much room for complaining. I've been waiting for a PJ show for a long long time. I have tickets for 2 Europe Shows this summer...and I don't care what they play, the only thing that matters is that I am able to see my favorite band after years of absence. They can cover ABBA if they want, or the Kelly Family, or Mr. Iglesias..i don't care...i just want to be in the same room with the best live band on earth...
    Entitled snobs. Some wear it like a badge of honor. I'll never get it. 

I'll also never get people judging shows, they weren't at, by setlists. So strange.