Which Gigaton songs will be popular at shows in the long term?

2»

Comments

• lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 618
    Easy answer is none, anything post Yield is basically a rarity now. I’d love to see a post Yield tour, only songs from Binaural on, most fans would love it. Casual ones not so much.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,899
    i don’t think this one will make the cut but my personal favorite so far to see live from Gigaton is Take the Long Way. great song by Matt, it's quick and fun so I wouldn't mind it years from now. 
    I love that song too. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    Buckle Up
    I miss igotid88
  • chelseapj1chelseapj1 Posts: 16
    quick escape mainly 
    dotc sometimes 
    river cross at ev solo sets 
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    I think if the band had been able to tour straight after the album release we would’ve had at least 5-6 Gigaton per night, some more, some less depending on the night / city etc…but the albums two years old now. Obviously Matt’s illness has meant less songs at Oakland. I can still see 3-5 songs per night from here in in including Europe and the fall US shows. 
    They came out blazing Gigaton at Ohana despite the 18-month delay since its release.  Six of the first seven songs they played on night 1 at Ohana were from Gigaton.  I think they like playing the songs.  And, again, they trotted out eight of them in San Diego to start this tour.  I think their intention, if fully healthy, was to play 6-8 Gigaton songs per night (and fewer for second nights of two-night stands).  They played eight in San Diego, six on the first night in L.A., and had five on the prepared set list in Glendale (dropping "River Cross").  Oakland was a free-for-all whose sets shouldn't tell us much about what a "normal" show on this tour would look like.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • MM70435MM70435 Posts: 281
    BF25394 said:
    I think if the band had been able to tour straight after the album release we would’ve had at least 5-6 Gigaton per night, some more, some less depending on the night / city etc…but the albums two years old now. Obviously Matt’s illness has meant less songs at Oakland. I can still see 3-5 songs per night from here in in including Europe and the fall US shows. 
    They came out blazing Gigaton at Ohana despite the 18-month delay since its release.  Six of the first seven songs they played on night 1 at Ohana were from Gigaton.  I think they like playing the songs.  And, again, they trotted out eight of them in San Diego to start this tour.  I think their intention, if fully healthy, was to play 6-8 Gigaton songs per night (and fewer for second nights of two-night stands).  They played eight in San Diego, six on the first night in L.A., and had five on the prepared set list in Glendale (dropping "River Cross").  Oakland was a free-for-all whose sets shouldn't tell us much about what a "normal" show on this tour would look like.
    I certainly hope you are right but only 4 Gigaton songs were played at PHX with Matt.  I am hoping that trend does not continue that they cut back to 3-4 Gigaton songs because they were not as "well received" in SD and LA1.  I don't know why River Cross or Comes Then Goes did not open the first encore at the Oakland shows, instead we get the oh so 2003 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and Bee Girl.  I really love Gigaton and was looking forward to the customary 6-8 songs from whatever the newest album is.  I will be very disappointed if I only get 3-4 songs from it the rest of this tour.  And as far as the original question goes, no I don't think any Gigaton songs will have lasting power unfortunately.  Enjoy Gigaton now while you can because it is unfortunately doomed to extinction like all the post yield albums.  I think the best chance for a sporadic showing like MYM and Unthought Known have made is Seven O'Clock or maybe DOTC.  Great songs but my personal favorites are Whoever Said, Quick Escape, and Never Destination.
    00 - Atlanta                                            10 - MSG I&II    
    03 - Birmingham, Atlanta                       22 - L̶a̶s̶ ̶V̶e̶g̶a̶s̶, Camden, Nashville   
    04 - Asheville, Kissimmee                     23 -  Ft Worth II                                                                                
    08 - Tampa, Columbia                           24 -  Philadelphia I&II, Baltimore
    09 - Atlanta I&II (EV)
                    " if hope could grow from dirt like me. It can be done.
  • Obviously whatever groove they were getting into on this leg was derailed but I hope they get back into playing 6-8 Giga songs at each show, at least through the end of this year. The songs need to bed in so they can figure out which ones really work, and there’s no substitute for playing them a bunch in front of people. I hope we get a “Gigaton straight through” show just once this year.
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    edited May 2022
    MM70435 said:
    BF25394 said:
    I certainly hope you are right but only 4 Gigaton songs were played at PHX with Matt.  I am hoping that trend does not continue that they cut back to 3-4 Gigaton songs because they were not as "well received" in SD and LA1.  I don't know why River Cross or Comes Then Goes did not open the first encore at the Oakland shows, instead we get the oh so 2003 You've Got To Hide Your Love Away and Bee Girl.  I really love Gigaton and was looking forward to the customary 6-8 songs from whatever the newest album is.  I will be very disappointed if I only get 3-4 songs from it the rest of this tour.  And as far as the original question goes, no I don't think any Gigaton songs will have lasting power unfortunately.  Enjoy Gigaton now while you can because it is unfortunately doomed to extinction like all the post yield albums.  I think the best chance for a sporadic showing like MYM and Unthought Known have made is Seven O'Clock or maybe DOTC.  Great songs but my personal favorites are Whoever Said, Quick Escape, and Never Destination.
    There were five Gigaton songs on the original set list for PHX, which suggests that the reception in S.D. and L.A. (which, I should note, was plenty enthusiastic) was not a factor in determining the set.  "River Cross" seems to be a song that they're willing to drop if the mood isn't quite right, and they dropped it in PHX (along with "Come Back" and "In Hiding," with "Come Back" explicitly dropped because it is a sad song).

I just don't think we have any reliable data upon which to draw any conclusions that they're reluctant to play Gigaton songs.

Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • rock4everrock4ever Posts: 238
    Personally - in response to the Long Term bit of the question maybe a couple. However it could be non for me as I can't stand the album, that's just me.

• RR258111RR258111 Posts: 59
    My perception according to the recent shows attended,

1 - Quick Escape is so powerfull live and Mike really gives his energy on it;
    2 - 7'o clock is the EV preffered song of the album,
    3 - I see DOTC as an option to play for the rear stage crowd instead last kiss , whishlist, etc... 
    4 - Never destination, SPW and Take the long way, can fullfill any set;
    5 - Retrograde was a great surprise live, but I think we´ll not see often; 
    6 - Who ever said could be a good opening song....
    7 - Buckle up... made to encourage the audience to get a beer.
    8 - others.. will be "white whales" for fans who´s chasing it.

PJ - Irvine,CA (06,03,03) SP, Brazil (12,02,05), SP, Brazil (12,03,05) ,SP, Brazil (11,03,11),  SP, Brazil (11,04,11), SP, Brazil (03,31,13), SP, Brazil (11,14,15), Ft Lauderdale, FL (04,08,16), Miami, FL (04,09,16), SP,Brazil(03,24,18)Chicago, IL(08,18,18), Chicago, IL(08,20,18), San Diego, CA (05,03,22), Los Angeles, CA (05/06/22), Los Angeles, CA (05/07/22) , Oakland, CA(05/12/22), Los Angeles,CA (05/21/24), Los Angeles,CA(05/22/24) - EV - SP, Brazil 2015/2018, 

• CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    edited May 2022
    CROJAM95 said:
    the none posts

keep sending in your $20 a year

really....not 1 song on that album you like? really, not a single one

you gotta ask some questions of yourself.....if it aint fun, why?
    The thread didn't ask if there were any songs on the record people liked. The post asked which would stay in the set longterm. I don't think any will. It's also completely okay to love a band and not really like a record or, god forbid, more than one record that band has released. Some Neil Young records are pretty much unlistenable front-to-back. I'm not reaching for my copy of Dylan's Saved any time soon, etc. 
    1 song, only 1 needed off a critically acclaimed album

Odds in my favor