GA Line in Oakland SAFETY CONCERN & what we know from the 2013 show

I'm super excited to see the Oakland shows with everybodym who's attending! 
-I live in Oakland. Crime is serious here and the colisium is in a terrible area 
-A resturant owner was robbed at gunpoint on Fruitvale ave yesterday. A common occurance in all areas here.
-Golden 1 in Sacramento is an ideal situation/location (minus their recent shooting which elsewhere) See PJ there as well if you can
-It's a possibillity that even in broad daylight people could pull up and rob everyone in line in oakland
-Yes, 3 young women were robbed while waiting at the 2013 show. I was at the show. They made a sign and PJ played Faithful for them. 
-in 2013 myself and other fans showed independently up around the same time in the morning
-We pulled in by an entrance and stayed in our cars until more people arrived/the weather warmed up - It was in November
-In that area our cars could have been roadblocked by another should someone have bad intentions
-It turned out there was another group lined up on the other side of the arena/lot
-I witnessed amazing PJ fans calmy discuss the situation and combine the line. Beautiful. It was a guy in a supersonics shirt that he gave to Mike. If you're reading this please chime in :)
-Even knowing the danger, I still want to arrive in the morning for the full experience with everyone and enter early, maybe get a poster for a fan abroad etc.. I'll own that judgment call
-Maybe I'll stay in my car near the entrance until there's a group of us?
-Perhaps I won't take my wallet and just have my credit card/id in my sock/phone in spare tire area of car or in the underwear area?
Would feel great to be a part of an open line of communication for a safe line situation.
ANY THOUGHTS FROM GA OAKLAND PEOPLE?
Tagged:

Comments

• tpnicholstpnichols Posts: 1
    I was at that show in the seats behind the stage. I remember the young lady whose passport was stolen - she was from Brasil. I don’t plan on going to OAK this time since I no longer live in Reno. Going to the LAS show instead. Really great post with great information. I wish everyone a safe queuing and a wonderful experience. Enjoy the day!
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    Our rental car was broken into today, in broad daylight, parked across from the bar where we were grabbing dinner. Be careful. 

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,904
    Our rental car was broken into today, in broad daylight, parked across from the bar where we were grabbing dinner. Be careful. 

Brutal. Everything ok? 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,718
    Knowing all of this, why don't they play San Jose instead? I grew up there, and while downtown has a few sketchy places, it is not Oakland. The SAP Center was constructed after I left the Bay Area for the Navy, but people I know who still live there say it is a nice facility. It has decent parking and the light rail system goes really close to it.
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    edited May 2022
    Knowing all of this, why don't they play San Jose instead? I grew up there, and while downtown has a few sketchy places, it is not Oakland. The SAP Center was constructed after I left the Bay Area for the Navy, but people I know who still live there say it is a nice facility. It has decent parking and the light rail system goes really close to it.
    Great post and point. SAP is kinda sketchy in certain areas around the arena but tons of traffic and people make it a lot safer than Oakland. Hoping everyone has safe times and travels no matter where your seeing the greatest live band on earth. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
    100 Pacer said:

Brutal. Everything ok? 
    Thanks bud. Yeah, car was empty except my iPod, which they apparently didn’t want. Broke the little window in the back, pulled the seat down to see if there was anything in the trunk (empty). We were able to take the car back to the airport and swap it for another and my insurance should cover it. But when they say “don’t leave valuables in the car,” make sure to heed that warning. 
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    Costanza said:

I'm super excited to see the Oakland shows with everybodym who's attending! 
    -I live in Oakland. Crime is serious here and the colisium is in a terrible area 
    -A resturant owner was robbed at gunpoint on Fruitvale ave yesterday. A common occurance in all areas here.
    -Golden 1 in Sacramento is an ideal situation/location (minus their recent shooting which elsewhere) See PJ there as well if you can
    -It's a possibillity that even in broad daylight people could pull up and rob everyone in line in oakland
    -Yes, 3 young women were robbed while waiting at the 2013 show. I was at the show. They made a sign and PJ played Faithful for them. 
    -in 2013 myself and other fans showed independently up around the same time in the morning
    -We pulled in by an entrance and stayed in our cars until more people arrived/the weather warmed up - It was in November
    -In that area our cars could have been roadblocked by another should someone have bad intentions
    -It turned out there was another group lined up on the other side of the arena/lot
    -I witnessed amazing PJ fans calmy discuss the situation and combine the line. Beautiful. It was a guy in a supersonics shirt that he gave to Mike. If you're reading this please chime in :)
    -Even knowing the danger, I still want to arrive in the morning for the full experience with everyone and enter early, maybe get a poster for a fan abroad etc.. I'll own that judgment call
    -Maybe I'll stay in my car near the entrance until there's a group of us?
    -Perhaps I won't take my wallet and just have my credit card/id in my sock/phone in spare tire area of car or in the underwear area?
    Would feel great to be a part of an open line of communication for a safe line situation.
    ANY THOUGHTS FROM GA OAKLAND PEOPLE?
      Do you mean stay in your car INSIDE OF the arena's parking lot? 
       Cuz i don't wanna be a sitting target outside of it.  
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,904
    100 Pacer said:

Brutal. Everything ok? 
    Thanks bud. Yeah, car was empty except my iPod, which they apparently didn’t want. Broke the little window in the back, pulled the seat down to see if there was anything in the trunk (empty). We were able to take the car back to the airport and swap it for another and my insurance should cover it. But when they say “don’t leave valuables in the car,” make sure to heed that warning. 
    My rental will never make it back safely next week.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
     Like this suggestion. Glad you guys are ok @given2fly23- yet I don't like that That  happened to your rent car. 
    100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:

Brutal. Everything ok? 
    Almost no chance.
    NEweather said:
     Like this suggestion. Glad you guys are ok @given2fly23- yet I don't like that That  happened to your rent car. 
    Thank you. Make sure your personal insurance covers it or you get the rental insurance and definitely no valuables in your car.

• Wolf359Wolf359 Posts: 90
    is that why these shows are severely undersold?
  • craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,298
    where you guys parking for merch? I want to get in line at noon and then get my merch and leave - come back at 6-630p ... are there places to park free for short term ? 

• jcckjc1jcckjc1 Posts: 26
    I was going to Uber over from San Fran and get in the merch line. It doesn't look there are many places to hang afterwards until the show starts. Any suggestions?
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,718
    jcckjc1 said:
    I was going to Uber over from San Fran and get in the merch line. It doesn't look there are many places to hang afterwards until the show starts. Any suggestions?
    Jack London Square has some nice restaurants and shopping, but you would need to take another Uber to get there. 
  • jcckjc1jcckjc1 Posts: 26
    jcckjc1 said:
    Jack London Square has some nice restaurants and shopping, but you would need to take another Uber to get there. 
    Thank you
  • WMAmoricanWMAmorican Posts: 247
    There's a cool little neighborhood just north of downtown (easily walkable from BART) where the Fox and Paramount Theaters are, restaurants, bars, etc...Drake's is a good one. But the area around the venue has nothing, unless you're looking for a crime sandwich.
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    The guy who does the worst cities in America YouTube videos said Oakland traffic is very dangerous as well, since police don’t stop people for small infractions that could escalate into shootings etc. People speed, run lights, and have their way. Be careful all.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
    100 Pacer said:
    100 Pacer said:

Brutal. Everything ok? 
    Almost no chance.
    NEweather said:
    Thank you. Make sure your personal insurance covers it or you get the rental insurance and definitely no valuables in your car.

I got the rental insurance, and didn't carry any valuables, as you suggested. We had a safe night Oak1. It was fun. #2 here we go