Glendale, AZ
North American Tour 2022
05/09/22
Show
Set List

Eddie Vedder on stage 7:30
Far Behind

Josh Klinghoffer on stage 7:35
Stone joins for Brad song Buttercup-(Smith, Gossard, Hagar, Tolback)

PEARL JAM
Band Onstage 8:48
Band Offstage 11:15

01. Wash
02. Given To Fly
{Car trouble in Gila Bend}
03. Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town
04. Corduroy
05. Quick Escape
{Ed thanks the Arizona Coyotes for letting the band use their stage and mentions a couple of his favorite players}
06. Why Go
07. Superblood Wolfmoon
08. Alright
{Ed appreciated the electronic highway sign that read “Even Flow on the gas keep left to pass”}
09. Even Flow
10. Dance Of The Clairvoyants
{The next song was requested by astronaut Scott Kelly}
11. Black
12. I Got ID
13. Red Mosquito
{Ed would rather die surfing giant waves or crashing into buses like Evel Knievel rather than from Covid}
14. Sleeping By Myself
{Ed talks about the politician they like, Gabby Giffords and politicians they don’t like.  Arizona Governor Ducey who is anti-abortion even in cases of rape and incest.   They put a number on the screens that people can text for voting information supporting a women’s right to choose
Text CHOICE to
855-812-VOTE}
15. Daughter
16. Porch

Encore Break
{Ed’s niece Molly is here tonight.  She is graduating from college soon.  Only the second Vedder to do so apparently.  Ed is so happy for Molly he decides to skip a song on the set list and go right to…}
17. Smile
{The loved ones Ed and others have lost.  He mentions his uncle and Taylor Hawkins.  One person that passed away when the band couldn’t play shows but he meant a lot to the band was Eddie Van Halen}
18. Eruption-(Van Halen)
19. Do The Evolution
20. Better Man/Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) :51 seconds
21. Leaving Here-(Holland, Holland, Dozier)
22. Alive
23. Yellow Ledbetter

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Comments

• Options
    Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 1,748
    edited May 2022
    Amazing show, my 30th. Almost skipped it. Soo happy. Never heard Wash, Sleeping By Myself before. Only 4 new songs was a good thing with this sold out crowd. Eruption I have actually seen 4x, this was his tightest version 
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,378
    These setlists remind me of the 2000 tour and I'm here for it.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,954
    They scratched In Hiding....would love to hear that one again in Oakland
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,715
    Man that’s a tough scratch. In hiding is one of the best live songs imo. 
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    nicknyr15 said:
    Man that’s a tough scratch. In hiding is one of the best live songs imo. 
    100%
     It should be a staple. With faithful every show. And solat
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Solid Set List.  What an Awesome Band, but we all know this here....  Red Mosquito, Why Go, Wash, Evolution, Eruption, Escape....and yes, In Hiding should never be scratched off.     :)
    Stay off the politics speeches would be my wish as well.

• Options
    honestly I agree with Ed's politics but I don't want to hear it either...play In Hiding instead

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,766
    It's the astronaut's fault. Black is a classic fan pleaser for sure. In hiding is just plain awesome! My bud went to her first show a while ago when they played wash, satans bed, leaving here and didn't really like it. Didn't hear any popular songs she knew. I thought it was sick! A tough balance to keep. Maybe do a deep cuts show and a classic hits show? Happy and happy. 
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    honestly I agree with Ed's politics but I don't want to hear it either...play In Hiding instead
    Tough to hear Ed say, “Elections have consequences” with everything that’s happened in a year and a half. 

And yeah, it’s rough seeing In Hiding scratched for anything. 
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    BloodMeridian80BloodMeridian80 Seattle Posts: 574
    No politics from Ed and the band? Uh, that’s what he does, especially when people’s freedoms are being attacked by a gov’t that’s supposed to hold church and state separate. I’d expect more of it going forward, especially second US leg. 

Great opener with Wash, never disappoints. Thought all the Gigaton songs sounded good, though Ed flubbed lyrics to Superblood. Surprised how good Alright sounded live. Anyone recognize the intro ‘jam’ to Corduroy? 

Other highlights: Even Flow Santa, I Got Id into Red Mosquito (In Hiding at the front of that duo would of been unreal, shoulda left the astronaut in space - kidding), Smile, and Leaving Here.

Side note: I think they could pull off a great, close to album version of WMA. The tag approached that level with Josh’s added percussion.
  • Options
    gotthebottlegotthebottle San Diego Posts: 2,346
    Me too... this was my 3rd show this tour and I'm frustrated. I'm sure it's great that Molly is graduating but he spent alot of time looking for her and then talking... scratching a song, 😡😡😡😡.
    And I had to hear the Tesla, bike story again.... thanks for Wash though. 
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    Yeah, I thought the percussion/drums at the end of Daughter were great.  I knew it wasn’t going to happen but I was thinking they could jump right into WMA legit right now.  

I may have lost my hearing over the years but it didn’t seem that loud overall.  Especially the first three songs.  

Alright was really interesting live.  You could hear a pin drop in the arena.  Just a really unique song.  I wonder if it will ever turn into a singalong as it could be really powerful.

Leaving Here was a great surprise and is a treat like any white whale we are all searching for at these shows.

it was fun to watch Jeff especially during Quick Escape.  The bass is huge in that song and he gets into it.

Crowd was really great from my perspective.  They admittedly did something cheesy (Ed said first time) and they had different sections of the crowd compete to be the loudest.  Cheesy but who doesn’t enjoy that?

Red Mosquito was for the scorpions instead of the mosquitos per Ed.  Ed told Mike not to get excited about Scorpions (the band).

Ed mentioned riding his bike in San Diego and hearing someone in a Tesla roll up next to him playing DOTC.  Ed said he waived and the lady looked at him like he was a homeless man or something.  Ha.

I have said before that I wish the crowd would let Ed take Daughter’s tag where he wants to versus the crowd starting into the call and response section.  Cool though that the crowd is engaged.  

Great night.  I wonder sometimes if at some point one show will be enough but not yet.
  • Options
    I hate the call and response stuff...at any concert

• Options
    noahbena57noahbena57 Posts: 22
    In Hiding and Come Back both scratched, but man that show was fantastic. Still freaking out over Wash intro straight into GTF, amazing start to the show!
    ~It's funny how things change so much, it's all state of mind~

October 1, Ohana Encore 2021
    October 2, Ohana Encore 2021
    May 9, Phoenix AZ 2022
    September 2, St. Paul MN 2023

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,284
    Ok 23-25 songs to little, no political speeches Uhmm what else to complain about, I’m glad he’s keeping the current events in the spotlight! 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    DC111483DC111483 Posts: 51
    Great show. So much to share and so excited to hear No Code. While we can gripe about “story time Ed” I wouldn’t trade it for anything. They played what they wanted and said what they wanted to and I was down for it all. Tight performance and everyone in the arena- on stage and off- was having a blast. 

I get what Ed meant about the vibe and not wanting to interrupt it with Come Back but that would’ve been awesome to hear- same with In Hiding. Where In Hiding was slated in the set would’ve been unreal. After two consecutive scratches from the setlist I’m curious how River Cross fits live. I wanted to hear it badly but it didn’t seem like it was going to work in the middle of that encore set. Maybe it’s better suited for an opener- either show opener or encore? Would love to hear it when I see them again in Nashville. 

Safe travels to everyone who’s headed home or to the next show. 
  • Options
    wiscojamwiscojam Appleton Posts: 301
    I cringe at it ever time
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,846
    Agree.  Totally lame.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,749
    Banter adds to making a concert more engaging than an album. Keep it going.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    BR223133BR223133 Posts: 82
    Great set, great show, great energy, great crowd!  See you in Vegas next week!
    1992: 7/25 Denver, CO (Lollapalooza)
    1993: 11/30 Las Vegas, NV (Vault #5) - 12/1 Las Vegas, NV
    1998: 7/11 Las Vegas, NV
    2000: 10/22 Las Vegas, NV (10th anniversary)
    2003: 4/1 Denver, CO
    2006: 7/3 Denver, CO
    2014: 10/22 Denver, CO
    2020: 4/11 Phoenix, AZ
    2022: 5/9 Phoenix, AZ - 5/20 Las Vegas, NV

Eddie Vedder/Earthlings
    2022: 10/7 Las Vegas, NV
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,158
    RE: politics.  I am somewhat in alignment with the band's politics.  On the one hand, I get frustrated when people say they don't want to hear artists talk about politics because the art is political. If you're writing anti-war songs or songs about choice, as the band has been doing since the beginning, it seems strange to be taken aback when the artist talks about those issues.  On the other hand, I understand how the speeches can come across as tone-deaf and, most importantly, I think that they may be counterproductive, i.e., that the backlash against outspoken artists and athletes is greater than the galvanization of like-minded folks that is intended.

RE: the show (my 67th).  This was a fantastic crowd-- early arriving, full all the way to the top, many fewer empty seats than previous shows on this tour-- but also a decent chunk left early.  A couple showed up in the row in front of me at 10 p.m.  They saw the last four songs of the main set. Then they left.  They seemed to really enjoy those four songs, so I don't think they weren't having a good time.  Overall, the crowd was enthusiastic and responsive, and the band was on fire, especially early.  Having seen two shows at that venue now (the other was in 2013), I think it's an underappreciated spot.

I am crushed to hear that they scratched "In Hiding" and "Come Back."  "Come Back" is one of my probably five favorite PJ songs.  I had no expectations of ever hearing it live again.  I really hope they add that back at one of the upcoming shows.  (And play "Comes Then Goes," you p***ies. :) )  Maybe meld the two together and play "Comes Back Then Goes."

To the poster who complained about hearing the Tesla story twice, you're talking about shows in two different cities.  The vast majority of people at the show last night will only be at that show.  You shouldn't expect an artist not to repeat a story for a small minority of people who were at another show in another city.  I heard the story in San Diego, too, and I enjoyed seeing the Phoenix crowd react to it.

I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Wait, how many times did he tell the Tesla story?  Did he say happened the same way in different cities?
  • Options
    Wait, how many times did he tell the Tesla story?  Did he say happened the same way in different cities?
    He said it happened in San Diego. I don't know what he talked about in other cities, but guessing it was probably San Diego, where this apparently happened.
  • Options
    This was my 11th show and I thought the crowd might have been the best I've been a part of (did notice a lot had left by/during the encore, though), and I think I enjoyed the banter as much as I ever have. It added a lot to the show for me. To each their own, but it's part of the experience.

The set was great (hear Red Mosquito and Smile in the same set for the second time!). I am with everyone else on In Hiding and Come Back. Especially the latter for me, would have been the third song I haven't heard live along with Sleeping by Myself and Alright. I like Black a lot, but that's a tough trade. For some reason I Got Shit was the song I didn't know I wanted and really made the night for me.

I have been to two really long sets -- Denver 14 and Seattle 2 in 18 -- I love them as much as anyone. But, I don't feel shorted by this set or length at all. Thought it was a great mix and pace. Awesome night. 
  • Options
    He said it happened in San Diego. I don't know what he talked about in other cities, but guessing it was probably San Diego, where this apparently happened.
    Gotcha, thanks
  • Options
    PJWGIIIPJWGIII Chicago, IL Posts: 806
    It's hard to headline my reaction to this show with the tough scratches, but there is certainly a reason everyone else is doing that. In Hiding is easily one of their most underplayed tracks, and it especially hurts knowing at this point how much the band shares in our love for that one. Of course, I'd take an album debut over some bread and butter — especially when Ed's actual shoutouts, despite his mood when as things rambled on, actually did fit for the song and encore to still be played through as planned.

Biggest highlights for me included Wash, I Got Shit, and Red Mosquito — Mike is just on another level right now, with both unmatched energy and exploration of new sounds. At the end of the day, this show made me grateful that this band is still exploring new things, whether it's songwriting, set construction, making up for lost time on dedications, etc. I wouldn't be surprised if we get to the end of this run and they're still debuting different openers, not to mention songs in the middle. My hope is that it carries into a return of RVM in place of Porch at some point, and removing any of the little monotony that remains.

The second two-night stand of the tour awaits. Let's do this!
    "Red Rover, Red Rover, Mike McCready – Take Over!!" - E.V.

Ten Club "Ambassador" (recap-writer) - DEEP.pearljam.com
    : Chicago 2 (Wrigley Field) 8/20 | 20(20)22: St Louis 9/18 | 2023: Chicago 2 (United Center) 9/7, Indianapolis (Deer Creek) 9/10

EV:
    2018: CURE Benefit Show (Chicago - Navy Pier) 10/15

RIP: Andy, Kurt, Chris
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,158
    It happened in San Diego when they were rehearsing for the tour.  He told the story first at the San Diego show, then repeated it at the Glendale show.  The details of the story were the same.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,046
    Agreed. Never translates well
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,180
    For some reason I found this show kind of average.  A good PJ show, but nothing really that exciting.  Also can the next time they play Daughter PLEASE add IT’S OK! It’s so annoying when it ends without it.  That’s NOT OK!!
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023