Options

*** Pearl Jam Los Angeles, CA Fanviews 5/7/22 ***

Comments

• Options
    The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 539
    this was a top 10 show for me, honestly probably closer to top 5-7ish. Again you just simply cannot beat being in The Forum, its the best place for a concert I've ever been to. Once they played Release I knew it was going to be a special evening and the energy going right into G2F and DTE was off the charts. I almost wished they played Corduroy and a few other songs to get the crowd really pumping and the stage bouncing. The crowd was really, really good last night so props to everyone who attended and participated in singing along. 

Quick Escape's ending is insane. Take the Long Way since it is a Matt song I can weirdly almost picture Cornell singing it too, very Soundgarden-y to me which I love. 7 o'clock is hard to place in sets (much like Buckle Up) but it ends strong, I love all of Gigaton so it was great to a get a large chunk of it nights 1 and 2.

Immortality, the Taylor Hawkins tribute, Unthought Known (really got the crowd going), Daughter (without a tag!) Glorified, Lukin, I Believe in Miracles and Garden -- just wow. An insane stretch, one of the better versions of Garden too.

Leash was incredible like others have said and to end with Indifference is always special. So glad they brought it for night 2, you just knew a saturday show in LA was going to be off the charts and it was. I was sad to leave, but looking forward to Vegas!
    Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • Options
    ianh42ianh42 Posts: 196
    I just have to say how awesome this week was with 3 PJ shows in 5 days!  A huge THANKS to the Fan Club and an even bigger one to the Band.  Eddie puts his heart and soul into every show, and for him and the rest of the guys to do this at such a high level after all of these years blows my mind.  Thank you thank you thank you!!!

LA2 rocked BIG time.  It felt old school with Release as the opener and Indifference closing out the show along with so many from Ten and Vs.  I was thrilled to hear Unthought Known and great story how that made the setlist with Eddie's request list to the crowd pre-show before he nailed Wildflowers.  He sounds so great and hope for the rest of those going this tour that his voice holds.  We are done after SD/LA1/LA2 and it was fantastic to have been on this run this week. 

I hope we don't have 8+ years in between SD/LA shows again, but I'm so grateful and know that I'm privileged to be able to have seen them as much as I have.  I hope all going to the upcoming shows enjoy half as much as I did!
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    I got some pretty great photos. Sorry Matt...didn't leave you out intentionally.  Eddie was blocking my view of you all night LOL
    Living in a SOLAT...SJ 11/95 SD 11/95 BB 10/96 Oak 11/97 SD 7/98 LA 7/98 BB 10/99 LV 10/00 San B 10/00 Irvine 6/03 SD 6/03 LA 7/06 Fonda 7/06 SB 7/06 DC 6/08 LA 9-30 10-6 & 10-7-09 SD 10-9-09 SD 11/13 LA1&2 11/13 MIL 10/14 OHANA FEST 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021 (EV, PJ and PJ Encore 1) SD 5/3/22 LA 5/6/22 LA 5/7/22 Fresno 5/16/22

ISO Tickets for Los Angeles both nights...I got shut out of the 2024 Ten Club tickets :-(
  • Options
    UmphreysJam34UmphreysJam34 Posts: 777
    Great show overall. Crowd was going nuts for Release, GTF, DTE. I wish they would keep Low Light for later in the set as it was a bit of a buzz kill and brought the crowd down after such a great start. 
  • Options
    ScorpcuzScorpcuz Posts: 77
    The ending of the main set was fucking awesome because they just ripped through every song. No breaks. No Eddie stories. Just ripped through them.

To be honest, these crowds kind of suck…definitely not like the east coast 😉….but the band sounds great. Eddie sounded amazing yet again, but this time on a back to back

Highlights:
    Eddie - “I’m not gonna let her out sparkle me, that bitch!” (Paraphrasing here)
    Immortality, Garden, Glorified G, Unthought…and Leash was a great surprise (no more “lucky” back to “fuckin”
    East coast bias much? West coast crowds are evrey bit as passionate and enthusiastic as anybody. Just not as obnoxcious as east coasters!
  • Options
    csilver22csilver22 Posts: 51
    Please pardon my ignorance if this is something that everyone else here besides me knows, but has Matt ever before sung lead vocals on a song at a Pearl Jam show? 
  • Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    csilver22 said:
    Please pardon my ignorance if this is something that everyone else here besides me knows, but has Matt ever before sung lead vocals on a song at a Pearl Jam show? 
    In Rome 2018 but he stayed at the drums I think 
  • Options
    iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,522
    csilver22 said:
    He sang 'Black Diamond' at the Vic Theater show.
  • Options
    estarr31estarr31 Posts: 569
    Pinching myself after such a great PJ weekend in LA. Loved night 1 but you can't beat the setlist from night 2. Release opener! GTF into Evolution were great. And then Immortality!! What a freaking song. Thrilled to get Garden, Leash, and Indifference. 

They sounded awesome! Eddie is pouring his heart and soul out there - maxing out each song. If they need to play 23-25 songs to keep the standard high for the rest of the tour. So be it if they sound this great. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • Options
    csilver22csilver22 Posts: 51
    edited May 2022
    Thank you JPPJ84 and and iOnlyownMymind for the info about Matt - looks like he's sung Black Diamond twice with PJ. 

I was at a Springsteen show the only time Max Weinberg has ever sung lead on a song, and was wondering if once again I was seeing drummer vocal history. Matt's performance was really wonderful, very moving. 
    Post edited by csilver22 on
  • Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Great show overall. Crowd was going nuts for Release, GTF, DTE. I wish they would keep Low Light for later in the set as it was a bit of a buzz kill and brought the crowd down after such a great start. 
    Low Light a bit of a buzz kill? I watched the live stream of the show and felt it fit in perfectly after DTE myself. But I get your point, when the energy gets going after G2F & DTE, you just want them to keep rolling with the rockers. 
  • Options
    bendhair23bendhair23 Posts: 103
    Can confirm that Matt sang Black Diamond in Rome, but stayed at his drum set. This was only 2 shows after they had to pause for Eddie's voice issues in London. 
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,226
    Random thoughts after three shows:

First: Matt. Wow. That was such a nice tribute to Taylor Hawkins, and Matt brought serious front-man charisma with his performance. Plus, he's making (almost) 60 look pretty damn good; that was the motivation I needed to tear into this morning's run.

Set length: we were confused by the shorter shows, especially last week in SD, when we looked at each other and said, "Alive? Already??" But TBH, as an old woman who normally gets up at 4:30, 11:00 felt plenty late. So I'm not going to complain.

Immortality! I was hoping to hear that, because it's such an amazing live song, so I was thrilled to hear it Saturday night.

7:00: I love that song, but it feels like the live version hasn't quite hit its stride. Maybe it's the tempo? I don't know. The faster-paced Gigaton songs sound GREAT live, though.

In general, I thought the guys sounded great and Ed's voice was in decent shape. As someone noted in the LA 1 fanviews thread, I think, Ed seemed tired -- more in SD and on Friday than on Saturday, to be fair -- but the mom in me was worried about him.

We ended up seated next to the same couple on both nights, so hello to you, 10C member with a number around 420xxx; that hasn't happened to me since the Spectrum shows.

Obligatory crowd commentary: it was nice to see some dudes near us who were rocking out just as hard to the Gigaton songs as they were to Even Flow. Beyond that, I was surprised by how many staggeringly drunk middle-aged men were trying to navigate the stairs and/or instigate something. It's a testament to the goodwill of people in our section that they reacted to "Dive Bar," who nearly dumped his beer on eight different people, with calm and an occasional disarming hug rather than with aggression. They chose to defuse rather than escalate the situation, and I have a lot of respect for that. 
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,910
    Fantastic experience.  I felt like they were not trying to speed through the songs.  They sounded great.  Thankful they didn't have a long rambling end to Daughter.  I never thought the Another Brick in the Wall thing at the end of Daughter sounded good or was fun.  Whereas the Save it for later on Betterman was great.  Quick Escape was a pleasant surprise.  Sounded way better than the live versions I heard on PJ radio, way better.  For the most part, over the years, my shows were average.  Don't get me wrong, average for PJ is fantastic.  But on 2 night stands, I always had the lesser night, missing out rarities or favorites I was hoping for.  That all ended on LA2.  I always wanted Leash, Garden, Glorified G and got them.  They really played in earnest.  I noticed someone playing guitar way in the back, behind Mike.  Who was that?  Talking about a quick escape, I was in parking section B and someone opened a gate to Manchester and I was out of the lot in 2 minutes.  I've been in 10c analog since 2002, number 251xxx, and I can't believe how far back I was.  Mid-rear floor is not good for a 5'9" person.  In San Diego 2003, I barely saw anything.  A wall of tall people in front of me.  Sec F row 7 in LA, I was doomed for the same but the people in front of me were in the 5'6" range so I saw better.  I think I prefer being up the sides from an ability-to-see perspective.  The sound quality in the Forum was great.  I hope that translates onto the bootleg.  All-in-all, great.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,118
    That’s Josh Klinghoffer of Pluralone and formerly RHCP. He’s a touring member. Also played on the Earthlings!
  • Options
    dottorefioredottorefiore Posts: 8
    edited May 2022
    Another long-time fan club member here (1992). My first shows were Vs tour in the spring of 1993. I have seen 20+ shows over the years. LA night 2 was one of the best of them all and I have seen them in some of their favorite cities Boston (countless times), New York, Seattle and LA. I was at both Fenway shows in 2018 and this show was far superior to both of those shows. The band's energy was fantastic, Eddie's voice sounded great and the setlist was fantastic! Sure, it would be nice if they played more songs but I by no means felt "cheated." I'd rather have a setlist this length that is awesome and played amazingly than a longer setlist that is not as good and with the band not in top form. I've seen a couple duds in my day (LA 2013 night two was just okay and I saw a show in Boston at TD Garden in mid 2000s which was also blah). I had the good fortune of meeting Matt Chamberlin a few weeks ago (long story). It was so cool hearing some of his memories from his PJ days. He mentioned that PJ is in the studio here in Beverly Hills, recording a new album. I'm not a fan of Gigaton but I must say that the Gigaton selections sounded better live than on the album and worked well with the rest of the setlist. The entire show flowed seamlessly and it went by in a flash. A top 5 PJ show for me. 
    Post edited by dottorefiore on
  • Options
    walkunafraidwalkunafraid Posts: 2,557
    edited May 2022
    Not much to be said that hasn't already been written, but I'd like to say that I walked away from this show with the thought that it might be my favorite PJ set of all time. I've been to a relatively robust 23 shows in total, so that's saying quite a lot.

Got to be in GA both nights in LA, which I'm unbelievably grateful for. There's something about being that close and not having to be distracted (as much) by texters/talkers/drunkards that makes things extra special.

Release is my favorite live track and it brought me to near tears Saturday. 

Going to that as the opener and then transitioning to GTF->DTE made the beginning of the show super energetic. We were bouncing up and down for the latter two songs.

Too many highlights to name, but I'd like to congratulate myself on wrapping up my first complete album. With Glorified G and Leash gloriously in the setlist, I've now seen all of the songs on Vs. performed live. Very stoked and a bit surprised that it ended up being my first given that I needed only one song on each of Ten (Deep), Avocado (Army Reserve), Lightning Bolt (Let the Records Play), and Gigaton (Comes Then Goes) going into the week.

This was supposed to be final show of the tour (SD/LA1/LA2), but I left on such a high that I bought tickets for Vegas the next day. Can't wait until the 20th.
    Post edited by walkunafraid on
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • Options
    Not much to be said that hasn't already been written, but I'd like to say that I walked away from this show with the thought that it might be my favorite PJ set of all time. I've been to a relatively robust 23 shows in total, so that's saying quite a lot.

Got to be in GA both nights in LA, which I'm unbelievably grateful for. There's something about being that close and not having to be distracted (as much) by texters/talkers/drunkards that makes things extra special.

Going to that as the opener and then transitioning to GTF->DTE made the beginning of the show super energetic. We were bouncing up and down for the latter two songs.

Too many highlights to name, but I'd like to congratulate myself on wrapping up my first complete album. With Glorified G and Leash gloriously in the setlist, I've now seen all of the songs on Vs. performed live. Very stoked and a bit surprised that it ended up being my first given that I needed only one song on each of Ten (Deep), Avocado (Army Reserve), Lightning Bolt (Let the Records Play), and Gigaton (Comes Then Goes) going into the week.

This was supposed to be final show of the tour (SD/LA1/LA2), but I left on such a high that I bought tickets for Vegas the next day. Can't wait until the 20th.
    Oh wow...super envious.  My wife and I went to all three SD/LA1/LA2 and debated whether to do a fourth. Great call on Vegas and I'm thinking Oakland nights will be epic.  AZ set list is killer and wishing they did Why Go/Red Mosquito/I got sh!t mixed in to the two LA shows.  I'd gladly have given up Jeremy and any of the other cross overs.  Not sure why they couldn't bust out RVM instead of Porch one of the three nights but at this point I'm just being greedy LOL

• Options
    Another long-time fan club member here (1992). My first shows were Vs tour in the spring of 1993. I have seen 20+ shows over the years. LA night 2 was one of the best of them all and I have seen them in some of their favorite cities Boston (countless times), New York, Seattle and LA. I was at both Fenway shows in 2018 and this show was far superior to both of those shows. The band's energy was fantastic, Eddie's voice sounded great and the setlist was fantastic! Sure, it would be nice if they played more songs but I by no means felt "cheated." I'd rather have a setlist this length that is awesome and played amazingly than a longer setlist that is not as good and with the band not in top form. I've seen a couple duds in my day (LA 2013 night two was just okay and I saw a show in Boston at TD Garden in mid 2000s which was also blah). I had the good fortune of meeting Matt Chamberlin a few weeks ago (long story). It was so cool hearing some of his memories from his PJ days. He mentioned that PJ is in the studio here in Beverly Hills, recording a new album. I'm not a fan of Gigaton but I must say that the Gigaton selections sounded better live than on the album and worked well with the rest of the setlist. The entire show flowed seamlessly and it went by in a flash. A top 5 PJ show for me. 
    That's fricking awesome...I take for granted how many complete albums I've likely heard.  I wanted Comes Than Goes more than any other song and I don't get why Ed's not busting that one out.  It is my fav on Gigaton.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808

I was actually wondering yesterday how many people already have the full Gigaton album finished after these few shows and the festival shows. 
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,835

I was actually wondering yesterday how many people already have the full Gigaton album finished after these few shows and the festival shows. 
    Without Comes Then Goes, none.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,808
    GlowGirl said:

ah, didn't realize that one hadn't been played yet
    Darwinspeed, all. 

Cheers,

HFD

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,148
    GlowGirl said:

Pearl Jam, if you're reading this: play "Comes Then Goes," you p***ies!!!  :)
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    GlowGirl said:

They won't until it's a special occasion, if they ever do. Would have to be Cornell's birthday or something like that. It's too emotional. The best song EV has ever written. 
    Dallas 98
    Dallas 2000
    Kansas City 2000
    St. Louis 2000
    Memphis 2000
    OKC 2003
    Dallas 2003
    Kansas City 2003
    Little Rock 2003
    Cincinnati 2006
    Vegas 2006
    EV Los Angeles 2008 x 2
    VH1 Rock Honors the Who 2008 
    Berlin 2009
    Los Angeles 2009 x 4
    The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 2009
    Los Angeles 2013 x 2
    Tulsa 2014
    EV Ohana 2016
    Ohana 2021 x 4
    Los Angeles 2022 x 2
  • Options
    SharksnwchSharksnwch Posts: 37
    Here's a few from L.A. 2.  Great Fucking Show

• Options
    edited May 2022
    BF25394 said:
    GlowGirl said:

They won't until it's a special occasion, if they ever do. Would have to be Cornell's birthday or something like that. It's too emotional. The best song EV has ever written. 
    How do you know for certain that song is about Cornell? I think it's more about his brother that passed.  Either way I still feel like Eddie has not dealt with Cornell's loss properly, not that addressing it publicly is proper.  I just wish Cornell was still here.  Tears me up thinking about it every time I hear him sing with that crazy good voice.  I think he/they will play it at some point.  They are not p***ies and have dealt with some impossible sh!t like Roskilde and every major massive topic and problem in this world.  Suicide is not one that doesn't touch us all. 

Somebody better have that video going when they do play it!
    Post edited by ianh42 on

• Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,148
    ianh42 said:
    How do you know for certain that song is about Cornell? I think it's more about his brother that passed.  Either way I still feel like Eddie has not dealt with Cornell's loss properly, not that addressing it publicly is proper.  I just wish Cornell was still here.  Tears me up thinking about it every time I hear him sing with that crazy good voice.  I think he/they will play it at some point.  They are not p***ies and have dealt with some impossible sh!t like Roskilde and every major massive topic and problem in this world.  Suicide is not one that doesn't touch us all. 

Somebody better have that video going when they do play it!
    The smiley face was intended to convey that I was joking when calling them p***ies for not playing it.  I was just teasing them because it's the only Gigaton song that hasn't been played yet.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,122
    Mens bathroom attendant on Floor area, talkin bout “ loose booty night” cracked me up both nights

threw him a few bucks for makin my visits comic gold… funny dude

the Forum was awesome, great great concert venue

• Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 798
    CROJAM95 said:
    Mens bathroom attendant on Floor area, talkin bout “ loose booty night” cracked me up both nights

Hah, I was in there to witness some of his funny talk as well.  
  • Options
    DEGBTIDEGBTI san diego Posts: 903
    CROJAM95 said:

Hah, I was in there to witness some of his funny talk as well.  
    HAHA, me too. I was like, wtf is going on in here!!