a good fuzz is hard to find.

exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
edited April 2005 in Musicians and Gearheads
i brought the fulltone 70 home to audition it all weekend. it's nice as long as you've got the right amp but it's just not what i need. i need germanium.

the dunlop fuzzface reissue has already been eliminated.

next up is probably the dunlop JH-2S classic fuzz. it's germanium. it's small. we'll see.

it sucks not having access to many lines here. the fulltone was a trade-in. that's the only reason they had it.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• you've just gotta know where to look

a few good places I've come across:

http://www.fruitnvegweek.health.wa.gov.au/for_schools/banana.gif

and

http://www.bananarepublic.com
    WE'RE FAITHFULL
    WE ALL BELIEVE
    WE ALL BELIEVE IT
  • exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    here's an idea: fuck off.
  • Stones Fault~!!

Hahaha

Laugh Out Ooud!!!
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    nothing from dunlop will cut it for you likely.

You'll probably dig the classic fuzz from roger mayer but there's no bias control.

The sun face is the best I know of, and you could get the dunlop modded to the proper specs and components by analogman for a fee.

the 69 fits what you are looking for better perhaps, depending on the amp and how loud you run it (the deal with all fuzzes really, they are finiky)

another option would be to beg and plead with dave fox to build you one or buy several of his fuzz cards, and build your own around them.

I know he's selling a hybrid fuzz concept right now, if it's got a fuzz card you could swap it for a more classic germanium sound.

Jacques also has The Mercer Box custom version that might suit you

I think the Foxrox stuff might appeal to you since you aren't really stuck with one sound, you can change if you want.

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/stufforsale.html
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i wish he'd just release a stand alone fuzzfoot in the nice enclosure. i'd write him and try to describe what i want but i'll sound like an idiot.

gary louris's fuzz from early jayhawks' records. that's what i want.

i guess i'll save up and look at an analogman sunface at some point unless a '69 pops up first. anything custom from fox is going to be as much as the sunface anyway.
    exhausted wrote:
    i wish he'd just release a stand alone fuzzfoot in the nice enclosure. i'd write him and try to describe what i want but i'll sound like an idiot.

gary louris's fuzz from early jayhawks' records. that's what i want.

i guess i'll save up and look at an analogman sunface at some point unless a '69 pops up first. anything custom from fox is going to be as much as the sunface anyway.

why not find a dunlop cheap or even a 69 fuzz and describe what you want to Analog Mike. He might be able to do it for you.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • enharmonicenharmonic Posts: 1,917
    Before you spend another dime in your search for a fuzz, buy this one...

http://www.analogman.com/fuzzface.htm

My guess is that your search will be over, but if not...hit me up. I have a few more ideas.

Good luck. Finding a good fuzz is like finding a good woman.
  • mccreadyisgodmccreadyisgod Posts: 6,395
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    the 69 fits what you are looking for better perhaps, depending on the amp and how loud you run it (the deal with all fuzzes really, they are finiky)

Yeah... I'd probably audition a '69 before anything else, if I was in the market for fuzz...
    ...and if you don't like it, you can suck on an egg.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    why not find a dunlop cheap or even a 69 fuzz and describe what you want to Analog Mike. He might be able to do it for you.

there's an analogman modded dunlop on ebay right now that i've got bookmarked. just trying to figure out what to put as a max on it. it's modded to '66 specs which should be about perfect.

there is also a NKT275 sunface with sundial which is what i would get from him if i were to order one. however, i think a '69 would get me there for a slightly less insane price.
  • I should be sending in my Fuzz Face to analogman pretty soon to have him do his magic, and will let you know how I like it.

Right now i actually have a Fulltone 70' Fuzz, running through a Fender Twin and I am very pleased with it. It had a bit more grit than the 69' Fuzz.
    And if hope could grow from dirt like me, it can be done
    DirtLikeMe wrote:
    I should be sending in my Fuzz Face to analogman pretty soon to have him do his magic, and will let you know how I like it.

how much is that going to run? looks like you can run it up to $85 with the options.
    http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.filereader?4264823104462ae02741d94dcd01063e+EN/products/12107

ex, here is a page of the roger mayer classic (early) fuzz with sound clips.

there's one on ebay for less than 110 us.
    Pacomc79 wrote:
    http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/customsounds.filereader?4264823104462ae02741d94dcd01063e+EN/products/12107

ex, here is a page of the roger mayer classic (early) fuzz with sound clips.

there's one on ebay for less than 110 us.
    that's pretty much it right there. too bad the auction's US only.
    exhausted wrote:
    that's pretty much it right there. too bad the auction's US only.

oh, damn. sorry about that.
    it's ok. i read the reviews of it and didn't exactly get the warm fuzzies.
    exhausted wrote:
    it's ok. i read the reviews of it and didn't exactly get the warm fuzzies.

well the issue has always been that RM's seem to not sound great except at stage volume but this may be true with most fuzzes. I also have reliability questions, yeah RM did tons of research and was the man when he did all of Hendrix's stuff the company now is more or less interested in making money. It still sounds good (really good at stage volume, but there are plenty of options for the same price range.

Used 69 Fuzzes can be had for less than $120 some even $110 Bias control on top not internal like with RM.

I'm sure AM could easily mod it to 66 specs if that's your goal.
    yeah, it was the quality knocks that threw me off the mayer. it did sound good though.

i'm just going to keep watching out.
  • JofZJofZ Posts: 1,276
    I have a couple fuzz's and I guess the best depends on budget and what tone you are looking for. If you want something that can cover it all get the Zvex Fuzz Factory, the new vexter is cheaper and has an led.
    If you want Tonebender then you have a couple options, you can get e Pealworx Bender over under, awesome tone for reasonable bucks, you can also get a DAM MKII which is a tonebender clone. I bought a Lovepedal Black Beauty which is a germanium tonebnder type fuzz with a boost. Mine has vintage matched 69 OC81 germainiums, I waited a long, long time for that box and it is amazing. I also have a wall of noise from Lovepedal which is more off the wall fuzz, it is combined with an octave up effect for the perfect ringer clone.
    If you want a traditional fuzz face, then you should look no further then Analogman's NKT 275.
    Most people confuse the 2 types of fuzz, think early Zepplin for Tonebender, and Hendrix for Fuzz Face.
    WHAT IS THAT NOISE?
    Hanging at www.TheGuitarHub.com
    The only Forum for players by players.......

Playing Les Pauls, Teles, Hubers, Gustavssons, Kolls through a Mad Professor amp with a Bob Burt Cab.
    BJF powers my Pedal Board
    i have a fuzz factory. which is beautiful but completely high gain and anything but subtle so i want the traditional fuzzface sound to complement it. thanks for the suggestions.

i combed through all the clips on analogmike's site. my favourite was actually the standard sunface (not the NKT version). so i have some thinking to do.
  • Does anyone know from experience how much adding a 9v plug to a fuzz pedal affects the tone?
    DirtLikeMe wrote:
    Does anyone know from experience how much adding a 9v plug to a fuzz pedal affects the tone?

depends on the type of fuzz. i couldn't hear a difference between battery and adapter on the fulltone 70 (a silicon fuzz) but my fuzz factory (germanium) becomes more shrill and brittle with an adapter. it's not pleasant. it's much smoother with a battery.
  • exhausted wrote:
    depends on the type of fuzz. i couldn't hear a difference between battery and adapter on the fulltone 70 (a silicon fuzz) but my fuzz factory (germanium) becomes more shrill and brittle with an adapter. it's not pleasant. it's much smoother with a battery.

Thanks for that bit of info.
    the new octron from foxrox is pretty cool, it has up and down octaves and what is essentially a mix control, and it's not digital.

I'm thinking it has blue box all over it and might actually be a useable octave fuzz,

I'm pretty sure a 66-69 fuzz face is probably right up your alley EX, the way Analogman does it is probably best as well, because the bias control will save you from the ill effects of temperature and the tone will be accurate. That and you won't have to search through 50 or so to get a good one like Eric Johnson and Jimmy Hendrix.

I'd love to deal with Lovepedal eventually but I can't get Sean to actually correspond.
    the octron is a clean octaver i believe.
    exhausted wrote:
    the octron is a clean octaver i believe.

indeed it is, all the more useable, because one can choose the type one uses. Probably sounds crazy with the big muff. Even more wierd with the FF.
    ah yes, i under stand now what you meant.

this is the fuzz i'm watching right now. the analogman mod.
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7316346698&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1
    exhausted wrote:

cool, I've always wanted a blue one.

still with stuff like that, you never know if the tone is good, decent, or outright crap.
    exactly. that movie fuzz just an oddity, not an actual candidate for using. not without seeing the circuit.
    exhausted wrote:
    exactly. that movie fuzz just an oddity, not an actual candidate for using. not without seeing the circuit.

I think it's a steal if you can get the analogman under 100 bucks.

you can always sell it to me if you don't like it, I'm actually the worlds largest collector of G. Snell used/built equipment.