The disappearance of singles from the live set

Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
edited April 2022 in The Porch
In 2018 Sirens was played only once in Europe I think.
The Fixer is as good as forgotten by the band. The second single Got Some, when did that one show up last?
World Wide Suicide was an amazing staple for many years... where is it now?

Will Can't Deny Me show up this summer?

The death of singles live. The Fixer should obviously, without a doubt, never have been recorded or played. But other songs like WWS...how could they have been forgotten like this. Porch is still being dragged out at every show. Soon to be played twice per show I reckon. But Mind your Manners is gonna be all but gone this tour?

Whack. 
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    Man how encouraging it was when PJ dropped this after The Fixer made you doubt everything good in the world. 

https://youtu.be/NpbyGC1S6cc

Such a great song live

https://youtu.be/3Hy8n98Gtrs

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • I think they are just not good enough songs compared to others.
    Many of the Backspacer songs dont get much play after the specific tour, maybe Unthought Known gets a little more.
    WWS was played almost every night on their last huge world tour in 2006 and just doesnt stack up to older singles.

The Ten/Vs/Vitalogy singles, plus the recent albums will always get their singles played, but post the album tour I guess they could be considered rarites.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,124
    Was Lightning Bolt a single? That song was meh at it's Wrigley debut in 2013 but has become fantastic live since. Hope it sticks around. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • aisleseatsaisleseats Posts: 1,403
    I don't foresee Mind Your Manners going anywhere. They've gotta have something to play off that album. And Sirens sends a mass exodus to the bathrooms. So it's either that or Lightning Bolt.

And please, no Can't Deny Me
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    You would think your singles would/should be your best stuff from the album.....if that is still true and they ditch them after 1 tour,  shows you what they think of their current writing
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,521
    WWS is terrific live. Hope it finds its way back. 
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    hrd2imgn said:
    You would think your singles would/should be your best stuff from the album.....if that is still true and they ditch them after 1 tour,  shows you what they think of their current writing
    I think that's debatable. One could argue that your singles are the songs you think will sell the best. I know they didn't write it, nor was it on a studio album, but isn't "Last Kiss" still PJ's best-selling single? Hard pressed to say that's a better song than... Well, most of their catalogue.

I think Mind Your Manners was played at every show in 2016 and 2018. Not sure that's going anywhere. Got Some was at Fenway 1 in 2018, and it comes out sporadically. I actually like Can't Deny Me, but I wouldn't mind if it disappeared from the regular rotation - I think it would be fun to hear the crowd shouting the chorus along with Ed in that quiet section, but 90% of the crowd either doesn't know the song or just isn't into it, so that doesn't happen.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,934
    Free the cowbell!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• dcp3ydcp3y Posts: 818
    Nothing as it seems…
    You are…

(more Binaural and Riot Act please)
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,207
    dcp3y said:
    Nothing as it seems…
    You are…

YES!!!!!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    on2legs said:
    Free the cowbell!
    Yep. That's all that really needs to be said here people. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,734
    I'll take The Fixer over most songs on the last couple albums. I'll reserve my Gigaton song judgement until I see some of the songs live.  
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,633
    I love The Fixer. MYM, not so much. 

• Love The Fixer, Got Some and Sirens haha. Hopeful to see them for the first time on this tour and would kill to hear any of those.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,520
    I feel like Sirens is polarizing, half of people love it, and half of people can live without it.  It seems to suck the energy out of the crowd.  I'm ok with it not being played :)

I love Mind Your Manners and they seem to still bust that one out.

I feel like this isn't a matter of single.  They play plenty of singles from the earlier albums.

I do wish they would start playing Who You Are again.   Time to go update my oakland request thread.
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,526
    I'm in the minority. play more of your recent output live. including songs from LB and BS. I feel like the band likes where they are at musically over the last few albums, and seem to bring that energy to those songs. that's what I like. if the band really digs playing a song, that will translate live, and songs that were "meh" to you on wax jump out at you live. 

I like when the band plays what they want. it makes for such a much better experience. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

this inspired me to start a playlist:

Backspacer
    Ole
    Lightning Bolt
    Get Back
    Gigaton

www.headstonesband.com

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    this inspired me to start a playlist:

Backspacer
    Ole
    Lightning Bolt
    Get Back
    Gigaton
    Hot list right there! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Edved82Edved82 Posts: 1,279
    The Fixer is great. I'd love to hear more from Binaural, Riot Act and Avocado on this tour. Particularly Grievance and Life Wasted.
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    The Fixer and Sirens sound great on the albums but I just don't think it translates live.  I've never really heard a good version of either in my opinion.  
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    The Fixer is awesome.  Definitely one of their better singles from 2000-2022
  • Daner90Daner90 Posts: 90
    Im pretty sure in my 10 PJ shows I have heard Unthought Known 10 times.  

Would have preferred it was WWS instead
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    edited April 2022
    dcp3y said:
    Nothing as it seems…
    You are…

Paging McGruff...
  • SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    In 2018 Sirens was played only once in Europe I think.
    The Fixer is as good as forgotten by the band. The second single Got Some, when did that one show up last?
    World Wide Suicide was an amazing staple for many years... where is it now?

Will Can't Deny Me show up this summer?

The death of singles live. The Fixer should obviously, without a doubt, never have been recorded or played. But other songs like WWS...how could they have been forgotten like this. Porch is still being dragged out at every show. Soon to be played twice per show I reckon. But Mind your Manners is gonna be all but gone this tour?

Whack. 
    Eh, to me the Fixer and Cant Deny Me are among the worst PJ songs recorded. I suspect that has a lot to do with it.

www.headstonesband.com

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,771
    Man how encouraging it was when PJ dropped this after The Fixer made you doubt everything good in the world. 

Such a great song live

Even though The Fixer was the first single. Got Some premiered first 
    I miss igotid88
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    igotid88 said:

Such a great song live

Even though The Fixer was the first single. Got Some premiered first 
    Did it? Then my timelime is skewed. 

I remember a turtle being named Backspacer. Then The Fixer and then Got Some. But I guess you are right. 

Anyway, having Cameron Crowe snd ending up with that music video. 
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,809
    The turtle! My class did a whole project on the Great Turtle Race that year. I was super psyched when Backspacer won the race. My 5th graders had no clue who PJ was. 😆 

I think Fixer was first. I remember hearing a song tease during a baseball game? All star game maybe?
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,087
    I don't foresee Mind Your Manners going anywhere. They've gotta have something to play off that album. And Sirens sends a mass exodus to the bathrooms. So it's either that or Lightning Bolt.

And please, no Can't Deny Me
    I really like the guitar solo in Sirens.  Biggest reason to hear it imo.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,633
    edited April 2022
    PJ debuted Got Some live on the first Tonight Show with Conan. That was several months before BS dropped. Maybe a year?