FS 1990-92 Boxed Set Sampler - SOLD!

PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
edited April 2022 in Lost Dogs
Was sorting out the collection and realized I still have a spare set of these. I sold a few on here a couple years back after a chance encounter with the person who was sitting on a stockpile of these. Small hole versions. No box. Clean vinyl and jackets.
Post edited by PJammin on

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,132
    Shouldn't last long!

So you met the guy w all 200 huh?  Jeff was his name I think?  He lived in LA somewhere.
  • PJamminPJammin Posts: 606
    Nope - chance encounter with Greg Mariotti back in 2014 or 2015 (Vinyl Films, runs Cameron Crowe website, etc). He had them all and was sitting on them....LOTS of them. I bought maybe 5-6 sets from him. Sold a couple here. Sold a couple at record shows. Greg is likely the same person the Jeff you mention got them considering the LA connection. Yeah, that 200 number seems a bit fishy to me but it's hung around in the Discogs notes for a while now. 
    edited April 2022
    Actually I went back and looked and the last set I bought from him was in 2017. This kind of coincides with the market on these starting to drop as more and more were making their way into the market. Some of these sets were fetching over $1000 early on. 
    PJammin said:
    Actually I went back and looked and the last set I bought from him was in 2017. This kind of coincides with the market on these starting to drop as more and more were making their way into the market. Some of these sets were fetching over $1000 early on. 
    Some people paid more and no box!  I actually had the box.  I was one of two people that I knew that owned one.

Interesting that you met this person.  I too thought that 200 of each was off but the guy that did sell them all eventually ran out so 200 each sounds right.
    edited April 2022
    Oh wow.....I've still yet to ever see a box. I've heard there was one, but never seen one. I asked Greg if he had any and he didn't ever remember seeing a box. Those things are like unicorns. You're speaking in the past tense as if you sold, or no longer have, the box?!?! 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,242
    That's a hot price. Must.stay.strong. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    That's a hot price. Must.stay.strong. 
    Thanks! I thought it was a fair price. I put it up on Ebay @ $450 since the only other listing I saw on there was at $499. It was pointed out to me that Freak Beat Records out in Sherman Oaks apparently came into a stash of these as well and was dumping them at $300 per set. That's about the lowest I've heard of them going at. 
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    PJammin said:
    Oh wow.....I've still yet to ever see a box. I've heard there was one, but never seen one. I asked Greg if he had any and he didn't ever remember seeing a box. Those things are like unicorns. You're speaking in the past tense as if you sold, or no longer have, the box?!?! 
    I have the box  
    Would you mind sharing a pic of it? I’ve never actually seen one. Always been curious of exactly what it looks like. 
    PJammin said:
    Would you mind sharing a pic of it? I’ve never actually seen one. Always been curious of exactly what it looks like. 
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/263625/sold-ten-sampler-set-single-records-fs-sold/p1

Scroll down the first page and I posted the one I used to own.
    Oh cool.....thanks for sharing. Much appreciated. 
    PJammin said:
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/263625/sold-ten-sampler-set-single-records-fs-sold/p1

curious Chris - what did it fetch?
    pdalowsky said:
    PJammin said:

I sold it fairly cheap to a fellow collector. $500.  It's so rare that only us rabid collectors want things like this so it isn't worth a fortune.
    pdalowsky said:
    PJammin said:

I sold it fairly cheap to a fellow collector. $500.  It's so rare that only us rabid collectors want things like this so it isn't worth a fortune.
    great deal - was that with the records?
    edited April 2022
    pdalowsky said:
    pdalowsky said:
    PJammin said:

great deal - was that with the records?
    No, just the box.

$500 for the box, $400 for the records.
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Posts: 526
    PJammin said:

oh man what i'd give to have the box. i have the colored vinyl set AND the set of 3 test presses. FYI i got the 6 7" set from Amoeba for $300 a few years ago
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
    PJammin said:

oh man what i'd give to have the box. i have the colored vinyl set AND the set of 3 test presses. FYI i got the 6 7" set from Amoeba for $300 a few years ago
    Amoeba was selling them for $1000 not too long ago.  Then the flood gates opened up and dude was selling 1 set a week on ebay.
    PJammin said:

Amoeba was selling them for $1000 not too long ago.  Then the flood gates opened up and dude was selling 1 set a week on ebay.
    Bloody hell!
    www.cluthelee.com
    PJammin said:

Bloody hell!
    I don't fault him.  He made some coin for those!
    Dammit, someone make this thread go away! Too tempting!! 

beer oc GIF
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,396
    PJammin said:

Did you get the test pressings from the guy on ebay? 
    PJammin said:

"test pressing" I knew would peak your interest here.  Sniff sniff!
    I have one of the test pressings. I think I paid $180 for it. I can’t remember who got what from the eBay sales but I do remember this same group talking about it back in the summer of ‘19 when they ended. I’ll never understand PJ collectors and what they buy and for what. It baffles me. A never officially released 6 record promo set for $350 obo should be an easy sale. You guys are weird. Especially Tempo. 
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    I have one of the test pressings. I think I paid $180 for it. I can’t remember who got what from the eBay sales but I do remember this same group talking about it back in the summer of ‘19 when they ended. I’ll never understand PJ collectors and what they buy and for what. It baffles me. A never officially released 6 record promo set for $350 obo should be an easy sale. You guys are weird. Especially Tempo. 
    +1
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Yep.  Test press owner here as well.   Came from LA lol
    edited April 2022
    Yep.  Test press owner here as well.   Came from LA lol
    Were you one of the ebay winners?
    Post edited by Guy Dudebro on
  • WindowPaineWindowPaine Posts: 526
    PJammin said:

i can't remember. i'd say yes it was ebay. i'd have to check later today when i get home if you really wanted to know. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
    dankind said:
    +1
    Two of my faves on here.  TY for thinking of me gentlemen.
     B) 
    I'm pretty sure most people didn't think these were real or official.  I know I questioned them for the longest time then I saw 10C do a giveaway w the red record in it and then I knew they were legit.  I even made a thread about it.

It's like that box.  It should be worth a fortune but nobody knows about them so only the hardcore collectors have them.  I was happy owning it for a bit then passed it on to another hardcore collector.
    Still available. I've received a couple of PMs and a couple of lowball offers on Ebay (where i put them up at $450). I'll give it another day or so and if there is no interest I'll pack em up for the next record show. Appreciate the sharing of knowledge within this thread though.