Latest song you've learned?

mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
Not sure if there's a thread like this or not, but thought it would be fun. If y'all are anything like me, you're constantly learning new songs. In any case, I've been wanting to learn this (very) straightforward song "This Lullaby" by QOTSA since Mark Lanegan passed away. I absolutely love Lullabies to Paralyze and love his solo catalog even more. In any case, I put the album on and started picking along. What an absolutely beautiful song. I don't play many covers when I play a show, but have played "One Way Street" by Lanegan quite a bit. I can easily see this tune sneaking into the setlist as well now that I've learned it. 

I LOVE MUSIC.
www.cluthelee.com
www.cluthe.com

Comments

• BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    Big Wave which is very typical with huge surf in my part of the world right now 🏄‍♂️
    Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Man of the Hour and stuff from FF’s Nothing Left To Lose 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    A couple of Dream Syndicate songs- an old one, "Tell Me When it's Over", and a newer one "Glide".
    "Glide" is very simple- just four chords repeated- but adding the riff between the G and the Em and between the Em and the open F chords makes it more fun and interesting to play.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,129
    i saw the darkness friday night so i have been going back and trying to learn stuff from the permission to land album. their guitar tone on that album is monstrous.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    i saw the darkness friday night so i have been going back and trying to learn stuff from the permission to land album. their guitar tone on that album is monstrous.
    Saw them at The Pageant on that tour back in the 00s. Holy god. 
    www.cluthelee.com
    they are so fun. i can't imagine how they were back then. must have been super crazy.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

they are so fun. i can't imagine how they were back then. must have been super crazy.
    The lead singer, and lead guitarist went out into the crowd and soloed his ASS OFF. I have hearing damage from that show! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    edited April 2022
    Lonesome Onry and Mean by Waylon Jennings

I somehow stumbled onto his Live in Texas 1974 album and it has made me look at his music in a completely different light.  Just an amazing voice and can play the Tele pretty mean.  His band cooks.
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    a slow learner/beginner here ...working my way through Thin Air 

Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592
    Jason P said:
    Lonesome Onry and Mean by Waylon Jennings

I somehow stumbled onto his Live in Texas 1974 album and it has made me look at his music in a completely different light.  Just an amazing voice and can play the Tele pretty mean.  His band cooks.

Very cool, Jason!  
    Being a Waylon fan, you might really like his autobiography.  I loved it!  What an amazing life- from a small town in Texan, to working with Buddy Holly on NYC and then touring with Holly, to breaking new ground in Nashville.  Simply amazing.

Waylon An Autobiography by Waylon Jennings

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,368
    Figured out 2+2=5 by Radiohead last night. Such a fun tune to play.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • BALLBOYBALLBOY Australia Posts: 990
    andrew68 said:
    a slow learner/beginner here ...working my way through Thin Air A great song to learn for strumming patterns & a nice blues lick

Eastern Creek 95,Syd 1 98,Bris 2 98, Syd 1&2 03, Reading Fest 06, Bris 1 06, London 09, Hyde Park 10, Gold Coast BDO 14
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,739
    Prince caspian by phish and black.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Went through and learned Retrograde and Faithful last night. So fun to play
    ~It's funny how things change so much, it's all state of mind~

October 1, Ohana Encore 2021
    October 2, Ohana Encore 2021
    May 9, Phoenix AZ 2022
    September 2, St. Paul MN 2023

Went through and learned Retrograde and Faithful last night. So fun to play
    Nice! Faithful is a blast to play--haven't tried Retrograde yet.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    "Truth Doesn't Make a Noise," The White Stripes (Gotta down-tune two guitars a half step and get better at looping; also, I'm trying to get my son to learn the keys part)

"Supermarket," Wet Leg (Just fun! And fun with pedals!)

"Living after Midnight," Judas Priest (Trying to learn the guitar and drum parts to help my son practice his keys part for a concert he has coming up)
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,624
    I was gonna try “Supermarket”, but…
    The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

ed243421 said:
    I was gonna try “Supermarket”, but…
    It’s an occupational hazard. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Jammed on Ben Harper's "Glory & Consequence" over the weekend. What a fun tune to play.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    “Blackbird”
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • DewieCoxDewieCox Posts: 11,411
    mfc2006 said:
    Jammed on Ben Harper's "Glory & Consequence" over the weekend. What a fun tune to play.
    Yeah, that’s a good one.

I need to get back in the habit of learning more songs well enough that they stick. Had a friends reception this past weekend and he had 2 guitars and mics set up. So much fun playing some songs we’ve played throughout our 30 years of friendship/guitaring.
    edited June 2022
    I have to learn the acoustic part to "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead by tomorrow. 

Somehow, I only know two Radiohead songs, "Creep" and "High and Dry."

So it really is learning an entirely new song for me. Not a fan. I would rather play something I know and like.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    dankind said:
    I have to learn the acoustic part to "Fake Plastic Trees" by Radiohead by tomorrow. 

So it really is learning an entirely new song for me. Not a fan. I would rather play something I know and like.
    Have to learn? Covering it live or something? The acoustic part of that song is really straight forward, so you'll pick it up pretty quickly.

Some of my favorite RH songs to play are: Bodysnatchers, Nude, 2+2=5, Exit Music & Electioneering.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    mfc2006 said:
    dankind said:

Have to learn? Covering it live or something? The acoustic part of that song is really straight forward, so you'll pick it up pretty quickly.

Some of my favorite RH songs to play are: Bodysnatchers, Nude, 2+2=5, Exit Music & Electioneering.
    Yes. I joined the adult band at my son’s School of Rock location. I figured that it would be a better use of my time during his rehearsals than just sitting in the waiting area, but I’m starting to have second thoughts. 

And I recognize that Radiohead are a brilliant band, but I could never get into them (same with DMB).

My favorite Radiohead album is actually
    one of pianist Christopher O’Riley covering their songs. 

I do like Jonny Greenwood’s film scores. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • andrew68andrew68 Toronto Posts: 1,789
    immortality .... slowly 
    Any new realizations... would have to wait...
    Til he had more time,... more time...
    Time to dream,... to himself... he waves goodbye,
    To himself... I'll see you on the other side...
    I had some quality time to spend with my delay pedal today and got the intro down to “One Hundred Years” (The Cure). I’ll work on the rest going forward. I think I’m comfortable enough with the “Fake Plastic Trees” acoustic part to learn something for myself at this point. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Jammed along to Elliot Smith's album Figure 8 over the weekend. Son of Sam is tricky as hell!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • rustneversleepsrustneversleeps The Motel of Lost Companions Posts: 2,209
    badlands
    i started working on "welcome to the black parade" over the weekend but could not get past the opening 11 notes without spontaneously weeping.

"The Passenger"
    I SAW PEARL JAM