Future Concert Goers

BC62528BC62528 Posts: 210
I not here to bash the current system or the pricing issue - I think there have been enough posts to articulate that topic well enough already.  I just wanted to turn the attention to the future concert goer.  I'm in my mid 40s - I've had my fun, however, I have two boys 19 and 16 years old - just about the same age as I was when found music and my passion for this band - Randell's Island and Hartford, CT in 1996 kicked it off.  Since than I have been blessed to see this band, and I am somewhat embarrassed to say, over 70 times in various cities throughout the States.  I'm beyond fortunate, but my concern is aimed at the next generation - with the current pricing - how will teenagers be able to afford and follow a band around like so many of us have in the past?  This new model does not seem sustainable, but time will tell.  At this point I am hoping for more studio albums from this band, because the idea of dropping $800 for a pair of seats just does not seem reasonable.  I'm sure the band would agree - not sure what the answer is, however, from my perspective it just sad that those that are growing up now, under the current system, will most likely not be able to follow their favorite band on a tour without dropping a small fortune.  The experience of going to the concert with friends, meeting new people and feeling the rush of seeing your favorite band is somewhat of a right of passage - in my opinion.  I have heard my kids and their friends say that they simply can't go to shows due to pricing - very sobering.  This is 100% about the "Haves and the Have Nots"  I suppose I would be considered a "Have" - I just wish the "Have Nots" would be able to enjoy the same level playing field and opportunity, but it is not the case - they are priced out.  I understand this is just life, capitalism, and progress - interest change and evolve - so maybe in the future everyone will throw on their VR Headsets on a Friday night and login to see/experience their favorite band play out of their garage for $25 a pop?

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I get the concern but with 1 10C account this tour I could of easily gotten 8 shows on one lotto entry. All for face value. There is so much focus on the premium seats since that is pretty much all that is available for most shows people seem to be forgetting how many tickets 10C acquired. This is for a tour that the majority of the cities were already sold out. 
  • given2fly23given2fly23 Posts: 5,902
    The bands that your kids will be following when they are 40 years old are playing clubs and theaters right now for $20-$30 a ticket, they just have to find them. I’ve seen plenty of shows recently for $30-$40 a piece. When we were younger, Rolling Stones and U2 tickets were outrageous compared to PJ. You were lucky to see them once a tour. I’m sure the Stones played $5 shows back in the day; now their average ticket is probably $500. I’d argue that PJ tickets are still reasonable for the size of band they are, but I’m biased. It can’t stay the same forever. I’m sure this happens with every generation. 

Found: Soundgarden Hyde Park DVD (Thank you for the gift!)
    Posters for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/117469/posters-for-sale
    T-Shirts for Sale: http://community.pearljam.com/discussion/149289/pj-t-shirt-trade-or-sale
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,450
    edited March 2022
    A lot of the shows I have been to have been less than $50 a ticket (I’m 25). Have to look to up and coming bands or new ones, not the mainstreams. Over the course of 4 weeks in April I am seeing three bands for less than $75 all in. 

One of my favorite bands of all time I have seen 14 times for probably less than $200 all in. 

Now if they happened to blow up over night, then yeah it would get harder to see them as often, but I would be happy for them. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Following pearl jam is not a thing that people currently in their teens are ever going to experience.  Prices or not.

This is the twilight, not the mid phase of this band.  That is no disrespect to them, it is just reality.  
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• TA243471TA243471 Posts: 1,234
    I would think eventually more people will realize that you don't have to buy any of the Premium seats, and could use any of the other Face Value avenues that the band has made available.  For some reason, a small vocal portion of the fan base seems to be hung up on the Higher priced seats.  This time they may also have misunderstood that most of these shows only were selling leftovers from 2020.  It seems to me like face value tickets have never been easier to get, if you are willing to put in a little effort.
    • 2006: Gorge 1
    • 2009: Seattle 1
    • 2013: Seattle
    • 2016: Wrigley 1 & 2
    • 2018: Seattle 1&2, Montana
    • 2020: San Diego, LA 1&2, Oakland 1&2
    • 2022: San Diego, LA 1&2, Fresno, Sacramento, Las Vegas, Denver
    • 2024: Vancouver 1, Portland, Las Vegas 1&2, Seattle 1&2, Missoula
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    PB11041 said:
    Following pearl jam is not a thing that people currently in their teens are ever going to experience.  Prices or not.

This is the twilight, not the mid phase of this band.  That is no disrespect to them, it is just reality.  
    Well said & agreed. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 4,352
    Are the teens typically the time when you follow a band around?  That seems more like something that adults with more autonomy and disposable income get to do.  Most parents are not going to let their teenager travel around going to shows.

But here's another "have not" issue: in order to go to many shows, including these Pearl Jam shows, you have to have an expensive electronic device.  Most people have one, but more people than you might think do not.  Some people don't have one by choice, and some people don't have one because they can't afford one. Those in the latter group probably couldn't afford Pearl Jam tickets either, but these devices are now often required to access events with much more affordable tickets.

By the same token, many venues and other businesses no longer accept cash.  Millions of Americans have neither debit nor credit cards because they are unbanked or underbanked. A checking account can be a problem if you're living paycheck to paycheck and can't maintain a minimum balance. A credit card requires access to and approval of credit. Two states have passed laws requiring businesses to accept cash for most transactions, but there is still no federal law (although one has been introduced in the House more than once) on the subject.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • BC62528BC62528 Posts: 210
    Some really good perspective and points being made - Phones/Access/PJ in Twilight - appreciate the dialog folks - clearly no silver bullet to this issue, but certainly a concern or matter that at some point will have to be addressed (and to some extent is being currently addressed - by individuals choosing not to pay or go to multiple shows).  Agree that the youth will not follow PJ like a lot of folks in this group, but take an act like Bad Bunny (not my taste, but talk to a 18 year old and you may get a different response) The pricing of his shows are outrageous as well - I did not mention a top selling acts like Drake/Bieber/Adele - Bad Bunny is just as expensive - which is insane for decent seats (not lawn).  There is no way back in the day (Mid 90s) most of us could have followed PJ if the pricing is comparable to what it is today - I still have a number of stubs for under $40 - I get inflation, but average kids today do not have access to $140 - $175 after service charges for 1 show to see multiple shows - if that is what is important to them - just a shame - that's all.
  • mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,945
    BC62528 said:
    Some really good perspective and points being made - Phones/Access/PJ in Twilight - appreciate the dialog folks - clearly no silver bullet to this issue, but certainly a concern or matter that at some point will have to be addressed (and to some extent is being currently addressed - by individuals choosing not to pay or go to multiple shows).  Agree that the youth will not follow PJ like a lot of folks in this group, but take an act like Bad Bunny (not my taste, but talk to a 18 year old and you may get a different response) The pricing of his shows are outrageous as well - I did not mention a top selling acts like Drake/Bieber/Adele - Bad Bunny is just as expensive - which is insane for decent seats (not lawn).  There is no way back in the day (Mid 90s) most of us could have followed PJ if the pricing is comparable to what it is today - I still have a number of stubs for under $40 - I get inflation, but average kids today do not have access to $140 - $175 after service charges for 1 show to see multiple shows - if that is what is important to them - just a shame - that's all.

Here's the thing, though - when I was in high school/college, I did go to a lot of shows, by sitting in the cheap seats. That meant sitting in the lawn, or in the nosebleeds, or behind the stage. Sure, it's not the same as sitting up front, but back then, I couldn't have afforded that. I also didn't go to multiple shows of big-name bands. Usually one, may two a year. Certainly only one per tour.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22 | Baltimore 09.12.24 | Fenway 1 09.15.24 | Fenway 2 09.17.24

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,702
    Growing up in California, the shows we went to were almost all GA. As a teenager, I didn't have to pay for a "good" seat, just a seat. The change to assigned seating helped drive the problem as well. 
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    BC62528 said:

but that is the thing in the mid 1990s they were still albeit a big draw and in many ways at the height of their mania they were pricing their tickets relative to their place in time.  So yeah, if they were charing $100 to $130 in 1996 that would have been pretty challenging.

I do not know of this Bad Bunny you speak of, but I am just guessing based on the other names this is not a band one would follow to several shows.  These artists inflate their prices because they both can and need to, they are not necessarily going to perenially tour and draw crowds.

The tougher thing about pearl jam these days is that since 2006 they have mostly done short stints as opposed to the 55-75 show jaunts that they did in 1998, 2000, 2003 and 2006.  Even the mini tours they did in 2004 and 2005 were relatively accessible based on how much access their was the few years prior. 

His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Wilco87Wilco87 Posts: 44
    One thing I would like to see changed in the future especially for Arena/smaller capacity shows is to increase the odds for those that live within proximity of the venue, say 100 miles or so. Those with limited means (not just the ticket money) but ability to travel and take off from work or school, should get a little bit of an edge in the process.
    Wilco87 said:
    One thing I would like to see changed in the future especially for Arena/smaller capacity shows is to increase the odds for those that live within proximity of the venue, say 100 miles or so. Those with limited means (not just the ticket money) but ability to travel and take off from work or school, should get a little bit of an edge in the process.
    Shout-out to my apparent fellow Wilco fan.  Wilco, whom I've been seeing since '95, is the only band that has a chance to overtake Pearl Jam as my most-seen band, and that's in part because Wilco tours a lot more.
  • CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,809
    Last week I told my best friend (who is just a casual PJ fan, not like us), how much my Vegas fan club ticket was ($154 with tax/fees). He was shocked and felt like PJ could be charging well over $200. He told me PJ was probably protecting the fans from big prices.

My coworker even scored two face value seats (nosebleeds) to Nashville yesterday with VF. Now, it was a lot of refreshing and patience, but she got them.  

It’s a bummer that there are these premium tickets, but that may help keep cost down for the enormous amount of fan club tickets (and that low initial face value price). I’m not sure what the answer is other than we all don’t buy the premiums and drive the market price down closer to the show date. It’s tough.

My son is getting into shows now, and there are still tons of bands who tour at those cheap prices. But those are usually in smaller venues. I can still see DBT, Built to Spill, and other bands for $30 to $50. Especially younger, new bands. Prices for those are much lower. PJ is a bigger operation now, so costs probably run a bit higher for them (insurance too!).

Its definitely sucks and makes it tough to get to multiple shows.
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,520
    I feel like it's a bit nuanced.  For the most part PJ has a middle age fan based... there's some younger, some older, but most of us seem to be anywhere from our later 30's to 50s.    We've entered that era where a lot of us have more income than we did when were 14 or 20 (the first time I saw PJ play).

Even when I was younger, veteran bands, with an established fanbase would charge more for tickets than younger bands.    How are ticket prices right now for bands that attract a much younger audience?   It feels a little like the ticket prices can be reflective of your fan base.

PJ also seems to be polarized now.  A large number of tickets were told for about $125 usd.   That seems pretty reasonable now.   Lots of people obtained them through 10c and what not.  Only some of the tickets are platinum....

I dunno... that's my thoughts.   I think veteran established acts with older fan based have always attracted higher ticket prices. PJ has resisted that for the most part, but this year has flinched a bit on it.
  • My teenager and her friends go see bands in town all the time for like $15 a show.  There’s also ACL they go to for like $100 a day and they see 15 bands and two big ones in that day.  There’s plenty of options for them at least in this town.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,688
    mpedone said:
    BC62528 said:

Here's the thing, though - when I was in high school/college, I did go to a lot of shows, by sitting in the cheap seats. That meant sitting in the lawn, or in the nosebleeds, or behind the stage. Sure, it's not the same as sitting up front, but back then, I couldn't have afforded that. I also didn't go to multiple shows of big-name bands. Usually one, may two a year. Certainly only one per tour.
    I can't tell you how many old ticket stubs I have that say "lawn" on them :D

• JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    BC62528 said:
    Perhaps not the most intuitive but one of the better values today for high school/college kids is festivals. Can see 15+ sets from bands over a weekend for a $300 ticket...or around $20 a show. Depending on where it is obviously travel $ can also be required, and it's not the same as touring around the country with one band...but still relatively reasonable all things considered. 

And there are much more festivals, of a generally higher quality (all-in experience...not talking about exact musical preferences) than there were in the 90s.
    JBob87 said:
    BC62528 said:
    Perhaps not the most intuitive but one of the better values today for high school/college kids is festivals. Can see 15+ sets from bands over a weekend for a $300 ticket...or around $20 a show. Depending on where it is obviously travel $ can also be required, and it's not the same as touring around the country with one band...but still relatively reasonable all things considered. 

And there are much more festivals, of a generally higher quality (all-in experience...not talking about exact musical preferences) than there were in the 90s.
    And festivals are tolerable when you're young, unlike for old men like me now where, if my three favorite acts Pearl Jam, Wilco, Radiohead as well as the reunited, reincarnated Beatles were all headlining Coachella, in the immortal words from Dreamgirls, "I am telling you I'm not going."
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    BF25394 said:
    JBob87 said:
    BC62528 said:

And festivals are tolerable when you're young, unlike for old men like me now where, if my three favorite acts Pearl Jam, Wilco, Radiohead as well as the reunited, reincarnated Beatles were all headlining Coachella, in the immortal words from Dreamgirls, "I am telling you I'm not going."
    Haha completely agreed...right there with you. I'd rather save up a few months for travel and ticket costs to see an arena show...but for the young fans it's a good option.
  • Wilco87Wilco87 Posts: 44
    BF25394 said:
    Wilco87 said:
    Shout-out to my apparent fellow Wilco fan.  Wilco, whom I've been seeing since '95, is the only band that has a chance to overtake Pearl Jam as my most-seen band, and that's in part because Wilco tours a lot more.
    Back at ya. I'd consider both Wilco and PJ in my top 5 favorite bands. By this fall I will at least hit double digits for PJ/Eddie Shows, but Wilco/Tweedy I have already sailed past the 50 mark, with a pair of Golden Smog shows on deck this weekend.
  • droptheleash9droptheleash9 Posts: 1,430
    People complain about the stadium shows all the time but at least the band can move more tickets that way and make them easier for the average joe to get. Will you be as close as you would be in an arena? Hell no. But at least the band can get more tickets at lower prices into the hands of fans and make the same amount of money on volume. - Signed someone who far prefers to see PJ in an arena.
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,935
    Think of the children!
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• kaw753kaw753 Posts: 830
    JBob87 said:
    BC62528 said:

This was about $300US for 3 days. It was phenomenal, especially mixing the Super Bock and the back pain meds I had to take to get through it. And at the end, I swore never again.

• tylermooretylermoore Posts: 921
    edited March 2022
    Riot fest. An amazing 3 day festival. Less than 200$ 
    I saw Car Seat Headrest for 30$ last week. Seeing Pup for 25$ and that’s chicago. Ticket prices are fine. Especially when touring is how these bands make money
    Post edited by tylermoore on
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    on2legs said:
    Think of the children!
    Haha! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,125
    People complain about the stadium shows all the time but at least the band can move more tickets that way and make them easier for the average joe to get. Will you be as close as you would be in an arena? Hell no. But at least the band can get more tickets at lower prices into the hands of fans and make the same amount of money on volume. - Signed someone who far prefers to see PJ in an arena.
    The stadium shows have been great. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,258
    A traveling fan base with people seeing multiple shows a tour is not the norm. And I’m guessing most, probably close to all, of us didn’t do it in our teens.
    Teens today will go see their one show. And in 10 years if that act is still around and if they band is still together and if they are still a favorite then maybe they’ll thing about multiple shows. All those things don’t happen very often.