San Diego - song request for my brother who passed

edited May 2022 in The Porch
I really don't know if anyone takes this info back to the band or if this is the right place to put this - my brother Stan had been a Ten Club member since 1991. From 1992 his license plate was PEARLJM (At least until we moved to California). He was one of the very early members, and kept his membership. When we moved states, he wound up getting a new TC# because back then, membership numbers didn't matter but someone (DigitalKat I think) reverted his sign up date to 1991. 

Stan was adopted into my family when we were teenagers. We were always as close as two people could ever be. Did everything together. Never apart for very long. Nobody was a bigger fan than he was. I mean, people think I am a superfan when they meet me and I am but it was him who first brought me on board this family and introduced me to PJ before they hit the big time. One of the best days of our lives was in 2009 when Stan won the ticket lotters and we wound up front row, nearly center for the show at Cox Arena in San Diego.

In late 2013, Stan was in an accident. He wound up in a wheelchair, but we still found a way to attend the 2013 show at San Diego (our hometown) in the GA pit. I have to say of all the shows I've seen, the fans were OVERWHELMINGLY accommodating to a wheelchair in the pit. Helpful, communicating to others to let him through. I mean we didn't hang out all the way up front or anything (viewing angle from the chair wouldn't allow it anyway) but it was another reminder of how great this fandom is to each other.

That concert turned out to be the last event Stan would attend. His condition got worse, and he wound up in the hospital, and he would pass in March of 2014 days after his 39th birthday. In the hospital when he had a moment out of ICU he couldn't speak more than a whisper after having tubes in, and I asked him what I could do and he whispered only "Pearl Jam." I went out immediately and bought an MP3 player, full of every album and some bootlegs from shows we attended. The rest of the time he was there, he would often have those earphones in, singing in a whisper but a whisper as loud as he could along with the music.

If there is any way we could hear his favorite PJ song, "In My Tree" for Stan Sams at the upcoming San Diego show, it would mean so much to myself and our family to celebrate him one more time at the place he was happiest. (I mean personally I would have said "Man of the Hour" would be more appropriate, but hey In My Tree was *his* song). We will celebrate him either way, but hearing In My Tree would just make things seem like he'd be there with us.

PS if anyone official from 10C would like to verify any of the information I posted here I am happy to provide details and evidence.

I know Stan loved the PJ community so much, and truly embraced fans new and old, so on his behalf thank you for bringing joy to his life: band, fans and all.

Thank you, bless you, from both of us,
Mike
Post edited by Wellwater Conspiracy on

Comments

• lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,500
    A sad loss.  Love to you  and your family 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Here's a few photos, with Ed and Matt in 2001, one in front row at the lottery seats in 2009, and on the beach

• A sad loss.  Love to you  and your family 
    Thank you. The band and its fans have made the whole experience a bit easier to deal with.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,985
    Very special. Take care and hope you get your song. If not, blast it often knowing I'm thinking of you all. Sweet pictures. How????!!!!
  • Loujoe said:
    Very special. Take care and hope you get your song. If not, blast it often knowing I'm thinking of you all. Sweet pictures. How????!!!!
    Met Ed and Matt in a small club in San Diego, like a week before 9/11. No digital cameras, those photos were taken on a disposable Kodak by Ed's mom, Karen!
    Yes! Cool. did you shake them down for autographs or anything? I have a few pics of a pj show from a disposable. I remember having to sneak my camera in to a Dio concert as a kid. funny how times have changed. You could smoke, fight throw fireworks...but noooo cameras.
    Good stuff. Thanks for sharing it all with us.
  • edited March 2022
    Loujoe said:
    Yes! Cool. did you shake them down for autographs or anything? I have a few pics of a pj show from a disposable. I remember having to sneak my camera in to a Dio concert as a kid. funny how times have changed. You could smoke, fight throw fireworks...but noooo cameras.
    Not at all. Ed was sitting on a bench having a smoke. There was no one else really around. Matt rode in on his bike a little later and there was probably 30 people in the building at that time. Met Ed, his brother Jason, his mom, his "girlfriend" Jill, and Matt. We also shot pool and had some drinks and maybe a little pot after the show. It was one of the best nights ever. My brother almost didn't go to the Casbah that night - it was 2001, we were both struggling with money, but I told him I really think this is going to be an amazing show so I bought him the $10 ticket to see Wellwater Conspiracy that night. Definitely the best $10 I have ever spent.

Matt and his band signed a poster, Ed signed my ticket and had a card he drew a wave on and signed. That was it for the autographs. We got invited to join Ed and "Klesko" (former San Diego Padre Ryan Klesko) to go surfing the next day, but we weren't surfers and weren't about to be poseurs pretending to be. Hey, not a lot of surf where we grew up in the NYC area.
    Post edited by Wellwater Conspiracy on
    F.........ing awesome. 
  • Loujoe said:
    F.........ing awesome. 
    Thanks buddy
  • wall232wall232 Posts: 1,346
    Sorry for your loss. Hope they play In My Tree for your brother. 
    NYPJ
  • Sirens4Sirens4 Posts: 590
    sorry for your loss this, community is amazing for getting requests from the band! I posted about loosing my dad in 2013 and requested release and they played it in Worcester when my family was all at the show!  
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited March 2022
    Sirens4 said:
    sorry for your loss this, community is amazing for getting requests from the band! I posted about loosing my dad in 2013 and requested release and they played it in Worcester when my family was all at the show!  
    Wow that was my first show and first song I ever heard. It is my favourite song too and did not know the story behind that for Worcester. Glad you got to experience that with your family. 

OP sorry to hear about your brother. Hoping you get In My Tree. 
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,443
    So sorry for your loss. Really hoping they play in my tree for you and your family. 
  • jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    Loujoe said:
    Not at all. Ed was sitting on a bench having a smoke. There was no one else really around. Matt rode in on his bike a little later and there was probably 30 people in the building at that time. Met Ed, his brother Jason, his mom, his "girlfriend" Jill, and Matt. We also shot pool and had some drinks and maybe a little pot after the show. It was one of the best nights ever. My brother almost didn't go to the Casbah that night - it was 2001, we were both struggling with money, but I told him I really think this is going to be an amazing show so I bought him the $10 ticket to see Wellwater Conspiracy that night. Definitely the best $10 I have ever spent.

Matt and his band signed a poster, Ed signed my ticket and had a card he drew a wave on and signed. That was it for the autographs. We got invited to join Ed and "Klesko" (former San Diego Padre Ryan Klesko) to go surfing the next day, but we weren't surfers and weren't about to be poseurs pretending to be. Hey, not a lot of surf where we grew up in the NYC area.
    What an awesome story. My sincere condolences for the loss of your brother and I really hope you get your song!
    Bump
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Love these stories/memories.  

Bump for IN MY TREE !
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    BUMP!!!!!!!
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 770
    I'll be there. In My Tree is one I'd very much like to hear. I hope you get it!
    Keep this at the top bump. I don't think ev reads past page 2!
    bump
    Springfield 94 hartford 96,98,06,08 xl center 2010,2013 boston 06,2010 mansfield ma 1998,2000,2003,2008
  • Ray J. T.Ray J. T. Posts: 4,023
    Sorry for your loss. I really hope your request finds its way to the band and you get to celebrate your brother one more time. 
  • jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    Bumping this, love this tribute
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,775
    ill be there hoping for In my tree, always great live. Sorry for your loss.
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    edited May 2022
    I really don't know if anyone takes this info back to the band or if this is the right place to put this - my brother Stan had been a Ten Club member since 1991. From 1992 his license plate was PEARLJM (At least until we moved to California). He was one of the very early members, and kept his membership. When we moved states, he wound up getting a new TC# because back then, membership numbers didn't matter but someone (DigitalKat I think) reverted his sign up date to 1991. 

Stan was adopted into my family when we were teenagers. We were always as close as two people could ever be. Did everything together. Never apart for very long. Nobody was a bigger fan than he was. I mean, people think I am a superfan when they meet me and I am but it was him who first brought me on board this family and introduced me to PJ before they hit the big time. One of the best days of our lives was in 2009 when Stan won the ticket lotters and we wound up front row, nearly center for the show at Cox Arena in San Diego.

In late 2013, Stan was in an accident. He wound up in a wheelchair, but we still found a way to attend the 2013 show at San Diego (our hometown) in the GA pit. I have to say of all the shows I've seen, the fans were OVERWHELMINGLY accommodating to a wheelchair in the pit. Helpful, communicating to others to let him through. I mean we didn't hang out all the way up front or anything (viewing angle from the chair wouldn't allow it anyway) but it was another reminder of how great this fandom is to each other.

That concert turned out to be the last event Stan would attend. His condition got worse, and he wound up in the hospital, and he would pass in March of 2014 days after his 39th birthday. In the hospital when he had a moment out of ICU he couldn't speak more than a whisper after having tubes in, and I asked him what I could do and he whispered only "Pearl Jam." I went out immediately and bought an MP3 player, full of every album and some bootlegs from shows we attended. The rest of the time he was there, he would often have those earphones in, singing in a whisper but a whisper as loud as he could along with the music.

If there is any way we could hear his favorite PJ song, "In My Tree" for Stan Sams at the upcoming San Diego show, it would mean so much to myself and our family to celebrate him one more time at the place he was happiest. (I mean personally I would have said "Man of the Hour" would be more appropriate, but hey In My Tree was *his* song). We will celebrate him either way, but hearing In My Tree would just make things seem like he'd be there with us.

PS if anyone official from 10C would like to verify any of the information I posted here I am happy to provide details and evidence.

I know Stan loved the PJ community so much, and truly embraced fans new and old, so on his behalf thank you for bringing joy to his life: band, fans and all.

Thank you, bless you, from both of us,

My heart breaks for you and your family.  I too lost a brother in 2014.  He was my best friend.  He went to many a PJ show with me; but I was the one that introduced him; unlike your brother situation.  I do so hope you get your request fulfilled.  Prayers to you and your family.  Up here in my tree . . . . LOVE IT.
    Post edited by PureandEasy on
  • MUZIKMUZIK Posts: 629
    Bumping this.

hope it happens for you guys. 
    09.11.98, 08.24.00, 08.25.00, 04.30.03, 07.08.03, 07.08.03, 09.15.05, 09.16.05, 09.19.05, 09.30.05, 10.01.05, 05.12.06, 05.13.06, 05.25.06, 05.27.06, 05.28.06, 06.01.06, 06.03.06, 06.19.08, 06.20.08, 06.22.08, 06.24.08, 06.25.08, 06.27.08, 06.28.08, 06.30.08, 07.01.08, 08.05.08, 08.07.08, 10.27.09, 10.30.09, 10.31.09, 05.18.10, 05.20.10, 05.21.10, 10.15.13, 10.18.13, 10,19,13, 9.23.15, 9.26.15, 04.28.16, 04.29.16, 05.01.16, 05.02.16, 05.06.22, 05.07.22, 09.14.22
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,834
    BUMP!!!!! Let’s go 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    bump

• Ray J. T. said:
    Sorry for your loss. I really hope your request finds its way to the band and you get to celebrate your brother one more time. 
    Thanks a lot. I do too!
    Buuuuuuummmmmping to an owl out my window on a windy full moon spring night. Write it down EV. 
    B.                              I.                 T
         U.                       N.                R
               M.                                 E
                                   M.           E
                     P.             Y.       
                                         F
                                           O
                                        R 
                                      S
                                     T
                                     A