Would you prefer Ed use his song writing gifts only for the 5 guys group?

otterotter Posts: 760
I just want Pearl Jam music, I feel like we’re missing out on more Pearl Jam songs.
I found my place......and it's alright

Would you prefer Ed use his song writing gifts only for the 5 guys group? 53 votes

Yes
7% 4 votes
Makes no difference to me
52% 28 votes
I think it’s good cause the rest of the guys get to pick and choose more ideas
39% 21 votes

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,937

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SaravaSarava Posts: 2,019
    Not that I have any info, but I don't get any impression that PJ would be rocking out things if Ed wasn't doing his solo album and gig. I look at his solo stuff as a really awesome bonus.
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,472
    The next PJ album needs more Jeff and Stone.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,099
    There are songs on Ed’s albums that I wouldn’t want on a PJ album. Having his solo stuff gives him an avenue to get this side of his music out there, freeing up PJ to do what it does best. 
    'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • otterotter Posts: 760
    tino_11 said:
    There are songs on Ed’s albums that I wouldn’t want on a PJ album. Having his solo stuff gives him an avenue to get this side of his music out there, freeing up PJ to do what it does best. 
    Good point 
  • stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,365
    goldrush said:
    This ^
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    tino_11 said:
    Very nicely put. I know many folk love the Earthlings project but it really doesnt interest or excite me much. 

Although one of favourite tracks on Gigaton is an EV solo track in senses, River Cross, and as such there are always exceptions LOL
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Whatever results in new records for us, I’m happy! Viva la musica! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,406
    I'm just enjoying all of the music that these guys release. Whether it's PJ, a new band or a solo project. I'm all for all of it.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited March 2022
    They all have side projects which I think is great.  They are all individual artists and members of a group.  

Restricting only to PJ related activities is like saying I’m not allowed to have any outside interests or to do anything as an individual  because I’m married. That wouldn’t be the healthiest arrangement for anyone 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,835
    I would prefer it if Stone and Jeff wrote all of Pearl Jam's songs, and Eddie's songs just wind up on his solo albums.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    Solo stuff is a bonus, not a replacement. 
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,251
    goldrush said:

Indeed! 
    Yeah, whatever produces more music.
     I think I felt that Pearl Jam was sort of missing out cause EV was making songs without the others, so we were/are not getting enough new Pearl Jam material.
    anyone feel that?
  • PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Posts: 49,889
    edited March 2022
    I don't really understand the poll options... is the 3rd choice supposed to mean I like that EV does his own stuff? If so, that's what I think. I LOVE Eddie's solo work. And I love that all the other guys do their own solo work (I am a particularly massive fan of RNDM's two albums, and Brad is also very good). I think they all need their own stuff outside of Pearl Jam... Honestly, sometimes I get the impression that Pearl Jam is a bigger part of certain fans' lives than it is for the actual band, haha.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
    PJ_Soul said:
    I don't really understand the poll options... is the 3rd choice supposed to mean I like that EV does his own stuff? If so, that's what I think. I LOVE Eddie's solo work. And I love that all the other guys do their own solo work (I am a particularly massive fan of RNDM's two albums, and Brad is also very good). I think they all need their own stuff outside of Pearl Jam... Honestly, sometimes I get the impression that Pearl Jam is a bigger part of certain fans' lives than it is for the actual band, haha.
    Yup, I think you're right!

There are a few bands/side projects/releases that I just can't get into, even though I tried. The majority of them have been awesome, though.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,532
    I will listen to and buy anything that jeff does. I love it that he releases so much stuff. I'd love to hang some of his art in my house. Particularly the "batman" version of the portrait he has on I Should Be Outside. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

I will listen to and buy anything that jeff does. I love it that he releases so much stuff. I'd love to hang some of his art in my house. Particularly the "batman" version of the portrait he has on I Should Be Outside. 
    Same here---same with Stone as well. They both write some truly great songs.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    ITW and Earthlings are probably my favourite PJ adjacent things that have come out since Avacado.    I had the same not to excited start with Earthling as I did with Gigaton, but Gigaton still sits ok with me, but Earthling has really grown on me a lot.

i'm ok with EV solo stuff.   I get the feeling the amount of time the members of the band want to be active are different, so doing side projects seems to satiate the needs of the band members that like to be more active?
    I’ll tell you this I’ll tell you wow it would be fucking awesome to hear Pearl Jam turn that song from the jerk into a rocker LOL
    They all have side projects which I think is great.  They are all individual artists and members of a group.  

Restricting only to PJ related activities is like saying I’m not allowed to have any outside interests or to do anything as an individual  because I’m married. That wouldn’t be the healthiest arrangement for anyone 
    So true ,  I shouldn’t single out Eddie…

• mattcozmattcoz Posts: 2,202
    I'd rather have more music than less.
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,251
    mattcoz said:
    I'd rather have more music than less.

True. Would be pretty cool if this year they play tunes off the new album that's in the works. 
  • my_wavemy_wave Posts: 346
    edited March 2022
    I've always thought that most of Ed's solo songs on Pearl Jam albums, especially the acoustic ones, should be on Ed solo albums to make room for more Pearl Jam, there are so many outtakes and demos out there that should be on albums, and yes I know it's unclear who wrote most of those, but even still, put Ed's stuff on Ed's albums and Pearl Jam stuff on Pearl Jams... I still don't understand why they put the PJ version of Sleeping By Myself on Lightning Bolt, that should have been a B-side or on one of the x-mas singles... Some of the songs I think could have been Ed solo material are Off He Goes, Around The Bend, Soon Forget, Thumbing My Way, Gone, Just Breathe, Speed Of Sound, The End, Future Days, Drifting, Man Of The Hour, etc... just a thought/opinion... either way it's all Ed/Pearl Jam and I love it all! Anyways just patiently waiting for Lost Dogs 2... all those songs that we all know about need to be released!
    Post edited by my_wave on
    st. pete '94
    west palm beach '98
    tampa '00
    tampa '03
    tampa '08
    brooklyn '13
    austin '14
    austin '14
    tampa '16

ed - clearwater '12
    ed - clearwater '12
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,466
    Tough question....I'm sure Ed has a lot of ideas that he doesn't want to have to run by anyone. 

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,500
    More jeff and matt
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Evel KEvel K Posts: 526

Things were different then