*** Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings Inglewood, CA Fanviews 2/25/22 ***

SeaSea Earth Posts: 2,903
edited February 2022 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings
YouTube Theater
Inglewood, CA
February 25, 2022
Show
Set list

Band Onstage: 9:13
Band Offstage: 11:31
Walk on music: On My Way-(from the album Earthling)

Earthlings
Eddie Vedder: Vocals, Guitars, Keys
Chris Chaney: Bass
Glen Hansard: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Josh Klinghoffer: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Chad Smith: Drums
Andrew Watt: Guitars, bg vocals

Guests: Benmont Tench-B3, Wurlitzer,
Olivia Vedder-vocals
Stewart Copeland-Drums
Horn Section: Nate Walcott-trumpet, Sean Billings-trumpet, Vikram Devasthali-trombone, James King-Saxophone

Opening: Glen Hansard
Falling Slowly w/Olivia Vedder

The Earthlings
01. Drive-(Buck, Berry, Mills, Stipe)
02. Room At The Top-(Petty) w/ Benmont Tench
03. Long Way-(from the album Earthling) w/Benmont Tench
04. Invincible-(from the album Earthling)
05. In The Dark-(from the album Earthling)
06. Brother The Cloud-(from the album Earthling)
07. Tender Mercies-(Vedder, Hansard) -(from the soundtrack for the film Flag Day)
08. The Haves-(from the album Earthling)
09. I’m One-(Townshend)
10. Mrs. Mills-(from the album Earthling)
11. Wishlist
12. My Father’s Daughter-(Vedder, Hansard) Olivia Vedder vocals-(from the soundtrack for the film Flag Day)
13. Try-(from the album Earthling)
14. Chad-O
15. Rose Of Jericho-(from the album Earthling)
16. Fallout Today-(from the album Earthling)
17. Better Man / Save It For Later-(Charley, Cox, Morton, Steele, Wakeling) (just says “Don’t run away/Don’t Let Me Down) (tag 45 seconds)

Encore Break

18. Baby Don’t You Do It-(Holland, Dozier, Holland) w/ Benmont Tench, Horn players. Glen co-lead vocal
19. The Waiting-(Petty) w/Benmont Tench
20. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison) w/Benmont Tench
21. Dirty Frank
22. Porch
23. Message In A Bottle-(Sting) w/Stewart Copeland-drums
24. Rocking In The Free World(Young)—w/Stewart Copeland-drums /Chad Smith-guitar

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Sea on
Tagged:

Comments

• Insane night. New songs sounded fantastic. The Waiting was quite a moment. They totally nailed it. Not so much on Message In A Bottle. 😂 
  • dimitrispearljamdimitrispearljam NINUNINOPRO Posts: 139,136

Stewart Copeland IS A LEGEND!!!!

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,578

Stewart Copeland IS A LEGEND!!!!

He sounded amazing on RITFW.!!
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • Great main set. Encore was fanfuckingtastic.

That version of Porch was face melting. Chad Smith was on fire all night, really enjoyed that drum solo. Having Benmont Tench added to the show for sure and Copeland ending was fantastic. 

I was in the 7th row and was sitting next to a childhood friend of Andrew Watt. Him and his friend seemingly really had no idea about EV or Pearl Jam. His friend (from NY) went to dinner the previous night with Watt and all the band members minus EV were there. He showed me a video of Andrew Watt playing at his wedding and a short email sent in 2009 stating he was going to play with Vedder someday. They took off early and missed Watt smashing his guitar… but I had already rushed the stage on the encore like so many others. Security gave up trying to disperse us. 

Watt gave what was left of the smashed guitar to a kid who also got a tambourine from EV. Pretty cool for the kid but it seems to encourage more parents to bring kids and put them on their shoulders for most of the show. Didn’t bother me, but I wasn’t right behind them either. 

The cover of the Band version of Baby Don’t You Do It was a highlight for me.  EV said they played it after the second Seattle show when they jammed at his house till 5am. Needed a horn section to play it live, and of course JK knew some fellas.  They nailed it. 

The cover of Message in a Bottle with Copeland was a little clunky at first, but they got it down. Copeland was having a blast up there on that one and RITFW.  He is one of the all-time greats for sure and came in cold and brought it (I NEED to see an Oysterhead show someday). Smith grabbed a guitar to jam on that song. Chris Chaney is an awesome bassist, the rhythm section was rocking all night. 

The cover of I’m One was great as well. I’ve never really liked the Dirty Frank tune, always thought it was a throw away, but it was a fun song to see live, kind of like Sweet Lew at Ohana. It almost seemed like EV didn’t want to play it, but Smith and Chaney started the song and EV looked back and laughed and started singing. 

Having Benmont Tench really added to the TP covers. The Waiting was particularly special as mentioned earlier in the thread. 

The songs off the album were great, and OV singing My Father’s Daughter was cool to see live. She sounds as good live as on the album. The amount of talent on the stage is kind of astounding when I stop snd think about it. 

The venue sounded great, very intimate (I think the furthest seat is 134 feet from the stage) and that embedded L-Acoustics sound system really did the trick. If you want to read more about it this is a good article:
    https://www.livedesignonline.com/news/newly-launched-youtube-theater-comes-embedded-l-acoustics

Really enjoyed Glen Hansard’s opening act. Think it was five songs. The opener and the piano ballad dedicated to the folks in the Ukraine were particularly impressive. He also performed a duet with OV off the Flag Day Soundtrack, can’t remember the song title.GH was having a great time with the Earthlings, you could certainly tell. Everyone in the band was having a blast, lots of energy on stage. 

Overall, great main set list and mind-blowing encore. It was a fucking rock show and a memorable one at that. 

• meisteredermeistereder Posts: 1,554
    Amazing night. Ed pointed out during Message in a Bottle that they had “no practice” on that song. I got the impression it was impromptu when Copeland started a drum riff and the guitars followed. Ed didn’t know the words to the beginning at all. Very fun. 

I’m not really a Chili Peppers fan, so Chad Smith on drums was new to me and he was unreal and very entertaining all night. 

Glen Hansard can still belt it out. 

A great warmup for me and my wife for Imola in four months!  
    San Diego 10/25/00, Mountain View 6/1/03, Santa Barbara 10/28/03, Northwest School 3/18/05, San Diego 7/7/06, Los Angeles 7/9/06, 7/10/06, Honolulu (U2) 12/9/06, Santa Barbara (EV) 4/10/08, Los Angeles (EV) 4/12/08, Hartford 6/27/08, Mansfield 6/28/08, VH1 Rock Honors The Who 7/12/08, Seattle 9/21/09, Universal City 9/30/09, 10/1/09, 10/6/09, 10/7/09, San Diego 10/9/09, Los Angeles (EV) 7/8/11, Santa Barbara (EV) 7/9/11, Chicago 7/19/13, San Diego 11/21/13, Los Angeles 11/23/13, 11/24/13, Oakland 11/26/13, Chicago 8/22/16, Missoula 8/13/18, Boston 9/2/18, Los Angeles 2/25/22 (EV), San Diego 5/3/22, Los Angeles 5/6/22, 5/7/22, Imola 6/25/22, [London 6/29/24], [Boston 9/15/24]
  • sloveniaslovenia Posts: 102
    Great main set. Encore was fanfuckingtastic.

That version of Porch was face melting. Chad Smith was on fire all night, really enjoyed that drum solo. Having Benmont Tench added to the show for sure and Copeland ending was fantastic. 

I was in the 7th row and was sitting next to a childhood friend of Andrew Watt. Him and his friend seemingly really had no idea about EV or Pearl Jam. His friend (from NY) went to dinner the previous night with Watt and all the band members minus EV were there. He showed me a video of Andrew Watt playing at his wedding and a short email sent in 2009 stating he was going to play with Vedder someday. They took off early and missed Watt smashing his guitar… but I had already rushed the stage on the encore like so many others. Security gave up trying to disperse us. 

Watt gave what was left of the smashed guitar to a kid who also got a tambourine from EV. Pretty cool for the kid but it seems to encourage more parents to bring kids and put them on their shoulders for most of the show. Didn’t bother me, but I wasn’t right behind them either. 

The cover of the Band version of Baby Don’t You Do It was a highlight for me.  EV said they played it after the second Seattle show when they jammed at his house till 5am. Needed a horn section to play it live, and of course JK knew some fellas.  They nailed it. 

The cover of Message in a Bottle with Copeland was a little clunky at first, but they got it down. Copeland was having a blast up there on that one and RITFW.  He is one of the all-time greats for sure and came in cold and brought it (I NEED to see an Oysterhead show someday). Smith grabbed a guitar to jam on that song. Chris Chaney is an awesome bassist, the rhythm section was rocking all night. 

The cover of I’m One was great as well. I’ve never really liked the Dirty Frank tune, always thought it was a throw away, but it was a fun song to see live, kind of like Sweet Lew at Ohana. It almost seemed like EV didn’t want to play it, but Smith and Chaney started the song and EV looked back and laughed and started singing. 

Having Benmont Tench really added to the TP covers. The Waiting was particularly special as mentioned earlier in the thread. 

The songs off the album were great, and OV singing My Father’s Daughter was cool to see live. She sounds as good live as on the album. The amount of talent on the stage is kind of astounding when I stop snd think about it. 

The venue sounded great, very intimate (I think the furthest seat is 134 feet from the stage) and that embedded L-Acoustics sound system really did the trick. If you want to read more about it this is a good article:
    https://www.livedesignonline.com/news/newly-launched-youtube-theater-comes-embedded-l-acoustics

Really enjoyed Glen Hansard’s opening act. Think it was five songs. The opener and the piano ballad dedicated to the folks in the Ukraine were particularly impressive. He also performed a duet with OV off the Flag Day Soundtrack, can’t remember the song title.GH was having a great time with the Earthlings, you could certainly tell. Everyone in the band was having a blast, lots of energy on stage. 

Overall, great main set list and mind-blowing encore. It was a fucking rock show and a memorable one at that. 

original version of baby don't do it is marvin gaye, covered by the band, i believe.  glen hansard has played it solo before.  this concert got me hooked on glen. absolutely insane performance.  you can feel his passion.  baby don't you do it is at 1:02 mark.  don't know if it's same version as last night.   

Glen Hansard - Live at Down The Rabbit Hole 2016 (Full Show) - YouTube
    this gift and bird of sorrow are highlights of this show.
  • VikkivaleVikkivale Los Angeles, CA Posts: 222
    Exhilarating night! Not much to add...the above posts say it perfectly. Just want to say that I was unsure of what vibe would be, given the state of the world. It was a fun, light-hearted mood, to my surprise. I can't remember when I've seen Eddie have so much fun on stage.  Just what I needed! An escape from reality, where I could forget the outside world and just be at a rock concert! 
  • Great main set. Encore was fanfuckingtastic.

The song Olivia guested on during Glen’s opening set was the Oscar winning Falling Slowly from the Once soundtrack. Glen’s biggest hit by far. 
  • Glen is ALWAYS awesome. Ive seen him in every  form. Frames
     Swell season and  solo
     And every  single time without  fail have been blown away. Love the guy wholey
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • As others have already made clear, this was an incredibly fun show. Ed mentioned early that he expected this to be the best show of the tour, and he wasn't kidding! Between that and his comment midway through the show that they had already paid for extra time to go over curfew, there were certainly high expectations set -- and those were exceeded.

A few observations:

- Getting Benmont on a handful of songs was a treat. Ed was clearly honored to be able to play with him and praised Benmont throughout his time on stage. He told a story about when PJ played with TP/The Heartbreakers in Milwaukee that was really poetic.

- Ed emphasized that the title of the song from the new record is "IN the Dark." Wonder why it's titled The Dark on the album itself?

- The playing on Brother the Cloud was a little off, but Ed sang his fucking heart out and appeared incredibly passionate throughout. It was obvious that the lyrics carry a pretty heavy weight for him.

- When they first started playing Message in a Bottle, it almost seemed like a fuck-around-improv, and Ed looked a bit confused. But they kept going and he really pulled it together after the first verse. Thought it came off really well in the end considering that it was unrehearsed.

- The Waiting was a big highlight. Sounded so good, and - again - to have Benmont on stage for it felt extra special. 

- Porch is always mindblowing.

- Olivia Vedder has an incredible voice and seems to be having a great time performing. Eddie's wife, Jill, was in attendance too (on the floor about 10 rows back) and was rocking out. Olivia eventually came down to the floor and rocked out with her. Really sweet to see love they all share for music.
    Everything has chains...Absolutely nothing's changed. - PJ

“The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion.” - Albert Camus
  • WW187806WW187806 Long Island, NY Posts: 502

Great fanview. Like back in the day... you include the set list pictures or songs left off, lol!
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited February 2022
    slovenia said:

original version of baby don't do it is marvin gaye, covered by the band, i believe.  glen hansard has played it solo before.  this concert got me hooked on glen. absolutely insane performance.  you can feel his passion.  baby don't you do it is at 1:02 mark.  don't know if it's same version as last night.   

Glen Hansard - Live at Down The Rabbit Hole 2016 (Full Show) - YouTube
    this gift and bird of sorrow are highlights of this show.
    Yes Marvin Gaye recorded it first. They played The Band version (stated in my original post) off Stage Fright. EV is a fan. They used to play the song quite consistently on the Sirius/XM PJ channel. 
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Ernie VedderErnie Vedder Redlands, CA Posts: 2,221

A54CDC74-AB63-4EC8-9B55-3658DDD136FC-13112-000005CA4B5AFE40_zps094ecfbc.jpg
    My son got to meet the very lovely Jill Vedder. 
    Munk-One was in the house! 
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,408
    We had the good luck to sit behind Josh Homme.....dude is so tall!

Luckily he only stayed for a few songs!
  • heartofadogheartofadog Portland, OR Posts: 350
    Man I hope a decent recording of this show surfaces.
    1993: Portland, OR (09/06), Seattle, WA (12/07), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    1995: Seattle, WA (02/05)
    1996: Seattle, WA (09/16)
    1997:
    Oakland, CA (11/19)
    1998:
    Portland, OR (07/18), Seattle, WA (07/21), Seattle, WA (07/22)
    2000: Bellingham, WA (05/10), Vancouver, BC (05/11), Mountain View, CA (10/31), Portland, OR (11/02), Seattle, WA (11/05), Seattle, WA (11/06)
    2002: Seattle, WA (12/05), Seattle, WA (12/06), Seattle, WA (12/08), Seattle, WA (12/09)
    2003: Vancouver, BC (5/30), Seattle, WA (10/22), 
    2006: Portland, OR (07/20)
    2009: Berlin, DE (08/15), Seattle, WA (9/21), Seattle, WA (9/22)
    2010: Berlin, DE (06/30)
    2013: Los Angeles, CA (11/23), Los Angeles, CA (11/24), Portland, OR (11/29), Spokane, WA (11/30)
    2018: Seattle, WA (08/10)
    2022: Seattle, WA (2/22)
    edited February 2022

Shows original show date, not rescheduled date but oh well. 
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    edited February 2022

Shows original show date, not rescheduled date but oh well. 
    Monk will be selling his live art he did on the day as a poster, which uses the rescheduled date. :)
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22

• Shows original show date, not rescheduled date but oh well. 
    Monk will be selling his live art he did on the day as a poster, which uses the rescheduled date. :)
    That’s the one I want.
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,229
    Oh, I didn't know that! Did he mention when he plans to the online sale by chance? 

Thannks!
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,171
    Oh, I didn't know that! Did he mention when he plans to the online sale by chance? 

Thannks!
    End of March!
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Missed out on the Munk One AP drop for this show, was travelling and forgot all about it despite getting the email notice.  Anyone know if there will be regular SE of that poster dropped? 

• One of the best shows I've ever been to, and I've been to a lot. 

Please tell me that the Ed solo shows will be avail as a bootleg on here as well?
  • Man I hope a decent recording of this show surfaces.
    DITTO!
    Here’s my video of Dirty Frank from this show 

https://youtu.be/q-Wd2VFjr38