Turn Tables and DACs - Getting the best sound

2»

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,366
    Because you want everything hooked up and no swapping, you have to either keep the Pioneer, or replace it.  It cannot be eliminated.  You have multiple inputs (TT and digital audio) therefore you need a proper preamp stage.  And you have speakers, so you need an amplifier stage.  There's no way around it.  Getting these Schiits will not remove the need for preamp/amp combo.  

Considering your budget, and your desire to get the best sound for your money, I would really suggest you get an integrated amplifier.  You could make one purchase and be done.  You can always tweak it with external components down the line if you want to get a little more out of your system, but you will always need the preamp/amplifier stage regardless.  

I get your disdain of the black box.  In particular, 80's components are terribly ugly.  Here's a suggestion.  It's a touch over your price point ($899) but it's a dynamite performer.  Yamaha A-S801.  It's a beautiful design, has phono stage, internal DAC that accepts USB, optical or coaxial (so you could plug in your laptop and a TV as well).  Also has a sub out, and 2 sets of speakers.  You can also run Yamaha's in 'pure direct' mode, which turns off internal cards, so the signal is direct.  It's quieter and cleaner.  If you don't know about Yamaha, it's very well regarded and punches well above its price point.  It's also a looker.  

You will not spend less than $900 and get a better combo of dacs, phone, headphone and pre/amp stage without buying used and even then, maybe not.  

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/yamaha-a-s801-integrated-amp?variant=AYHAAS801S&gclid=CjwKCAiA9tyQBhAIEiwA6tdCrBXihwv8lz72pYLUOVeCTuFaILLkFO4zOokK3h2YprjGB6psbnSUnhoCzyMQAvD_BwE

Plus, if you order from Music Direct or Crutchfield, you get try it out and send it back if you don't like it. They have cheaper models, but you'll lose some things like USB, A+B speakers, smaller wpc, etc. 

• JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    mrussel1 said:
    Because you want everything hooked up and no swapping, you have to either keep the Pioneer, or replace it.  It cannot be eliminated.  You have multiple inputs (TT and digital audio) therefore you need a proper preamp stage.  And you have speakers, so you need an amplifier stage.  There's no way around it.  Getting these Schiits will not remove the need for preamp/amp combo.  

Considering your budget, and your desire to get the best sound for your money, I would really suggest you get an integrated amplifier.  You could make one purchase and be done.  You can always tweak it with external components down the line if you want to get a little more out of your system, but you will always need the preamp/amplifier stage regardless.  

I get your disdain of the black box.  In particular, 80's components are terribly ugly.  Here's a suggestion.  It's a touch over your price point ($899) but it's a dynamite performer.  Yamaha A-S801.  It's a beautiful design, has phono stage, internal DAC that accepts USB, optical or coaxial (so you could plug in your laptop and a TV as well).  Also has a sub out, and 2 sets of speakers.  You can also run Yamaha's in 'pure direct' mode, which turns off internal cards, so the signal is direct.  It's quieter and cleaner.  If you don't know about Yamaha, it's very well regarded and punches well above its price point.  It's also a looker.  

You will not spend less than $900 and get a better combo of dacs, phone, headphone and pre/amp stage without buying used and even then, maybe not.  

https://www.musicdirect.com/integrated-amp/yamaha-a-s801-integrated-amp?variant=AYHAAS801S&gclid=CjwKCAiA9tyQBhAIEiwA6tdCrBXihwv8lz72pYLUOVeCTuFaILLkFO4zOokK3h2YprjGB6psbnSUnhoCzyMQAvD_BwE

Plus, if you order from Music Direct or Crutchfield, you get try it out and send it back if you don't like it. They have cheaper models, but you'll lose some things like USB, A+B speakers, smaller wpc, etc. 

This is the way...
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Appreciate the feedback, love the Mandalorian, cant buy that hideous thing. Can they make it bigger?
    RS65573 said:
    Appreciate the feedback, love the Mandalorian, cant buy that hideous thing. Can they make it bigger?
    What's the mandalorian?
    "This is the way...", is a quote from Mandalorian Star Wars show on Disney +.
    RS65573 said:
    "This is the way...", is a quote from Mandalorian Star Wars show on Disney +.
    You could try the Emotiva, which is good but not as good as the Yamaha.  It's not as powerful.  It's more compact though  But it does support MC as well, so a little more future flexibility.  https://emotiva.com/collections/amps/products/basx-ta1-stereo-preamp-dac-tuner-with-integrated-amplifier

If your'e willing to throw down another grand, then the Peachtree Nova is highly regarded.  But you pay for the size efficiency, at $1700

https://www.audioadvice.com/peachtree-nova300-amplifier+color-Gloss~Ebony~Mocha?gclid=CjwKCAiA9tyQBhAIEiwA6tdCrHlydp9iDk2pnfn1mTvt0bRpxbIntCbwDM1atDr_J11K7XJPvFhNlBoCCzwQAvD_BwE
    Thanks. I like the size of the Emotiva. This would require those banana plugs?
    RS65573 said:
    Thanks. I like the size of the Emotiva. This would require those banana plugs?
    I doubt it.  they just accept banana plugs.  The likely unscrew and you secure the wire behind them, then screw them back down.  Emotiva is good about answering their phones.  You can call or use their chat function to confirm. 
  • I have the topping ex5. Its a combo headphone amp, and dac. It also has a bluetooth receiver that does the highest quality ldac standard. It also decodes mqa(not that its necessary and maybe snake oil, but thats a different discussion). 

Its quite complicated with many charts. If you dont understand it, thats fine. All you need to know is that it produces an extremely clean signal with extremely low noise and distortion in both the DAC and headphone amp.  This measures better than the schiit products but those are good too.  

Going the component way will give you way better sound than any integrated amplifier. Most integrated solutions will have much worse signal to noise ratio. However, the simplicity of an integrated solution is nice. 

I highly suggest the mani 2, as will improve the sound. Also, as others have suggested, definitely check your cartridge. 

The schiit sys is what I suggested before to switch between my analog and digital systems, its simple, cheap and transparent. 

Have fun!
    Thanks foriginalsin. 

How do I go out from the EX5? I dont know what these 3 prong plugs are, but I used to use MICs with that type plug.
  • foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 711
    edited February 2022
    RS65573 said:
    Thanks foriginalsin. 

How do I go out from the EX5? I dont know what these 3 prong plugs are, but I used to use MICs with that type plug.
    Correct. Pro audio, like your mic uses xlr connections. This is a better balanced connection to prevent against ground loops. All pro grade amps use xlr inputs. Its great to have but not necessary. You would just use the regular rca outputs on the ex5 to your amp. In the future if you upgraded your amp and it has xlr, you’re ready bc you have the capability. 

Also in general, in terms of upgrading sound in terms of components, the most important is your speakers or headphones.  The difference will be dramatic and noticeable.  Upgrading your amp  and dac is less important and much harder to hear. 
    RS65573 said:
    I cant speak to its quality, but this would eliminate every item including the computer.

KEiiD Bluetooth (V5.0) Stereo Digital Amplifier Receiver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLRBDV4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=345539904-2-&tag=shopperz_origin3-20

Then I just need 1 input for turn table, put my FLAC on USB and this can play them. 
    So you guys dont like this? Good reviews, replaces everything, cheap, 30 day return.
    Ive read these old Advent bookshelf speakers are great so I dont plan to upgrade the speakers. Just raise them up.

Im trying the Grado SR80x headphones now. I like them, open back, non canceling.
    RS65573 said:
    RS65573 said:
    I cant speak to its quality, but this would eliminate every item including the computer.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLRBDV4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=345539904-2-&tag=shopperz_origin3-20

Then I just need 1 input for turn table, put my FLAC on USB and this can play them. 
    So you guys dont like this? Good reviews, replaces everything, cheap, 30 day return.
    It doesn't replace everything for you.  You would need a DAC to support your laptop (no USB-A on that device, and the DAC is only 16/44.  That's only cd quality).  You would also need a phone stage.  There is no phono amp on it.  

You get what you pay for, that's what I would say. 
    Topping makes a wonderful DAC.  I still have a Topping D70 that I connect a computer to my vintage 1971 Marantz 2245.  I was very happy with it over the years. 
    Well this has USB that plays FLAC, so it eliminates need for laptop or a DAC. Just get a big ass thumb drive.

I guess yes need phono preamp...
  • mrussel1 said:
    Topping makes a wonderful DAC.  I still have a Topping D70 that I connect a computer to my vintage 1971 Marantz 2245.  I was very happy with it over the years. 
    D70 is awesome. 
  • RS65573 said:
    RS65573 said:

No. As Mrrussel1 said, you get what you pay for and it doesn’t solve all your problems anyway. 
    Would this do everything? 

Peachtree Audio nova150 Integrated Amplifier with DAC
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/224851814029
    RS65573 said:
    Would this do everything? 

Peachtree Audio nova150 Integrated Amplifier with DAC
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/224851814029
    Yes, absolutely.  Peachtree is a high quality product. There's a reason why a used one is double the price of Emotiva.  
    Thanks. Small is very important since I have little space up there.

Ideally im going to swing it all to the left or right, and get a couch under that window.