Turn Tables and DACs - Getting the best sound

RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
In the Psst Fresh Faced - Earthling thread, some users were nice enough to help me get some info on how to hook up my dads old turn table. In an effort to not pollute that thread, I thought id move this here.

Right now, I'm running a 70s Audio Research Turn table (AR-XB), into an 80s Pioneer SA-V1160 Amplifier, then out to 2 old Advent speakers.
I also have a Laptop, with Flacs, headphone out, into RCA AUX in Pioneer receiver.

My question is what receiver/amp/DAC device will allow me to hook 2 inputs then go out to my Advents to replace my receiver/amp? (This Pioneer is huge and really ugly.)

I think the Shiit Modi is what I want on the DAC front, but that doesn't take into account the turn table.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I will be testing the FLAC out tonight on Benaroya. 

Comments

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,689
    There is a lot of discussions about turntables and stereo systems on the Musicians and Gearheads forum. You might get more answers there. I got a lot of turntable help in that forum.
  • Running a turntable through a DAC doesnt make sense and is unnecessary.  Because vinyl is analog theres no need for a DAC. What you want is a passive switch. I currently use the schiit sys which allows me to switch between my analog and digital sources. Its $50 and completely transparent. 
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Running a turntable through a DAC doesnt make sense and is unnecessary.  Because vinyl is analog theres no need for a DAC. What you want is a passive switch. I currently use the schiit sys which allows me to switch between my analog and digital sources. Its $50 and completely transparent. 
    Just the laptop would goto the DAC. THANKS!
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    Check out the Denon PMA-600 NE. I have one and love it.

Has a built in phono stage to handle the TT directly. Also has a built in DAC and 3 digital inputs (1 coaxial, 2 optical)...not sure if this will meet your exact needs.
    JBob87 said:
    Check out the Denon PMA-600 NE. I have one and love it.

Has a built in phono stage to handle the TT directly. Also has a built in DAC and 3 digital inputs (1 coaxial, 2 optical)...not sure if this will meet your exact needs.
    It does, thank you! Smaller would be better.

Flac Benaroya hall sounds great. Need shiit modi next I guess. 
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Paging @mrussel1

www.cluthelee.com
  • foriginalsinforiginalsin Posts: 711
    edited February 2022
    RS65573 said:

Flac Benaroya hall sounds great. Need shiit modi next I guess. 
    Definitely get a separate dac. The modi is a very good dac and measures very well. The modius measures even better and has balanced output for $70 more. Either one is fine and is going to be leagues better than any avr receiver.  

You should also put your speakers up on stands. Unless you're sitting on the floor, the speakers should be ear level. 
    Post edited by foriginalsin on
  • Marantz pm7000n
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,366
    edited February 2022
    RS65573 said:
    In the Psst Fresh Faced - Earthling thread, some users were nice enough to help me get some info on how to hook up my dads old turn table. In an effort to not pollute that thread, I thought id move this here.

Right now, I'm running a 70s Audio Research Turn table (AR-XB), into an 80s Pioneer SA-V1160 Amplifier, then out to 2 old Advent speakers.
    I also have a Laptop, with Flacs, headphone out, into RCA AUX in Pioneer receiver.

My question is what receiver/amp/DAC device will allow me to hook 2 inputs then go out to my Advents to replace my receiver/amp? (This Pioneer is huge and really ugly.)

I think the Shiit Modi is what I want on the DAC front, but that doesn't take into account the turn table.

You have two options...

1. Purchase a more modern integrated amp that has an internal DAC ( almost all do) along with at least one analog input,  and a USB A input. 

2. Keep your ugly 80s receiver and get an external DAC like the Schiit that accepts USB A as well.  

The reason USB A is key is two fold 

First,  it's unlikely that your laptop has an optical out. Few do.  If you do,  then you have some more flexibility.  But generally they do not.  So you have to use USB A to connect the laptop to the DAC or integrated amp along with a software program like JRiver.

Now the good news is that this is the best way to play digital music. It's bit perfect,  jitter free and bypasses the crappy sound card in your laptop. 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
    Paging @mrussel1

Hey there!
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    mrussel1 said:
    Paging @mrussel1

Hey there!
    What’s up maestro!? See you dropped some knowledge for the OP! 👍🏻
    www.cluthelee.com
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    I run my digital files through my Cambridge DacMagic 100. Wolfsen DAC, don't really listen to a lot of digital files but when I do It is pleasing to the ear.
    edited February 2022
    MedozK said:
    I run my digital files through my Cambridge DacMagic 100. Wolfsen DAC, don't really listen to a lot of digital files but when I do It is pleasing to the ear.
    Yes, that would work perfectly for the OPs situation because it has a USB Audio input.  

Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • Why not get two pieces of Schiit? Modi for the DAC. Mani for the phono preamp. That would be a nice mini stack for not a lot of money.
    LB260405 said:
    Why not get two pieces of Schiit? Modi for the DAC. Mani for the phono preamp. That would be a nice mini stack for not a lot of money.
    The OP didn't say anything about needing a phono stage and presumably has one in the current receiver. If that receiver is replaced,  then the integrated amp will need to have a phono or buy an external like the mani.
  • RS65573 said:

• The mani 2 just came out. Its solid. I use the mani 1 and its great. 
  • I guess I interpreted that statement incorrectly.

If you need a new amplifier, you could go with the Cambridge AXA35. It sounds like a million bucks (my opinion, of course), and it is very affordable. It has a built-in phono preamp, as well. It does not, however, have a DAC. You could hook up the Schiit Modi to this, and have a really nice setup.
  • I have an Asgard with a truebit dac upgrade and a mani. Works a treat!
    mrussel1 said:
    RS65573 said:

You have two options...

1. Purchase a more modern integrated amp that has an internal DAC ( almost all do) along with at least one analog input,  and a USB A input. 

2. Keep your ugly 80s receiver and get an external DAC like the Schiit that accepts USB A as well.  

First,  it's unlikely that your laptop has an optical out. Few do.  If you do,  then you have some more flexibility.  But generally they do not.  So you have to use USB A to connect the laptop to the DAC or integrated amp along with a software program like JRiver.

Now the good news is that this is the best way to play digital music. It's bit perfect,  jitter free and bypasses the crappy sound card in your laptop. 
    Huge thanks to everyone!!! Great information.

I will check out the Marantz pm7000n. I also saw some decent reviews on other huge big box units...but I dont love this route.

foriginalsin - Ill absolutely get them off the floor on stands. I'm usually sitting playing guitar or screwing around with records on the floor, so lower is ok.

mrussel1 -  I am in IT, how big an advantage is an optical out? If its huge, ill get something. Right now i'm just playing the FLAC in VLC player. Ill check out Jriver.

The issue I have is when I remove the amp, I don't fully understand the amount and correct shiit I would need. 

So, I would need the Magni just for headphones, the Modi for the digital audio from computer and the Mani Preamp for the turn table. Then I also need some kind of switch right to get 2 inputs?

Going to read about the Cambridge DacMagic 100 and asgard.

RS65573 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    RS65573 said:

You have two options...

Huge thanks to everyone!!! Great information.

I will check out the Marantz pm7000n. I also saw some decent reviews on other huge big box units...but I dont love this route.

foriginalsin - Ill absolutely get them off the floor on stands. I'm usually sitting playing guitar or screwing around with records on the floor, so lower is ok.

mrussel1 -  I am in IT, how big an advantage is an optical out? If its huge, ill get something. Right now i'm just playing the FLAC in VLC player. Ill check out Jriver.

The issue I have is when I remove the amp, I don't fully understand the amount and correct shiit I would need. 

So, I would need the Magni just for headphones, the Modi for the digital audio from computer and the Mani Preamp for the turn table. Then I also need some kind of switch right to get 2 inputs?

Going to read about the Cambridge DacMagic 100 and asgard.

1. Optical out is not an advantage.  I'm just saying it's an extra port you could use if you had a DAC or integrated amp that had optical but not USB-A.  USB-A is the gold standard of digital audio because it would allow you to use ASIO or WASAPI drivers (depending on what your DAC supported).  This is the bit perfect method that essentially provides a direct path from the source on your pc out to the USB (vs passing through a more complicated path through your laptop sound card).  What you are doing today, using the headphone out to your receiver, is the worst method.  You are using your laptops crappy sound card to convert digital to analog.  You're definitely losing serious fidelity that comes with FLAC files.  

2. If you remove your amp, you need a new integrated, pre/amp amplifier combo, or receiver.  You need something to power the speakers. 

The setup you're trying to do is not complicated at all.  We're all throwing a bunch of crap at you, but you could easily do a decent integrated amp and plug your laptop and TT straight into it, and be done.  Poof.  The question really is what is your budget, and are you trying to meet your goal on day one, or add pieces over time.  
    The goal was to get dads turn table going. Now its just getting the best sounds and look. I would prefer not spend over 7-800, but would go higher on the right setup.

As you say, id love to do piecemeal, but once I pull that amp, I need everything.

I would buy the Modi today but its out of stock. I want to listen to Benaroya as high quality as I can without buying the record.

Am I right that with the Magni, Modi, Mani I'm short an input and would have to swap for PC/Turn Table or am I missing something?
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    RS65573 said:
    The goal was to get dads turn table going. Now its just getting the best sounds and look. I would prefer not spend over 7-800, but would go higher on the right setup.

As you say, id love to do piecemeal, but once I pull that amp, I need everything.

I would buy the Modi today but its out of stock. I want to listen to Benaroya as high quality as I can without buying the record.

Am I right that with the Magni, Modi, Mani I'm short an input and would have to swap for PC/Turn Table or am I missing something?
    Not to derail the thread, but if it’s your dads old turntable you may want to look at the cartridge.  

The best setup in the world can’t make up for an old/worn  stylus  and bad cartridge. 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
    Your right Cropduster and thanks for the tip.

Dad was a bit of an audio guy in the 70s, so the turn table had 2 old cartridges in a plastic case as well as the one on the unit, which im not sure how to tell what kind it is. Im getting there. Alot of information.

The backup cartridges look like an Audio Dynamics and a Pickering.

RS65573 said:

I assume your receiver today has a phono amp.  That's why you don't have an external one and are connecting your TT directly to it, right?  Below I see a ground on the left, so that means phono. 

If you waned to do piecemeal, honestly the only thing you need right now is the external DAC. Adding that to your rig would dramatically improve your digital audio quality.  

Adding the phone stage would help next, as I'm sure the phono stage in your receiver is pretty old and could use some help.  And then your headphone stage, if you use that often.  

Changing your receiver/amp could be last.  Solid state amps should all sound the same, or at least the difference should not be wildly different.  So you could skip that.  However, if you are going to do it, all these Schiit's could become unnecessary down the line, as every replacement integrated will have some combo of phono, headphone, DAC.  It just depends if you like to have stand alone components for flexibility.  So you have to plan.  

Regarding your last question, I don't know what you mean by an input short. If this image is of the back of your receiver, you have plenty of analog inputs.  You could run your new DAC to any of them, same with the phone stage.  Then, assuming there is an analog out (I can't really see), you would have the headphone amp at the end of the line.  So DAC/Phono stage ->receiver ->analog out > headphone amp.  If you don't have an analog out, then it gets a little more complicated to put the headphone amp into the chain, but it can be done with an RCA selector.  

Thank you again.

Yes the Pioneer has a phono amp.

I dont care if its stand alone components or one thing, but I hate the big black receiver look.

As far as an input short, the goal is to get everything hooked up without having to swap anything and replace the Pioneer. Everything from Shiit has a single input.

Is the assumption all the shiit equipment precedes the Pioneer Amp and that remains? I guess so because none of these have speaker outs.

Sorry this is a lot of info and old equipment i'm trying to understand.
    I cant speak to its quality, but this would eliminate every item including the computer.

KEiiD Bluetooth (V5.0) Stereo Digital Amplifier Receiver

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SLRBDV4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?SubscriptionId=AKIAJO7E5OLQ67NVPFZA&ascsubtag=345539904-2-&tag=shopperz_origin3-20

Then I just need 1 input for turn table, put my FLAC on USB and this can play them.