Earthlings production pales in comparison to

KV4053KV4053 Posts: 1,503
Gigaton.

Gigaton is recorded so well. High dynamic range and incredible soundstage. Earthling is poorly recorded relatively speaking.

I'm talking about production quality only, not song craftsmanship
I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.

Comments

• nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 8,314
    Agree. Not a huge fan of gigaton but it SOUNDED amazing. This EV release sounds like shit to me. I’m not a fan of the poppy, glossed over sound. Chads drums sound terrible here. 
  • Complainers
    Complainers
    Weirdo 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 
    Complainer and terrible at comebacks. Try again, that was a bad reply, I’ll let you try again. Please, try harder. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 
    Complainer and terrible at comebacks. Try again, that was a bad reply, I’ll let you try again. Please, try harder. 
    You’re annoying. You’re unable of accepting other peoples opinion on music. It’s weird. Very weird. 
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 
    You’re annoying. You’re unable of accepting other peoples opinion on music. It’s weird. Very weird. 
    Ur just a complainer. Everything sounds like shit and terrible sound, bla bla bla. What records have you produced and how do you set up your drums to get the best sounds?  You sound qualified, just wondering your techniques so I can pass it along to Andrew. 
  • halvhalv Posts: 699
    KV4053 said:
    Gigaton.

Gigaton is recorded so well. High dynamic range and incredible soundstage. Earthling is poorly recorded relatively speaking.

My wife and I were saying the same thing earlier while listening to  the album. For lack of a better word it lacks oomph. It's missing the bottom end. 
  • KV4053 said:
    Gigaton.

I've seen a handful of posts like this.  Is there a way of explaining what you're hearing/listening to to the UNTRAINED ear?  Pretend like you're talking to a moron and explain it to me please.   I'm not disagreeing with you - I just honestly have no idea when folks get into production sound quality.  I would love to be educated.  And if it's one of those you just hear it, or you don't hear it situations ....then maybe just take EV's advice at the end of BTC (that's just me being "playful").
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 
    Ur just a complainer. Everything sounds like shit and terrible sound, bla bla bla. What records have you produced and how do you set up your drums to get the best sounds?  You sound qualified, just wondering your techniques so I can pass it along to Andrew. 

Stop being on a message board if you are unable to understand the concept of people having opinions. That is the very foundation of a message board.

So if you have not grasped that, or what it looks like - can't comprehend people not falling in line with your wonky opinions -- then you should start working on understanding that very basis of a discussion forum before logging on. 

Have you ever run a logistics business or a fanclub? You sound qualified with how much you have complained about the fanclub singles not arriving. You sound qualified, just wondering your techniques so I can pass it along to Tim Bierman.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • #irony 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 
    Worst argument I’ve ever heard. And you use it all the time. Do you tell people this when they don’t like a movie that you enjoy? “Go make a better movie.. waaaahhh”. How old are you? 
    edited February 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 

Stop being on a message board if you are unable to understand the concept of people having opinions. That is the very foundation of a message board.

So if you have not grasped that, or what it looks like - can't comprehend people not falling in line with your wonky opinions -- then you should start working on understanding that very basis of a discussion forum before logging on. 

Have you ever run a logistics business or a fanclub? You sound qualified with how much you have complained about the fanclub singles not arriving. You sound qualified, just wondering your techniques so I can pass it along to Tim Bierman.
    Exactly. Jeez, read through that singles thread if you want to see some top notch complaining and whining.  And I’m the complainer? I’m discussing the production on the new EV album. What a joke. 
    Post edited by nicknyr15 on
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    I agree gigaton sounds better.  I don’t agree that it means earthling sounds bad as there are still a lot of PJ albums where the sound is comparatively worse.  Most of the reissues/remasters, self titled, probably LB off the top of my head.  

Haven’t really gotten too deep as to how it compares against the entire catalog but surely it’s in the top tier somewhere.  I’ve only listened to the Apple Music Atmos mix so far of Earthling though. 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 

Dude, ur the biggest complainer on these boards. Every thread you are bashing or being negative or just complaining. I just like calling you out because it seems like all your comments are miserable. Do you like anything or say anything positive? I didn’t know you were an expert at being perfect. Your comments are just sad. Try and find something positive instead of bashing everything. Lots of people calling you out. Really, it’s 1991 anymore, time to grow. 
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,118
    edited February 2022
    nicknyr15 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    Complainers
    Weirdo 

Dude, ur the biggest complainer on these boards. Every thread you are bashing or being negative or just complaining. I just like calling you out because it seems like all your comments are miserable. Do you like anything or say anything positive? I didn’t know you were an expert at being perfect. Your comments are just sad. Try and find something positive instead of bashing everything. Lots of people calling you out. Really, it’s 1991 anymore, time to grow. 
    Again, have you ever run a logistics business or a fanclub?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • PB11041PB11041 Posts: 2,805
    Spiderman Pointing Meme Couples Caps  Etsy
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• KV4053 said:
    Gigaton.

I've seen a handful of posts like this.  Is there a way of explaining what you're hearing/listening to to the UNTRAINED ear?  Pretend like you're talking to a moron and explain it to me please.   I'm not disagreeing with you - I just honestly have no idea when folks get into production sound quality.  I would love to be educated.  And if it's one of those you just hear it, or you don't hear it situations ....then maybe just take EV's advice at the end of BTC (that's just me being "playful").
    It’s sometimes subjective.  Low end for instance.  Some people adjust their speakers to reduce anyway so it’s a matter of preference.  Also depends on equipment as on a turntable sometimes a cartridge has different characteristics so the same album sounds slightly different.

I usually look for soundstage/separation as to the music having a wider more expansive sound vs everything being crammed together. Does the music sound good across the entire spectrum of sound, vocals balanced or to far forward or back.  Another big one is loudness.  Sometimes when you crank the volume up it sounds bad and it hurts your ears but a different album at the same volume level it’s enjoyable. 

At the end of the day I think it’s both objective and subjective opinions kind of combined.  If everyone is listening to the same source material on different equipment I’m sure that leads to different interpretations 

I’m by no means technically educated on this and a lot around here know a lot more of the technical differences.  I just tend to know what sounds good to me. It’s harder to explain why it sounds better or worse 
  • RP112579RP112579 Posts: 3,380
    PB11041 said:
    Bingo.
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
    8/29/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/31/23 Chicago-Wrigley Field
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    It has a pop sheen! So slick the record might just fly off my table! Haha! Ed's channeling his 80s influences, and growing up in the 80s as a kid, I can dig it! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041 said:
    lol
  • eboweddieeboweddie Posts: 1,004

i wish i wish i wish i wish, i guess it never stops
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,366
    KV4053 said:
    Gigaton.

Hey, so a lot of one's ability to hear the difference between well recorded and poorly recorded will depend on their equipment.  The better your equipment, the clearer the difference.  How do you listen to vinyl?  What is your setup?
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,949
    KV4053 said:
    Gigaton.

I'm able to pick up differences much easier with a pair of decent headphones. If you haven't done that with Gigaton, I highly recommend it as the album become even better. The way I describe it is that on a well recorded and mixed album, there's depth and space in the music. With headphones this is more literal, as in the sound comes to your ears with a width of about 6-8 feet. Listening to Gigaton is like sitting in front of Matt's drum kit and his snare is right over your head and the other instruments are spread out in an arc in front of you. I notice this also with some of Ben Harper's albums.

A contrast is Avocado. Everything is squeezed and maxed out. The quiet isn't really quiet and there's less space. Instead of 8 feet across, the musical depth feels like it's the 9 inches across from ear to ear.
  • estarr31estarr31 Posts: 575
    From the sounds of it, Andrew Watt is probably producing the next PJ album. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • JoostoneJoostone Posts: 232
    edited February 2022
    Andrew Watt is not the problem here. The problem is not recording or engineering.  No problem lies in the mixing and mastering. The mixing and masterengineer made it sound like a compressed and loud modern pop record like Coldplay, Bieber or Taylor Swift.

Oh wait.. that's exactly who Serban Ghenea (mix) and Randy Merril (master) usually work with...
    PJ: Pinkpop 2000, Sydney I/II/III 2003, Adelaide 2003, Arnhem 2006, Antwerp 2006, Berlin 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Nijmegen 2007, Werchter 2007, Rotterdam 2009, Berlin 2009, Nijmegen 2010, Amsterdam I/II 2012, Amsterdam I/II 2014, Amsterdam I/II 2018, Pinkpop 2018, Werchter 2018, Pinkpop 2022, Budapest 2022, Krakow 2022, Amsterdam 2022.
    EV: Amsterdam II 2012, Amsterdam I/III 2017, Amsterdam I 2019
    Brad: Zoetermeer & Utrecht 2013
    Soundgarden: Pinkpop 2012, Amsterdam 2013, Utrecht 2014
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,393
    So I’m guessing if you listen to the MP3s you’re not going to pick up on this? It’s a vinyl thing? My (unsophisticated) setup is phone/computer to Apple headphones or Bose portable speaker.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited February 2022
    On headphones and listening via your phone Apple Music or whatever you can for sure tell the difference between self titled and gigaton as that’s easier to spot 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • estarr31estarr31 Posts: 575
    Those are the acts Watt works with tho. I don't know who mixed it. I'll have to give it another listen to see if I notice anything. 
    Mansfield 6/30/08 -  Wrigley Field 7/14/13 -  Worcester I 10/15/13 -  Global Citizen 9/26/15 -  MSG II 5/2/16 -  Fenway I 8/5/16 -  Fenway II 8/7/16 -  Fenway II 9/4/18 - LA I 5/6/22 - LA II 5/7/22 - MSG 9/11/22 - Nashville 9/16/22 - St. Paul I and II 8/31/23-9/2/23
  • fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    Joostone said:
    Andrew Watt is not the problem here. The problem is not recording or engineering.  No problem lies in the mixing and mastering. The mixing and masterengineer made it sound like a compressed and loud modern pop record like Coldplay, Bieber or Taylor Swift.

Oh wait.. that's exactly who Serban Ghenea (mix) and Randy Merril (master) usually work with...
    I think this is it right here. For me everything is too compressed and loud. There is a lack of dynamics and it can be fatiguing to listen to.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,949
    I'm glad I have an untrained ear.  It all sounds the same to me and that can be a good thing I guess.  I either like the music or I don't.