*** Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings Newark, NJ Fanviews 2/6/22 ***

SeaSea Posts: 3,013
edited February 2022 in Given To Fly (live)
Eddie Vedder & The Earthlings
NJPAC
February 06, 2022
Newark, NJ
Show Set List

Eddie Vedder
intro music at 9:10
Intro Music: On My Way-from the album Earthling
Band Onstage; 9:12
Band Offstage: 11:18

Earthlings Band:
Chris Chaney: Bass
Glen Hansard: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Josh Klinghoffer: Guitars, Keys, bg vocals
Chad Smith: Drums
Andrew Watt: Guitars, bg vocals

Opening: Glen Hansard 8 pm

Earthlings Set List
01. Society-(Hannan) Ed & Glen only
02. Room At The Top
03. Here Comes The Sun
04. Timeless Melody-(L.A. Mavers) (Ed knocks over the mic stand, stops the band and picks up the song)
05. I’ll Be Waiting-(Vedder, Hansard)-from the Flag Day sound track album.  Ed and Glen swap lead vocal
06. Invincible-from the album Earthling
(Ed mentions surfing in New Jersey and praises the great Kelly Slater and says the song is dedicated to him.  Some person in the audience thumbs down Slater much to Ed’s annoyance.)
07.  The Dark-from the album Earthling
(praise for Watt)
08. Fallout Today-from the album Earthling
(CONTENT WARNING: Ed talks about a person he befriended who lost family during Sandy Hook. The person was supposed to visit but took their life a few weeks before they were to meet up.  Ed goes onto discuss the next song.  https://www.nimh.nih.gov/site-info/if-you-or-someone-you-know-is-in-crisis-and-needs-immediate-help
09. Brother The Cloud-from the album Earthling
10. Tender Mercies-from the Flag Day sound track album (Ed and Glen swap lead vocal)
11. Wishlist
12. Long Way-from the album Earthling
13. The Haves-from the album Earthling
14. Mrs. Mills-from the album Earthling
15. Try-from the album Earthling w/ Danny Clinch harmonica
16. Chad-0-(Chad drum solo)
17. Rose Of Jericho-from the album Earthling
18. Precious-(Hynde)
19. Hard Sun-(Peterson)

Encore Break

20. I Am A Patriot-(Van Zandt) {fast version}
21.  Dirty Frank
22. Isn’t It A Pity-(Harrison)
23. Porch

Please share your experiences of the show here...the Fanview threads are preserved on the board.
Please keep the Fanview threads for Fanviews. It's ok to begin another thread on discussions of other topics and/or debates. Thank you!
Thank you, John for the set list & notes.

Post edited by Kat on
Tagged:

Comments

• ruggs1996ruggs1996 Posts: 586
    edited February 2022
    Great start, okay middle, decent finish.

Highlights: Invincible, the guy from the upper deck sarcastically screaming “Let’s go!” during the beginning of Tender Mercies, the person who ran across the stage and was guided off my security, and Porch

EV sounded great and Chad Smith was for sure the best part of the night
    Post edited by ruggs1996 on
    Camden 2 (2008) 
    Philly 1 and 4 (2009)
    Newark (2010)
    MSG 1 (2010)
    Toronto 1 and 2 (2011)
    Brooklyn 1 and 2 (2013)
    Philly 2 (2013)
    Greenville (2016)
    Columbia (2016)
    MSG 2 (2016)
    Fenway 2 (2016)
    EV NJPAC (2022)
    MSG (2022)
    Denver (2022)
  • fookiefookie Posts: 301
    Ruggs we’re you at this show?????
    okay middle? 
    There ain’t gone be any middle  anymore…
    sick fucking show 
  • Society was excellent, Rose of Jericho is a beast of a song. Brother the Cloud is great live and Mrs. Mills is beautiful. There’s something about that melody…

Patriot and Porch brought PJ fans together and everyone’s happy.

GN

Severed Hand
  • JDjrJDjr Posts: 91
    edited February 2022
    Great show, loved the venue! Feel like we got a little gift with Society to open (especially after no songs from ITW at Beacon shows) and then Hard Sun!  I am a Patriot is so flipping good, and Porch- well, it’s Porch and it’s a classic and it rocks! And Dirty Frank again- it was AWESOME!  Thought the new songs played well, the whole crew was at its best when rocking hard. I loved the band- a total joy to watch the passionate energy they all had for the music. Ed’s voice was on point.  Just what the doctor ordered after a longggggg two year concert drought!
    Post edited by JDjr on
    A lifer.
  • Finally! A full band version of Hard Sun!  =)
    93: Slane
    96: Cork, Dublin
    00: Dublin
    06: London, Dublin
    07: London, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    09: Manchester, London
    10: Dublin, Belfast, London & Berlin
    11: San José
    12: Isle of Wight, Copenhagen, Ed in Manchester & London x2
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,728
    edited February 2022
    I was also really happy to hear Hard Sun since they didn’t play it at the Beacon. Porch was insane tonight. Amazing. Overall, great show!!

Post edited by GlowGirl on
  • Killer show. Glen was AMAZING. Ed and the boys played all the songs I was pissed they played at n.2 NYC cause I thought we wouldn’t get em in Newark ie. Dirty Frank, Timeless Melody. And then they even topped that. The super fast rocking version of Patriot slayed. The Pretenders cover and Hard Sun were both cool surprises. And the new stuff is growing on me and def sounds better live and ruckusy. Great night. AND I even got all the merch I wanted and all the stuff another member in Canada wanted. For all my initial griping about ticket prices, it was worth every cent. 
  • jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    edited February 2022
    Such an amazing night! Hard Sun was my highlight, was the song my husband and I walked down the aisle to, so to hear it live was just incredible. The energy in that room blew me away, they killed it! 
    And the venue was simply gorgeous, felt like royalty in those box seats! 

Post edited by jenjen5769 on
  • URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    Awesome set tonight and lots of energy from the crowd and in the band.
    At one point Ed points out a guy that was Andrew Watt’s Biology teacher from HS who had taken Andrew to his first PJ concert. Said w/o that gesture the Earthlings might never have been there tonight, then passed him back some ‘beer money’ through the crowd, it was a 100$ bill. 

• URthekeyURthekey Posts: 1,763
    The aforementioned Andrew Watt:

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,837
    Pajamas onstage! Guy has chops but that wardrobe!  
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Get_Right said:
    Pajamas onstage! Guy has chops but that wardrobe!  

Just watched their rendition of Purple Rain.  Andrew Watt can f'ing play.  Phenomenal.

• Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    edited February 2022
    Killer show. Glen was AMAZING. Ed and the boys played all the songs I was pissed they played at n.2 NYC cause I thought we wouldn’t get em in Newark ie. Dirty Frank, Timeless Melody. And then they even topped that. The super fast rocking version of Patriot slayed. The Pretenders cover and Hard Sun were both cool surprises. And the new stuff is growing on me and def sounds better live and ruckusy. Great night. AND I even got all the merch I wanted and all the stuff another member in Canada wanted. For all my initial griping about ticket prices, it was worth every cent. 
    Totally agree. Have seen Glen a few times and was blown away by that set.
    Got a huge surprise when the usher said our loge seats were obstructed view (camera rig) and walked us down to front row center. Heart in my throat. Aside from how good Ed and the Earthlings sounded, I'm so glad to discover Room at the Top and Isn't it a Pity.
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • SmellymanSmellyman Posts: 4,524
    Ryan_WFC said:
    Killer show. Glen was AMAZING. Ed and the boys played all the songs I was pissed they played at n.2 NYC cause I thought we wouldn’t get em in Newark ie. Dirty Frank, Timeless Melody. And then they even topped that. The super fast rocking version of Patriot slayed. The Pretenders cover and Hard Sun were both cool surprises. And the new stuff is growing on me and def sounds better live and ruckusy. Great night. AND I even got all the merch I wanted and all the stuff another member in Canada wanted. For all my initial griping about ticket prices, it was worth every cent. 
    Got a huge surprise when the usher said our loge seats were obstructed view (camera rig) and walked us down to front row center. Heart in my throat. Aside from how good Ed and the Earthlings sounded, I'm so glad to discover Room at the Top and Isn't it a Pity.

you luck SOB.

You hadn't heard him at the Oscars?

• Ryan_WFC said:
    Damn, that's fucking awesome. 

Anyone get a tambourine? He was tossing those out like frisbees 

I know I'm likely biased, but felt the NJ set list was the best of the 3 so far.
    His intro to Brother the Cloud was incredibly heartfelt, sobering, sad and beautiful. Amazing song 
  • TremormanTremorman Posts: 385
    edited February 2022
    Amazing night.  Just jotting down some random stuff while its fresh.    The quiet opener with just Ed and Glen on Society ended with a fury of dueling Townshend speed strumming between the two.    Invincible was a very unique and compelling song.  Its so atmospheric but gets a bit heavy too.   All the fast new ones were fucking great.  Ed was stalking the edge of the stage on many of them giving them his full energy.   Loved fast Patriot (no slow start!).   At one point Ed said this next song wouldn't have been written without this next person and they are no longer with us before slamming into Dirty Frank which was sort of a funny fake out.   Big band bow at the end of this one with all members laughing like they had a blast.   As Ed walked off the stage he spotted an Irish flag on a monitor and picked up and gave a wave.

Couple of other banter notes :   Before Fallout Today , Ed gives props to Watt.  He says he helped him so much with the record and he ordered lunch and dinner.. definitely someone you hang on to.  He also said Fallout Today is up there with a Mike McCready solo .  Watt's bio teacher was in the audience and Ed said the teacher took him to Watt's first PJ show, so this night is in a way because of him , to big cheers.  And Ed joked indirectly about the Motely Crue thing saying Chad's kit stays right where it is, it doesn't need to flip around to be cool (or something like that) to laughs.   In the Brother the Cloud intro about the Sandy Hook dad, Ed mentions someone told him the song reminded him of the SH dad.  Ed said he could understand that  but that loss was so unbearable he wouldn't apply the song to him.  He said BrotherTC is about "a few people but Jeremy is not one of them".

Jill was also in the house, rocking out and graciously taking some pictures with a handful of people.  
    Post edited by Tremorman on
  • Ryan_WFCRyan_WFC Posts: 1,342
    edited February 2022
    Smellyman said:

You hadn't heard him at the Oscars?

I did hear that the night of and liked it, but it didn't stick with me for whatever reason. I think the electric guitar parts take it up another level.
    The people on both sides of me got a tambourine, plus four or five others a little further back. Ed handed my wife a pick after the second or third song which was awesome.
    They took most of the set lists backstage.
    Post edited by Ryan_WFC on
    "They said ... timing was everything
    made him ... want to be everywhere
    there's a ... lot to be said for nowhere."
  • OceansJennyOceansJenny Posts: 3,394
    Tremorman said:
    At one point Ed said this next song wouldn't have been written without this next person and they are no longer with us before slamming into Dirty Frank which was sort of a funny fake out.   
    Thanks for the write up!! I’m guessing he means “no longer with us” as in he doesn’t drive their bus anymore? :confused: 
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • shetellsherselfshetellsherself New Jersey Posts: 8,818
    It was a perfect night.  Awesome set with surprising changes from what I saw at Beacon 1.  I was so happy that I got to see Dirty Frank. Honestly always loved that song and it was fire last night!  Clearly rehearsed well and played by a band that WANTS to play it.  Ed seemed to really love singing that one.  I am a patriot is one of my favorites so that was a highlight.  So happy I was there and met some super nice people (as usual) too.  No way I could miss it living 20 minutes away and super grateful to find a single at a good price from another board member yesterday.  It’s also nice that after Beacon 1 and some you tube videos, I’m starting to recognize and know the new songs. Have to say there isn’t a single song I don’t like on the new album.  
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    10/08/14 Tulsa 10/09/14 Lincoln
    9/26/15 NYC Global Citizen
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    4/7/17 RRHOF New York City
    9/2/18 Fenway 1 9/4/2018 Fenway 2
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
    2/4/22 EV Earthlings NYC 2/6/22 EV Earthlings Newark 9/11/22 MSG 9/14/22 Camden
    9/3/24 MSG 1 9/4/24 MSG 2 9/7/24 Philly 1 9/9/24 Philly 2
    Tremorman said:
    Amazing night.  Just jotting down some random stuff while its fresh.    The quiet opener with just Ed and Glen on Society ended with a fury of dueling Townshend speed strumming between the two.    Invincible was a very unique and compelling song.  Its so atmospheric but gets a bit heavy too.   All the fast new ones were fucking great.  Ed was stalking the edge of the stage on many of them giving them his full energy.   Loved fast Patriot (no slow start!).   At one point Ed said this next song wouldn't have been written without this next person and they are no longer with us before slamming into Dirty Frank which was sort of a funny fake out.   Big band bow at the end of this one with all members laughing like they had a blast.   As Ed walked off the stage he spotted an Irish flag on a monitor and picked up and gave a wave.

Couple of other banter notes :   Before Fallout Today , Ed gives props to Watt.  He says he helped him so much with the record and he ordered lunch and dinner.. definitely someone you hang on to.  He also said Fallout Today is up there with a Mike McCready solo .  Watt's bio teacher was in the audience and Ed said the teacher took him to Watt's first PJ show, so this night is in a way because of him , to big cheers.  And Ed joked indirectly about the Motely Crue thing saying Chad's kit stays right where it is, it doesn't need to flip around to be cool (or something like that) to laughs.   In the Brother the Cloud intro about the Sandy Hook dad, Ed mentions someone told him the song reminded him of the SH dad.  Ed said he could understand that  but that loss was so unbearable he wouldn't apply the song to him.  He said BrotherTC is about "a few people but Jeremy is not one of them".

Jill was also in the house, rocking out and graciously taking some pictures with a handful of people.  
    Hey!! So glad you made it in!  Agree with everything above. Sorry I didn’t get to meet you there. 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    7/19/13 Wrigley 10/19/13 Brooklyn 2 10/21/13 Philly 1 10/22/13 Philly 2 10/25/13 Hartford
    4/16/16 Greenville 4/28/16 Philly 1 4/29/16 Philly 2 5/1/16 MSG 1 5/2/16 MSG 2 8/7/16 Fenway 2 8/20/16 Wrigley 1
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
  • jenjen5769jenjen5769 Posts: 108
    edited February 2022
    Didn’t see this mentioned but the venue had some local craft brews available from Hoboken Brewery. 
    Was a nice touch! 

Post edited by jenjen5769 on
  • sancknersanckner Posts: 21
    edited February 2022
    I love Eddie with another strong vocalist in Glen. It’s so fun and beautiful to see them work together. Tender Mercies kicks me in the gut and was amazing to hear. Glen’s opening set was amazing — for some reason I thought he wouldn’t play stuff from Once which he did. A few people near me knew Falling Slowly but didn’t realize it was from a film and this was the guy. 

I very much appreciated Eddie chastising the new dad who’d requested Wishlist since his wife had a baby 10 days. Ed (not exact quote): I just have one question: why the fuck are you here?? He later mentioned that he knows a good divorce attorney for the guy’s wife. He played the song, but I was glad he called the guy out on priorities.  

All in all, 41 year old me feels really lucky that 12 year old me decided PJ was my favorite band and EV my favorite singer. 

NJPAC was a lovely space. Staff was really impressive and enthusiastic, sharing in the ridiculous energy we all have. And cleaner bathrooms than I’ve ever had at a PJ show. 
  • Tremorman said:

Hey!! So glad you made it in!  Agree with everything above. Sorry I didn’t get to meet you there. 
    Thanks for the lead!  Sorry my NJ navigation game is a bit weak.  My seat actually ended up to be really good.   5 songs in, I realized Jill was in the row right in front of me and I got to say hi!  Would not have taken the chance on going  if you didn't  send that first note... thanks again!
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,412
    Ryan_WFC said:
    That's awesome!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Tremorman said:
    Tremorman said:

Thanks for the lead!  Sorry my NJ navigation game is a bit weak.  My seat actually ended up to be really good.   5 songs in, I realized Jill was in the row right in front of me and I got to say hi!  Would not have taken the chance on going  if you didn't  send that first note... thanks again!
    That’s so funny bc I was 2 rows behind and to the left of Jill.  😂 Glad it all worked out! 
    5/3/92 Omaha, NE
    6/19/95 Red Rocks
    9/11/98 MSG
    11/19/12 EV solo Tulsa
    9/18/21 Asbury Park
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,447
    Finally getting around to doing my fanview- I’m the guy who attended the show leaving his wife and 10-day-old daughter, Sloane, at home (insert joke here). After staying up partying all night long, Sloane has finally decided to take a nap, giving me time to collect my thoughts and write this. The dedication to little Sloane was obviously the biggest highlight for me; never in a million years did I ever think that would happen (see the request thread on this in the porch). It’s amazing to me that after 30 years, the band actually takes the time to read posts on this forum by random fans and then takes time out of a show to do dedications/requests like this; it is truly a testament to their character and separates them from other bands. Thanks again to Ed and the band for making a truly special moment for me and little Sloane, and creating a memory that we will cherish forever. P.S., I particularly enjoyed the bit about the divorce attorney, as my wife and I are also attorneys (fortunately not family law attorneys at least). 

Now on to the rest of the show. I thought the show was great and a lot of fun. It was nice to see Ed try something new with a different group of musicians (all of whom are extremely talented) after all these years. The Earthlings weren’t PJ, and they weren’t trying to be (playing only 3 PJ songs out of 23 total); they were their own thing, which I really appreciated and enjoyed. I thought the band sounded great and looked like they were having a blast up there. I really liked that they did a diverse setlist consisting of new material, into the wild, covers, and PJ. I thought the new songs sounded really good—especially brother, fallout today, and long way—and I can’t wait to listen to the full album next week. Society and hard sun were great as always. I also thought all of the covers were great. Timeless melody was a nice surprise. I always really liked that song but completely forgot about it and hadn’t listened to it for years until about two months ago, when it randomly came on while I was listening to PJ on Spotify. So it was very cool hearing that song shortly after having rediscovered it. Patriot was also another great unexpected surprise. Dirty frank was another highlight for me. I’ve always been chasing it and really wanted to hear it, but moreso just to check it off the list; I just thought of it as a kind of silly little song/outtake that wouldn’t be that great live. But I couldn’t have been more wrong- they killed it live! They played it with amazing energy, the funky rhythms really stood out, and Watt killed the solo. This will probably be a somewhat unpopular opinion, but after hearing it last night, I actually think that after all these years, the Earthlings, not PJ, may have been the right band to revive DF, with Smith and Klinghoffer driving those chili peppers-style beats. I also though Glen Hansard was great last night. So in sum, an awesome show from start to finish IMO. If anyone has an opportunity to go to one of the remaining shows and is still on the fence about going for some reason, GO!!! Hope to see some of you at the rescheduled US shows later this year (fingers crossed)!
  • What you said about DF was spot on. The second half of the song was amazing. 
  • What a fantastic show at a really awesome venue. It's so rare to be able to see guys like Eddie Vedder and Chad Smith at such an intimate and cool little theater with great acoustics. Of course I'll take a PJ show at a baseball stadium any day of the week but there's something really special and cool seeing Ed at a venue like this.

I think what made this show so enjoyable is the energy from the band man. I mean a show is just so much better when you can tell and feel that the band actually wants to be there. You can't fake that. And the entire band was having a blast up there and I think that positive energy made its way to the crowd. Someone mentioned it in a Beacon Theater fan review but Ed is definitely drinking a lot less on stage for these shows and I think it has certainly helped him maintain his performance throughout the show. 

It was my first time seeing Eddie solo and I really appreciated getting some ITW songs for the first time this tour. I've seen PJ do Society in Boston before but I've never heard Hard Sun live and I thought the energy and performance of that song was fantastic here. Dirty Frank was tiiiiight. Great rendition of that song. And Porch was a perfect closer. 

I'm really digging the new songs and quite frankly am very impressed with what I have heard from the new album. Specifically, Brother The Cloud is some of Ed's best work in the last 15 years I think. I got chills when it was played last night after Ed's little speech before the song. It's such a powerful song from the lyrics to the actual music. It has great arrangement as well. The guys really nailed the live version. Would go see this band again just to hear that one live again. It's really an excellent song. As was Rose of Jericho. I also think Long Way makes for a great live song as well. Ed's vocals were really on point for it.

Overall that was a great experience and worth the drive from Philly + the cost of ticket. I was in the orchestra about 12 rows back so it wasn't cheap...But it was worth every cent. The entire band, not just Ed, really brought it. I was super impressed with Watt and you can see how much he is enjoying playing in a band with one of his musical idols...It looks exactly like you think it would look if your dream came true. The thing is he can play guitar on top of it all! Chad Smith is an animal behind the kit as well. Really appreciated seeing him get to hammer away a bit which you don't get to see him do as much as RHCP shows. 

If you're on the fence of going to any of the remaining shows...I highly recommend you do!!
  • steven87steven87 Posts: 1,447
    Didn’t see this mentioned but the venue had some local craft brews available from Hoboken Brewery. 
    Was a nice touch! 

I agree that was a nice touch. I was pleasantly surprised after I took a few sips and noticed it said even flow on the can. Pretty good beer too!