Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    I'm more worried about a nuclear accident than a nuclear attack, TBH. Never underestimate the Russian propensity for incompetence and corruption. I disagree with Tom Nichols about a number of things, but I think he's  on solid ground when it comes to nuclear matters. I'm much less worried about Putin going nuclear than I was a year ago (I'm not going to panic until Tom says it's time to panic).

I'm not suggesting that "we" should try to eliminate Putin; but he is a Russian man of a certain age, in a certain position, so there will be a successor, likely sooner than later. And I'm not hearing anything to suggest that there's anyone waiting in the wings who is not steeped in the old ways.
    I just presumed it would be Dmitry Medvedev.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,804
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options

• Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    mickeyrat said:
    This is absolutely disgusting. WTF is wrong with the people who would do such a thing? Goddam savages.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options

• Options
    kinda expect more of this for the next 2 years.....

Pentagon accounting error provides extra $6.2 billion for Ukraine military aid
    By Lolita C. Baldor, Tara Copp
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Pentagon said Tuesday that it overestimated the value of the weapons it has sent to Ukraine by $6.2 billion over the past two years — about double early estimates — resulting in a surplus that will be used for future security packages.

Pentagon spokeswoman Sabrina Singh said a detailed review of the accounting error found that the military services used replacement costs rather than the book value of equipment that was pulled from Pentagon stocks and sent to Ukraine. She said final calculations show there was an error of $3.6 billion in the current fiscal year and $2.6 billion in the 2022 fiscal year, which ended last Sept. 30.

As a result, the department now has additional money in its coffers to use to support Ukraine as it pursues its counteroffensive against Russia. And it come as the fiscal year is wrapping up and congressional funding was beginning to dwindle.

continues....

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,254
    dudeman said:
    mickeyrat said:
    This is absolutely disgusting. WTF is wrong with the people who would do such a thing? Goddam savages.

This is what the Russian army has been for a very long time. Ask the Finns. (Fwiw, they treat their own soldiers horribly, too -- not that that''s any justification for what they are doing to Ukrainians. Corruption and gross abuse are longstanding issues in the Russian/Soviet military.)
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    mickeyrat said:
    I was just coming to post about this.

So one way or the other there is going to be an attack on the plant and radiation is going to be everywhere...

That cloud should go over into Russia though, no?  I don't get why attacking this is a good idea.
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    mickeyrat said:

So one way or the other there is going to be an attack on the plant and radiation is going to be everywhere...

That cloud should go over into Russia though, no?  I don't get why attacking this is a good idea.
    was invading in the first place?

was the dam?

east of the river and crimea are fucked.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    mickeyrat said:

There's no way to know which way the radiation would be carried. I was sitting outside on a lovely day in Germany in 1985 when increased radiation from Chornobyl -- also in Ukraine -- was detected in Germany; that time, the radiation drifted west, over Poland and Germany. Also, Putin does not give a rat's ass about people in the military or people in general.

The point is to destroy Ukraine. Look at what the military is doing. They are trying to obliterate the land, the people, the language, the culture -- everything. He isn't planning to populate the region with more Russian speakers, scorched earth is fine with him.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

There's no way to know which way the radiation would be carried. I was sitting outside on a lovely day in Germany in 1985 when increased radiation from Chornobyl -- also in Ukraine -- was detected in Germany; that time, the radiation drifted west, over Poland and Germany. Also, Putin does not give a rat's ass about people in the military or people in general.

The point is to destroy Ukraine. Look at what the military is doing. They are trying to obliterate the land, the people, the language, the culture -- everything. He isn't planning to populate the region with more Russian speakers, scorched earth is fine with him.
    For the sake of following the jet stream let's just say it blows east.  That will eventually float into Russia a bunch of Stans and China.

Saying Putin doesn't give a shit is right.  He actually has his forces firing from the damn plant.  If Ukraine fires back and damages something then they get blamed.  

Power move.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

For the sake of following the jet stream let's just say it blows east.  That will eventually float into Russia a bunch of Stans and China.

Saying Putin doesn't give a shit is right.  He actually has his forces firing from the damn plant.  If Ukraine fires back and damages something then they get blamed.  

Power move.

one that can be captured on video, satellite,  drone cam.....

he either expects to die soon or will never leave Russia again...

• Options
    I don't assume that he's rational.

I am certain that he doesn't care if a nuclear disaster affects Belarus or Central Asia. But -- we also don't know what the scale of the disaster would be. Is it going to wipe out all life within a thousand miles of the plant? I doubt it (and I certainly hope not!). I can only speak from my own experience, since I'm not an expert on nuclear matters: Again, I was living in Germany at the time of the Chornobyl disaster. Schoolchildren were kept indoors during breaks (Pause -- recess); we were advised to avoid going out in the rain; produce needed to be washed thoroughly before eating, some was avoided altogether, fruit suddenly was imported from South America instead of Eastern Europe.

So there were no iodine pills being distributed, no mass panic and chaos.

I'm not trying at all to diminish how terrible Putin is, I'm saying that there's no way to know how widespread the damage and chaos from such a move would be.

But -- for all his talk, I do NOT think Putin wants to escalate things to the point where we and NATO are very directly involved in the conflict. The Russian army sucks, always has, and if I were him I'd not be counting on China for backup.  
  • Options

I am certain that he doesn't care if a nuclear disaster affects Belarus or Central Asia. But -- we also don't know what the scale of the disaster would be. Is it going to wipe out all life within a thousand miles of the plant? I doubt it (and I certainly hope not!). I can only speak from my own experience, since I'm not an expert on nuclear matters: Again, I was living in Germany at the time of the Chornobyl disaster. Schoolchildren were kept indoors during breaks (Pause -- recess); we were advised to avoid going out in the rain; produce needed to be washed thoroughly before eating, some was avoided altogether, fruit suddenly was imported from South America instead of Eastern Europe.

I'm not trying at all to diminish how terrible Putin is, I'm saying that there's no way to know how widespread the damage and chaos from such a move would be.

But -- for all his talk, I do NOT think Putin wants to escalate things to the point where we and NATO are very directly involved in the conflict. The Russian army sucks, always has, and if I were him I'd not be counting on China for backup.  
    I'll use the Japanese power plant as an example.  They were finding radiation all over the western coast.  That's a good ways away so that gives you an idea of what can happen.
  • Options

I'll use the Japanese power plant as an example.  They were finding radiation all over the western coast.  That's a good ways away so that gives you an idea of what can happen.

Sure, but it didn't render LA uninhabitable. To some degree, if something happens, the effects are far-ranging. I'm talking about the intensity of the effect: if the amount of radiation released is such that the global increase in cancer rates will be tough to distinguish from noise, that's one thing, and if they blow the whole plant sky-high and render half of Ukraine uninhabitable, that's a different matter. Both options suck, one will elicit a larger response than the other. 
  • Options

Agreed.  Also, I do not believe that Putin has the sole authority to launch.  I think it goes through the military. 
  • Options
  • Options
    edited June 2023
    So there’s trouble in paradise. @wartranslated on Twitter is translating Prigozhin’s video and adding other detail. 

https://twitter.com/wartranslated

ETA: this is crazy stuff. Prigozhin claims Shoigu fled, MOD is out to get Prigozhin, just go read for yourselves. Crazy time shitshow.

Post edited by curmudgeoness on
  • Options
    So there’s trouble in paradise. @wartranslated on Twitter is translating Prigozhin’s video and adding other detail. 

https://twitter.com/wartranslated

ETA: this is crazy stuff. Prigozhin claims Shoigu fled, MOD is out to get Prigozhin, just go read for yourselves. Crazy time shitshow.

It's now even crazier.  FBS has issued a warrant for incitement of an armed rebellion.  Which, by the way, seems accurate.  Either way, I don't know how Shoigu expects to get to him without massive casualties.  Things are going sideways in that back assward country. 

https://wapo.st/3qWLnUm
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,167
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Honestly? Too soon to tell. Assume all Russian outlets are lying. Assume Prigozhin is insane. Heightened security in Moscow suggests a serious matter, but beyond that hard to tell what the truth is.

@wartranslated on Twitter is covering things, also try Meduza, or Garry Kasparov (yes, the chess player) on Twitter.
  • Options
    And as always, Michael McFaul and Anne Applebaum will provide excellent analysis.
  • Options
    if wagner group is really doing this and abandoned their positions, maybe this will give ukraine an opening for the counteroffensive.

• Options

• Options
    reports now that putin is absent. he has been briefed, but has not said anything publicly.

i would have thought he would have been trying to get out ahead of this publicly, but clearly i am wrong.

• Options
    They (Wagner) say that they shot down one of the aircraft.

Seriously, I don’t think we’re going to know much of anything before tomorrow. Our government has indicated that it’s real, whatever it is, and they’re following it. Beyond that, neither Wagner nor the Kremlin should be trusted, and “there are no good actors.” Neither faction is pro-Ukraine.
  • Options