Be good to your skin!

Sorry for the "you should" sounding thread. I don't mean it to be that way. 
But the fact is, UV rays affecting our skin is a thing.  It's gotten more common over the years.  I'm going in more Mohs surgery tomorrow to have another basal cell carcinoma cut out of my face.  There are way worse things one can go through, but this is no fun either.  The whole face stab numbing thing (this on is the side of my nose- it's not gonna be fun), stitches, lingering pain, all that craps, no shower for three days.  If I had known, I would never have spent as much time in the sun and gotten sun burns when I was young.  Too late!

So, no, this is not a "you should".  Just a thought to consider.

Oh, and the other bad thing about tomorrow- I'm a night owl.  I have to get up at least two hours earlier than normal.  Yeah, I know, tiny violins.  :lol:
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,467
    Hope it all goes well @brianlux

One of the first things I had to learn when I moved from Wales (cold as fck) to Australia (hot as fck) was the importance of looking after your skin in the sun. 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • NEweatherNEweather Posts: 519
    Yeah, negative challenges for sure-the nerves all around the nose, that numbing jab, and removal work, care/ recovery, and violations to (your) circadium rhythms- Wishing you well & good, w/ minimal or no scarring & all blessings+ mercies for the timings, proceedures/ & doctor skills.
  • SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 6,433
    I agree. In fact, I'm responsible for my child's skin, too. 80% of their exposure happens before 18!

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,616
    Thanks folks.  Off I go to the skin doc. 
    Good time to have to be wearing masks in public.  It will cover the uglies!  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,966
    Take care Brian. smart stuff. 
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    It’s our biggest organ.  Need to pay attention to it.

Give Peas A Chance…
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Good luck, Brian. Speedy recovery!!
  • West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,872
    edited January 2022
    brianlux said:
    Sorry for the "you should" sounding thread. I don't mean it to be that way. 
    But the fact is, UV rays affecting our skin is a thing.  It's gotten more common over the years.  I'm going in more Mohs surgery tomorrow to have another basal cell carcinoma cut out of my face.  There are way worse things one can go through, but this is no fun either.  The whole face stab numbing thing (this on is the side of my nose- it's not gonna be fun), stitches, lingering pain, all that craps, no shower for three days.  If I had known, I would never have spent as much time in the sun and gotten sun burns when I was young.  Too late!

So, no, this is not a "you should".  Just a thought to consider.

Oh, and the other bad thing about tomorrow- I'm a night owl.  I have to get up at least two hours earlier than normal.  Yeah, I know, tiny violins.  :lol:
    Aw, big violins, sorry to hear this @brianlux I hope it all goes as well as can be expected and wishing you a safe recovery xxx
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
    Still at skin doctor. Three cuts and waiting to see if more or if suture time. This ain't no party, this ain't  no disco, lol.  Thanks for good thoughts, friends! 🥰

...and then there's the 5 hours (and counting) of digital elevator music.  Can I scream now? :lol:

Memo to self... bring earbuds when dealing the negative effects of the enjoying the beach!
    tish said:
    Memo to self... bring earbuds when dealing the negative effects of the enjoying the beach!

Sorry Tish, honestly, my motivation here was not to be a downer.  I'm sorry if you see this thread as such.  Do enjoy the beach!  But maybe use some sum block. 

We didn't have sun block when I was a kid.  We used Coppertan which increased the sun's rays.   That and COVID delaying the ability to get in sooner.  That's why I spent 7 hours having Mohs surgery today.   Seven fcking hours  Had I been able to get this done a year or 18 months ago, it would have gone way better.  Anyone diagnosed with a carcinoma, please do your self a favor and do your best to get it treated sooner than later.  Today was hell and the pain right now sucks big time.

edited October 2023

Post edited by Spunkie on
    tish said:
    Not a downer. Good advice. I keep looking at a little spot keeping an eye on it since I'm such a sun baby. Thanks for the heads up. Wishing you a quick recovery Briboy! 

Edit: Seriously, no one needs to heed your learnings on this more than me: 

@RatherStarved took this pic last Ohana.
    Look at how much sun I sucked up last summer!

Thank you Tish.  And big kudos for looking out for your kiddo.  Wise and caring mom! 
    Great photo there.  Looks like good times!