Platinum Tickets

There were 91 platinum tickets being sold by Ticketmaster as of 9 AM this morning for the second Eddie Vedder show in Chicago.   It's now 85 as I type this.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/eddie-vedder-and-the-earthlings-chicago-illinois-02-10-2022/event/07005B8896652861

As someone who went 0-for-Eddie on two 10 Club attempts and is also not a "verified fan" 2x according to TM.....this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.   Also never got an email that I was off the waitlist.....amazing that they can gouge fans like this.  "Unprecedented" demand....I'm sure.....but, it makes it much more difficult to digest when there are this many Platinum tickets held back and long time fans get shut out.  

Love Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder.....but, really miss their 1994 stance and wish they would run Ten Club tickets internally again.

Thanks for reading my post.  

Comments

• rustneversleepsrustneversleeps Posts: 2,209
    edited December 2021
    RT85129 said:
    There were 91 platinum tickets being sold by Ticketmaster as of 9 AM this morning for the second Eddie Vedder show in Chicago.   It's now 85 as I type this.

https://www.ticketmaster.com/eddie-vedder-and-the-earthlings-chicago-illinois-02-10-2022/event/07005B8896652861

As someone who went 0-for-Eddie on two 10 Club attempts and is also not a "verified fan" 2x according to TM.....this really leaves a bad taste in my mouth.   Also never got an email that I was off the waitlist.....amazing that they can gouge fans like this.  "Unprecedented" demand....I'm sure.....but, it makes it much more difficult to digest when there are this many Platinum tickets held back and long time fans get shut out.  

Love Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder.....but, really miss their 1994 stance and wish they would run Ten Club tickets internally again.

before the apologists storm the building, i just wanna say Amen Brother/Sister

at least the 10club winners and "verified fans" who are flipping their tickets on stubhub are listing pretty well below the platinum prices.  but i thought "platinum" was supposed to represent fair market?  well theres hundreds of chicago tickets on stubhub that arent flying off the shelf and theyre alot less than platinum.  maybe ticketmaster has to re-evaluate what the market value is?  
    Post edited by rustneversleeps on
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,126
    Feel for you. There are some legit reasons why things are the way they are, but you are not wrong to feel the way you do. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited December 2021
    RT85129 said:

at least the 10club winners and "verified fans" who are flipping their tickets on stubhub are listing pretty well below the platinum prices.  but i thought "platinum" was supposed to represent fair market?  well theres hundreds of chicago tickets on stubhub that arent flying off the shelf and theyre alot less than platinum.  maybe ticketmaster has to re-evaluate what the market value is?  
    Not defending the practice but there is only 85 tickets left out of 3875. I would say they put it at just about the right price for the market and they will let the remaining tickets keep dropping in price until someone bites.

I really hope this ticket set up does not bleed over onto Pearl Jam tickets. 
  • AP30511AP30511 Posts: 112
    Agreed!  Knowing that Eddie Vedder is allowing this “platinum” ticketing BS to occur for his solo shows is very disheartening. Never thought we’d see this happen. Hopefully the other PJ guys (I.e. Jeff) put their foot down and this platinum ticketing never happens for PJ shows. 
    6/24/98: Rapid City, SD
    10/12/00: Bonner Springs, KS
    4/1/03: Denver, CO
    6/13/03: Council Bluffs, IA
    10/5/04: St Louis, MO
    9/4/05: Calgary, AB
    9/5/05: Edmonton, AB
    6/26 & 6/27/06: St Paul, MN
    8/23 & 8/24/09: Chicago, IL
    5/3/10: Kansas City, MO
    7/1/11: St Louis, MO (EV)
    9/30/12: Missoula, MT
    7/19/13: Chicago, IL
    11/16/13: Oklahoma City, OK
    10/9/14: Lincoln, NE
    10/22/14: Denver, CO
    4/23/16: New Orleans, LA
    8/8 & 8/10/18: Seattle, WA
    2/10/22: Chicago, IL (EV)
    9/22/22: Denver, CO
    9/18 & 9/19/23: Austin, TX
    5/28 & 5/30: Seattle, WA
  • PJNB said:
    RT85129 said:

Not defending the practice but there is only 85 tickets left out of 3875. I would say they put it at just about the right price for the market and they will let the remaining tickets keep dropping in price until someone bites.

i was referring to the platinum prices, the original face i get it. no issue here. platinum prices are supposed to reflect "market value".  but stubhub is lower than platinum. and stubhub has probably 1000 chicago tickets on there and most will be there come february. 

i would expect this going forward, i dont think this is solely a EV thing.  guess we'll see eventually.
  • RT85129RT85129 Posts: 179
    PJNB said:
    RT85129 said:

The 85 represents what is currently available.  It doesn't represent what they have already sold for Platinum.  

If Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder are going to go this route, I'd encourage that they incorporate the Vitalogy Foundation tickets for these prices instead of Platinum.  It makes a lot more sense that those tickets would be going to support causes which Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder than TM profitablity.  

Appreciate everyone's comments - thanks again.  

• ZodZod Posts: 10,521
    I felt the opposite.  I bought a pair for Seattle I.  Had they been part of the fan club sale or verified fan I probably wouldn't simply missed out.   The chances of winning either were pretty slim, so 100 more tickets in those pools probably wouldn't of impacted my odds that much.  Even 200 in the pool wouldn't impact my odds.   With the platinum though, I was able to buy my way in.

So in my brain the choice was go all the way to seattle and only go to night 2, or spend a bunch of money and see night 1 too since I'm going there anyways.

• fall by the waysidefall by the wayside Jericho, VT Posts: 756
    Zod said:
    I felt the opposite.  I bought a pair for Seattle I.  Had they been part of the fan club sale or verified fan I probably wouldn't simply missed out.   The chances of winning either were pretty slim, so 100 more tickets in those pools probably wouldn't of impacted my odds that much.  Even 200 in the pool wouldn't impact my odds.   With the platinum though, I was able to buy my way in.

So in my brain the choice was go all the way to seattle and only go to night 2, or spend a bunch of money and see night 1 too since I'm going there anyways.

I feel the same way. Got shut out of the fan club sale and got waitlisted for verified fan. I really wanted to go, my buddies are going, and I got a nice Christmas bonus this year. This gave me the opportunity to buy in, because I didn’t really have a shot otherwise.
    9/13/98, 10/4/00, 4/29/03, 6/29/03, 7/2/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 9/15/05, 9/16/05, 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 10/30/09, 10/31/09, 5/15/10, 9/11/11, 9/12/11, 10/19/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 10/25/13, 10/27/13, 9/26/15, 4/28/16, 4/29/16, 8/5/16, 8/7/16, 8/13/18, 9/2/18, 9/4/18, 9/26/21, 9/1/22, 9/2/22, 9/14/22, 9/18/23, 9/19/23, 9/7/24, 9/9/24, 9/12/24, 9/15/24, 9/17/24
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    Gouging implies that it's an essential good that people are forced to buy at inflated prices. Pricing a few concert tickets according to the market is not that. They are dynamically priced, so when they sell it does indeed reflect the market rate. There are other band members than EV involved and staff that may have endured financial hardships. The platinum tickets are part of the equation to make it financially feasible to have the tour. That only a small number of tickets currently are platinum seats is a good thing. We're heading for entire venues being market priced, which will put scalpers out of business 
  • Not sure the proceeds from the platinum tix are going to the crew.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    edited December 2021
    Not sure the proceeds from the platinum tix are going to the crew.  
    Indirectly. The platinum tickets belong to the artists, who pay the crew.