Options

Ticketmaster Verified Fan is a joke

Comments

• Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,205
    Sorry Trey Anastasio is no Ed. Or he plays more frequently I don’t know, but I doubt he has a similar following with hundreds posting about his band on a message forum and FB daily.
    LOL this is wildly uninformed. Do a google search and tell me how many Phish online spaces you come across. A lot more than PJ. As a fan of both bands, I can tell you that the comparison is not as absurd as you seem to think. Also, you can rightfully claim that PJ has a broader potential fanbase due to the folks of my generation who remember 10 and nothing else, but those folks aren't going to see Ed solo
    But PJ/EV fans have jobs.😬
    😂😂💀
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Sorry Trey Anastasio is no Ed. Or he plays more frequently I don’t know, but I doubt he has a similar following with hundreds posting about his band on a message forum and FB daily.
    LOL this is wildly uninformed. Do a google search and tell me how many Phish online spaces you come across. A lot more than PJ. As a fan of both bands, I can tell you that the comparison is not as absurd as you seem to think. Also, you can rightfully claim that PJ has a broader potential fanbase due to the folks of my generation who remember 10 and nothing else, but those folks aren't going to see Ed solo
    But PJ/EV fans have jobs.😬
    lol
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    CM189191 said:
    people pissed at TicketMaster over Olivia Rodrigo tix

sounds like they're fans got burned same as us

Verified Fans get waitlisted and couldn't get tix

now they're on resale for $1,000+/each

https://www.ticketnews.com/2021/12/olivia-rodrigo-fans-fume-over-sour-tour-ticketmaster-verified-fan-failures/

This has been going on for years! For many artists across all genres. The great mystery! Why are there no tickets available? In case any attorney general asks, tickets were available at face value. Cant have StubHub capturing revenue that TM should be capturing.  Oh and another thing, if Chris Chelios asks for tickets on February 2nd, he will get them and they will be the best seats in the house. Where do think those tickets are?  What about the CEO of coca-cola or any other sponsor?  TM has been holding back tickets for years! That is why you get nothing or crap seats at top prices in a normal presale.  It's a broken system and it has been for a long time.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,879
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would say that Trey/Phish are pretty much equal to Ed/Pearl Jam.  Mike Watt?  Ugh no.
    I revoke my comment. I have to go now, Mike Watt is at my door with a pizza delivery.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    mcgruff10 said:
    I would say that Trey/Phish are pretty much equal to Ed/Pearl Jam.  Mike Watt?  Ugh no.
     PJ has an estimated net worth of $300M, twice as much as Phish's estimated $200M. 

Twice $200M would be $400M

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    WindowPaineWindowPaine Chicopee, MA Posts: 495
    I get the feeling Ed doesn't have a lot of stipulations with tickets and costs these days. It certainly isn't 1994 anymore.
    he could if he wanted to. money in HIS pocket and not ours is the priority.

it'd be pretty easy for ANY artist to tell a venue "tickets can't be more than $X or i can't make a deal with you to play your venue". he just chooses not to do so. 

as usual, refer to Fugazi's way of doing business...it is always possible. money or music, just need to choose the priority. we all know and see what priority most bands/artists choose. 
    First Show: Springfield, MA 4/6/94
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 715
    edited December 2021
    I get the feeling Ed doesn't have a lot of stipulations with tickets and costs these days. It certainly isn't 1994 anymore.
    he could if he wanted to. money in HIS pocket and not ours is the priority.

it'd be pretty easy for ANY artist to tell a venue "tickets can't be more than $X or i can't make a deal with you to play your venue". he just chooses not to do so. 

as usual, refer to Fugazi's way of doing business...it is always possible. money or music, just need to choose the priority. we all know and see what priority most bands/artists choose. 
    They can absolutely tell the venue to F off. But then where are they going to play?

Its also really easy to leverage price when you control 80% of the venues. That makes it really easy for LN/TM to say we get X and Y (non negotiable). We will pay you Z, which means we need to make this amount gross and then back it out from there. No transfer or resale? That changes the equation. You want fan club tickets to be how much? That changes the equation. Small venues? That really changes the math.   

Fugazi is awesome. They also have been in hiatus for 18 years. This band would have been done a long time ago if they went that route. 
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,319
    Have I liked where the music industry has gone in terms of ticket prices, dynamic pricing, scalpers, and bots?  Not really.

Do I blame bands for trying to maximize the money they make for playing live shows?  Not really.   The only thing that really makes money now is the Live Shows and the plethora of merch you sell at live shows.

I think the other thing with veteran acts now is how long can they keep going.   IE at some point they have to stop touring and need to keep up the lifestyle, so they need to sock it away.   I'm finding it crazy how many musicians are selling their catalogs for big $$'s to music management companies, but I guess it's another way to cash in before you go.

The other hard part is when your a veteran act more of your fans have means than when your a young act.  Your audience ages with you.   Generally means you can get away with charging more.

Even with me the cost of the EV tickets seemed to impact me less than when I was seeing shows on the Binaural tour, FX rate was 1.60 for a us dollars, and I was a broke university student.  

It's definitely sad where the live concern scene has gone, but at the same time, there's only so many years left to see veteran acts.  One day I'll be an old man wish I could go back and see more shows from my favourite bands.
  • Options
    Given2FlyGiven2Fly Seattle Posts: 168
    For everybody who things the EV verified sale was a mess, you didn't do the Olivia Rodrigo one today.. holy crap. Wife and I both were about #20,000 in a queue for a 7,000 seat venue, took 57 minutes to get in and by the time we got in it was either sold out or TM was selling "Official Platinum" GA seats (the whole venue is GA) for $799.00/ea when face was $46. LOL! All for an artist with one album that is 35 minutes long. Hot-damn-mess. Glad I didn't tell my daughter I was trying to get her tickets today.
  • Options
    Given2Fly said:
    For everybody who things the EV verified sale was a mess, you didn't do the Olivia Rodrigo one today.. holy crap. Wife and I both were about #20,000 in a queue for a 7,000 seat venue, took 57 minutes to get in and by the time we got in it was either sold out or TM was selling "Official Platinum" GA seats (the whole venue is GA) for $799.00/ea when face was $46. LOL! All for an artist with one album that is 35 minutes long. Hot-damn-mess. Glad I didn't tell my daughter I was trying to get her tickets today.
    When I saw how much folks like Bad Bunny and The Weekend were charging I was pretty shocked. Even Chili Peppers too! Check out Taylor Swift tickets. Did you see Adele prices for her residency?

Truth is we've been spoiled for 30 years with under market ticket costs. They set a bar which now leads to a no win situation.  

I certainly remember the days of camping out for tix. Being 2nd in line and not getting tickets. I also remember the days of logging onto TM. Putting in for two best available and it selling out in seconds, getting nothing. While VF certainly isn't perfect, its a guarantee that it will continue to evolve. Read the instructions. Put in the work. I see a lot of user error out there.  
  • Options
    I don't understand why the Eddie Vedder shows were not just 10 Club only.  If he wants $800 for the seats I don't really care just let the people who have been paying for the fan club for years and years have first dibs.  What is the benefit to having TM Verified or a public onsale when you have over 100.000 fans paying you an annual fee to have a chance at tickets.  I'm not too salty about it, 10 Club has hooked me up dozens of times and I've only been shut out of a couple PJ shows that I really wanted to go to.  I just don't understand the thought process behind the decision.

I did get Olivia Rodrigo verified today.  My daughter asked for one ticket for her birthday and that's all she wanted.  Took 50 minutes to get through the queue and couldn't even get platinum level seats.  Cheapest tickets on aftermarket started at $700.
  • Options
    Duster72 said:
    I don't understand why the Eddie Vedder shows were not just 10 Club only.  If he wants $800 for the seats I don't really care just let the people who have been paying for the fan club for years and years have first dibs.  What is the benefit to having TM Verified or a public onsale when you have over 100.000 fans paying you an annual fee to have a chance at tickets.  I'm not too salty about it, 10 Club has hooked me up dozens of times and I've only been shut out of a couple PJ shows that I really wanted to go to.  I just don't understand the thought process behind the decision.

I did get Olivia Rodrigo verified today.  My daughter asked for one ticket for her birthday and that's all she wanted.  Took 50 minutes to get through the queue and couldn't even get platinum level seats.  Cheapest tickets on aftermarket started at $700.

Because TM will not allow it and they have all the venues locked up with exclusive agreements. Yes the tickets are expensive, but at least we have SOME access. What happened with Olivia Rodrigo happens with artists ALL THE TIME. To the point that trying to get tix through TM is a total joke.  
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021
    Duster72 said:

Not sure TM would go for that.

then your back to the TM fight PJ lost once already and touring alternative venues which was by most accounts a disaster. No idea personally as I didn’t go to any of those shows 

I think because he is a big name people assume he has more leverage than he probably does. 
  • Options
    Duster72 said:

then your back to the TM fight PJ lost once already and touring alternative venues which was by most accounts a disaster. No idea personally as I didn’t go to any of those shows 

I think because he is a big name people assume he has more leverage than he probably does. 

And that was 25+ years ago. So much has changed, including the music, concert, and ticket businesses.
  • Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021
    Get_Right said:
    Duster72 said:

And that was 25+ years ago. So much has changed, including the music, concert, and ticket businesses.
    Right. It’s probably worse now. If you couldn’t win then you can’t win now.

its TM or nothing. I highly doubt TM bends over backwards for pretty much anyone. There are all kinds of musicians who would happily take the venue instead if Ed or whoever said I don’t agree to those terms  

the biggest change I’ve seen is TM eliminating the need for ticket brokers.  That’s in house now. There use to be an entire industry doing exactly what platinum seats are
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    Get_Right said:
    Duster72 said:

Right. It’s probably worse now. If you couldn’t win then you can’t win now.

its TM or nothing. I highly doubt TM bends over backwards for pretty much anyone. There are all kinds of musicians who would happily take the venue instead if Ed or whoever said I don’t agree to those terms  

the biggest change I’ve seen is TM eliminating the need for ticket brokers.  That’s in house now. There use to be an entire industry doing exactly what platinum seats are

Exactly right.  TM does not want StubHub or any other reseller making money off TM tickets. And there is probably a very precise algorithm that knows exactly how to price tickets, at face value, platinum, and verified ticket resale prices. Say hello to $250 EV tickets. 
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I looked at the net worth of each band too; there's a wider gap between the bands than there is the two front men... according to google PJ has an estimated net worth of $300M, twice as much as Phish's estimated $200M. 

(if what I'm seeing on google is correct)
    Phish sells out shows everywhere and charges way less for tickets.  I mean they played a bakers dozen of sold out shows at msg, pj couldn't sell out four nights at the spectrum. (night one was not sold out).
    I don't really care for phish but did think about going a few years back with a friend because the cost of a ticket wasn't bad at all. People need to come to the realization ed/pearl jam want to make a certain amount for each event they play. He doesn't care if it excludes lower income fans or not. To be clear. I'm not saying he's right or wrong for doing so.
  • Options
    smile6680 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I looked at the net worth of each band too; there's a wider gap between the bands than there is the two front men... according to google PJ has an estimated net worth of $300M, twice as much as Phish's estimated $200M. 

Phish sells out shows everywhere and charges way less for tickets.  I mean they played a bakers dozen of sold out shows at msg, pj couldn't sell out four nights at the spectrum. (night one was not sold out).
    I don't really care for phish but did think about going a few years back with a friend because the cost of a ticket wasn't bad at all. People need to come to the realization ed/pearl jam want to make a certain amount for each event they play. He doesn't care if it excludes lower income fans or not. To be clear. I'm not saying he's right or wrong for doing so.

I think it is less about that, and more about other people making money off of his performance. But that is just a guess.
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,470
    JimmyV said:
    Sorry, Phish has a huge following. Trey is the front man and these tickets are for one of his side projects. Not my thing or my band, but it is fiction to claim these two things are not similar. 
    Yes they have a following but you can't compare Trey to Eddie. And Trey/Phish tour constantly.
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    mcgruff10 said:
     PJ has an estimated net worth of $300M, twice as much as Phish's estimated $200M. 

Twice $200M would be $400M

Haha, me not smart. I meant to say they were worth 50% more than Phish. 
  • Options
    Get_Right said:
    smile6680 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:

I think it is less about that, and more about other people making money off of his performance. But that is just a guess.
    Yeah. It's hard to tell. Either way it excludes a segment of the fan base. The whole ticket process has become a large pain in the a$$.
  • Options
    BF25394BF25394 Posts: 3,459
    igotid88 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Sorry, Phish has a huge following. Trey is the front man and these tickets are for one of his side projects. Not my thing or my band, but it is fiction to claim these two things are not similar. 
    Yes they have a following but you can't compare Trey to Eddie. And Trey/Phish tour constantly.
    I might be the only person who fits into this category, but I am a huge Pearl Jam fan who eagerly awaits their new music, and who travels far and wide to see them play live, and yet my reaction when there's an Eddie solo record or show is basically, "Meh."  I've got tickets for multiple upcoming Pearl Jam shows that are 400 miles away from where I live, but I didn't even try to get tickets to the Ed solo show in my city.
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • Options
    BF25394 said:
    my reaction when there's an Eddie solo record or show is basically, "Meh."  I've got tickets for multiple upcoming Pearl Jam shows
    Me too.  Didn't try for tix for EV and friends.  I'm satisfied with the great seats I have for 5 upcoming PJ shows, all at reasonable prices.
    I've seen quite a few Pearl Jam shows.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,205
    I know I’m beating a dead horse but fuck Ticketmaster. $5 venue fee for the Lincoln center. I know they have private funding but still.

DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,181
    edited December 2021
    Get_Right said:

Oh and another thing, if Chris Chelios asks for tickets on February 2nd, he will get them and they will be the best seats in the house.
    I remember him showing up for the show in 2008 with the Stanley Cup, many conflicting feelings at that moment as a Blackhawks fan.
    Btw, am I alone in not knowing who this Olivia Rodrigo is?
    Post edited by mattcoz on
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,948
    igotid88 said:
    JimmyV said:
    Yes you can. Quite accurately. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Even at this point, do I need to be verified to purchase a ticket? Say one ticket pops up randomly?
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    Even at this point, do I need to be verified to purchase a ticket? Say one ticket pops up randomly?
    Depends on the ticket type
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,471

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,848
    on2legs said:

Lol