Options

Ticketmaster Verified Fan is a joke

How can it be possible for Ticketmaster to not have a general public sale for Ed's Seattle Benaroya Hall show and yet charge $500 for a single ticket on the third tier?  I don't get how this could possibly happen. I'm 100 percent positive Ed wouldn't go for this bullshit.  How can they sell a ticket for three times face value?  This was not the secondary market.  This was Ticketmaster Verified Fan Platinum tickets.  

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited December 2021
    Have you considered the venue fee/artist fee, and all the costs associated is “x” amount.
    Ticket revenue  need to be “y” amount in total 

ten club holds back a lot of tickets and sells them below what the average ticket price needs to be. Platinum seats covers that gap and then some 

platinum seats may very well be subsidising the cost of the 10 club allotment. Giving so many to the fan club no doubt costs them money in lower revenue. Due to how many seats the 10 club wants they may have little control over what TM does with their share 

Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    NB1996 said:
      I'm 100 percent positive Ed wouldn't go for this bullshit.    
    Ticketmaster doesn't do this without that artist signing off on it.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    dmbolpdmbolp ATL Posts: 1,189
    NB1996 said:
    How can it be possible for Ticketmaster to not have a general public sale for Ed's Seattle Benaroya Hall show and yet charge $500 for a single ticket on the third tier?  I don't get how this could possibly happen. I'm 100 percent positive Ed wouldn't go for this bullshit.  How can they sell a ticket for three times face value?  This was not the secondary market.  This was Ticketmaster Verified Fan Platinum tickets.  
    Because there's only like 2,500 seats and over 10,000 people willing to pay $500
  • Options
    evenflow82evenflow82 Posts: 3,853
    I get the feeling Ed doesn't have a lot of stipulations with tickets and costs these days. It certainly isn't 1994 anymore.
    I've got a fever, and the only prescription is more cowbell.
    -Christopher Walken

you're=you are
    your=showing ownership

The truth has a well known liberal bias.
    -Stephen Colbert
  • Options
    It is very disgusting. If you haven't figured it out yet verified are the worst tickets available, or super expensive ones. just gross. People will still cling to excuses, but it is very sad the changes in values of certain band members.
  • Options
    EddieredderEddieredder Posts: 715
    edited December 2021
    Important distinction. Verified fan and Platinum tickets are two different buckets. I could be wrong here, but the Platinum tickets feel like the Live Nation/Venue/Ticketmaster allottment of tickets. Verified fan is basically the new public sale. Its sold as the way to combat scalpers and bots. But at the same time the scalpers are now in house at TM. 

True the artist does have to sign off on this. But do they have a choice when the promoter (Live Nation) and the ticket distributor (Ticketmaster) are the same? Remember between the two they control 80% of venues. Its pretty easy to leverage. 

But in general this article sums it up pretty well. I'd assume there were probably only like 375 tickets available (15%) for verified ticket sale. 

https://www.theringer.com/2016/6/3/16045790/ticket-industry-problem-solution-e4b3b71fdff6#.hh4d9z77a
    Post edited by Eddieredder on
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    I just saw Mike Watt is playing a show. $15 a ticket. Sometimes big rockers just get too complicated. nnnnnnn nn naaahhhnaaa nnnnNobody's fault but mine.
  • Options
    Groda03Groda03 Posts: 140
    I feel super fortunate to have won the lottery.   I have missed on past shows.  I'm happy.  Hope everyone has a great night.  
  • Options
    I get the feeling Ed doesn't have a lot of stipulations with tickets and costs these days. It certainly isn't 1994 anymore.
    I miss the old days.
  • Options
    GS163319GS163319 Posts: 130
    Loujoe said:
    I just saw Mike Watt is playing a show. $15 a ticket. Sometimes big rockers just get too complicated. nnnnnnn nn naaahhhnaaa nnnnNobody's fault but mine.
    Sure, comparing the demand (or really, anything else) for Mike Watt and one of the bigger rock stars of the last 30 years makes sense.
  • Options
    pawlowski1097pawlowski1097 Philadelphia, PA Posts: 571
    They were off for 3 years, making up for lost time I guess 
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,207
    I miss the old days.
    $1.50 parking!

Those tickets were also tough to get.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    This ticket cost me a reasonable $60 at the Iconic Troubadour. I wish The Earthlings would have booked this venue.
  • Options
    KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    I pretty much guarantee that he could have stood up to Live Nation in negotiations for the tour and said “I am willing to take X amount less on my tour guarantee if you just don’t do Platinum pricing on my fanbase”.
  • Options
    patkelly12patkelly12 CT Posts: 348
    KL159781 said:
    I pretty much guarantee that he could have stood up to Live Nation in negotiations for the tour and said “I am willing to take X amount less on my tour guarantee if you just don’t do Platinum pricing on my fanbase”.

He absolutely could have but the cucks don't want to hear it. I have seen Platinum pricing for years but the prices today were borderline embarrassing. $900+ for a freaking seat. Even those novelty acts that the cucks like to bash would blush at those prices.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    KL159781 said:

He absolutely could have but the cucks don't want to hear it. I have seen Platinum pricing for years but the prices today were borderline embarrassing. $900+ for a freaking seat. Even those novelty acts that the cucks like to bash would blush at those prices.
    Would be interesting to know the number? Is it $1 mm a show? $500k? How much does LN/TM need to make? Now divide that by the limited number of seats minus the sunk tickets......minus the no resale profits. Now recalculate based on X number of tickets at below market fan club pricing......

Feels to me like Platinum pricing is the subsidizer. 
  • Options
    NB1996 said:
    Of course, Ed is going along willingly with it. The artist has the final say. Basically, the promoters are all requiring the use of platinum tickets to hedge against high artist guarantees.  
  • Options
    KL159781 said:

$900 platinum seats is nothing unusual these days for any of the major legacy rock artists. Very often the best seats go for even more. The Stones had platinum tickets $2500 and above everywhere. 
  • Options
    Luckytwn1 said:
    KL159781 said:

$900 platinum seats is nothing unusual these days for any of the major legacy rock artists. Very often the best seats go for even more. The Stones had platinum tickets $2500 and above everywhere. 
    How big a factor do you think Platinum tickets will be for Springsteen next year? I know they were only tried out sparingly in 2016.
  • Options
    I filtered out the Platinum tix. Got in about 5 mins past. How many would you estimate you saw available? Was it 100? 200? 500? Just curious.
  • Options
    teskeincteskeinc Posts: 836
    Vedders management makes the call on it. Guessing it was to break even tix need to be X $$$. We can keep 10 club under $200/ticket but need to sell X amount dynamic pricing. Verified fan will keep a good portion away. Something to that nature. Small venues it’s gonna be tough to keep prices down.
    1994 : Memphis 1995 : New Orleans 1996 : Seattle
    1998 : St Louis, Birmingham, Knoxville
    2000 : Memphis, Nashville, St Louis
    2003 : Irvine 1+2, Vegas, Bridge School 1+2, Santa Barbara
    2005 : Missoula, Vancouver, Gorge 2006 : LA 1+2, Vegas
    2008 : W Palm Beach, Tampa, Who Rock Honors, EV LA 2
    2009 : LA 1, LA 4, EV 1 Nashville 2011 : EV Long Beach
    2012: EV Vegas 1+2
    2013 LA 1+2 2018 Prague, Wrigley 2
    2020 Phoenix, SD

• Options
    I wasn’t Verified but I looked into the 4 West Coast once it was only Platinums remaining and available to everyone. At one point I saw El Cajon with only a single pair available. I checked back 2 minutes later and they had dropped 20 Platinums into the system.

there are currently a fair amount of Inglewood Platinums available right now, most of them priced from $280-380. It’s kind of what I expected for the LA market, that the demand wouldn’t be so crazy, due to the Ohana shows so recently.
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,321
    NB1996 said:

Platinum and Verified Fan are two separate things.   They are not the same.  Verified Fan is a vetting process TM uses for public onsales that try to screen out bots/scalpers.  They aren't 100% successful but I guess they help.  Platinum tickets are a different beast.  Rather than artists selling tickets below market value, they attempt to earn the market value.  For decades artists sold tickets below market value and scalpers earned all that sweet cash between the ticket cost and what it was actually worth.  TM developed a system to gauge demand and sell those tickets for what people will pay.

Verified Fan was the public onsale.

Platinum happened to start at the same time and cause some confusion.
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    To me, the Verified Fan program is a disservice to fans and not that successful in what it supposedly designed to do, which is cut down on resale of tickets for profit. 

If you use Stubhub as a gauge, usually around 15-20% of a venue’s capacity end up there. That’s a combination of scalpers, fans who got stuck with tickets they can’t use, and as I have seen, sometimes promoters selling their own tickets there instead of only relying on Ticketmaster.

for these NY and Chicago Vedder shows, when I looked at Stubhub earlier today, each show had 250-300 tickets listed, just hours after the public sale. You’re looking at roughly 8-10% of the total tickets already listed for resale. This is with Verified Fan in place limiting who can buy and with Ten Club taking a large amount of tickets for their use. If there were no fan club tickets, it would be easy to project that probably 15%+ of total tickets would end up for resale. That hardly makes Verified Fan look like any type of success.

We’ve all complained about past ticket sales where servers crashed or we ended up getting nothing, but to me, I at least want to feel I had a chance to try. Verified Fan immediately takes a large amount of fans out of the equation, which in it’s own way fuels the resale market.

I have signed up for over 20 previous Verified Fan presales in the past and have never got past Waitlist. I was even amongst 2,000 U2 fan club members who in 2018 was automatically sent my presale code that was included with membership and had it taken away 3 hours later, due to some Ticketmaster screwup.

I have resold tickets on Ticketmaster a few times in the past for shows I was unable to make it to. If you want to make back what you paid, you have to increase your asking price to cover the original Ticketmaster fees, plus the fees they charge you on reselling through their site. My theory is that has caused me to be blackballed as a scalper, something a friend of a friend that works for Ticketmaster said was true.
    Post edited by KL159781 on
  • Options
    edited December 2021
    KL159781 said:
    To me, the Verified Fan program is a disservice to fans and not that successful in what it supposedly designed to do, which is cut down on resale of tickets for profit. 

If you use Stubhub as a gauge, usually around 15-20% of a venue’s capacity end up there. That’s a combination of scalpers, fans who got stuck with tickets they can’t use, and as I have seen, sometimes promoters selling their own tickets there instead of only relying on Ticketmaster.

for these NY and Chicago Vedder shows, when I looked at Stubhub earlier today, each show had 250-300 tickets listed, just hours after the public sale. You’re looking at roughly 8-10% of the total tickets already listed for resale. This is with Verified Fan in place limiting who can buy and with Ten Club taking a large amount of tickets for their use. If there were no fan club tickets, it would be easy to project that probably 15%+ of total tickets would end up for resale. That hardly makes Verified Fan look like any type of success.

We’ve all complained about past ticket sales where servers crashed or we ended up getting nothing, but to me, I at least want to feel I had a chance to try. Verified Fan immediately takes a large amount of fans out of the equation, which in it’s own way fuels the resale market.

I have signed up for over 20 previous Verified Fan presales in the past and have never got past Waitlist. I was even amongst 2,000 U2 fan club members who in 2018 was automatically sent my presale code that was included with membership and had it taken away 3 hours later, due to some Ticketmaster screwup.

I have resold tickets on Ticketmaster a few times in the past for shows I was unable to make it to. If you want to make back what you paid, you have to increase your asking price to cover the original Ticketmaster fees, plus the fees they charge you on reselling through their site. My theory is that has caused me to be blackballed as a scalper, something a friend of a friend that works for Ticketmaster said was true.
    Verified Fan's #1 goal is to stop the bots by adding extra steps/PWs. Its not necessarily to limit resale.

They could shutdown resale whenever they want. But they don't want that at all for obvious reasons. NY and Chi are the only shows being resold due to their state laws on transfers. 

I've had a very different experience than you. I've never not been given Verified Fan access. I've never resold concert tickets. I sell my sports season tickets all the time. 

Today I got in to the sale about 5 after for Benaroya today. I was able to see tickets and try to acquire them albeit unsuccessfully. 

Back in the day if you wouldn't have even seen tickets that late. Everything would have been sold to people/bots within minutes. That feels like progress to me, but I completely understand the frustrations of others.  

• Options
    quasiquasi Posts: 492
    jh275312 said:
    It is very disgusting. If you haven't figured it out yet verified are the worst tickets available, or super expensive ones. just gross. People will still cling to excuses, but it is very sad the changes in values of certain band members.
    I was selected as a verified fan, logged in a few minutes before ten, waited one minute for the queue and got a second row ticket in the first balcony for $179. That is a pretty good seat and definitely not a "worst ticket available".
    SEA 9/20/92, SEA 12/7/93, SEA 12/31/94 (MS), SEA 11/5/00, SEA 11/6/00, SEA 12/8/02, SEA 12/9/02, BEN 10/22/03, GOR 9/1/05, SD 7/7/06, LA 7/10/06, LA 7/12/06, LA (EV) 4/12/08, LA (EV) 4/13/08, LA 7/12/08, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/7/09, SEA 12/6/13, SEA 8/8/18
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    "Ed, we can give you an allotment for a 10c sale, and we can sell at face value to 10c only in a verified fan sale. That accounts for 15% of the tickets and that is more than than we give to any other artist.  We get to sell the remaining tickets any way we like."

Pretty sure that is how it goes down.  Compromises to ensure that the 10C gets an allotment of the best seats.  It's not complicated, and yes, not great for the consumer if you can't get a 10c ticket.  TM/LN have a monopoly and its been rigged for some time, I am still amazed that the DOJ allowed that merger to happen.
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,880
    GS163319 said:
    Loujoe said:
    Sure, comparing the demand (or really, anything else) for Mike Watt and one of the bigger rock stars of the last 30 years makes sense.
    yep. I rarely make sense.
    Hope ev continues to make a good living off his talent and people who go will have a blast. 
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,955
    Loujoe said:
    GS163319 said:
    Loujoe said:
    yep. I rarely make sense.
    Hope ev continues to make a good living off his talent and people who go will have a blast. 
    I made the comparison of Ed to Trey Anastasio a few days ago. Apples to apples and Ed doesn't come off looking good, price wise. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,207
    edited December 2021
    Post edited by OceansJenny on
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22