Options

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: BEST SCARY MOVIE - FINALS

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
With this 'WEAKEST LINK' I decided to start on Halloween a "Scary Movie" theme and have you guys decide on the BEST SCARY MOVIE. I understand that many great scary / horror / thriller films, I just picked some of my favorites that came to mind. Most of the ones that came to mind are older, although I did throw in one fairly recent one. I wish our polls allowed for more than 10 choices. If you haven't seen all these take today to binge as many as you can. So, pick the film that you think is the WEAKEST LINK from the ones provided.
Again, thanks to everyone who plays.

Now to the FINALS to determine the BEST SCARY MOVIE from the list provided.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the movie with the most votes. We will then crown our CHAMPION.

Psycho (1960) - Eliminated Round 4
The Exorcist (1973)
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) - Eliminated Round 3
The Hills Have Eyes (1977) - Eliminated Round 1
Halloween (1978)
Dawn of the Dead (1978) - Eliminated Round 2
Alien (1979) - Eliminated Round 4
The Thing (1982) - Eliminated Round 2
A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) - Eliminated Round 3
The Conjuring (2013) - Eliminated Round 1

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: BEST SCARY MOVIE - FINALS 21 votes

The Exorcist (1973)
28%
mfc2006HesCalledDyerPapPJ_SoulJojoRiceMatts3221 6 votes
Halloween (1978
71%
hedonistPoncierLedbetterman10Spiritual_ChaoscutztbergsdankindGern BlansteneeriepadaveF Me In The BrainHobbestempo_n_grooveOffSheGoes35bbiggsWest Coast Dreamgirl 15 votes

Comments

• Options
    JojoRiceJojoRice Kennesaw, GA Posts: 3,931
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Halloween is a top 5 movie for me.  Can't vote against it!
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Halloween (1978
    For me, The Exorcist was the scariest from this list.  (Certainly when first viewing I was horrified by it.)
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Halloween (1978
    For me, The Exorcist was the scariest from this list.  (Certainly when first viewing I was horrified by it.)
    Yup. And based on talk of it here, I’m partway through watching Exorcist III. Can’t go wrong with George. 
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Halloween (1978
    Love Halloween but....
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Halloween (1978
    hedonist said:
    Yup. And based on talk of it here, I’m partway through watching Exorcist III. Can’t go wrong with George. 

This may be a scarier movie, if I were to watch them both now.
    George was great.
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited November 2021
    Halloween (1978
    Exorcist is a pretty much perfect classy upperclass drama featuring Christianity gone wrong. See also Omen and Rosemary's baby.

Halloween still has some wobbliness to it, due to it's budget and acting etc.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Halloween (1978
    Omen👍

Rosemary's Baby👎
    Wanted to like it, but never did.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,880
    Halloween (1978
    Exorcist scared the living shot out of me when I first saw it and I have yet to watch it since
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited November 2021
    Halloween (1978
    Omen👍

Rosemary's Baby👎

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Halloween (1978
    I felt from the beginning that it was inevitable that The Exorcist would win…as it should. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Halloween really freaked me out. I think I watched it when I was pretty young.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,720
    Not really a fan of either so I won't spoil the vote, but again, thanks to our host for doing it.  Good job, MedozK !
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Halloween (1978
    dankind said:
    Omen👍

Rosemary's Baby👎

Pretty much. Get some rest man.
  • Options
    Halloween (1978
    mfc2006 said:
    Halloween really freaked me out. I think I watched it when I was pretty young.
    The scariest part of Halloween is the intro. The rest is pretty standard slasher fare. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,539
    The Exorcist (1973)
    I voted wrong. I meant to pick Halloween.

I'm disappointed with the finalists though. Halloween shouldn't be there IMO.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    Halloween (1978

I think The Exorcist is going to win.

• Options
    Halloween (1978

Why wasn’t Omen, Rosemary’s baby, Scream, Child’s play, Hellraiser, Poltergeist, Let the right one in, KISS meets the Phantom of the Park in the running

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Halloween (1978
    Hellraiser would have been a good one, for me.
    There are so many to choose from - tough to get down to a manageable number, I am sure.
  • Options
    The Exorcist (1973)
    Poltergeist for sure should have been in there... I also would have picked The Changeling!
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited November 2021
    Halloween (1978

Why wasn’t Omen, Rosemary’s baby, Scream, Child’s play, Hellraiser, Poltergeist, Let the right one in, KISS meets the Phantom of the Park in the running

You never know, MedozK might do another round of scary movies next Halloween. What did you think of Candyman(1992) the first time you watched it? It was scary to me.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    Halloween (1978

You never know, MedozK might do another round of scary movies next Halloween. What did you think of Candyman(1992) the first time you watched it? It was scary to me the first time I watched it.

My wife gets upset every time I look into a mirror and say Candyman, Candyman, Candyman.
    This was a pretty consistent thing for a number of years when we would check into hotels.
    :lol:      I loved that movie.

• Options
    Halloween (1978

You never know, MedozK might do another round of scary movies next Halloween. What did you think of Candyman(1992) the first time you watched it? It was scary to me the first time I watched it.

My wife gets upset every time I look into a mirror and say Candyman, Candyman, Candyman.
    This was a pretty consistent thing for a number of years when we would check into hotels.
    :lol:      I loved that movie.

That's so mean! :lol:
  • Options
    Halloween (1978

You never know, MedozK might do another round of scary movies next Halloween. What did you think of Candyman(1992) the first time you watched it? It was scary to me.
    I don't remember it. The same kid who had Child's play recorded on VHS had it. So I watched it once or twice. But don't remember much. Should re-watch!
  • Options
    Halloween (1978

I don't remember it. The same kid who had Child's play recorded on VHS had it. So I watched it once or twice. But don't remember much. Should re-watch!

Hopefully, it's still streaming on Netflix-- I want to re-watch it too. Let's see how it has aged. 
  • Options
    Halloween (1978

Hopefully, it's still streaming on Netflix-- I want to re-watch it too. Let's see how it has aged. 
    Not in the kingdom Sweden. 

But I can rent it. 

Maybe I should re-watch it and watch the remake that came out this year... but a friend said it was bad and that I would hate it.
  • Options
    edited November 2021
    Halloween (1978
    I guess I just don't scare easily from films. 

Alien was the scariest one out of the bunch for me. Perhaps because hostile extraterrestrial life seems more plausible to me than anything religious.

The Descent scared me when I first watched it, too.

Both of those are also pretty claustrophobic films.

I remember finding the idea behind A Nightmare on Elm Street terrifying when it came out, but the execution is just too damn silly to actually cause fear.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,013
    edited November 2021
    Halloween (1978
    Yeah. The idea behind Elm Street is great and I think they succeed in tapping into the potential in some of the "is this a dream or not?" scenes in the first film. That disappeared when it all more turned into the Freddy Krueger amusement park of fantastical rollercoaster of dreams.

I find Amityville Horror scary. 

And obviously RINGU shouldn have been included. That one is genuinely scary. 

Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    Halloween (1978
    Those would also require me to believe in something I don't -- namely, ghosts/demons -- in order to truly scare me.

It's weird, though, because horror is one of my favorite genres. Perhaps because I'm so detached from most of the ludicrous plots that I can focus more on the execution.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The Exorcist (1973)

Not in the kingdom Sweden. 

But I can rent it. 

Maybe I should re-watch it and watch the remake that came out this year... but a friend said it was bad and that I would hate it.

It's not actually a remake. It's a sequel. I've heard good things about it myself, but who knows! I am pretty meh on the first one, and I just rewatched that last week.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Halloween (1978
    I loved Alien. Sigourney AND the cat?! Plus Mr. Kotto. 

Yeah, DK, I liked its plausibility too. Well done overall.