I Made a Top 50 Songs List 12 Years Ago, Then Again 8 Years Ago. Where Do I Stand Now?

This was a fun exercise. I found a few old Facebook posts where I listed what was at that point in time my top 50 favorite (or “best”) songs in that moment. I did it before seeing them in 2009 and then again during the LBolt tour in 2013. Taste had completely changed in that timespan, but now we’re 8 years later and in some aspects, my taste has changed severely yet again. So of course, I made an updated list  

Since writing and operating a PJ fan/database website is what I do, I wrote about it on the platform. Give it a read if you feel necessary and then maybe share some songs that were at the top of your list a decade ago that aren’t there anymore and vice versa

https://liveon4legs.com/blog/2021/10/28/revisiting-top-50-pearl-jam-songs/?fbclid=IwAR3qw5KtrVIs46CH2YJ5kC5S4RaGS_14RZFN3VVyHohJkLGKA_5vxOGlYA0
Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com

Comments

• This was a fun exercise. I found a few old Facebook posts where I listed what was at that point in time my top 50 favorite (or “best”) songs in that moment. I did it before seeing them in 2009 and then again during the LBolt tour in 2013. Taste had completely changed in that timespan, but now we’re 8 years later and in some aspects, my taste has changed severely yet again. So of course, I made an updated list  

Since writing and operating a PJ fan/database website is what I do, I wrote about it on the platform. Give it a read if you feel necessary and then maybe share some songs that were at the top of your list a decade ago that aren’t there anymore and vice versa

https://liveon4legs.com/blog/2021/10/28/revisiting-top-50-pearl-jam-songs/?fbclid=IwAR3qw5KtrVIs46CH2YJ5kC5S4RaGS_14RZFN3VVyHohJkLGKA_5vxOGlYA0
    Lukin should never be cut from any list, ever...

I like the chronology on your change in taste.  Looks like you mellowed more?
  • This was a fun exercise. I found a few old Facebook posts where I listed what was at that point in time my top 50 favorite (or “best”) songs in that moment. I did it before seeing them in 2009 and then again during the LBolt tour in 2013. Taste had completely changed in that timespan, but now we’re 8 years later and in some aspects, my taste has changed severely yet again. So of course, I made an updated list  

Lukin should never be cut from any list, ever...

I like the chronology on your change in taste.  Looks like you mellowed more?
    I’m not sure about mellowed more, I guess by proxy I did. Lyrical content became more important to me than performance. Don’t get me wrong, both are extremely important, I think I am just able to see the value in soaring type Pearl Jam songs like Light Years and Inside Job that I never really caught on to a decade ago. Age helps with that
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

• Lukin is one of those songs that over time ive lost love for. Slow lukin then yes please
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Well, you can attach live lukin to not for you like untitled/mfc.  

Problem solved. 

Thank you matt lukin for that awesome kitchen where we can safely drink beers/smoke pot and be safe from society. 

• Lukin is one of those songs that over time ive lost love for. Slow lukin then yes please
    When it’s being played as a speed drill and Ed is incoherently shouting GADADDADADADA DADA DADA DA… yeah, loses a bit of luster. 

• Its a hardcore song. Its suppose to blistering. It represents pjs punk roots and is the only song of its kind in pjs catalog. Its a must for the top 50 in my eyes. Slow lukin is terrible. 
  • Foriginal SinForiginal Sin Posts: 1,770
    edited October 2021
    There is nothing wrong with liking the hits. We are such a fucked up group. PJ can play a hits only show and it may go down as the best ever. I hope they do someday at one of my future shows. Such a picky group of people. I would enjoy every single moment of a 3.5 hour marathon of hits. Why wouldn’t you? You hate singing? You like knowing a song some rando doesn’t? Hate to break it to you, that rando pays the bands bills. And why are hits bad? It’s how you found the band to begin with for fucks sake
    Post edited by Foriginal Sin on
    Chicago 6/29/98, Alpine Valley(EV) 6/13/99, Alpine Valley 10/08/00, Chicago 10/09/00, Phoenix 10/20/00, Orlando 4/12/03, Tampa 4/13/03, San Diego 6/05/03, Vegas 6/06/03, Phoenix 6/07/03, Chicago 6/18/03, Alpine Valley 6/21/03, Orlando 10/08/04, D.C. 10/11/04, Chicago 5/16/06, Chicago 5/17/06, LA 7/12/08, Chicago 8/23/09, Chicago 8/24/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09 (Front Row Center, Finally), Phoenix(EV) 11/4/11, Wrigley 7/19/13, Phoenix 11/19/13, Denver 10/22/14, Wrigley 8/20/16, Wrigley 8/22/16
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    edited October 2021
    Love Lukin going into Not For You. One of my favourite song transitions. 
    Post edited by PJNB on
  • There is nothing wrong with liking the hits. We are such a fucked up group. PJ can play a hits only show and it may go down as the best ever. I hope they do someday at one of my future shows. Such a picky group of people. I would enjoy every single moment of a 3.5 hour marathon of hits. Why wouldn’t you? You hate singing? You like knowing a song some rando doesn’t? Hate to break it to you, that rando pays the bands bills. And why are hits bad? It’s how you found the band to begin with for fucks sake
    Take it down maybe a notch or two. Why someone’s take offends you this much probably isn’t healthy

• There is nothing wrong with liking the hits. We are such a fucked up group. PJ can play a hits only show and it may go down as the best ever. I hope they do someday at one of my future shows. Such a picky group of people. I would enjoy every single moment of a 3.5 hour marathon of hits. Why wouldn’t you? You hate singing? You like knowing a song some rando doesn’t? Hate to break it to you, that rando pays the bands bills. And why are hits bad? It’s how you found the band to begin with for fucks sake
    Take it down maybe a notch or two. Why someone’s take offends you this much probably isn’t healthy
    Agreed. Why the anger. We can discuss  songs surely on a pj forum?
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Yeah, at first I laughed but you are right....if something so insignificant makes someone spaz out like this I feel concerned for the person's well being.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Theres nothing wrong with being bored with some of the hits.  I really dont care about hearing betterman or alive. Conversely, I can always hear corduroy. Its different for everyone. No need to get adversarial. 
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,261
    I would enjoy every single moment of a 3.5 hour marathon of hits.
    +1