Shut out again

I dearly love this band (over 100 shows, multiple continents) , but it is so much work to be their fan! I was at both Ohana weekends and tried for artist drops, and STILL did not get the posters I wanted. (1 each of van, tiki, Ames. Esp Williams tiki). You literally can't take a bathroom break or you miss a sale. Very discouraging.

Comments

• musicsam3musicsam3 Posts: 233
    All you have to do to be a fan is listen to their wonderful music...no work whatsoever.

You're talking about something different. Stuff...
  • Jumb0Jumb0 Posts: 910
    musicsam3 said:
    All you have to do to be a fan is listen to their wonderful music...no work whatsoever.

You're talking about something different. Stuff...

this
  • Yes, just stuff in this case. And true, sitting at home enjoying the music is no work at all! If you are not content with that and want the live experience of the music (if you want to be close enough to actually GET the live experience) it is always alot of work. Absolutely worth it, but no mistake- alot of work.
  • Sorry, I meant to post this under the psst thread about the poster drop, where people are expressing their joy or frustration on the results of today's sale. This was not a general reflection, but specific to the sale today, which IS about stuff.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,481
    This topic is very informative.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Other people want “stuff” too, & it may mean you miss out on stuff occasionally shocker. Who’d have thunk it 🤔
    Wembley Arena, London - 28/10/96
    Wembley Arena, London - 30/05/00 
    Wembley Arena, London - 18/06/07
    02 Arena, London - 18/08/09
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 30/07/12 EV Solo
    Bowl, Milton Keynes - 11/07/2014
    Hammersmith Apollo, London - 06/06/17 EV Solo
    O2 Arena, London - 18/06/18
    O2 Arena, London - 17/07/18

It's an art to live with pain, mix the light into grey...
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I'm not a big merch person, but the OP has a point because there is no doubt that there is no enforcement of rules when it comes to posters.  I don't know if there were rules limiting the number of posters per person at Ohana, but I do know at shows I've attended where there were limits; they were not enforced and that can give a loyal fan a bad taste in their mouth.

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Anybody who helps the OP get their poster gets some PJ stuff from me. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • apirk72apirk72 Posts: 501
    The people selling posters at shows do not work for the band usually.   The band can set limits but it is up to someone else to enforce them and sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.  Also, just because you are a "loyal" fan doesn't mean you are entitled to anything.  
  • I'm not sure I'd ever want to buy a poster at a concert. I get so hot and sweaty that trying to keep it in excellent condition would be a chore to say the least. The walls in our house are almost completely covered anyway. Heck, I live in deep south Texas, and I just wish Pearl Jam would play within 150 miles of my home for once. I've always had to drive more than 650 miles roundtrip to see them. Oh well, a guy can dream, right? 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I'm not sure I'd ever want to buy a poster at a concert. I get so hot and sweaty that trying to keep it in excellent condition would be a chore to say the least. The walls in our house are almost completely covered anyway. Heck, I live in deep south Texas, and I just wish Pearl Jam would play within 150 miles of my home for once. I've always had to drive more than 650 miles roundtrip to see them. Oh well, a guy can dream, right? 
    Well hell, Texas is a huge state.  I live in (southern) NJ and pretty much SHN was too far and too crowded for me to even consider.  Can't even imagine how far you have to travel for anything in Texas, even a local grocery store.  I watch Lone Star Law and your state is HUGE.  Feel for you buddy but love the conservation efforts by Texas Game Wardens.  
  • The posters didn’t seem that hard to get for the n most part. At ohana, I arrived at about 2:00 PM on sat. Both wave posters and VW posters were available. At encore I didn’t get there until three on Saturday. The tiki- which I was hoping to get, was sold out, but there were still lots of Ames available. Maybe my timing was lucky. 
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,481
    I'm not a big merch person, but the OP has a point because there is no doubt that there is no enforcement of rules when it comes to posters.  I don't know if there were rules limiting the number of posters per person at Ohana, but I do know at shows I've attended where there were limits; they were not enforced and that can give a loyal fan a bad taste in their mouth.

I was there and they did enforce the "2 per person" limit when I was at the counter.  I did hear others say that there were times when people were buying more than 2 at a time so whoever was running the counter must not have received the memo.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,705

I was there and they did enforce the "2 per person" limit when I was at the counter.  I did hear others say that there were times when people were buying more than 2 at a time so whoever was running the counter must not have received the memo.
    There is nothing to keep someone from buying 2 multiple times, or having your "significant other" or a friend in line with you to buy the max number also. There is always ways around limits. When the skate decks were available Encore weekend, there were couples walking around with one of them holding more than one.    
  • darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,553
    All you have to do now is post one word and people will understand: Gutted.
  • PureandEasy, I hear you regarding the size of Texas. I live in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, and during the 18 years I've been down here, we've had Alice in Chains, Stone Temple Pilots, Bush (twice), Aerosmith, Black Crowes, and others perform locally here. I realize that PJ will likely never perform in this area, but even San Antonio (250 miles away) would be an improvement. I believe the last time PJ performed in San Antonio was April 2003. That's too long in my opinion. Heck, they've probably played in Chicago 12 times since then! 
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Always one of the best people on these boards.  
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,407
    Always one of the best people on these boards.  
    no doubt!!!
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
    Does the OP just want the general show poster or only APs?
  • OfThePearlOfThePearl Posts: 770
    edited October 2021
    General show poster is fine by me for Williams (tiki) and Ames. I do prefer the variant color for the 1st wkend van. Not into the resale value, just the appearance and the fact I was at the show.

(And thanks, 2-feign-reluctance, for the offer of support. I don't post much, but often agree with yours!)
    Post edited by OfThePearl on
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    Online drops have become notoriously random and harder to get.   The flippers have bots.  It is almost as bad as ticketmaster.  Almost.
    I don't think there are as many straight up flippers as people think there are.  No one is going to use a bot to get a general store poster, maybe an AP.  There are just a bunch of PJ fans that collectors and a lot of those collectors buy just to resell, which I guess makes them flippers but no one likes to admit that. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    apirk72 said:
    I don't think there are as many straight up flippers as people think there are.  No one is going to use a bot to get a general store poster, maybe an AP.  There are just a bunch of PJ fans that collectors and a lot of those collectors buy just to resell, which I guess makes them flippers but no one likes to admit that. 

I was mostly speaking to the artist sales. Here they just drop at weird times. But do not kid yourself, there are plenty of flippers in the 10C solely for the ability to get merch.  More than enough to make a limited poster sell out very quickly.