Options

Would You Go See/Support Brandi Carlile Fronting Soundgarden?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
It has been reported that Brandi has "offered" to front Soundgarden on tour. However, this is COS reporting, it seems more like she was asked if she would and she said she'd love to. 

https://consequence.net/2021/10/brandi-carlile-soundgarden-singer/
Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Would You Go See/Support Brandi Carlile Fronting Soundgarden? 44 votes

Absolutely, she's amazing
34%
Jimmydean552-feign-reluctancekramer73pjpitt89mfc2006jjflashBH76306turner78nicknyr151ThoughtKnownjoe159rossstothersLastStopOnTheWestCoastLineGlorified KCPhilLeotardo 15 votes
Sure, whatever the other guys want to do is their business
20%
mvwLukinFanpledgeagrievanceTim SimmonsDW139059May 30thGern BlansteneeriepadaveJojoRice 9 votes
Maybe, as long as it's not "replacing" Chris with writing new music as Soundgarden.
9%
surforiabrewdog123ymalkielhihobibo 4 votes
No, let sleeping dogs lie. No one can replace Chris.
36%
pjhawksLedbetterman10lastexitlondoniOnlyownMymindjefftstatic111Kearn5ylookmawatchmecrashAbe FromanMerkin Ballerjeff2040tempo_n_groovelexicondevildrakeheuer14Sparty0Crahjiim 16 votes
Never. Sincerely, Vicky Cornell.
0%

Comments

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495

I imagine such a tour would be vicky tricky to pull off for obvious reasons, but I digress....

At first I was going to vote a resounding yes, likening it to AIC sans Layne, however Cantrell was always the main songwriter anyway, so it's apples & oranges... I'm thinking gun to my head, I would vote to let sleeping dogs lie.

• Options

I imagine such a tour would be vicky tricky to pull off for obvious reasons, but I digress....

At first I was going to vote a resounding yes, likening it to AIC sans Layne, however Cantrell was always the main songwriter anyway, so it's apples & oranges... I'm thinking gun to my head, I would vote to let sleeping dogs lie.

the other 3 contributed a LOT to the songwriting actually. I'd say it's probably about the same as Ed/PJ. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2021

the other 3 contributed a LOT to the songwriting actually. I'd say it's probably about the same as Ed/PJ. 

Which I almost typed as a more appropriate analogy, and no... I wouldn't want to see Pearl Jam move forward w/ a different singer if the roles were reversed. 

I guess I have my answer. 

(I think subconsciously I would want to support the tour regardless to stick it to you know who :D
  • Options
    LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I don't know how I'd feel about PJ moving on without Ed. As a general rule, I don't get all hung up on bands moving on without members, even lead singers; if you like the music, you like the music, a name is just that; a name. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    No option to vote "No, but I hope they have fun and enjoy themselves!"

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    She has the voice for sure. Not sure she has the aggression that would be necessary.  I can't quite picture her singing Birth Ritual.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB5_TtbYpto

Kotzen would be perfect

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    wow. he would be. but brandi has that connection. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797

as a sounds alike? THAT wouldn't be cool imo. Brandi , being herself doing soundgarden songs on the otherhand not trying to be chris...
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,143
    Or the singer from the Pretty Reckless. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Or the singer from the Pretty Reckless. 

Taylor Momsen
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:

as a sounds alike? THAT wouldn't be cool imo. Brandi , being herself doing soundgarden songs on the otherhand not trying to be chris...
    Kotzen isn't trying to sound like Cornell... That's his voice. Plus he is a monster guitar player 

• Options
    edited October 2021
    mickeyrat said:

Kotzen isn't trying to sound like Cornell... That's his voice. Plus he is a monster guitar player 

didnt say he was trying to. but he is a sound alike.

not sure about shows necessarily but I would be up for  a new greatest hits record with a variety of women on vocals.

Taylor did great at that tribute. so did Fiona. Ann does well of course and Brandi has proved worthy. Am sure there are others who would do him justice. Toni could kill.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,841
    Hells yeah I would. Brandi absolutely nailed it at Ohana and on 'A Rooster Says'. Whether or not it's a good long term match is a different conversation, but a one-off tour w/ her as the front woman would be must-see-tv IMO.
  • Options
    jjflash said:
    Hells yeah I would. Brandi absolutely nailed it at Ohana and on 'A Rooster Says'. Whether or not it's a good long term match is a different conversation, but a one-off tour w/ her as the front woman would be must-see-tv IMO.
    Affirmative
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    jjflash said:
    BINGO
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    kramer73kramer73 Posts: 2,604
    I would definitely go.

Also, Kim has said in interviews that he would not perform as "Soundgarden".
  • Options
    kramer73 said:
    I would definitely go.

Also, Kim has said in interviews that he would not perform as "Soundgarden".
    Nudedragons?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2021
    Yeah they are Nudedragons now...an anagram of Soundgarden
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on

• Options

• Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,896
    I will admit that I'm not really a fan of hers, but regardless I don't really want to see anybody else front Soundgarden. I just don't see how this could be pulled off. Like someone said, I don't mind new AIC since Jerry's voice was a part of the mix, but there is a reason I never listen to that live Mad Season tribute record.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
  • Options
    Yeah they are Nudedragons now...an anagram of Soundgarden
    well, sort of. they used that as a kind of secret name when they reunited for their first reunion shows. then when vicky took over all the SG social pages, they started new ones using Nudedragons. But since they came to that agreement, they are using the SG socials again. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    joe159joe159 Decatur, IL. Posts: 307
    Would love to see that tour happen!
  • Options
    Nope
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,166
    If it came to the city I lived in.  I'd go.

The problem is I live in a small city and most bigger bands don't play here (for some reason Chris Cornell played here 3 times during the songbook tour(s), but he was the only Seattle artist to do so).  

Would I travel to see that?  Probably not.

I've seen the reformed AIC twice.  Once on purpose in the earlier years of reforming, and then once by happy accident because they opened a GNR show in Seattle I was already going to.

I guess I struggle.   AIC shows are great, but I just don't seem to have the drive to go to see bands with replacement singers.  It's not bad, but it's not the same.  I have a good time, but I struggle to work up the motivation to spend 4 to 6 hours travelling to get to Vancouver or Seattle to see a show.   To be fair.. I think my desire to see other bands for the 5th or 6th time while paying super high ticket prices has also waned, so I'm not sure if I'm unbias or able to seperate the two issues.

but yah.. I probably wouldn't go unless it came to my town.  If it came to my town, I'd probably go, because events like that are few and far between here.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    edited October 2021
    Zod said:

The problem is I live in a small city and most bigger bands don't play here (for some reason Chris Cornell played here 3 times during the songbook tour(s), but he was the only Seattle artist to do so).  

I've seen the reformed AIC twice.  Once on purpose in the earlier years of reforming, and then once by happy accident because they opened a GNR show in Seattle I was already going to.

I guess I struggle.   AIC shows are great, but I just don't seem to have the drive to go to see bands with replacement singers.  It's not bad, but it's not the same.  I have a good time, but I struggle to work up the motivation to spend 4 to 6 hours travelling to get to Vancouver or Seattle to see a show.   To be fair.. I think my desire to see other bands for the 5th or 6th time while paying super high ticket prices has also waned, so I'm not sure if I'm unbias or able to seperate the two issues.

but yah.. I probably wouldn't go unless it came to my town.  If it came to my town, I'd probably go, because events like that are few and far between here.
    I feel your isolation pain. Evansville Indiana the closest "bigger" city from me where there are concerts is over an hour away and they are usually just country artists. To get to a city that actually gets touring bands that I would go see I need to drive 2.5 hours to Indianapolis, 3 hours to St Louis, 2.5 hours to Louisville or 4 hours to Chicago. 
  • Options
    Zod said:

I guess I struggle.   AIC shows are great, but I just don't seem to have the drive to go to see bands with replacement singersIt's not bad, but it's not the same.  I have a good time, but I struggle to work up the motivation to spend 4 to 6 hours travelling to get to Vancouver or Seattle to see a show.   To be fair.. I think my desire to see other bands for the 5th or 6th time while paying super high ticket prices has also waned, so I'm not sure if I'm unbias or able to seperate the two issues.

This more or less sums up my feelings as well. 

I've seen AIC 2.0 twice, as they were one of my favorite bands in the '90s, and it's the only way I can hear those songs live. I fully support the band members moving on with their lives, and I would support the guys from Soundgarden in doing the same. I just don't know that I would be that into it. 

I haven't bought any AIC albums that have come out since Layne died... I find something off putting about another singer who sounds just like him, but I also understand JC wants to play the older stuff. I don't begrudge him that... I just can't get into it like I did in the '90s.

I think I would feel similar in a hypothetical scenario if Soundgarden got a singer that sounded just like CC and moved forward as Soundgarden. I would probably go see them live once or twice because I support them doing what they want with their art, but it wouldn't be the same. 
  • Options
    Zod said:

I guess I struggle.   AIC shows are great, but I just don't seem to have the drive to go to see bands with replacement singersIt's not bad, but it's not the same.  I have a good time, but I struggle to work up the motivation to spend 4 to 6 hours travelling to get to Vancouver or Seattle to see a show.   To be fair.. I think my desire to see other bands for the 5th or 6th time while paying super high ticket prices has also waned, so I'm not sure if I'm unbias or able to seperate the two issues.

I've seen AIC 2.0 twice, as they were one of my favorite bands in the '90s, and it's the only way I can hear those songs live. I fully support the band members moving on with their lives, and I would support the guys from Soundgarden in doing the same. I just don't know that I would be that into it. 

I haven't bought any AIC albums that have come out since Layne died... I find something off putting about another singer who sounds just like him, but I also understand JC wants to play the older stuff. I don't begrudge him that... I just can't get into it like I did in the '90s.

I think I would feel similar in a hypothetical scenario if Soundgarden got a singer that sounded just like CC and moved forward as Soundgarden. I would probably go see them live once or twice because I support them doing what they want with their art, but it wouldn't be the same. 
    Reconsider the AIC albums post Layne.  Great stuff there. Rainier Fog for sure.

• Options
    Zod said:

Reconsider the AIC albums post Layne.  Great stuff there. Rainier Fog for sure.
    I did give Black -> Blue a try back when it first came out, it didn't do much for me. Neither did hearing the new material live, and I never really looked back. Should have given it more of a chance, but I just wasn't into it.

I'll give RF a listen, thanks.