Options

Flippers at Ohana Encore

Two bums in front of me bought $5,000 in merch, taking 25 minutes at the register and preventing me and others from getting festival posters.
I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998

Comments

• Options
    jefftjefft Posts: 650
    Did they not have limits at merch?  Or did they just take the limit on every size possible?
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,814
    Two bums in front of me bought $5,000 in merch, taking 25 minutes at the register and preventing me and others from getting festival posters.
    Nothing new unfortunately. 
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Mom and dad can’t pay for everything cool down in that basement!!
  • Options
    jefft said:jefft said:
    Did they not have limits at merch?  Or did they just take the limit on every size possible?

I think only posters had limits. These guys were real jerks. No consideration for others.
    I gather speed . . . Great Western Forum - Jul 13, 1998; Great Western Forum - Jul 14, 1998; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 02, 2003; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Irvine - Jun 03, 2003; Tweeter Center - Jul 11, 2003; Santa Barbara County Bowl - Oct 28, 2003; Gorge Amphitheatre - Sep 01, 2005; Pepsi Arena - May 12, 2006 Summerfest - Jun 29, 2006; The Forum - Jul 09, 2006; Aloha Stadium - Dec 09, 2006; Bonnaroo - Jun 14, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 28, 2008; Tweeter Center - Jun 30, 2008; United Center - Aug 23, 2009
    United Center - Aug 24, 2009; Verizon Wireless Amphitheatre Indiana -May 07, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 20, 2010; Madison Square Garden - May 21, 2010
    EV Solo 2008: LA1, Boston 1, DC1
    EV Colo 2009: Nashville 1&2
    Dead Man Walking: The Concert: March 29, 1998
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,144
    Yep, nothing new. Professionals funding not just their travels and tickets, but lord knows what else. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    We saw some of that during the first Ohana weekend
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    666erm666erm Posts: 243
    Had one of these douches in front of me buying 4 of each poster yesterday. Luckily I got there when gates opened since I knew the Ames would sell out early, but it’s still annoying.

honestly though, I blame the band for the current state  of the merch situation. Bands like the Stones and Foo Fighters let you buy event merch online. The Stones in particular even before the event so you don’t have to waste time in line. There has to be a better way to handle it all than the way PJ currently does it.
    04/11/03 West Palm Beach
    06/11/08 West Palm Beach
    09/03/11 East Troy
    09/04/11 East Troy
    09/02/12 Philadelphia
    09/21/12 Pensacola Beach
    07/19/13 Chicago
    06/16/14 Amsterdam
    06/17/14 Amsterdam
    10/09/14 Lincoln
    10/14/14 Memphis
    11/25/15 Bogota
    04/08/16 Fort Lauderdale
    04/09/16 Miami
    04/11/16 Tampa
    04/13/16 Jacksonville
    04/16/16 Greenville
    05/05/16 Quebec City
    08/05/16 Boston
    08/07/16 Boston
    07/01/18 Prague
    07/03/18 Krakow
    07/10/18 Barcelona
    07/14/18 Lisbon
    08/08/18 Seattle
    08/10/18 Seattle
    09/18/21 Asbury Park
    10/01/21 Dana Point
    10/02/21 Dana Point
    09/16/22 Nashville
    09/20/22 Oklahoma City
  • Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,264
    On one hand, I have zero interest in waiting in line for hours to buy a poster; my time is valuable enough to me that I'd rather pay a mark-up to someone reselling online -- or just do without. (FWIW I choose the "do without" option in general.)

On the other hand, I think the money I pay for a poster should go to the artist, etc. So they could increase poster production, offer them for sale online after the fact, or even do something like give us the option to pay for a poster when we pay for our tickets, "all posters will be shipped 4-6 weeks after the event."
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,983
    666erm said:
    Had one of these douches in front of me buying 4 of each poster yesterday. Luckily I got there when gates opened since I knew the Ames would sell out early, but it’s still annoying.

honestly though, I blame the band for the current state  of the merch situation. Bands like the Stones and Foo Fighters let you buy event merch online. The Stones in particular even before the event so you don’t have to waste time in line. There has to be a better way to handle it all than the way PJ currently does it.
    One one hand people miss out and flippers gonna flip people get angry, on the other hand, they produce more than enough merch (by selling online and in person, like the Stones or Foos), but they will inevitably get stuck with excess inventory. On top of that, people knowing merch is easier to get crates less FOMO and merch loses some of its allure and most likely in the longer term decreases sales.

• Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    I honestly don't understand why anyone is allowed to buy vast multiples of anything? Why are there not # limits on everything, or maybe have # limits on everything until a certain # of hours after doors open and then it's a free for all, buy as many of anything as you want?

It seems SO controllable, and SO many more things can be done to stop people only there to flip.  Why not have and enforce # limits on all items for a certain amount of time, then allow a free market, that way those who want 10 of anything can get their other 8 later?
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,452
    On one hand, I have zero interest in waiting in line for hours to buy a poster; my time is valuable enough to me that I'd rather pay a mark-up to someone reselling online -- or just do without. (FWIW I choose the "do without" option in general.)

On the other hand, I think the money I pay for a poster should go to the artist, etc. So they could increase poster production, offer them for sale online after the fact, or even do something like give us the option to pay for a poster when we pay for our tickets, "all posters will be shipped 4-6 weeks after the event."
    I think the money from poster sales at the shows and ten club just go to the band.  The artist makes his money with the AP sale.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Brigadoon, foodie capital Posts: 3,264
    on2legs said:

I think the money from poster sales at the shows and ten club just go to the band.  The artist makes his money with the AP sale.  

You might well be right -- I have no idea how the proceeds are allocated. At any rate, I'd rather not deal with resellers.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • Options
    OceansJennyOceansJenny Manhattan, NY Posts: 3,192
    JH6056 said:
    I honestly don't understand why anyone is allowed to buy vast multiples of anything? Why are there not # limits on everything, or maybe have # limits on everything until a certain # of hours after doors open and then it's a free for all, buy as many of anything as you want?

It seems SO controllable, and SO many more things can be done to stop people only there to flip.  Why not have and enforce # limits on all items for a certain amount of time, then allow a free market, that way those who want 10 of anything can get their other 8 later?
    Sometimes the people working the stands don’t care. They usually work for the venue.
    DC '03 - Reading '04 - Philly '05 - Camden 1 '06 - DC '06 - E. Rutherford '06 - The Vic '07 - Lollapalooza '07 - DC '08 - EV DC 1 & 2 '08 (Met Ed!!) - EV Baltimore 1 & 2 '09 - EV NYC 1 '11 (Met Ed!) - Hartford '13 - GCF '15 - MSG 2 '16 - TOTD MSG '16 - Boston 1 & 2 '18 - SHN '21 - EV NYC 1 & 2 '22 - MSG '22
  • Options
    Mr. FixerMr. Fixer Posts: 586
    This complaining has become boringsome…this is the time on Sprockets where we dance!

• Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    Please adopt a Foo style sales philosophy.   Or bring back the blind preorders.  The 2009 system was great 
  • Options
    JH6056 said:

Sometimes the people working the stands don’t care. They usually work for the venue.
    True, but the majority of the time they follow the directions they're given. Which would make a system of limited sales up front work in the majority of the times.  I've worked merch tables at big concerts.  It's true, it can be a hectic zoo, but we did follow the directions because at the end of the day, unless someone is going to leap over the table/counter and try to pull 10 posters themselves (which would represent a whole different type of problem for the sales people), they can get as grumpy as they like about the limits, we just bring up what we're allowed to bring up and sell.

It's not perfect, but hopefully the PJ camp cares about the difference between 2 dudes buying $5,000 worth of merch as first in line vs. 25+ people buying a total of $5,000 merch, with hopefully not nearly as much inflated resaleas the 2 guys.
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    Please adopt a Foo style sales philosophy.   Or bring back the blind preorders.  The 2009 system was great 
    What do the Foos do?
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    JH6056 said:
    CopperTom said:
    What do the Foos do?
    Online too
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    They can over print like they did on the short US tour in 18.  There were plenty of everything.  And then do the mystery boxes which were genius, with the leftover.  People will buy that crap between tours all day, every day.
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    JH6056 said:
    CopperTom said:
    What do the Foos do?
    Online too
    Cool, so some in person at show, but also some online? Limited quantities or usually enough to meet demand, do you know?
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    Wilco does posters online as well which is nice, besides making it easier to buy, it is nice not to carry around a poster
  • Options
    mrk2mrk2 Finland Posts: 2,026
    edited October 2021
    JH6056 said:
    CopperTom said:
    What do the Foos do?
    Their fans are not as obsessed with every piece of cardboard or plastic that says the band's name on it.
    225xxx - 6/28/00, 10/20/01, 10/22/01, 9/11/06, 9/22/06, 9/23/06, 6/18/07, 6/26/07, 8/15/09, 6/25/10, 6/30/10, 7/4/12, 7/5/12, 7/7/12, 7/10/12, 6/26/14, 6/28/14, 7/3/18, 7/5/18
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,077
    apirk72 said:
    Wilco does posters online as well which is nice, besides making it easier to buy, it is nice not to carry around a poster

They do, but those are just the leftovers. Demand for Wilco isn't nearly as high as it is for PJ. There might be 1-3 Wilco posters per tour that sell out immediately at the shows; not every night like PJ. The only Wilco items that seem to sell out at the merch stands are the random vinyl singles/7" records they do from time to time.
  • Options
    tdawetdawe Posts: 2,002
    ceska said:
    apirk72 said:

They do, but those are just the leftovers. Demand for Wilco isn't nearly as high as it is for PJ. There might be 1-3 Wilco posters per tour that sell out immediately at the shows; not every night like PJ. The only Wilco items that seem to sell out at the merch stands are the random vinyl singles/7" records they do from time to time.
    The Wilco/S-K 7” from their recent run didn’t even sell out, they were offering to sell extras via their latest email blast. 
  • Options
    apirk72apirk72 Posts: 493
    They sold them day of online.  I bought my poster the afternoon before the show I went to.
  • Options
    Bear with me a moment...all of us who attended Ohana and Encore had the standard festival wristband.  Besides scanning it to get in, it was used in only one other instance while I was there-to keep track how many sample shots of alcohol were being given out.  I was told at the Tito's kiosk that they could offer 4 samples to an individual. They scanned my wristband after each one.  This was done at each kiosk...including the Angry Orchard one.

With this in mind, it does not seem that it would be that difficult for the merch tents to scan a festival goer's wristband when they bought their allotted number of (fill in the blank).  Next time they got in line to try to do it again, it would indicate that they had already received their designated number of items.  By virtue of having it in place and showing that it would be utilized, people would only get their one or two posters and be done with it.

I know that there are sneaky side angles that are being worked all the time.  I was asked both at the outside merch tent and the indoor main merch tent if I was buying a poster (yes) and if I could buy an extra for them...offered $40 for a $35 poster.  On principle I refused...but watched others take them up on the offer.

The worst image that I saw occurred on Friday when I was arriving after a flight from Northern California.  As I walked toward the venue, I watched a guy pulling a collapsible wagon that was loaded with no fewer than 20 tubes (how many posters in each tube?  two or more?) and six (6) skate decks...which I had no clue were even on the merch menu at this point.  Currently Ebay has four for sale from $202 to a $750 buy it now. 

Between negotiating with other people in line and merch people who may have the attitude of "why should I care? The sooner these are gone the sooner I can stop  selling them", there are all sorts of holes in the "wristband" logic--with that said, it would manage it somewhat, which is more than we are getting now.

On the other hand...why should we care?  We either get what we want or we don't...the sun will continue to rise in the East and set in the West. 
  • Options
    I bought 5 EV rugs.  Is that excessive?
  • Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,375
    How much was the rug? Going for about $800 on that site.
  • Options
    Mr. Fixer said:
    This complaining has become boringsome…this is the time on Sprockets where we dance!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!  I forgot about that skit!
    Snl Sprockets GIF - Snl Sprockets Mike Myers - Discover amp Share GIFs
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    How much was the rug? Going for about $800 on that site.

Which isn't a bad price for a large area rug.  I thought about it for a minute and then about how I would get it to Virginia.  Quickly decided no.