Temple_Of_Belltown

jgmochjgmoch Fayetteville, NC Posts: 79
edited September 2021 in The Porch
Hello Everyone!

Nice to meet all of you! I'm just here to meet some new friends and PJ fans that want to share memories or forge new ones. My connection to Pearl Jam and Eddie Vedder spans about thirty years when Alive was released on Mtv. I remember exactly where I was at 12:30 AM when Mtv's 120-Minutes first aired the video from Moore Theatre. No-one else was around. So I was like, "ya'll have got to hear this!" By the end of the outro solo, we were like ok that was badass. Who are they? Where did these guys come from? Soon our cd cases would be filled with first pressings of Ten, Temple Of The Dog, and Badmotorfinger. Then I found the first import copy of Jeremy, by Disctronics Ltd. in Australia, the version with yellow ink printed on a purple cd face. That was the moment Yellow Ledbetter was revealed to my little world of friends, my neighborhood, and every car at the stoplight. Mike had somehow captured the essence of Hendrix and SR Vaughn in one single riff, once a B-side from Ten, that would soon become one of their most recognized and beloved compositions. That's when I knew PJ was lightning in a bottle -- because even the songs that were cut from the Ten album were incredible. Thus, setting up the stage for Vs as PJ continued their new style of promoting previously unreleased tracks on cd singles. Pearl Jam also singlehandedly created the demand for import cds and bootlegs, circa 1992.

Five Skeleton Kings @ corner of 2nd Ave. and Bell St. (Riot Act)

The next few years, Seattle would be the epicenter of my juvenile musical interests. I would learn the Ten and Vs albums on drums, form a garage band that played PJ, Nirvana, and AIC covers. And then go to bed wishing I had the chops to play Soundgarden. After a handful of drummers rotated in and out of the band, PJ finally reconnected with Matt C., and that has made all the difference in the world. The band sounds so much more versatile and mature, the arrangements are more complex and experimental, and Matt seems to drive the whole machine perfectly. 

When I moved to Seattle a few years ago, I would spend time walking through the alleyway at the corner of 2nd Ave. and Bell St., trying to connect with old ghosts and vibrations that ebbed and flowed through the dingy, concrete corridor. The last PJ show I'd be able to attend was The Home Shows 2018, in Seattle, WA. Unfortunately, I later suffered a head and neck injury while mountain climbing in The Cascades. Pearl Jam has been an integral part of my rehabilitation process; everyday I play my favorite bootlegs and try to endure physical and cognitive rehab while Eddie and Co. encourages me with sonic empathy, compassion, determination, and personal resolve.  

Pearl Jam 08/08/2018 -- The Home Shows, Seattle, WA

I hope to one day be able to see another PJ show without disability or wheelchair assistance. It's my goal to rejoin my TEN CLUB family and friends, and forty-thousand people singing along with our beloved band leader, Eddie. These guys probably don't know that they've been my unspoken family, friends, and psychotherapists for many years. They also don't know that their music brought me through a minimally conscious state several months after enduring a stroke and coma. It was a slow process, but the nurses kept playing Ten because I would respond to it. So, I just wanted to say 'thank you' and tell all of you how much I love you, including previous band members, crew, and affiliates who may or may not be currently active.

That said-- my current wishlist is to find a travel partner for next spring/summer Gigaton Tour 2022. If anyone in Southeastern North Carolina is interested in traveling to some PJ shows, I'd be excited to attend Nashville, Baltimore, and maybe New York. I believe about 600 miles would be my travel limit because of recurring seizures, but I want to try. I'm willing to reimburse or split travel expenses. Thanks for reading and interacting with my post. Much love to you.

Sincerely,

John Moch

Force Of Nature Moving At The Speed of Sound -- March 29, 2019 -- Mt. St. Helens, WA
Temple_Of_Belltown
Post edited by jgmoch on

Comments

• Best wishes on your recovery journey -- keep on rocking!
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • a5pja5pj Posts: 3,880
    Great story John! Hope you can find a travel buddy or 2. I used to live in Raleigh, beautiful area.
    Wouldn't it be funny if the world ended in 2010, with lots of fire?

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,237
    Livin' life, good onya' John! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Go for it john. Strong man
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,643
    Good read. Hope to see you on the flip side.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • jgmochjgmoch Fayetteville, NC Posts: 79
    Just wanted to take a moment to thank all of the people who sent comments and emails. Thank you for sending love and support. Thank you for saying encouraging words. Thank you for taking time out of your day. 

Sincerely,

John M. 
    Temple_Of_Belltown