Options

Dio

Can anyone recommend any other Dio songs on par with Rainbow in the Dark, Holy Diver and Last in Line?  I’ve always thought of Rainbow as a solid track that still holds up and legitimately rocks, but I’ve never listened to anything else of theirs until recently.  I checked out Holy diver and last in line and wow they are also super cool so I’m hoping there’s more to find.  The next couple I tried were not even close and sounded weak in comparison.  Let me know what else I should go to.  You can throw in any other RJD bands like sabbath or rainbow if any of that is really good.

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,800
    BS Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    Dio- We Rock, Rainbow- Man on the Silver Mountain
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    edited June 2021
    Sooo funny. Old friend called me to tell me about a biker he saw all 'dioed' out and he thought of me. Patches and stickers on his helmet!

Imho anything after last in line is not my taste. Loved Dio with rainbow and sabbath. A couple epic tracks. The Sign of the Southern Cross, Heaven and Hell, Catch the Rainbow, Rainbow Rising. I still have to get long live rock  and roll. Enjoy hearing some of these songs for the first time. Somehow RJD flys under peoples radar sometimes.
    To think people I shared this music with are now just memories and the music stays forever. 
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    In addition to those mentioned:
    Stargazer with Rainbow
    Children of the Sea with Black Sabbath
    Sacred Heart, All the Fools Sailed Away, Sunset Superman, Dream Evil, King of Rock and Roll, Hungry for Heaven, I Could Have Been A Dreamer, Gypsy - DIO
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    So many great songs.........I Speed at Night (Dio), Stand Up and Shout (Dio), Kill The King (Rainbow), Long Live Rock N Roll (Rainbow), Turn Up The Night (BS), Neon Knights (BS), The Mob Rules (BS)
  • Options
    If you look at his name 'dio' when it's written all fancy. Turn it upside down and read it backwards.
  • Options
    iwasatpj20iwasatpj20 Rockford, IL Posts: 3,300
    Dio solo - Don't talk to Strangers, We Rock, Egypt
    Rainbow - Rainbow Eyes, Black Sheep of the Family, Starstruck, Gates of Babylon
    Heaven & Hell (Black Sabbath) - mob rules, country girl, turn up the night

The greatest singing voice in heavy metal history, Ronnie James Dio, and not the tallest guy.
    2000 - Chicago, IL
    2003 - Champaign, IL
    2006 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2007 - Chicago, IL Lollapalooza
    2009 - Chicago, IL 1 & 2
    2010 - St. Louis, MO
    2011 - East Troy, WI 1 & 2 (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2012 - Atlanta, GA, Missoula, MT
    2013 - Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field), Dallas, TX, Oklahoma City, OK
    2014 - St. Louis, MO, Tulsa, OK, Moline, IL (No Code, IL), Saint Paul, MN, Milwaukee, WI (Yield, WI)
    2016 - Greenville, SC (Vs, SC), Raleigh, NC, Columbia, SC, Boston, MA (Fenway Park 1), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)
    2018 - Seattle, WA (Safeco Field 2), Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2), Boston, MA (Fenway Park 2)
    2020 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, ??
    2022 - Nashville, TN, St. Louis, MO, Oklahoma City, OK, Phoenix, AZ, Las Vegas, NV
    2023 - St. Paul, MN 2, Fort Worth, TX 2, Austin, TX 1, and Austin, TX 2
    2024 - Portland, OR and Chicago, IL (Wrigley Field 1 & 2)

2012 - Temple of the Dog East Troy, WI (PJ20 Destination Weekend)
    2014 - Soundgarden Tinley Park, IL (with Nine Inch Nails)
    2014 - Alice in Chains Davenport, IA
    2016 - Chris Cornell Solo Madison, WI and Peoria, IL (official hometown show)
    2016 - Temple of the Dog San Francisco, CA (both shows)
    2017 - Soundgarden Dallas (cancelled) RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 - Smashing Pumpkins Chicago, IL (first show)
    2019 - Alice in Chains Milwaukee, WI
    2022 - Jerry Cantrell Chicago, IL
    2023 - Jerry Cantrell Milwaukee, WI

RIP Andrew Wood, Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, and Chris Cornell

RIP Mom (may your star shine the brightest in the sky, our family loves and misses you very much, we'll meet again)

• Options
    circlesdowncirclesdown Posts: 308
    Loujoe said:
    If you look at his name 'dio' when it's written all fancy. Turn it upside down and read it backwards.
    I couldn’t make anything out.  If that’s a prank then ya got me.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    DEVIL
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    I couldn’t make anything out.  If that’s a prank then ya got me.
    No prank. I'm not that clever. Also look for a secret message on the mob rules cover if you have time to 'kill'...
  • Options
    I just looked at his website. Anyone pick up those live lps? I think I'd grab that holy diver one. 
  • Options
    SIGN OF THE SOUTHERN CROSS !!!
    Oh my God this is blowing my mind

• Options
    edited June 2021

Edit: Not quite as much fun as this.

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:

At first I kinda see ‘Die’ but then nothing really stands out from the upside down D.  

• Options
    Whaaa^^
  • Options
    SIGN OF THE SOUTHERN CROSS !!!
    Oh my God this is blowing my mind

Enjoy the ride. You are inspiring me to dust off my old rainbow, sabbath stuff. I dig the beginning of that song when it's all light and sweet then the tone changes. That's an epic song.
  • Options
    nooramnooram Posts: 389
    I used to have DIO on my motorcycle license plates.  I now have PRLJAM.
    Seattle 8/91, MPLS 3/92, St Paul 8/92, Denver 6/95, Missoula 6/98, MPLS 6/98, Albuquerque 10/00, Seattle 12/02, St Paul 6/03, Thunder Bay 9/05, DC 5/06, St Paul x2 6/06, Vancouver (EV) 4/08, DC 6/08, Chicago x2 8/09, KC 5/10, MPLS (EV) 7/11, Chicago 7/13, St Paul 10/14, Santiago 11/15, Missoula 8/18, Denver 9/22, Saint Paul 8/23, Saint Paul 9/23
  • Options
    nooram said:
    I used to have DIO on my motorcycle license plates.  I now have PRLJAM.
    You were right the first time. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

• Options

• Options
    up next. Was thrilled to find this at my local joint. 4 bucks. 
    Check out these tracks:
    Self Portrait
    (Nothing is real but the wayyyy that I feeeel, and I feeeeel like gooooiiing down down down DOWN)
    Catch the Rainbow
    The rest is pretty killer too.

• Options

• Options
    Funky bunch of rockers. I was 3 when this came out. Dang!
  • Options
    Catch the rainbow. Lovely bedtime song. May not be the rocking song you are looking for op. So good. Rip RJD. See you there someday.
  • Options
    I’ve listened to Southern Cross about 8 times today.  Thank you.

I guess I’ve just never realized how legit RJD was.  The thing that turns me off about a lot of metal is how a lot of bands try to achieve this level of mystique but just fall short in a spinal tap kinda way.  But Dio is pretty convincing, like if I heard this when I was a little kid it might have scared me.  
  • Options
    I hear you. I never really thought of that. It's a fine line and can be seen as overly theatrical.
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,436
    Loujoe said:

Quality vs quantity?
  • Options
    Yep. Those epic songs tell quite a story. lots of keys and guitar jams to take up time. I'm ready to go fight a knight and takeover the castle now.
    Give those tunes a listen if you don't know them yet.