Options

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: THE ROCKY FRANCHISE - ROUND 2

2»

Comments

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Rocky IV
    I'm surprised that Creed and Rocky Balboa are in the lead to be next eliminated. Creed was fantastic! And i heard that Rocky Balboa was real good (that was the only one that I haven't sen yet).
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    edited June 2021
    Creed
    Still remember when the trailer for Rocky Balboa dropped. 2006 - the year when films shot on Panavision Genesis started coming out. This one, Superman Returns etc. Great time in the theatre. 

https://youtu.be/8tab8fK2_3w
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Rocky Balboa
    Still remember when the trailer for Rocky Balboa dropped. 2006 - the year when films shot on Panavision Genesis started coming out. This one, Superman Returns etc. Great time in the theatre. 

https://youtu.be/8tab8fK2_3w

I watched that trailer so many times, it never failed to give me chills.  I remember being on some Rocky message board site with all of the filming leaks and looking for any scrap of info each day.  Almost went to the fight filming after seeing the open call for people.  I don't think the movie's held up that great, probably because Dixon was a terrible opponent, but it had all the nostalgia feels without being a letdown, which seemed inevitable given Sly's age and all the time between films in the saga.  They really pulled it of, but I think Creed took it to another level of quality.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Rocky Balboa
    I know this might sound contradictory, given my comment about RB not aging great, but here's a hot take:  Rocky 5 is a decent/good movie that only gets slammed because people expected a continuation of Rocky 3/4.  R5 has more depth to the story and characters than the previous 2 movies.  I love the focus on family and taking them back to the slums of Philly.  The TERRIBLE music, some cartoonish characters (George Washington Duke, Tommy's girlfriend) and Rocky not fighting in a ring really killed it for people.  If you get past that and watch it again with an open mind, it is a touching movie.  Also, one of my favorite endings with Rocky and son running up the steps leading to a fade out to a montage of series scenes set to Elton John's 'Measure of a Man'.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Creed
    I know this might sound contradictory, given my comment about RB not aging great, but here's a hot take:  Rocky 5 is a decent/good movie that only gets slammed because people expected a continuation of Rocky 3/4.  R5 has more depth to the story and characters than the previous 2 movies.  I love the focus on family and taking them back to the slums of Philly.  The TERRIBLE music, some cartoonish characters (George Washington Duke, Tommy's girlfriend) and Rocky not fighting in a ring really killed it for people.  If you get past that and watch it again with an open mind, it is a touching movie.  Also, one of my favorite endings with Rocky and son running up the steps leading to a fade out to a montage of series scenes set to Elton John's 'Measure of a Man'.
    That's a lot to get past!

I actually like the final scene where he fights Tommy in the street. And I enjoy George Washington Duke in an "unintentional comedy" sort of way. "Touch me and I'll sue" was a line me and my friends used a lot. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 28,933
    Creed
    Don't even remember part 5. Something about a brawl in an alleyway? 

Maybe I should rewatch that one too... 
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,380
    Rocky III
    Ugh the proto-Don King character - that was awful. And somehow Paulie had control of ALL OF THE FAMILY'S MONEY? You gotta be kidding me. I wouldn't trust that guy to hold a $20 kitty for a lame Texas Hold'em Tourney.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,725
    Creed
    Ugh the proto-Don King character - that was awful. And somehow Paulie had control of ALL OF THE FAMILY'S MONEY? You gotta be kidding me. I wouldn't trust that guy to hold a $20 kitty for a lame Texas Hold'em Tourney.
    Yeah that's a lot of the issue. The whole thing isn't plausible. I get what Stallone was going for (the rags to riches to rags story) but it just doesn't work. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Rocky Balboa
    R5 has maybe the funniest scene in the whole series:
    Tommy confronts Rocky and Paulie in the local bar near the end because Tommy wants to fight Rock, but Rocky wants nothing to do with him.  Paulie confronts him and Tommy punches him out.  As Rocky's walking out the door to then fight Tommy in the street, 2 out of shape bar patrons stand up and ask him if he needs any help.  Rocky turns to them and says "Naw, this ain't no pie eatin' contest".  Hilariously insulting and completely out of nowhere.  Everyone in town loves Rocky and these guys are ready to get their faces beaten in to help him, and he just throws a totally inappropriate yet perfectly timed zinger at these poor guys.
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Rocky III
    holy shit, how could i have missed the first round, I live and breathe this franchise!

Three is the most "unbelievable" story out of the franchise, even more than 5.  There is no way in hell Rocky goes out to fight Clubber after seeing Mick fighting for his life in the locker room.  Plus the beating he put on Clubber in the first round of the second fight should have floored Clubber.  I could go on and on about the things that I don't like about the story of 3.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    Rocky III

You would think they could have made a lot of it back with getting some endorsements from Rocky's name. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,380
    Rocky III

You would think they could have made a lot of it back with getting some endorsements from Rocky's name. 
    Right? Doesn't he have an agent or something? "Write" a book. Sign autographs. Something - be resourceful!

Nah, they gotta move back into the slums. Yeah, okay.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Rocky III

Right? Doesn't he have an agent or something? "Write" a book. Sign autographs. Something - be resourceful!

There's also no way in hell Micky set up those 10 championship fights without some kind of management or promoter above him.  He was pushing 80 (said he was 76 in the first movie) and had to be out of touch with the social scene in the 70s/80s.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,878

Call Vince McMahon. He would have paid for a few appearances. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Rocky Balboa
    holy shit, how could i have missed the first round, I live and breathe this franchise!

Three is the most "unbelievable" story out of the franchise, even more than 5.  There is no way in hell Rocky goes out to fight Clubber after seeing Mick fighting for his life in the locker room.  Plus the beating he put on Clubber in the first round of the second fight should have floored Clubber.  I could go on and on about the things that I don't like about the story of 3.
    3 is one of the best Cheese movies of all time.  This is not debatable.  :lol:.    

I could go on and on about the things I love about 3!  :)

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Rocky III

I think 4 is the best Cheese.  I mean c'mon, this is full-on Cold War.  Plus the goofiness at the beginning with the robot for Paulie's birthday present.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Rocky Balboa

I think 4 is the best Cheese.  I mean c'mon, this is full-on Cold War.  Plus the goofiness at the beginning with the robot for Paulie's birthday present.

4 is very high on the Cheese scale, as well.  A movie I enjoy watching, very much.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Rocky III

• Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    With 8 votes Rocky Balboa and with 6 votes Creed have been eliminated in Round 2
  • Options
    Rocky III
    Rocky I has to win right?
This discussion has been closed.