Options

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: THE ROCKY FRANCHISE - ROUND 2

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
To keep us on the movie path I decided to go with one of my all-time favorite franchises 'ROCKY', so we can now discuss what we think is the BEST MOVIE IN THE ROCKY FRANCHISE. Pick the film that you think is the WEAKEST LINK from the ones provided. I do know there is a Creed III slated to be released in 2022, but we will have to see if that one stands up against these others.

Now to the 1st Round to determine the BEST MOVIE IN THE ROCKY FRANCHISE.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) movie with the most votes. We will then move on to ROUND 2.

The Contenders
Rocky (1976)
Rocky II (1979)
Rocky III (1982)
Rocky IV (1985)
Rocky V (1990) - Eliminated Round 1
Rocky Balboa (2006)
Creed (2015)
Creed II (2018) - Eliminated Round 1

POLL- THE WEAKEST LINK: THE ROCKY FRANCHISE - ROUND 2 23 votes

Rocky
0%
Rocky II
8%
eddiectempo_n_groove 2 votes
Rocky III
13%
Johnny AbruzzobbiggsGlorified KC 3 votes
Rocky IV
17%
Ponciergoldrushmickeyrateeriepadave 4 votes
Rocky Balboa
34%
mcgruff10AllNiteThingmfc2006jwhjr17RiotZactBLACK35F Me In The BrainWest Coast Dreamgirl 8 votes
Creed
26%
Ledbetterman10Spiritual_ChaoserebusPapOffSheGoes35JojoRice 6 votes

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Rocky Balboa
    Liked it but not more than the others.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,436
    Rocky III
    Any Philadelphian worth his/her salt will vote out the movie that took the franchise to Cali.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,016
    Creed
    Liked it but not more than the others.
    come on now
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've only seen through Rocky IV.

I stopped caring about Rocky Balboa as a character in, I don't know, the first one. Dude's a fucking meathead.

Perhaps I'd like the Creed films.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    Creed
    Is your heart telling you to wait S_C?
  • Options
    AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    edited June 2021
    Rocky Balboa
    Any Philadelphian worth his/her salt will vote out the movie that took the franchise to Cali.

No way!  Top-2 Rocky film for me easily.  You get all of this:
    • End of the fight from Rocky 2 (best fight ending in the whole saga)
    • Montage of Rocky's first title defenses, set to Eye of the Tiger (also includes the Muppets!)
    • Exhibition fight with Hulk Hogan, aka Thunderlips
    • Main fight #1 against Clubber Lang
    • Main fight #2 against Clubber Lang (that's 2 championship bouts in 1 movie!!!)
    • Talia Shire was extra flirty looking in this movie, probably her best look of the series
    • The last training scene with Mickey where they talk of joining the circus when it's all over.  It was a touching sendoff for Mick.
    • Mr. T as Clubber Lang was the ultimate bad guy and had by far the best lines of a villain in the whole series:  "C'mere woman!  Let me show you a real man!"  "Dead meat!"  "Prediction?.....Paaaain."   And the best Clubber/Rocky exchange:  Clubber: "I'm a bust you up"  Rocky:  "Go for it!"  And of course Rocky's "You ain't so bad!"
    • The 'rematch' with Apollo at the end of the movie was one of the best endings, fading into that classic Leroy Neiman painting
    Now, I agree the training in LA was a bit of a stumble in the writing department, but I get why they did it.  The running on the beach and 'no-homo' hugs don't hold a candle to jumping park benches in Philly or climbing the tallest Siberian mountain in a bomber jacket.  Hell, I even liked RB's junkyard training and running with the little dog in the snow.  The post-Appollo death montage and soundtrack in R4 are better, but that movie is overall pretty thin.  R1 and R2 are a tough 1-2 punch to top, but 3 is right there, just a notch below.  It had the classic feel and heart of 1 and 2, with a taste of the over-the-top 80's goodness from 4, all the best parts put together.
    Post edited by AllNiteThing on
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Options
    Rocky Balboa
    I did it wrong, I picked the film I like.  Can I change my vote to Creed please?
  • Options
    Rocky III

No way!  Top-2 Rocky film for me easily.  You get all of this:
    • End of the fight from Rocky 2 (best fight ending in the whole saga)
    • Montage of Rocky's first title defenses, set to Eye of the Tiger (also includes the Muppets!)
    • Exhibition fight with Hulk Hogan, aka Thunderlips
    • Main fight #1 against Clubber Lang
    • Main fight #2 against Clubber Lang (that's 2 championship bouts in 1 movie!!!)
    • Talia Shire was extra flirty looking in this movie, probably her best look of the series
    • The last training scene with Mickey where they talk of joining the circus when it's all over.  It was a touching sendoff for Mick.
    • Mr. T as Clubber Lang was the ultimate bad guy and had by far the best lines of a villain in the whole series:  "C'mere woman!  Let me show you a real man!"  "Dead meat!"  "Prediction?.....Paaaain."   And the best Clubber/Rocky exchange:  Clubber: "I'm a bust you up"  Rocky:  "Go for it!"  And of course Rocky's "You ain't so bad!"
    • The 'rematch' with Apollo at the end of the movie was one of the best endings, fading into that classic Leroy Neiman painting
    Now, I agree the training in LA was a bit of a stumble in the writing department, but I get why they did it.  The running on the beach and 'no-homo' hugs don't hold a candle to jumping park benches in Philly or climbing the tallest Siberian mountain in a bomber jacket.  Hell, I even liked RB's junkyard training and running with the little dog in the snow.  The post-Appollo death montage and soundtrack in R4 are better, but that movie is overall pretty thin.  R1 and R2 are a touch 1-2 punch to top, but 3 is right there, just a notch below.  It had the classic feel and heart of 1 and 2, with a taste of the over-the-top 80's goodness from 4, all the best parts put together.
    Well I'll respectfully disagree as Rocky III to me is kind of a mess of cliches, although some kudos for the big fight at the end not actually going 15 full rounds (come on that's been outlawed for decades - no way Rocky v Drago could've been a 15-round fight in real life) and definitely a nice robust treatise from you on this particular film! Clearly if my criteria was "pick the movie with the most stuff" Rocky III would be much higher on my list.  ;)B)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    RiotZactRiotZact Posts: 6,206
    Rocky Balboa
    I love Rocky IV with all of my heart. My favorite movie growing up. But there’s no fucking way that it’s a better film than Creed. 
  • Options
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Creed
    dankind said:

I stopped caring about Rocky Balboa as a character in, I don't know, the first one. Dude's a fucking meathead.

Did you keep watching in hopes that he would go to Night School or some shit?

Edit: Lord knows he couldn't pass "Acting in Commercials 101"...
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    Embarrassed to say I fell asleep during Rocky; not my kind of movie and I was most likely stoned.  Never fully saw any of the other Rocky movies. I know this thread is not for people like me, but living in the Philly area; just felt like I had to confess.  Plus I"m a woman so, boxing, meh.
  • Options
    Creed
    dankind said:

Watch Rocky Balboa
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Creed
    Is your heart telling you to wait S_C?
    Had to figure out what was the most pointless entry of Rocky III, IV or Creed
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Creed
    RiotZact said:
    I love Rocky IV with all of my heart. My favorite movie growing up. But there’s no fucking way that it’s a better film than Creed. 
    There is no fucking way Creed is better than Rocky Balboa which bookended everything nicely. Creed was just dragging it back and stretching it thin.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Rocky II
    I've always felt Rocky I was the only great movie of the franchise. Although I'll admit that I enjoyed the hell out of most them, even if they ooze with runny cheese. (Creed dialed it back a bit.)
    I watched Rocky defeat Drago countless times when I was a kid, and Clubber Lang is kick-ass.
    But Rocky I is actually a solid movie.

• Options
    Rocky Balboa
    RiotZact said:
    There is no fucking way Creed is better than Rocky Balboa which bookended everything nicely. Creed was just dragging it back and stretching it thin.
    The vast, vast majority of film critics disagree with you. And film critics are notorious for hating it when franchises drag things out. 
  • Options
    Creed
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    The vast, vast majority of film critics disagree with you. And film critics are notorious for hating it when franchises drag things out. 
    Okey. They are wrong and I am correct. Bummer for them.
  • Options
    Rocky III
    Embarrassed to say I fell asleep during Rocky; not my kind of movie and I was most likely stoned.  Never fully saw any of the other Rocky movies. I know this thread is not for people like me, but living in the Philly area; just felt like I had to confess.  Plus I"m a woman so, boxing, meh.
    Rocky is kind of a love story movie actually - that's a shame. Yeah the rest of the franchise is pretty meat-heady. At least until you get to Creed.

• Options
    Rocky Balboa
    RiotZact said:
    RiotZact said:
    Okey. They are wrong and I am correct. Bummer for them.
    Clearly.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Creed
    Top 3 scene in the Rocky franchise: 

https://youtu.be/LxgU_aepGd0

IT AINT ABOUT HOW HARD YOU HIT
    ITS ABOUT HOW HARD YOU CAN GET IHIT
    AND KEEP MOVING FORWARD
  • Options

AND KEEP MOVING FORWARD
    I did not watch the scene because I read those lines and threw up in my own mouth a little.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Creed
    dankind said:

AND KEEP MOVING FORWARD
    I did not watch the scene because I read those lines and threw up in my own mouth a little.
    He's lying. He was so inspired he drank a carton of eggs.
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,797
    Rocky IV
    dankind said:

AND KEEP MOVING FORWARD

thats why he threw up a little..
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Rocky II
    dankind said:

AND KEEP MOVING FORWARD
    and punched raw slabs of meat.
  • Options
    That might be worse than "it's not your fault."

By all appearances, Chumbawamba wrote Rocky Balboa.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    Rocky Balboa
    MedozK said:
    To keep us on the movie path I decided to go with one of my all-time favorite franchises 'ROCKY', so we can now discuss what we think is the BEST MOVIE IN THE ROCKY FRANCHISE. Pick the film that you think is the WEAKEST LINK from the ones provided. I do know there is a Creed III slated to be released in 2022, but we will have to see if that one stands up against these others.

Now to the 1st Round to determine the BEST MOVIE IN THE ROCKY FRANCHISE.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) movie with the most votes. We will then move on to ROUND 2.

The Contenders
    Rocky (1976)
    Rocky II (1979)
    Rocky III (1982)
    Rocky IV (1985)
    Rocky V (1990) - Eliminated Round 1
    Rocky Balboa (2006)
    Creed (2015)
    Creed II (2018) - Eliminated Round 1
    I still have to see Creed II, Creed was awesome.
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,921
    Which is the one that has Ewoks?

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    Rocky IV
    JimmyV said:
    Rocky IV.
    Russian countryside is littered with the little furry bastards. And if they can change, well then...
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Rocky III
    Poncier said:
    JimmyV said:
    Rocky IV.
    Russian countryside is littered with the little furry bastards. And if they can change, well then...
    and Rocky V has the alternative 1985.

This discussion has been closed.