Options

Have You Had Sellers Regret?

GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,524
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum area...

Context: I do collect posters for every Pearl Jam show I go to. I do the same with a few other bands that have gig posters.

I have an opportunity to sell a gig poster (non PJ) for upwards of $2000. I'm surprisingly not attached to the poster, and am blown away that it's a minor grail in some circles. I'm already missing 2-3 posters of my 25 shows this band, so I don't even have a complete collection. I could find the missing ones, I'm sure - but I haven't really taken the time or saved the cash. 

I'd be using the funds from this for an awesome vacation. If I was just paying off bills and reducing some debt, I wouldn't sell in a million years. I do however, like that it would directly fund an experience I'd love to do and not incur extra debt.

Anyway, my question is, has anyone sold a poster and then lived to regret it? And not in the sense of, "I sold Moline for $500 and 2 years later it's worth $1500...(we've all been there)
I'm wondering if anyone has sold a poster and been mad at themselves for letting it go?

1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,985
    Nope.  Take that money.  

Enjoy that experience!
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,383
    Only regret I really have is selling my Lost Dogs a couple of years ago. Will be on the hunt for that soon.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I've provided posters for donations/contests/league prizes/gifts that went on to be semi big deals.  Nothing too major but I wish I had all three of them back.  Sure there are others but these popped to mind.  Just sent away an EV Dusseldorf but that was a league so I "gambled" with that one.  

Ben Frost Milwaukee?  Given away.
    Lexington / Kentucky Six. Given away
    BK Milton Keynes  Given Away

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    Also ...sell that shit man - the vacation will be something you and others remember forever.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    Yes, I've had some regret with at least one poster... but OTOH, it's only stuff, so I don't dwell on it. 

Do what feels right. If you're not particularly attached to the poster, it seems like a no brainer to me. 
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Since the poster comes from a show you went to, I assume when you look at the poster it reminds you of your experience at that show. So when you sell it, and take this trip, you'll take some photos or get a souvenir that reminds you of this great experience as well. 

Sell it.

Experiences > Things. 
  • Options
    PM16037PM16037 Ballston Spa, NY Posts: 1,145
    Also ...sell that shit man - the vacation will be something you and others remember forever.
    then buy something from the vacation to remember, hahah

murdochanson @ expressobeans.com
    MurdocHanson @ Discogs.com
    Murdoc_Hanson @ collectionzz.com
    Mansfield, Massachusetts (September 16, 1998) / Saratoga Springs, New York (August 27, 2000) / Albany, New York (April 29, 2003) / Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 02, 2003) / Mansfield, Massachusetts (July 03, 2003) / Boston, Massachusetts (September 28, 2004) / Boston, Massachusetts (September 29, 2004) / Kitchener, Ontario (September 11, 2005) / London, Ontario (September 12, 2005) / Hamilton, Ontario (September 13, 2005) / Albany, New York (May 12, 2006) / Hartford, CT (May 15, 2010) / Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013) / Worcester, MA (October 15, 2013) / Worcester, MA (October 16, 2013) / Brooklyn, NY (October 19, 2013) / Boston 1 (August 05, 2016) / Boston 2 (August 07, 2016) / MSG, NY (September 11, 2022)
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,819
    experience always always always trumps things. 

however, if you started this thread, it's likely you already know the answer:

you'll have a fantastic time on your vacation, you'll convince yourself you don't regret it, but then 2 years from now you'll be ISO this poster again at twice the price you can get for it now. 

go on the vacation anyway. just formulate a budget and commit to paying down a small line of credit with very small interest rate over the next year or two. 

if you can't do that, sell the poster. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,156
    I regretted selling one for a price which at the time was much higher than previous sales but it wasn't super rare so I was able to find another one. If it had been an extremely limited edition or one of my top pieces I probably wouldn't have sold it in the first place. 
  • Options
    Thank you, everyone!
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Not for a poster, but for another collection. My parents like antique shopping, and always bought me any Mason's RootBeer item they would find. Most of it from the 50s and 60s. Through 40 years I have a giant collection, probably 500 bottles of various styles and sizes, 6 and 12-pack cartons, clocks, thermometers, etc. About 5 years ago I sold a clock a couple thermometers and a few other random advertising stuff they used back then for about $1200 I think. Even though I needed the money at the time, I immediately regretted it. The guy called a few days later and asked if he could look at my collection again and buy some more, I told him no. 
    It was a weird feeling, I thought I had way too much of this Mason's RootBeer stuff, I didnt know what to do with it. But as soon as I sold a small fraction of what I had I missed all the memories of getting them through the years. The key was I had memories associated with a lot of it and it reminds me of my parents. If I didn't, I wouldn't care. And if I could sell something that would pay for a trip that brings new memories with my family I would do that. 
  • Options
    garland09garland09 Posts: 830
    I’ve been thinning the vinyl and poster collection.  I have zero remorse as I’ve been funding projects around the house.  I hardly listen to my records anymore and the poster just sat in a flat file.  You can always remember the concerts you attended and the vacation too.
  • Options
    garland09 said:
    I’ve been thinning the vinyl and poster collection.  I have zero remorse as I’ve been funding projects around the house.  I hardly listen to my records anymore and the poster just sat in a flat file.  You can always remember the concerts you attended and the vacation too.
    i keep going back and forth on this. I have these posters, just sitting in a portfolio I don't even look at. why? I don't have enough room to hang them all. so what's the point?

I might thin the herd again soon. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    garland09 said:
    i keep going back and forth on this. I have these posters, just sitting in a portfolio I don't even look at. why? I don't have enough room to hang them all. so what's the point?

Get rid of em.

I have a few I do want to keep and the rest are being let go.
  • Options
    garland09 said:

Get rid of em.

I don't have many. it's just that some of these that I have are smaller time canadian shows (non-PJ), and those come up so rarely, if ever. 

wish I had access to a great scanner so I could just upload em and be done with it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    garland09 said:

Get rid of em.

That '98 LA is pretty ugly. Let me help you out. 
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    garland09 said:

Get rid of em.

That '98 LA is pretty ugly. Let me help you out. 
    That is one of the few I am keeping.

First show.  You should have bought one when I had 4 of them!
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    God ive sold all my posters for  next to fuck all. And yes i regret it
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,892
    Im fact i have vinyls im gonna sell. I never even look at them  let alone play them 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    God ive sold all my posters for  next to fuck all. And yes i regret it
    Im fact i have vinyls im gonna sell. I never even look at them  let alone play them 
    given post #1 in this series, I would hesitate to follow through on post #2. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    garland09 said:

Get rid of em.

Where are said items going up for sale???? I imagine you've got some great stuff and would love to get a crack at it.  Will there be a tempo n groove pop up shop? 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    garland09 said:

Get rid of em.

Where are said items going up for sale???? I imagine you've got some great stuff and would love to get a crack at it.  Will there be a tempo n groove pop up shop? 
    on2legs said:
    garland09 said:

Get rid of em.

YARD SALE!

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited May 2021
    A Franken-Telecaster my father gave me that was built by Phil Petillo and played by Bruce Springsteen. I did not personally sell the item, but I gave my stepmother permission to sell it when she needed money to pay the bills after he died. (They had been holding it for me while I was in a tiny apartment.)

At any rate, I began some detective work, and I know that someone bought it from World of Music in Erie, Pennsylvania, in 2005. World of Music still had my stepmother's name on file as the person they bought it from, but they don't keep such records for folks to whom they've sold the instrument -- or at least, they would not share that information.

The other thing I did sell personally, and it was another gift from my father. It was a Georges Chanot violin that helped me pay some bills while I figured out what the hell I wanted to do with my life. I sold it to Ilya Rutman in Boston around 2003, maybe 2004. I'll never learn to play the violin, but it would be nice to have around in case my kids decide to take up the instrument.

Also, I miss my father, and I still haven't figured out what the hell I want to do with my life.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    A Franken-Telecaster my father gave me that was built by Phil Petillo and played by Bruce Springsteen. I did not personally sell the item, but I gave my stepmother permission to sell it when she needed money to pay the bills after he died. (They had been holding it for me while I was in a tiny apartment.)

At any rate, I began some detective work, and I know that someone bought it from World of Music in Erie, Pennsylvania, in 2005. World of Music still had my stepmother's name on file as the person they bought it from, but they don't keep such records for folks to whom they've sold the instrument -- or at least, they would not share that information.

The other thing I did sell personally, and it was another gift from my father. It was a Georges Chanot violin that helped me pay some bills while I figured out what the hell I wanted to do with my life. I sold it to Ilya Rutman in Boston around 2003, maybe 2004. I'll never learn to play the violin, but it would be nice to have around in case my kids decide to take up the instrument.

Also, I miss my father, and I still haven't figured out what the hell I want to do with my life.
    those are insanely tough sells. totally get that. sorry it was necessary. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    dankind said:

Small world… I grew up about 2 blocks from the Pettillo house/workshop and went to school with his sons.  I was in the workshop a few times as kid but had no appreciation for what was going on in there at the time.  We played a ton of pickup basketball in their driveway. Phil’s wife was super nice and would go out of her way to crochet baby gifts when my kids were born.  

1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,532
    I collected the vinyls (Benaroya, lost dogs, etc...) and all the posters for the 100+ shows I've been to.  I decided to sell the vinyls and sell about 80 of the posters.  Once you sell one item the rest are a lot easier to sell.  I've only had one item that I sold that I regret (the 2000 Chicago Missing LInk poster) and that is moreso because of the value it probably is today and not any personal connection to the item.  It is a bootleg item in my eyes.   I am very glad I got out of the collecting game.  Made some decent money off it too so not all bad.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,865
    I hated selling the wrigley Harry Caray Monkey, but I knew I would never hang it, so someone else shouldve had it
  • Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,339
    'Sold an AP Pittsburgh 2013 when I saw the price they were going for just over a year ago. I replaced it's spot on the wall with another Pearl Jam poster from my small collection. I just couldn't pass up that amount of money. I have zero regret. 
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,865
    Sold the pitt 13 too loved it,but when I found an art error in Munks drawing I couldnt look at it the same
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,115
    I've never really sold anything.  I guess I've been lucky I haven't had too.  The biggest thing I did was frame a Portland 2000 poster I had to give to a friend as it was his first PJ show.