Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: MOVIE SEQUELS - ROUND 3

Comments

• Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,017
    edited May 2021
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    The Dark Knight is so convoluted. Lose Two-Face and add more Joker (the only good thing about the movie) and it’s be so much better.
    As I said, split it up in two. Have the cliffhanger be Aaron with half his face off.

Who hasn't checked out when there are prisonerns on a ferry in like act 45 of the film... NO ONE. EVERYONE HAS CHECKED OUT IN CHRISTOPHER NOLANS ABOMINATION.
    I agree with both of these statements. Have Harvey be Harvey throughout, burn his face near the end, and literally the final shot of the movie could be him revealing the burned half of his face. 

And the ferry part is so contrived. As is Joker’s escape from the interrogation room, and the way Harvey is burned (the “save one or the other” stuff)
    Yes. The movie should have ended with Harveys face burning off and Katie Holmes/Gyllenhaals characters just having died. End on that note. 

Not have it some weird midpoint.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    dankind said:
    Nicholson's Joker was a homicidal maniac who made jokes -- you know, like in the comics.
    Nicholson was an R-rated version of Cesar Romero.

And it worked for the Burton take on the universe. I prefer Returns though.

Wish we would have gotten a third movie by Burton/Keaton.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE
    tbergs said:
    The best Joker was from the 90's animated series. That show was awesome.
    This is indisputable.

Mark Hamill FTW!!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    edited May 2021
    dankind said:
    And the convenience of the plot is so up the scriptwriters ass.
    mcgruff10 said:
    The Dark Knight was overrated from the get-go.
    Totally agree.
    Non comic book readers I take it?
    Was thinking maybe it would align with Miller since it approximated the title, but no.

Nicholson's Joker was a homicidal maniac who made jokes -- you know, like in the comics.

Ledger's Joker was a wannabe homicidal maniac who wore makeup -- you know, like in a cheap psychological thriller.
    The only “Jokerish” thing he does is throw the drink over his shoulder and take a sip from the empty glass. 

I listed some contrived scenes in a previous post. Another one is the pencil trick. “Hey henchmen, walk over towards him so he smash your face into a pencil.” 

I saw an above post mention an animated Joker as one of the best. I’d we’re including non-live action Jokers, I’d throw the Joker from the Arkham video games in there…also voiced by Mark Hamill 
    Post edited by Ledbetterman10 on
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    Mark Hamill shouldn't have done that shitty Child's Play remake though.

NEVER FORGET
  • Options

NEVER FORGET
    The first Child's Play was perfect.

Bill Butler is a mood genius.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    ALIENS
    dankind said:

NEVER FORGET

Yes, first Child's Play doesn't deserve to be grouped with the rest of the series. Such is the trend with horror movie franchises in general.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    ALIENS
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Totally agree.
    Was thinking maybe it would align with Miller since it approximated the title, but no.

Ledger's Joker was a wannabe homicidal maniac who wore makeup -- you know, like in a cheap psychological thriller.
    The only “Jokerish” thing he does is throw the drink over his shoulder and take a sip from the empty glass. 

I listed some contrived scenes in a previous post. Another one is the pencil trick. “Hey henchmen, walk over towards him so he smash your face into a pencil.” 

I saw an above post mention an animated Joker as one of the best. I’d we’re including non-live action Jokers, I’d throw the Joker from the Arkham video games in there…also voiced by Mark Hamill 
    Mark Hamill had it nailed.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Totally agree.

Mark Hamill had it nailed.
    My eight-year-old wants to play Arkham Asylum so badly, but I'm fairly certain it will give him nightmares.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    dankind said:

NEVER FORGET

Yes. One of those "Gritty New York" thrillers. It just happens to include a killer doll. And it takes itself 100% serious. Without remembering Candyman too much, I used to put Child's Play/Candyman together sharing that urban grittieness. 

The second Child's Play is good too albeit lacks some of the grit and darkness. It keeps that stress you feel of the kid not being believed. The stress you also feel during A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Did not know Bill Butler shot it, if it is the cinematographer of Jaws.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Hobbes said:
    This is completely wrong.

Any fan of The Batman was waiting for a Joker performance that wasn't Jack Nicholsons or Tim Burtons abomination(fun at the time though).
    It is the highest ranked of any Batman film. 

You sir, are not to be taken seriously.
    You are not to be taken seriously. What an absurd statement. Take solace knowing you are both wrong.

Any fan of The Batman was waiting for a Joker performance that wasn't Jack Nicholsons or Tim Burtons abomination(fun at the time though).

Yeah, this is a dumb post. 

That PG13 "let's play pretend we are a serious drama" HEAT-ripoff should have been split up in two movies for one.

And that is is the "highest ranked" (Whatever that means) just works more in my favor about it being overrated. Which it is.
    Nobody that read the comics didn't love the Dark Knight.

If you've ever read Killing Joke/Arkham Asylum or anything from Moore like Dark Knight Returns then this was THE Batman movie you enjoyed.  It continued the darker side of Batman and finally showed the Joker as a true psychopath and not a colorful cartoon clown.
    This sentence hurt my brain.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

You are not to be taken seriously. What an absurd statement. Take solace knowing you are both wrong.

That PG13 "let's play pretend we are a serious drama" HEAT-ripoff should have been split up in two movies for one.

And that is is the "highest ranked" (Whatever that means) just works more in my favor about it being overrated. Which it is.

If you've ever read Killing Joke/Arkham Asylum or anything from Moore like Dark Knight Returns then this was THE Batman movie you enjoyed.  It continued the darker side of Batman and finally showed the Joker as a true psychopath and not a colorful cartoon clown.
    Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee?
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    ALIENS
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

If you understood it then it worked.

Not my best I assure you and went to edit it but declined, lol.

"If you read the comics then you LOVED the Dark Knight."

Better?
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

Better?
    Your statement is still wrong. Just a different kind of wrong.
  • Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Here's a song poking fun and nit-picking at the Dark Knight. Pretty in-line with my views of the movie....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbgLapRAloQ

2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    If you know anything about good taste, movie structure and what makes things great,

you find The Dark Knight to be overrated. 

Not the same as "worthless". 

But overrated. And worse than Batman Begins. 
  • Options
    ALIENS
    mcgruff10 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Totally agree.
    I read some comics but not a heck of a lot.  
    Some Great reads:

Arkham Asylum-McKeans art is superb and did Sandman comics too
    The Killing Joke
    The Dark Knight Returns
    Legends of The Dark Knight

Basically anything Alan Moore and Frank Miller did.

• Options
    ALIENS
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

Better?
    Am I wrong that you actually read the comics?
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    dankind said:

NEVER FORGET

Yes. One of those "Gritty New York" thrillers. It just happens to include a killer doll. And it takes itself 100% serious. Without remembering Candyman too much, I used to put Child's Play/Candyman together sharing that urban grittieness. 

The second Child's Play is good too albeit lacks some of the grit and darkness. It keeps that stress you feel of the kid not being believed. The stress you also feel during A Nightmare on Elm Street.

Chicago, as was Candyman.

Can't wait for the new Candyman (reboot? sequel?) this summer.

https://youtu.be/tlwzuZ9kOQU
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    dankind said:
    dankind said:

NEVER FORGET

Chicago, as was Candyman.

Can't wait for the new Candyman (reboot? sequel?) this summer.

https://youtu.be/tlwzuZ9kOQU
    I know Candyman takes place in Chicago.

But always pictured Child's Play to be New York?

Haven't seen it in yeeeeeeeeears though
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    I loooooved Candyman. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    ALIENS
    Original Candyman was excellent. That was back when my gf, now wife, was willing to watch scary movies with me.
  • Options
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    "In 1988, homicide detective Mike Norris chases fugitive and serial killer Charles Lee Ray through the streets of South Side, Chicago, shooting him multiple times and hitting him. Charles's accomplice, Eddie Caputo, escapes alone in a getaway vehicle. Charles breaks into a toy store where Mike fatally shoots him again. A dying Charles performs a Haitian voodoo spell to transfer his soul to one of the Good Guy dolls, causing the store to be struck by lightning and explode. Mike survives the explosion and re-enters the store, only to find Charles's corpse and the doll."

Yeah Chicago... well then there is even more reason to connect the two.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

Better?
    Am I wrong that you actually read the comics?
    To be honest, I take more issue with your previous Burton abomination statement. You lost credibility. And yes, read the comics but did not LOVE the Dark Knight.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    THE DARK KNIGHT
    People talking about The Kiling Joke or The Dark Knight Returns like it is Neil Young's Harvest.

Neil Young's Harvest, they are not.
  • Options
    Hey, No. 1, Nolan sucks!

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    ALIENS
    dankind said:
    Hobbes said:
    Hobbes said:

Nobody doesn't like Sara Lee?
    Everybody doesn't like something.....
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    ALIENS
    dankind said:
    Hey, No. 1, Nolan sucks!

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Now read The Sandman Preludes and Nocturnes for another dark and good read if you haven't.

I know you're a nerd.  I bought a Sam Keith signed Batman at the last Comicon.  Was really stoked about that.  He was out to lunch so I didn't meet him...  Met Neal Adams though!
  • Options
    ALIENS
    People talking about The Kiling Joke or The Dark Knight Returns like it is Neil Young's Harvest.

Neil Young's Harvest, they are not.
    Not a Neil fan so I can't relate...
  • Options
    ALIENS
    dankind said:
    Hey, No. 1, Nolan sucks!

HAHAHAHA!!!!

Now read The Sandman Preludes and Nocturnes for another dark and good read if you haven't.

I know you're a nerd.  I bought a Sam Keith signed Batman at the last Comicon.  Was really stoked about that.  He was out to lunch so I didn't meet him...  Met Neal Adams though!
    Best graphic novels ever! I do love most anything Neil Gaiman though. I don't buy many reading materials to keep anymore, but I had to get the Omnibus volumes I & II a few years back:

They sit on the bookshelf next to PJ 20. I see there is a volume III now too, but it's a lot of extras and miscellaneous works not entirely centered on Sandman.

This discussion has been closed.