Options

Favorite Time Travel Movie

Comments

• Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    Back to the Future
    tbergs said:
    Here's some Back To The Future trivia for everybody. Don't look it up, because now with the internet, there's like websites dedicated to this. But when I figured it out in the early 90's just by watching these three movies on VHS, I thought it was a big deal and would commonly ask this of BTTF fans.

The question.....

At what I estimate to be between 3pm and 5pm on November 12, 1955 (for reference, it'd be the scene in Part 2 where Old Biff gives Young Biff the Sports Almanac), how many DeLorean time machines are there in Hill Valley?
    Hmmm, 4? I am thinking cave, old Biff, present Marty and past Marty. 

Edit: maybe 5 if I consider Doc's original, but I'm getting confused.
    Yep! No need for the edit, you got it the first time. A lot of people forget the one in the cave because it hadn't happened yet in the film sequence, but in the timeline, it's the first one that's there. 
    This is a bit tricky, because the one in the cave doesn't appear until Doc is struck by lightning, so I don't think it's possible to have the one in the cave put there by the Doc Brown who was transported back to 1885 and the "1985" Doc Brown who is in 1955 at the same time.  I think the answer should be 3.  One stationed in 1955 Doc Brown's lab.  One with old Biff.  One with 1985 Doc Brown.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally! Or maybe you are. 

I think there's two schools of thought: single timeline and cause/effect (multiple timelines). I'm going by single timeline and you're going by cause/effect. In cause/effect like you're saying, the DeLorean in the cave just appears out of thin air after Doc is struck by lightning. And him getting struck by lightning sets into motion events such as Marty being delivered the letter from 1885, and discovering the car in the cave the following day. 

In single timeline, it all goes chronologically. So the very first thing to happen in the timeline is Doc arrives in 1885. Then there's the events of BTTF3 that happen in 1885, and so on and so forth. Under that premise, the car has been buried since 1885. So when I'm watching the first movie and Marty is playing Johnny B. Goode, I'm picturing BTTF2 Marty climbing on the scaffold above, because I'm going off of one single timeline. Cause/effect has multiple timelines that change. So Marty playing guitar without another Marty above is one timeline, then the events of BTTF2 (cause) lead to there being a new timeline with a second Marty (effect). 

Now, my single timeline theory gets challenged by alternate timelines like the alternate 1985. But I argue that never even happened because that would be a reality set in motion by young Biff becoming rich with the almanac, but in the single timeline, Marty gets it back and burns it. 

I just think the single timeline is more fun to think about after you've seen these movies a millions time, The idea of the cave DeLorean appearing out of thin air following Doc being struck by lightning, while feasible I guess (matchbooks and newspaper articles change due to cause/effect), just isn't how I see it. To me, there was never a Twin Pines Mall. It was always Lone Pine Mall. 
     I want to premise my response is saying I love this discussion and I am a BTTF nerd!  Really this is getting heavy.

So I'm trying to think back in BTTF 2 when they end up in the alternative 1985 after old Biff gave the book to himself.  Even though Biff went back and gave the book to himself in 1955, the surroundings in 2015 did not change at all.  Your point about multiple timelines makes a lot of sense.  This is almost taking on a "Lost" type of feel now if we think of alternate dimensions.  I love this thought experiment so much!

I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    tbergs said:
    Here's some Back To The Future trivia for everybody. Don't look it up, because now with the internet, there's like websites dedicated to this. But when I figured it out in the early 90's just by watching these three movies on VHS, I thought it was a big deal and would commonly ask this of BTTF fans.

The question.....

At what I estimate to be between 3pm and 5pm on November 12, 1955 (for reference, it'd be the scene in Part 2 where Old Biff gives Young Biff the Sports Almanac), how many DeLorean time machines are there in Hill Valley?

Yep! No need for the edit, you got it the first time. A lot of people forget the one in the cave because it hadn't happened yet in the film sequence, but in the timeline, it's the first one that's there. 
    This is a bit tricky, because the one in the cave doesn't appear until Doc is struck by lightning, so I don't think it's possible to have the one in the cave put there by the Doc Brown who was transported back to 1885 and the "1985" Doc Brown who is in 1955 at the same time.  I think the answer should be 3.  One stationed in 1955 Doc Brown's lab.  One with old Biff.  One with 1985 Doc Brown.

I think there's two schools of thought: single timeline and cause/effect (multiple timelines). I'm going by single timeline and you're going by cause/effect. In cause/effect like you're saying, the DeLorean in the cave just appears out of thin air after Doc is struck by lightning. And him getting struck by lightning sets into motion events such as Marty being delivered the letter from 1885, and discovering the car in the cave the following day. 

In single timeline, it all goes chronologically. So the very first thing to happen in the timeline is Doc arrives in 1885. Then there's the events of BTTF3 that happen in 1885, and so on and so forth. Under that premise, the car has been buried since 1885. So when I'm watching the first movie and Marty is playing Johnny B. Goode, I'm picturing BTTF2 Marty climbing on the scaffold above, because I'm going off of one single timeline. Cause/effect has multiple timelines that change. So Marty playing guitar without another Marty above is one timeline, then the events of BTTF2 (cause) lead to there being a new timeline with a second Marty (effect). 

Now, my single timeline theory gets challenged by alternate timelines like the alternate 1985. But I argue that never even happened because that would be a reality set in motion by young Biff becoming rich with the almanac, but in the single timeline, Marty gets it back and burns it. 

I just think the single timeline is more fun to think about after you've seen these movies a millions time, The idea of the cave DeLorean appearing out of thin air following Doc being struck by lightning, while feasible I guess (matchbooks and newspaper articles change due to cause/effect), just isn't how I see it. To me, there was never a Twin Pines Mall. It was always Lone Pine Mall. 
    Chris Pratt What GIF

• Options
    Back to the Future
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:

The question.....

Chris Pratt What GIF

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    Back to the Future
    tbergs said:

The question.....

I want to premise my response is saying I love this discussion and I am a BTTF nerd!  Really this is getting heavy.

So I'm trying to think back in BTTF 2 when they end up in the alternative 1985 after old Biff gave the book to himself.  Even though Biff went back and gave the book to himself in 1955, the surroundings in 2015 did not change at all.  Your point about multiple timelines makes a lot of sense.  This is almost taking on a "Lost" type of feel now if we think of alternate dimensions.  I love this thought experiment so much!

I love it too. That’s why I always liked part 2 the best. The amount of time travel and pseudo science is so fun. As for 2015 not changing. I guess that would fall under the single timeline premise where young Biff gets the book at 4pm or so, and loses by 11pm or so. So he never actually gets to place a bet, and so the alternate 1985 never actually happens. So I guess only Doc and Marty, as the time travelers, would have any recollection of the alternate 1985. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    12 Monkeys
     I'm insane and you are my insanity”
  • Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2021
    Back to the Future
    dankind said:
    There's a cave in Hill Valley?
    Yes, where the doc hid the delorean when he went back to the wild west in part 3. Thos enables Marty to travel back in time to see him.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,878
    Back to the Future
    What about time travel tv shows?

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:
    There's a cave in Hill Valley?
    Yes, where the doc hid the delorean when he went back to the wild west in part 3. Thos enables Marty to travel back in time to see him.
    Oh yeah, I’ve never seen the third. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Other

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    I loved Quantum Leap. I try to catch the reruns when I see them. Haven’t seen it in a while though. 
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Other
    dankind said:

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL

I know there are 60 seasons of Dr Who and they change up the Doc and it is British and all of that.

Sam, Al, and Ziggy rule TV time travel.
    (Unless you count flashbacks, in which case Magnum PI wins.)
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Other
    dankind said:

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL

I know there are 60 seasons of Dr Who and they change up the Doc and it is British and all of that.

What about Voyagers and Phineas Bogg?!?
  • Options
    Other
    dankind said:

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL

Good stuff.
    Sam, Al, and Ziggy still get my vote.
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Time Bandits
    Source Code
    About Time

I dont remember a lot about “About Time” but that one part at the end hit pretty hard.  
  • Options
    Back to the Future
    dankind said:

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL

Good stuff.

Does anyone know if there is a streaming service playing Quantum Leap?
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,242
    dankind said:

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    QL

Good stuff.

Does anyone know if there is a streaming service playing Quantum Leap?
    You can stream it on NBC app or site, but you have to endure ads.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Other

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?

Lost
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Other
    The time travel stuff on Lost was so good. Sawyer getting off the island in the 70's and continuing his career as a con man is the spin-off we needed. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Yep, Lost for the win.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    Yep, Lost for the win.
    I am actually rewatching Lost now. I hadn’t seen it since it originally aired. I just started season 3. There was a lot I had forgotten. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,006
    Other
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    Yep, Lost for the win.
    I am actually rewatching Lost now. I hadn’t seen it since it originally aired. I just started season 3. There was a lot I had forgotten. 
    LIke how bad it ended?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Other
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    Yep, Lost for the win.

Is it good the second time around or I should say after this long? I was watched this show all the way thru 3 times (last re-watch was 2013 ) . My wife and I were talking about the idea of re-watching it but I question the long seasons ( 26 episodes in season 1 ) with the way TV has transformed with 10 episode seasons. Does it feel like a lot of filler or still a great time?

That said to me the last five episodes of season 3 and forward are the best of lost and yes I still loved the last season of it.

• Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,919
    Other
    We watched it a few years ago because my fiancé had never seen it. Season 1 absolutely holds up. Season 2 dragged a bit IIRC but most all of the good stuff throughout was still good. The final season was better than I remembered it. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    Yep, Lost for the win.

Is it good the second time around or I should say after this long? I was watched this show all the way thru 3 times (last re-watch was 2013 ) . My wife and I were talking about the idea of re-watching it but I question the long seasons ( 26 episodes in season 1 ) with the way TV has transformed with 10 episode seasons. Does it feel like a lot of filler or still a great time?

That said to me the last five episodes of season 3 and forward are the best of lost and yes I still loved the last season of it.

Season 3 was great and heartbreaking. That's the Charlie season, right? I too enjoyed it until the end.
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    12 Monkeys

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    Sliders
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    Yep, Lost for the win.

I am enjoying it the second time around. The seasons are long. However, I am not a binge watcher of anything. I like to stretch it out. So I watch 1 or at the most 2 episodes a day. I have been mainly watching while I eat lunch (I work at home). So, it will take me a few months to get through it all, which I like. 

SPOILERS AHEAD

Since I haven’t seen it in so long it is almost like watching a fresh show. I know some heartbreaking deaths are coming up and I may have to skip those or fast forward through. I remembered Boone but I had forgotten what happened to Shannon, Libby, and Ana Lucia. So those snuck up on me. I remember liking the 1970s episodes so looking forward to getting to that point. 
  • Options
    Other
    tbergs said:
    Matts3221 said:
    GlowGirl said:
    tbergs said:
    Yep, Lost for the win.

Season 3 was great and heartbreaking. That's the Charlie season, right? I too enjoyed it until the end.

Yup " NOT PENNEYS BOAT"  just got chills just writing that.
  • Options
    Back to the Future
    MayDay10 said:

Quantum Leap or Dr. Who?
    Sliders
    Yes, Quantum Leap and Sliders, both amazing!!!
  • Options
    Back to the Future