Options

Favorite Time Travel Movie

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Other
    JPPJ84 said:
    Matts3221 said:

Looper
    Source Code
    Timeline ( insanely bad while also being great )

Timeline (the book) is amazing, the movie not so much

Agree that the book was very enjoyable and the movie was crud....but I am down with some stuff that is bad and good so I get what Matts is saying.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    Other
    Avengers: Endgame.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,029
    Bill and Ted’s Excellent Adventure
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    A little bias as I grew up in San dimas, went to San dimas high, my dad worked at the San dimas sheriff station when it came out. Used to walk to that circle k a lot.
    We don’t have a mall, we do have a water park (raging waters) but a lot of it it the movie wasn’t that one. The auditorium scene was filmed at our rival school in La Verne.
    Third movie was a disappointment, but pretty much what I expected at this point.
    Bogus journey, where their bad selves push them off the cliff is my favorite place on earth.  Vasquez Rocks.  We used to repel off the top of it.
    Been there a few times, drove by it a bunch. Lots of movies and shows filmed there.
    But I had forgot about bogus journey being one.

my favorite song about time travel:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=GgD9FyE60hs
    I love when someone else has been there!  

If you hike the area and go back towards the freeway there is a spring and sometimes turns into a small running brook.  If you been there you may have seen it, if not next time I'm out that way I'll take you for a day hike.
    Would take you up but doubt I'll be back. Been 10 years since I lived in California and all my family has since moved too. My brother being the last, moving truck is coming today for him. Makes it hard to visit when family is spread everywhere now. Kind of bummed, lots of cool memories as a kid and young adult I would have liked to take my kids to. 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    When I was a kid, I loved Time After Time
    Haven’t seen that in years; loved it too. 

And yes to Time Bandits!
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,149
    Other
    Haven't seen Time Bandits... hmm

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Other
    What about:

I love Van Dammes run of big budget-films of the 90s.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,612
    12 Monkeys
    Out of that list, Id say 12 Monkees is the best movie.  Bill & Ted's and Back to the Future are more light-fun.

Time Bandits is great too, agreed... as are T1 and T2.

Any time Futurama does time travel stuff they do an amazing job at it.  
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    Other
    MayDay10 said:
     12 Monkees 

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier’s on fire today :lol:
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    Time Bandits
    Source Code
    About Time

Time Bandits.... very nice
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,197
    Pin by Julie Ann Beauty Pirate on Things that make me smile  laugh  Encino  man Pauly shore Man movies
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    Other
    JPPJ84 said:
    Matts3221 said:

Looper
    Source Code
    Timeline ( insanely bad while also being great )

Timeline (the book) is amazing, the movie not so much

Agree that the book was very enjoyable and the movie was crud....but I am down with some stuff that is bad and good so I get what Matts is saying.

Loved the book and great premise for a movie , it just had that balance of an awful movie but because of the material it was good , ahhh hard to explain F me gets what I am trying to say here :)

• Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited May 2021
    Back to the Future
    MedozK said:
    Time Bandits
    Source Code
    About Time

I forgot The Lake House.  I'd recommend Time Bandits @Spiritual_Chaos but it mght look a bit dated now. I vaguely remember Robert De Niro. In my opinion it's a lot better than Terry Gilliam's more recent films.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,261
    FiveBelow said:
    Pin by Julie Ann Beauty Pirate on Things that make me smile  laugh  Encino  man Pauly shore Man movies
    This one popped in to my head too, but I don't think we see any actual time travel on screen. Enjoyed it when I was younger for sure.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    MedozK said:
    Time Bandits
    Source Code
    About Time

I forgot The Lake House.  I'd recommend Time Bandits @Spiritual_Chaos but it mght look a bit dated now. I vaguely remember Robert De Niro. In my opinion it's a lot better than Terry Gilliam's more recent films.
    Brazil is a classic
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    Back to the Future
    JPPJ84 said:
    A lot of choices.
    Terminator
    Groundhogs Day
    Idiocracy
    Star Trek

Some fucked up movies from books I really loved about time travel also.....great category.
    How is Groundhog Day a time travel movie?
    Star Trek though is an excellent choice!
    Stuck in the same loop....did he not repeat the same day over and over?  Isn't a Temporal Loop time travel?
    To me that is time travel, for him....even if everyone else cannot realize it.
    I guess that could be voted down?

I never considered Groundhog Day a time travel movie before, but I can see where it might be considered one i guess? :confounded:
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    edited May 2021
    Back to the Future
    This movie was surprisingly pretty good (was on Netflix), Time Trap

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    Of those listed, probably Back to the Future.  But this is a strong contender for me as well:
    Interstellar film posterjpg

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    Of those listed, probably Back to the Future.  But this is a strong contender for me as well:

If it qualifies, that is my pick as well. Great movie.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,773
    tbergs said:
    brianlux said:

If it qualifies, that is my pick as well. Great movie.

I would say so, T.  It's not a typical time-travel film, but there are aspects that lean toward time-travel (or maybe time-displacement?)

And, oh man!  Here's one I almost forgot about.  It definitely qualifies and I could see choosing this as my favorite!  Love this movie!
    Midnight in Paris and the Horrifying Effects of Writers Block  by Ben  DAlessio  Medium

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,748
    Back to the Future
    B2TF Trilogy. Bill and Ted 1&2 are a close 2nd. 
    Same here. Love Bill and Ted. But I was obsessed with Back to the Future. Probably prefer it because there’s more time-travel and pseudo science. Especially in part 2
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    Other
    Do we count Donnie Darko?
  • Options
    Other
    If Groundhog day counts. This one felt very cheap, but had a fun premise:

• Options
    Back to the Future
    Here's some Back To The Future trivia for everybody. Don't look it up, because now with the internet, there's like websites dedicated to this. But when I figured it out in the early 90's just by watching these three movies on VHS, I thought it was a big deal and would commonly ask this of BTTF fans.

The question.....

At what I estimate to be between 3pm and 5pm on November 12, 1955 (for reference, it'd be the scene in Part 2 where Old Biff gives Young Biff the Sports Almanac), how many DeLorean time machines are there in Hill Valley?
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,667
    Other
    If Groundhog day counts. This one felt very cheap, but had a fun premise:

We didn't get a ruling from folks (or from Chris as the OP) on Temporal Loops counting as time travel. 
    I would consider this, since I counted Groundhog's Day.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Here's some Back To The Future trivia for everybody. Don't look it up, because now with the internet, there's like websites dedicated to this. But when I figured it out in the early 90's just by watching these three movies on VHS, I thought it was a big deal and would commonly ask this of BTTF fans.

The question.....

At what I estimate to be between 3pm and 5pm on November 12, 1955 (for reference, it'd be the scene in Part 2 where Old Biff gives Young Biff the Sports Almanac), how many DeLorean time machines are there in Hill Valley?
    Hmmm, 4? I am thinking cave, old Biff, present Marty and past Marty. 

Edit: maybe 5 if I consider Doc's original, but I'm getting confused.
    Post edited by tbergs on
  • Options
    Back to the Future
    tbergs said:

The question.....

Yep! No need for the edit, you got it the first time. A lot of people forget the one in the cave because it hadn't happened yet in the film sequence, but in the timeline, it's the first one that's there. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,503
    edited May 2021
    Back to the Future
    tbergs said:

The question.....

Yep! No need for the edit, you got it the first time. A lot of people forget the one in the cave because it hadn't happened yet in the film sequence, but in the timeline, it's the first one that's there. 
    This is a bit tricky, because the one in the cave doesn't appear until Doc is struck by lightning, so I don't think it's possible to have the one in the cave put there by the Doc Brown who was transported back to 1885 and the "1985" Doc Brown who is in 1955 at the same time.  I think the answer should be 3.  One stationed in 1955 Doc Brown's lab.  One with old Biff.  One with 1985 Doc Brown.

Post edited by Glorified KC on
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    Back to the Future
    tbergs said:

The question.....

This is a bit tricky, because the one in the cave doesn't appear until Doc is struck by lightning, so I don't think it's possible to have the one in the cave put there by the Doc Brown who was transported back to 1885 and the "1985" Doc Brown who is in 1955 at the same time.  I think the answer should be 3.  One stationed in 1955 Doc Brown's lab.  One with old Biff.  One with 1985 Doc Brown.

You're not thinking 4th dimensionally! Or maybe you are. 

I think there's two schools of thought: single timeline and cause/effect (multiple timelines). I'm going by single timeline and you're going by cause/effect. In cause/effect like you're saying, the DeLorean in the cave just appears out of thin air after Doc is struck by lightning. And him getting struck by lightning sets into motion events such as Marty being delivered the letter from 1885, and discovering the car in the cave the following day. 

In single timeline, it all goes chronologically. So the very first thing to happen in the timeline is Doc arrives in 1885. Then there's the events of BTTF3 that happen in 1885, and so on and so forth. Under that premise, the car has been buried since 1885. So when I'm watching the first movie and Marty is playing Johnny B. Goode, I'm picturing BTTF2 Marty climbing on the scaffold above, because I'm going off of one single timeline. Cause/effect has multiple timelines that change. So Marty playing guitar without another Marty above is one timeline, then the events of BTTF2 (cause) lead to there being a new timeline with a second Marty (effect). 

Now, my single timeline theory gets challenged by alternate timelines like the alternate 1985. But I argue that never even happened because that would be a reality set in motion by young Biff becoming rich with the almanac, but in the single timeline, Marty gets it back and burns it. 

I just think the single timeline is more fun to think about after you've seen these movies a millions time, The idea of the cave DeLorean appearing out of thin air following Doc being struck by lightning, while feasible I guess (matchbooks and newspaper articles change due to cause/effect), just isn't how I see it. To me, there was never a Twin Pines Mall. It was always Lone Pine Mall. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    There's a cave in Hill Valley?
    I SAW PEARL JAM