Options

Milton Keynes 2014

Listened to this today. Band on good form (2014 was a v good year I think), but Ed sounded super worried/frustrated trying to keep the crowd under control. Was anyone here there? Was it as rough at times as it looked to Ed? Did that spoil things, or was it still a good gig in person?

Comments

• Options
    beano.79beano.79 Posts: 663
    It was a great show, and I don't remember any worrying crowd behaviour... Although I was closer to the mixing desk than the front. I remember Ed had an issue with a 'large' guy crowd surfing over the top of a much smaller woman....to be honest, and VERY understandably they are really sensitive to any kind of slight rough and tumble that is common at gigs. So I'd say the crowd was normal but Ed is finely tuned into anything going on.

Last time I saw them... Roll on Hyde park 22
  • Options
    Glad to hear it was a great one. Hearing the crowd on the boot chant “you fat bastard” after Ed called out the big dude attempting to crowd surf was funny. Let’s no one dig too deep into the origin of that chant.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,960
    It was very rough at the front.  And at times  stupid. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    timbo1972timbo1972 Posts: 319
    There were a lot of pretty drunk guys in the mid to front section. More ‘out for a day drinking in the sun with bands playing’ than ‘going to see bands and having a drink...’ I was 1/3 back from the stage to start with and moved twice due to beer spills and generally irritating behaviour. Moved back toward the hill and had a great day from there... until I tried to get out of the car park after the show:)
    14.10.2000 Houston, 09.09.2006 Marseilles, 11.09.2006 Paris, 18.06.2007 London, 17.08.2009 Manchester, 18.08.2009 London, 22.06.2010 Dublin, 23.06.2010 Belfast, 25.06.2010 London
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 835
    Wife and I were on the rail that goes down the middle (Mike's side) which was lucky. We got in early and would have been about 2 - 3 rows back on Mike's side but decided to take the rail about 10 people down.  Was very glad we had the rail because behind us the crowd was swirling around with big guys surfing over the top.
    Like has been said, some pretty drunk people by the time PJ came on. No way to stop people pushing forward either. 

When Ed ran down the middle in Porch there was an awful lot of pressure on the rail for a few minutes so I would think it was like that for most of the show on the front rail.

It was rough but no more rough than many up front shows. Copenhagen 07 left me very bruised and I remember me and a local guy having to lift a massive gentlemen over the rail as he was literally unable to stand he was so drunk. He pretty much face planted stage side.

Think it is often standard fair down the front frankly.  O2 in 2018 looked horrible from where I was - much worse than MK.

I prefer seats... !
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    i was there fantastic night and a superb setlist push me/pull me
    danny d
  • Options
    dannydanny Posts: 2,270
    danny said:
    i was there fantastic night and a superb setlist push me/pull me
    i meant leeds 
    danny d
  • Options
    The RockThe Rock Posts: 1,389
    I went to Leeds and MK that year.
    We were on Mike's side about 20 people deep and I didn't think it was that bad. Halfway through the show we decided to get drinks and hang further back and so we found a nice space much further back and had a great time dancing with loads of room!

The "you fat bastard" chant still makes me laugh. Ed got a chuckle out of it too.

Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns was unbelievable that night.
    2006: London Astoria, Lisbon I & II, Paris, Verona, Milano
    2007: Wembley, Dusseldorf, Copenhagen, Nijmegen
    2009: Manchester
    2010: Belfast, Berlin
    2012: Manchester I & II
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes
    2018: Amsterdam I, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Barcelona, London
    2022: Berlin, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam II