Auto-Save Draft feature temporarily disabled. Please be sure you manually save your post by selecting "Save Draft" if you have that need.

Live recording at home question for you pros!

So, my Macbook Pro died last summer, which was my main device for home recording. My set up would be using a Mackie pro mixer with live mics, running into my Macbook. My DAW has always been Garageband. Now without a portable device to track drums, guitars live, I need a portable device that:

1) I can track drums and guitars and that has some EQ settings. I would also be open to having this device connect to my Mackie (that has like 6 XLR inputs). I must be able to track using headphones.

2) I would like the ability to record a guitar track, etc., and have that playback as I track drums, bass, vocals, other instruments.

3) Ability to dump those recorded tracks into Garageband on my not so portable iMac for mixing, etc., etc., etc.,

My budget is around $250.
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 20,004
    Bought a 2011 MB Pro 17 inch with brand new Apple installed logic board. Looking forward to creating again! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 18,904
    Behringer FLOW 8 may fit your bill.  It's a 8-input digital mixer / audio interface that is very tiny.  It uses phone / ipad to compensate for some controls to save space and cost, but it retails at $250.  I was looking into it as a mixer / audio interface solution but I don't think it has hit the market yet.  I know the microchip shortage is impacting manufacturing everywhere. 

Ended up finding another solution with a Zoom Live Trak L-12 but that one costs $600.  It records to SD card as well so you can even skip the computer and focus on instruments.  I think the functionality makes it a bargain, but I've not spent enough time with it to endorse it yet.  It's also small and light enough to travel with.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance Posts: 20,004
    Jason P said:
    Behringer FLOW 8 may fit your bill.  It's a 8-input digital mixer / audio interface that is very tiny.  It uses phone / ipad to compensate for some controls to save space and cost, but it retails at $250.  I was looking into it as a mixer / audio interface solution but I don't think it has hit the market yet.  I know the microchip shortage is impacting manufacturing everywhere. 

Ended up finding another solution with a Zoom Live Trak L-12 but that one costs $600.  It records to SD card as well so you can even skip the computer and focus on instruments.  I think the functionality makes it a bargain, but I've not spent enough time with it to endorse it yet.  It's also small and light enough to travel with.
    Thanks a bunch for sharing that! I went back to my OG setup using my MB Pro with a Mackie VLZ mixer plugged in for live recording. I have 4 XLR lines which is good enough, especially when I pan each line a certain way, gives the drum track space and separation. I would love to get a USB interface, and more mics so I can record each drum kit part individually, but for now this suits my needs. Now I just need to start writing! 
    www.cluthelee.com