Live recording at home question for you pros!

2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
So, my Macbook Pro died last summer, which was my main device for home recording. My set up would be using a Mackie pro mixer with live mics, running into my Macbook. My DAW has always been Garageband. Now without a portable device to track drums, guitars live, I need a portable device that:

1) I can track drums and guitars and that has some EQ settings. I would also be open to having this device connect to my Mackie (that has like 6 XLR inputs). I must be able to track using headphones.

2) I would like the ability to record a guitar track, etc., and have that playback as I track drums, bass, vocals, other instruments.

3) Ability to dump those recorded tracks into Garageband on my not so portable iMac for mixing, etc., etc., etc.,

My budget is around $250.
www.cluthelee.com

Comments

• 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Bought a 2011 MB Pro 17 inch with brand new Apple installed logic board. Looking forward to creating again! 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    Behringer FLOW 8 may fit your bill.  It's a 8-input digital mixer / audio interface that is very tiny.  It uses phone / ipad to compensate for some controls to save space and cost, but it retails at $250.  I was looking into it as a mixer / audio interface solution but I don't think it has hit the market yet.  I know the microchip shortage is impacting manufacturing everywhere. 

Ended up finding another solution with a Zoom Live Trak L-12 but that one costs $600.  It records to SD card as well so you can even skip the computer and focus on instruments.  I think the functionality makes it a bargain, but I've not spent enough time with it to endorse it yet.  It's also small and light enough to travel with.
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,090
    Jason P said:
    Behringer FLOW 8 may fit your bill.  It's a 8-input digital mixer / audio interface that is very tiny.  It uses phone / ipad to compensate for some controls to save space and cost, but it retails at $250.  I was looking into it as a mixer / audio interface solution but I don't think it has hit the market yet.  I know the microchip shortage is impacting manufacturing everywhere. 

Ended up finding another solution with a Zoom Live Trak L-12 but that one costs $600.  It records to SD card as well so you can even skip the computer and focus on instruments.  I think the functionality makes it a bargain, but I've not spent enough time with it to endorse it yet.  It's also small and light enough to travel with.
    Thanks a bunch for sharing that! I went back to my OG setup using my MB Pro with a Mackie VLZ mixer plugged in for live recording. I have 4 XLR lines which is good enough, especially when I pan each line a certain way, gives the drum track space and separation. I would love to get a USB interface, and more mics so I can record each drum kit part individually, but for now this suits my needs. Now I just need to start writing! 
    www.cluthelee.com