Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 - FINALS

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
With Rolling Stone Magazine updating their Top 500 albums of all time, I figured since most of us don't exactly agree with lists, we could take a look at their Top 10 and establish the true best album of all-time.

So here we are in FINALS to determine the BEST album in the Rolling Stone Top 10.

You are going to pick the album that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days the song with the fewest votes will be awarded the BEST ALBUM OF ALL TIME.

Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 Albums of ALL-TIME
1. Marvin Gaye, 'What's Going On' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 3)
2. The Beach Boys, 'Pet Sounds' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 4)
3. Joni Mitchell, 'Blue' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 1)
4. Stevie Wonder, 'Songs in the Key of Life' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 4)
5. The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
6. Nirvana, 'Nevermind' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 3)
7. Fleetwood Mac, 'Rumours' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 2)
8. Prince and the Revolution, 'Purple Rain' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 2)
9. Bob Dylan, 'Blood on the Tracks'
10. Lauryn Hill, 'The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill' (ELIMINATED - ROUND 1)

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of Rolling Stone Magazine's Top 10 - FINALS 26 votes

The Beatles, 'Abbey Road'
34%
GlowGirldankindBLACK35eddiecPapbrianluxPJ_SoulRenfieldSmallestOceans 9 votes
Bob Dylan, 'Blood on the Tracks'
65%
2-feign-reluctancePoncierGibsoncutztbergspledgeagrievanceRP112579RS151862Abe Fromannicknyr15LoujoeF Me In The BrainHobbestempo_n_groovergambsNSLGlorified KC 17 votes

Comments

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,722
    Honestly, my first reaction is "two way tie for not first place".  Sorry, I don't mean to be a spoil sport!  I guess I have to go with Bob on this one but, wow...  But what the hey, it was fun.  Thanks for doing it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    brianlux said:
    Honestly, my first reaction is "two way tie for not first place".  Sorry, I don't mean to be a spoil sport!  I guess I have to go with Bob on this one but, wow...  But what the hey, it was fun.  Thanks for doing it!
    It was like pretty much every presidential election cycle during my lifetime. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Not a fan of either also but people thought Pet Sounds was weaker than these?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Pet Sounds for the win.
    Oh, these two?  Sorry, I don't click with Bobby D too much. 
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,793
    Thanks for another fun thread to pass the time.
    I can sit and listen to the beautifully illustrated stories Bob Dylan tells and quietly enjoy it. To me the Beatles just give life with lyrics and music. It uplifts me. Especially Maxwell's Siver Hammer. A happy catchy song about a killer!
    It's all good stuff depending on my mood. I haven't listened to either of these in a while anyway.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    So I just listened to Pet Sounds all the way through to make sure I was giving it a fair assessment.  Only heard most of it once or twice and was never very impressed.  Yeah, I stand by that.  I don't think it's a bad record, and I get how experimental it was, but I don't think it belongs even in the top ten.  The melodies are scattershot, unimpressive, and not at all memorable.  Experimenting is fine, but experiment with a melody worthy of experimentation. The only song that stands out is the only one that's still in Beach Boys rotation, Wouldn't It Be Nice.  The lyrics were ok, but only in substance and not in style. I didn't catch any clever turns of phrase or metaphors that grabbed me.  This may be a great record in it's ambition, but in execution it really seems pretty average. 

I really don't understand how anyone could match Pet Sounds against anything after Hard Day's Night from the Beatles, it's just not even a competition.  It makes me wonder if it's just classic hating on the beloved?  Gotta root for the underdog?  
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    So I just listened to Pet Sounds all the way through to make sure I was giving it a fair assessment.  Only heard most of it once or twice and was never very impressed.  Yeah, I stand by that.  I don't think it's a bad record, and I get how experimental it was, but I don't think it belongs even in the top ten.  The melodies are scattershot, unimpressive, and not at all memorable.  Experimenting is fine, but experiment with a melody worthy of experimentation. The only song that stands out is the only one that's still in Beach Boys rotation, Wouldn't It Be Nice.  The lyrics were ok, but only in substance and not in style. I didn't catch any clever turns of phrase or metaphors that grabbed me.  This may be a great record in it's ambition, but in execution it really seems pretty average. 

I really don't understand how anyone could match Pet Sounds against anything after Hard Day's Night from the Beatles, it's just not even a competition.  It makes me wonder if it's just classic hating on the beloved?  Gotta root for the underdog?  
    Hearing that the Beach Boys melodies are unimpressive is a first to me...
  • Options
    rgambs said:

Something a godless savage might say....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    rgambs said:

Something a godless savage might say....
    or someone that smokes too much kale...
  • Options
    Looks like Abbey Road's gonna win world world's greatest record.  AR is a fine record, for sure, but if it is the greatest record ever made, I'm going to throw out my whole record collection and start collecting matchbooks instead.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    rgambs said:

Are we talking about the same album? lol
    I'll bet you'd have to survey 1000 people on the street to find a single one who could hum a tune from Pet Sounds, if you exclude Wouldn't It Be Nice.  There isn't a hook to be found.  
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I'll bet you'd have to survey 1000 people on the street to find a single one who could hum a tune from Pet Sounds, if you exclude Wouldn't It Be Nice.  There isn't a hook to be found.  
    I think a lot of people would know "Good only Knows" and "Sloop John B."  But basing greatness on a simple hook or being able to hum a tune?  That makes an album great?  How much of  A Love Supreme or Kind of Blue can the average person hum?  I can hum some themes from both, but the average Jane or Joe on the street? No way.  And without question, those are also truly great albums.   I'm a bit surprised at your standard for assessment. 

• Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Sloop? when they sing "Let me go home" to a crescendo?  I'm waiting for the day?

I will say that yes most people will know Wouldn't it be nice.  Music enthusiasts like this.
  • Options
    If “You Still Believe in Me” doesn’t do it for you, you are a godless savage. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    dankind said:

I am a godless savage, but one that would pick Pet Sounds as the winner from these 10 choices.
    (FSM forgive me for such blasphemy!)
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

I think a lot of people would know "Good only Knows" and "Sloop John B."  But basing greatness on a simple hook or being able to hum a tune?  That makes an album great?  How much of  A Love Supreme or Kind of Blue can the average person hum?  I can hum some themes from both, but the average Jane or Joe on the street? No way.  And without question, those are also truly great albums.   I'm a bit surprised at your standard for assessment. 
    It isn't the basis for greatness, but it's definitely a factor.  A big one. 
    One of the biggest aspects of music (and all art) is it's ability to move people's hearts and lodge in their minds.  My reaction to obscure art is to wonder why, if it's so great, have I never heard of it?  Why didn't it move the needle enough to reach me? 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Sloop? when they sing "Let me go home" to a crescendo?  I'm waiting for the day?

I will say that yes most people will know Wouldn't it be nice.  Music enthusiasts like this.
    Classical enthusiasts like JN Hummel and Zelenka, but Beethoven and Bach are the ones that we remember, the names that will last for even more centuries.  Popular, memorable melodies that move the hearts of masses of people is the difference.
    Sloop John B will not last centuries in the hearts of mankind, quite a few Beatles songs almost certainly will.
    Don't get me wrong, popularity isn't everything.  Lil' Nas X dominated the charts for a record time, but history will not remember him lol
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I just listened to it 3 hours ago and I can't remember it. 

• Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

One of the biggest aspects of music (and all art) is it's ability to move people's hearts and lodge in their minds.  My reaction to obscure art is to wonder why, if it's so great, have I never heard of it?  Why didn't it move the needle enough to reach me? 
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Classical enthusiasts like JN Hummel and Zelenka, but Beethoven and Bach are the ones that we remember, the names that will last for even more centuries.  Popular, memorable melodies that move the hearts of masses of people is the difference.
    Sloop John B will not last centuries in the hearts of mankind, quite a few Beatles songs almost certainly will.
    Don't get me wrong, popularity isn't everything.  Lil' Nas X dominated the charts for a record time, but history will not remember him lol
    Since you know who Lil Nas X is, he WILL be remembered.  Just like All about that Bass Meagan Trainor is a household name.  Some songs withstand the test of time and is the reason I am trying to figure out why Paradise by the Dashboard Light is one of them?
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

The three records I mentioned- Pet Sounds, A Love Supreme and Kind of Blue- are anything but obscure.  You must know that, right?  And all three have moved many people's hearts and are lodge permanently in their minds.  Do yourself a favor and check them out. 

I wasn't a fan of jazz until I lived with a couple of roommates who were big into jazz.  I actually didn't like the music at first.  But with more and more exposure, it began to sink in.  Lights starting going on in my brain. 

I think a lot of people don't like certain great music simply because it's not familiar or maybe it's not as easy to get into, but when you do, the richness can be vast, the rewards huge, the pleasure can be almost overwhelming.  When I listen, for example, to A Love Supreme, I am overcome by its power, it's beauty and depth, and there are passages that open a floodgate of emotion.  I almost always cry at places in that music when I listen to it.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Since you know who Lil Nas X is, he WILL be remembered.  Just like All about that Bass Meagan Trainor is a household name.  Some songs withstand the test of time and is the reason I am trying to figure out why Paradise by the Dashboard Light is one of them?
    I am talking about generations...centuries... millennia
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

The most famous and predominantly referenced figures of our culture are white for a reason. That has only recently (the last 50+ years) began to change as the systems of oppression and racism have begun to be challenged and overturned. Just because you don't connect with a certain musician doesn't mean millions of other people won't be humming their tune.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,883
    This was a really hard decision. I love both the Beatles and Bob Dylan. I love the Beatles more, but Abbey Road is not my favorite Beatles album, while Blood on the Tracks is my favorite Dylan album.
  • Options
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

The most famous and predominantly referenced figures of our culture are white for a reason. That has only recently (the last 50+ years) began to change as the systems of oppression and racism have begun to be challenged and overturned. Just because you don't connect with a certain musician doesn't mean millions of other people won't be humming their tune.
    Of course!  But Lil Nas X isn't going to be one of them lol
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    tbergs said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Of course!  But Lil Nas X isn't going to be one of them lol
    Imma take my horse to the old town road...
    Ima ride until I can't no more.
  • Options
    I will proudly play William Hung to anyone whom will listen so posterity continues.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Dude, you don't chuckle at this?  Perhaps because of who I live with (and another who used to live with us) I do hear a lot of the radio hits.  This thing is funny as hell and an ear worm.  Good hook.

• Options
    rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

Dude, you don't chuckle at this?  Perhaps because of who I live with (and another who used to live with us) I do hear a lot of the radio hits.  This thing is funny as hell and an ear worm.  Good hook.

rgambs said:
    brianlux said:
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

rgambs said:
    rgambs said:

It definitely has the hook, haha 
    A little (lot) short on substance though lol

That's what makes greatness, IMO, substance and style together in harmony.
  • Options
    I just happened across this randomly, the last bit is perfect 😂😂
    https://thehardtimes.net/blog/man-doesnt-like-beatles-hes-interesting-god-dont-just-want-fuck-him/
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    I just happened across this randomly, the last bit is perfect 😂😂
    https://thehardtimes.net/blog/man-doesnt-like-beatles-hes-interesting-god-dont-just-want-fuck-him/
    hahahahah!!! The related article is great "I lived a week as Ian MacKaye and most people don't know who that is."

hahahahaha!!!
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    I think Google is stalking me again. Just linked this article for my reading leisure...

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/10-iconic-albums-that-initially-flopped/
    It's a hopeless situation...
This discussion has been closed.