Options

Report: Cuomo groped female aide in governor's residence

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    Does not compare.  

Of course it doesn't...

Then why bring it up?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,006
    Does not compare.  

Of course it doesn't...

Then why bring it up?

Because it is the same thing.  My response was rhetorical.  I fully expect anyone who is accused of something to be treated the same as everybody else, not because I might like or dislike that person or political party.

Saying it doesn't compare to me is wrong.
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    brianlux said:
    If Cuomo actually did what he has been accused of here, I say give him the boot.  But where here is the proof?  All I hear is you guys saying he did it.  Yes, I could go hunt down the evidence myself, but I'm not going to because you guys made the accusation, not me, and there has been no verifiable evidence presented here.  I'm going to be stubborn on this (and you know me, I am rarely stubborn) and not cut you any slack.  If you make an accusation, show the proof.  Otherwise, it's just gossip, and you people are/can be better than that.
    Be honest. Would you be saying this or asking these questions if it was , let’s say Ted Cruz being accused? 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,759
    This may very well be POOTWH's ace in the hole. Seems odd the allegations are only coming out now, while POOTWH is under intense scrutiny and likely facing charges in NY State.  A repub gubner could pardon him. That said, Andrew is an old, lonely, creepy guy and if the investigation or a civil suit determines the charges are credible, he should resign and face whatever consequences there may be. Timing is everything. Of which there should be some reform, for the accused and the accuser, but I don't profess to know what that solution would look like. I have ideas but its a complicated, multi-faceted and difficult issue.
    Ooooohhhhhh a conspiracy theory? Digging deep there 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    That sounds horribly unfair to the women involved.

Proof or nobody believes you.

Sort of supports the type of environment that powerful men can act like predators in and have for years.  

Why would a woman ever come forward if she doesn't have an assault recorded?

Throw out the anonymous claim and you still have women sharing stories of him being a creeper and sexually harassing some of them.

https://apnews.com/article/new-york-andrew-cuomo-6e3c286c9ccfde352fc7b15ae7be9f70

Reserving judgement is fine and can make sense....but demanding proof in cases like these is odd, to me.

Telling me I can be better than that is also pretty darn odd.  I believe that women have been held down with this thinking.

I choose to believe the stories of the victims and not the powerful, lying, politician.

Same as I believed those standing against Kevin Spacey.  Kobe Bryant.  Donald Trump.  Celebrity and power does not mean people can get away with it.  In the case of Cuomo he is a known liar.  (Fact)  So, should people just accept that when he says these women misinterpreted his creepiness that Cuomo is now an honest man?

Not this guy.

If this is the standard then Joe Biden needs to step down from President because he's a creep that hugs a little too long or sniffs womens hair.

What's good for one is good for all right?

Edit: he had accusers too.
    One not credible accuser in about 100 years of public life compared to multiple credible accusers.

Definitely not the same situations.
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,621
    edited March 2021
    Does not compare.  

Of course it doesn't...

Then why bring it up?

Because it is the same thing.  My response was rhetorical.  I fully expect anyone who is accused of something to be treated the same as everybody else, not because I might like or dislike that person or political party.

Are people who worked for Joe Biden making accusations?
    It is not the same thing.
    Did you read the article I posted?

I get that you think Cuomo is just flirting -- we can agree to disagree.  I think it is gross, and completely out of line for the leader to be doing this around his subordinates. 

Do you also feel there needs to be proof in order to believe women when they make claims of this type of behavior?
    If it is a he said she said....well, we know Cuomo is a liar. 
    Enough reason not to believe him.

Also.....political party or liking Cuomo has nothing to do with my view.  I voted for the great grandfather Biden out of horror at the alternative, but am not a Democrat.  I cheered like crazy for Cuomo as a voice of strength opposite insane clown leader Donny Diapers. 

I still think he is a fucking creep and believe the women coming forward over him. 
    Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Sort of supports the type of environment that powerful men can act like predators in and have for years.  

Throw out the anonymous claim and you still have women sharing stories of him being a creeper and sexually harassing some of them.

https://apnews.com/article/new-york-andrew-cuomo-6e3c286c9ccfde352fc7b15ae7be9f70

Reserving judgement is fine and can make sense....but demanding proof in cases like these is odd, to me.

Telling me I can be better than that is also pretty darn odd.  I believe that women have been held down with this thinking.

I choose to believe the stories of the victims and not the powerful, lying, politician.

Same as I believed those standing against Kevin Spacey.  Kobe Bryant.  Donald Trump.  Celebrity and power does not mean people can get away with it.  In the case of Cuomo he is a known liar.  (Fact)  So, should people just accept that when he says these women misinterpreted his creepiness that Cuomo is now an honest man?

Not this guy.

Sounds that way to me too. Perhaps I’m just sensitive to this touchy subject and, I don’t know...NOT BEING BELIEVED.

Thank you for your post, F Me. 
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

If this is the standard then Joe Biden needs to step down from President because he's a creep that hugs a little too long or sniffs womens hair.

One not credible accuser in about 100 years of public life compared to multiple credible accusers.

So what exactly makes an accuser credible? Serious question.  If there is evidence then hopefully there will be a trial.  What differentiates this and say Kavanaugh? I dislike hypocritical republicans as much as the next guy but we can’t say that only those that accuse republicans are credible, that’s ludicrous.  We probably wouldn’t have got here if they would have found Clinton guilty and set a precedent in the days of Monica, but here we are.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Does not compare.  

Of course it doesn't...

Then why bring it up?

Are people who worked for Joe Biden making accusations?
    It is not the same thing.
    Did you read the article I posted?

I get that you think Cuomo is just flirting -- we can agree to disagree.  I think it is gross, and completely out of line for the leader to be doing this around his subordinates. 

Do you also feel there needs to be proof in order to believe women when they make claims of this type of behavior?
    If it is a he said she said....well, we know Cuomo is a liar. 
    Enough reason not to believe him.

Also.....political party or liking Cuomo has nothing to do with my view.  I voted for the great grandfather Biden out of horror at the alternative, but am not a Democrat.  I cheered like crazy for Cuomo as a voice of strength opposite insane clown leader Donny Diapers. 

I still think he is a fucking creep and believe the women coming forward over him. 
    An accusation is an accusation whether it's at work or not.  That is my point.

Cuomo being in his position, especially since signing into NY law that sexual harassments in the work place be acknowledged, should know better.

Reading the women's accounts are flirting to me but some are definitely more aggressive.  Keanu Reeves when taking pictures w women will hold his hand behind their back and never actually touch them.  We are in a much different society now.

Being that I think it is flirting still has no place at work, you are correct there.  Maybe he does need to go for that.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

So what exactly makes an accuser credible? Serious question.  If there is evidence then hopefully there will be a trial.  What differentiates this and say Kavanaugh? I dislike hypocritical republicans as much as the next guy but we can’t say that only those that accuse republicans are credible, that’s ludicrous.  We probably wouldn’t have got here if they would have found Clinton guilty and set a precedent in the days of Monica, but here we are.
    This has nothing to do with Republicans or Democrats. Bad behaviour should be called out no matter the party. Biden's accuser had a history of shady behavior and many things about her story didn't add up and changed. Is it still possible that Biden did assault her? Yes, but her story wasn't credible.

Now compare that to the accusers of Cuomo, which are multiple, whose accusations are very credible, some he has admitted to himself. One incident where the accuser reported the misconduct directly after it happened.

That is why these two instances are not comparable.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

This has nothing to do with Republicans or Democrats. Bad behaviour should be called out no matter the party. Biden's accuser had a history of shady behavior and many things about her story didn't add up and changed. Is it still possible that Biden did assault her? Yes, but her story wasn't credible.

Now compare that to the accusers of Cuomo, which are multiple, whose accusations are very credible, some he has admitted to himself. One incident where the accuser reported the misconduct directly after it happened.

My bad I thought you were inferring that the Cuomo allegations weren’t credible.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,713

Not this guy.

Look, believe me, I mean no offense.  I know damn well many women are abused.  I've seen the results first-hand from women (three who are/ were very close to me) I have know who are subjects of abuse.  One of them, a very dear female friend of my mine, literally drank herself to death because she was a victim of male abuse.  Seeing that happen was horrifying  and the man that did that to her deserves to rot in hell forever.

But I've also seen the other side of it.  I know a man who is serving a life sentence (with no chance of parole for 10 years) in a federal prison.  Talk about hell.  And he is innocent.  Ten years minimum of a good man's life fucked because it was his word against some lying piece of shit.

So yeah, when accusations of this nature are made with only an article from some minor source that provides no real evidence and everybody here jumps on it, I'm going to be skeptical.   Yes, sorry, I expect more and better.  And sorry if I come across as pissed of but I'm really tired of the shady bullshit that goes down.  Truth, not gossip, please. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    How exactly does one get “evidence”?

There are so very many women (men too) out there who have experienced this and worse. They’re not in the public eye, nor are those they’re accusing. Just regular folks, nothing to gain, just trying to live. And adequate consequences are rarely seen.

#MeToo, my ass. Nothing’s changed. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Not this guy.

Look, believe me, I mean no offense.  I know damn well many women are abused.  I've seen the results first-hand from women (three who are/ were very close to me) I have know who are subjects of abuse.  One of them, a very dear female friend of my mine, literally drank herself to death because she was a victim of male abuse.  Seeing that happen was horrifying  and the man that did that to her deserves to rot in hell forever.

But I've also seen the other side of it.  I know a man who is serving a life sentence (with no chance of parole for 10 years) in a federal prison.  Talk about hell.  And he is innocent.  Ten years minimum of a good man's life fucked because it was his word against some lying piece of shit.

So yeah, when accusations of this nature are made with only an article from some minor source that provides no real evidence and everybody here jumps on it, I'm going to be skeptical.   Yes, sorry, I expect more and better.  And sorry if I come across as pissed of but I'm really tired of the shady bullshit that goes down.  Truth, not gossip, please. 

I dont take offense on a personal level but I also hold my position that I believe these women who have come forward (throw out the anonymous groping charge if you like) over this guy who is very recently proven to be a liar.  He admitted to some of the interactions. 
    This is clear, to me.

What is total speculation is this:
    My thoughts would be that if you took every woman who was harrassed by some piece of garbage man and never reported it for fear people would not believe her and demand some impossible proof and put them in a building.....and in another building you took every man who had ever been falsely accused of sexual harassment.....then you would have something that looked like this:

The women would fill all of the large buildings and then men would fill the small building.

• Options
    hedonist said:

There are so very many women (men too) out there who have experienced this and worse. They’re not in the public eye, nor are those they’re accusing. Just regular folks, nothing to gain, just trying to live. And adequate consequences are rarely seen.

I don't mean physical evidence.  I mean verifiable journalism, not some shoddy "so-and-so said".
    I never said "MeToo".  You said that.
    But maybe you just want to dis what I wrote, so apparently you are so right, nothing has changed.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:

Not this guy.

I dont take offense on a personal level but I also hold my position that I believe these women who have come forward (throw out the anonymous groping charge if you like) over this guy who is very recently proven to be a liar.  He admitted to some of the interactions. 
    This is clear, to me.

My thoughts would be that if you took every woman who was harrassed by some piece of garbage man and never reported it for fear people would not believe her and demand some impossible proof and put them in a building.....and in another building you took every man who had ever been falsely accused of sexual harassment.....then you would have something that looked like this:

The women would fill all of the large buildings and then men would fill the small building.

I would call that a very apt analogy. 
    I would also have empathy for all victims of abuse and false accusations.  Especially for the women physically abused and for the men doing time leading to they themselves getting raped in prison after they have been falsely accused. 
    Honestly, I don't think I am as at odds with your thoughts as you might suspect. 
    I have no wish to argue or fight with any of you.  I'm done here.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Not this guy.

This is clear, to me.

I would also have empathy for all victims of abuse and false accusations.  Especially for the women physically abused and for the men doing time leading to they themselves getting raped in prison after they have been falsely accused. 
    Honestly, I don't think I am as at odds with your thoughts as you might suspect. 

No fighting, man. 
    Just took issue with the way you were fired up about defending creeper mc-governer and shared my perspective relative to the idea of proving claims such as these.  No personal offense taken and none meant.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Not this guy.

This is clear, to me.

No fighting, man. 
    Just took issue with the way you were fired up about defending creeper mc-governer and shared my perspective relative to the idea of proving claims such as these.  No personal offense taken and none meant.

I'm glad you did not take offense. 
    It's not that I was defending creeper mc-gov- not at all- it was about having strong feelings about the tendency for us to believe what we read without verifiable, carefully investigated journalism.  I have been guilty of the same mistake at times and try very hard to dig for the truth, not knee-jerk quickly over things that are printed in today's very shaky, very iffy, so-called "journalism".  We live in a time of very faulty reportage. 
    OK, I'm really done now. 
    Peace.

• Options
    Peace!

And, earlier, another piece about Governor McShady.  This is a first person account.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

I don't mean physical evidence.  I mean verifiable journalism, not some shoddy "so-and-so said".
    I never said "MeToo".  You said that.
    But maybe you just want to dis what I wrote, so apparently you are so right, nothing has changed.
    Thank you for clarifying “evidence”, as its implications are far different than what was initially said.

Not sure if you actually are done here, but it appears my response chafed you. I’m offering MY perspective, as one who wasn’t believed, told to keep quiet, and get over it. I had no evidence but I did have my word and my conscience. I would hope these women do as well.

And yeah, I felt MeToo is relevant here. Sue me 🤠
  • Options
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

My bad I thought you were inferring that the Cuomo allegations weren’t credible.
    Ah, I guess I could have made it more clear who I was referring to in my earlier comment. All good.
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,826
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

Ah, I guess I could have made it more clear who I was referring to in my earlier comment. All good.

Maybe, although who else but Biden has "about 100 years of public service" :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

Maybe, although who else but Biden has "about 100 years of public service" :lol: 
    Good point!
  • Options
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:
    static111 said:
    dignin said:

Not this guy.

;)
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    brianlux said:

Not this guy.

This is clear, to me.

I would imagine the difference in buildings would be even greater. 
    But I just don’t agree with forcing someone out before an investigation is complete. The claims state there were many witnesses on multiple occasions. Have those witnesses been identified and questioned? As you said, the most serious one is anonymous. It very well may be true, but that doesn’t hold any water with me. If all it takes for a politician to resign or be impeached is an anonymous claim, well I have a friend who said AOC touched him. Can’t tell you his name though.
    It sounds like this story is snowballing fast. I would imagine it won’t be very long before we hear about witness statements and so on. If not, then I have to ask what is the investigation doing? Or if the victim can’t provide any witnesses then I have to wonder why did she claim there were lots? And if he is guilty, he’d be smart to resign before even more come out.
  • Options
    Did you read the article I posted from earlier today?
    The guy is a creeper.  He can go away after this term.  (Or, be elected president)
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,241
    Looks like Schumer and Gillibrand have joined the "resign" calls. I get it, but if there's an investigation to be conducted do it and get him out because it seems they should be able to find cause.

I just hate to see one party always resign with no investigation while the other blocks the investigation and then calls it a witch hunt even if there's credible evidence. Because we have seen that the voters are too caught up in team politics to vote out sleaze balls when it doesn't serve them.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,001
    edited March 2021
    The guy is a creeper.  He can go away after this term.  (Or, be elected president)
    Yes. And one of the reasons I said according to some of the accounts there were many witnesses. And in this case, even pictures. So dig up the pictures and talk to the witnesses first. I don’t think that would be hard, which is why I said it’s snowballing fast and if true, will probably be corroborated very soon.
  • Options
    He’s done...