Options

Q&A with Eric Johnson (PJ's orig. Tour Manager)

I'm interviewing Pearl Jam's first tour manager Eric Johnson later this week for Antiquiet, and thought you guys might have some curiosities about PJ stories from the early days. He's got no shortage of epic tales, from his time with PJ or his time as Metallica's tour manager - he was also Neil Young's TM for a time. If anyone remembers the Drop in The Park t-shirt with the guy pulling his pants down... Eric is the guy in the image.

If anyone's got suggestions or questions, I'd be happy to include them. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    elwayvedderelwayvedder South Jersey Posts: 9,079
    i'm partially teasing but partially serious but does he have any old school vintage PJ memorabilia? I'm a die hard PJ pick collector looking for 2 very old rare PJ picks that probably someone like him only has...does he need more retirement funding? LOL
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Ask him if he still has the knot on the back of his head from "securing the stage" from an overly-aggressive person during an MSG show ages ago...

Would also be interesting to know what the biggest immediate differences were between TMing for PJ and then TMing for Neil Young.

And tell him for some fans who knew him then, sometimes the concern on his face for our safety when things got "manic" in the pit was tangible. Let him know I feel CERTAIN as a fan that there are a lot more living fans and a lot fewer injured fans because of his eyes on the crowd and security measures (even outside venues sometimes where he'd eyeball bad traffic/fan crowd situations and get them addressed right away) back then.
  • Options
    FirecloudFirecloud Posts: 516
    i'm partially teasing but partially serious but does he have any old school vintage PJ memorabilia? I'm a die hard PJ pick collector looking for 2 very old rare PJ picks that probably someone like him only has...does he need more retirement funding? LOL
    Ha! I'll see what he says.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    And tell him for some fans who knew him then, sometimes the concern on his face for our safety when things got "manic" in the pit was tangible. Let him know I feel CERTAIN as a fan that there are a lot more living fans and a lot fewer injured fans because of his eyes on the crowd and security measures (even outside venues sometimes where he'd eyeball bad traffic/fan crowd situations and get them addressed right away) back then.
    I'll definitely convey this. In his shoes I think thats something I'd be pretty thrilled to hear.
  • Options
    Just messaged you a few more :)
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,382
    Seattle Times had an article in 2006 on Lance Mercer as his 5x1 book was about to come out. Johnson had an interesting quote:

Is he referring to the band? The scene? I'd be interested to know what he thinks changed and what no longer exists.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/backstage-pass-new-books-photos-add-an-extra-track-to-early-years-of-pearl-jam/
  • Options
    PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,795
    Ask what it was like putting together the 1995 and 1996 US tours.  Those were so DIY it must have been a ton more work than anything prior.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Options
    PB11041 said:
    Ask what it was like putting together the 1995 and 1996 US tours.  Those were so DIY it must have been a ton more work than anything prior.
    Great question. That's when they tried to avoid Ticketmaster venues. Must've been a Tour Manager's nightmare, even though for all the right reasons they tried it.
  • Options
    pjl44 said:
    Seattle Times had an article in 2006 on Lance Mercer as his 5x1 book was about to come out. Johnson had an interesting quote:

Is he referring to the band? The scene? I'd be interested to know what he thinks changed and what no longer exists.

https://www.seattletimes.com/entertainment/backstage-pass-new-books-photos-add-an-extra-track-to-early-years-of-pearl-jam/
    That quote always stuck with me as well. I'd taken it to mean the scene overall, but undoubtedly the macro matches the micro where the guys only had x dollars to get to the next tour stop when you factor gas money and what they're making per show. The ways of the road. The book Get in The Van by Henry Rollins comes to mind. It was comparably a far simpler existence overall, the pre-fame all-for-one, one-for-all times, before the tethers and loyalties of success, kids, wives, mortgages, etc. 
  • Options
    im an earim an ear San Diego, CA Posts: 245
    This may be an obvious question, but I’d ask what was his most memorable/favorite PJ show he was a part of.

San Diego, CA - 10/25/00, San Diego, CA - 7/7/06, Los Angeles, CA - 7/9/06, San Diego, CA - 4/15/08 (EV), San Diego, CA - 10/9/09, San Diego, CA - 7/5/11 (EV), San Diego, CA - 11/21/13
  • Options
    edwhoedwho Posts: 811

Favorite/best live drummer?

Thoughts on Ed climbing and jumping in those early days.

Thoughts on early tours with Alice in Chains, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana?

I collect shoe laces 😊 Need Jeff. Any extras?

Three Fish

July 1996 San Francisco

June 1999 Chicago

• Options
    Building on edwho's "Thoughts on early tours" question, I'd like to know what the first moment he experienced himself was when he realized "Oh ish, this is really becoming NUTS!" about how famous PJ were getting, or how manic fans were getting. What was his first direct experience of it or witnessing it?

• Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    Witnessed tensions brewing with Dave A?
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    You didn't say what day your interview is - whenever it is, hope it goes well! Let us know where and when it's likely you'll post it. Thanks!
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Building on edwho's "Thoughts on early tours" question, I'd like to know what the first moment he experienced himself was when he realized "Oh ish, this is really becoming NUTS!" about how famous PJ were getting, or how manic fans were getting. What was his first direct experience of it or witnessing it?

Great Q. Definitely gonna get his thoughts on that.
  • Options
    NewJPage said:
    You've got an hour to dig inside the mind of someone who was present for some of the most legendary early years imaginable with a ton of amazing bands, and you'd spend part of it digging into conflict gossip? 
    Not me.
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    You didn't say what day your interview is - whenever it is, hope it goes well! Let us know where and when it's likely you'll post it. Thanks!
    Thanks - it's happening tomorrow, and will be on Antiquiet.com on Monday - the same place you can find about 100 other PJ articles I've written including my PJ Fan Life podcast episode, my Wrigley 2016 show review and so on.
  • Options
    Firecloud said:
    JH6056 said:
    Thanks - it's happening tomorrow, and will be on Antiquiet.com on Monday - the same place you can find about 100 other PJ articles I've written including my PJ Fan Life podcast episode, my Wrigley 2016 show review and so on.
    I checked out that website, LOTS of cool stuff there! Will be looking for the interview Monday, looking forward to it!
  • Options
    NewJPageNewJPage Posts: 3,304
    Firecloud said:
    NewJPage said:
    You've got an hour to dig inside the mind of someone who was present for some of the most legendary early years imaginable with a ton of amazing bands, and you'd spend part of it digging into conflict gossip? 
    Not me.
    How is that gossip? Tensions within the band were a major issue during that era that almost led to them breaking up at one point
    6/26/98, 8/17/00, 10/8/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/25/03, 5/28/03, 6/1/03, 6/3/03, 6/5/03, 6/6/03, 6/12/03, 6/13/03, 6/15/03, 6/18/03, 6/21/03, 6/22/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03, 10/3/04, 10/5/04, 9/9/05, 9/11/05, 9/16/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/19/06, 6/30/06, 7/23/06, 8/5/07, 6/30/08, 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 5/4/10, 5/7/10, 9/3/11, 9/4/11, 10/11/13, 10/17/14, 8/20/16
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,312
    How about every time another band came on?  Did you they get to enjoy them?
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    Eric was given the moniker "Paragon of Inspiration" during the end credits of PJ20.  I would like to hear him discuss how he attained that title.
  • Options
    Eric was given the moniker "Paragon of Inspiration" during the end credits of PJ20.  I would like to hear him discuss how he attained that title.
    That one's already on the list! Gotta be something behind that...
  • Options
    pleathermanpleatherman Posts: 470
    Firecloud said:
    That one's already on the list! Gotta be something behind that...

Awesome, here are a couple other things that might be fun to inquire about.

There was this clip from the Pearl Jam Australia '95 film of Eric interrogating a press photographer for trying to upsell some PJ tickets to a couple fans.  After watching that, I almost want to ask him how many scalpers he has made cry.

Throughout his tenure with Pearl Jam, sometimes shows/tours have been postponed or even cancelled.  Does anything stick out in his mind of times that, against all odds, a Pearl Jam concert he did not think was going to happen or end well, somehow emerged triumphant?

And here is a longshot, but Eric mentioned in past instances of the reverence Neil Young holds for Pearl Jam.  Although it has been 26 years since they recorded Mirrorball, does he recall Neil ever speaking about the prospects of future projects with the band?

• Options
    SilvoxSilvox Posts: 7
    I was in Drama class with Eric at Ballard High School in Seattle. Richard Stuverud was at Ballard at the same time and played drums in the Ballard Stage Band. Eric and Richard are friends. Perhaps you can ask Eric questions on how his interest in drama and the arts led him to work in concert production. Eddie Vedder commented that his own drama teacher had a big impact on him. Did Eric and Eddie bond over a common interest in drama and music? Was Eric directly involved in getting Richard an audition with PJ or introducing him to Jeff?

if you ask him any of these questions, pass on a hello from Ken.
  • Options
    KL159781KL159781 Posts: 118
    Oops, I just realized I posted the above comments while it was logged in as my wife.
  • Options
    cockagecockage Posts: 456

• Options
    cockage said:

Ummm... I don't know where you got these pics, but I am instantly permanently indebted to you for posting them!!  Eric is fantastic enough in these, but gotta love Stone in the background on 1st.  Why did these outfits never make it onstage?? They are so "on brand" for PJ!  =)
  • Options
    Thank you guys so much for your input! As you'll hear, quite a bit of it had an impact on our conversation. Eric gets straight up emotional when I thanked him on behalf of the fans he helped keep safe (you guys/us) over those years.

Here's the interview, discussing the earliest Pearl Jam & Soundgarden days, as well as great stories about Neil Young, Metallica & more. Really loved doing this one. I hope I did y'all proud  B)

http://antiquiet.com/aq-podcast/2021/03/eric-johnson-tour-manager-to-metallica-pearl-jam-soundgarden-more/
  • Options
    @Firecloud, you did a phenomenal job on this Pod. Fantastic interview and Eric’s stories were very entertaining. It seems like it was so long ago but so much has changed. Eric is truly a great individual and has a passion for anything he does! Great job!
    Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 03, 2011); Alpine Valley Music Theatre East Troy, Wisconsin (September 04, 2011); Deluna Fest Pensacola, FL (September 21, 2012); Wrigley Field (July 19, 2013); Milwaukee, WI (October 20, 2014); Wrigley Field I (August 20, 2016); Wrigley Field II (August 22, 2016); Home Shows Seattle Night 1 (August 08, 2018), Home Shows Seattle Night 2 (August 10, 2018), Apollo Theater (September 10, 2022), Madison Square Garden (September 11, 2022), Bourbon & Beyond Louisville (September 17th, 2022). 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 88,640
    Thanks @Firecloud :)