Options

Oprah interviews the cast off royals...

Comments

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,020
    Poncier said:
    Poncier said:
    My recollection is that the obsession with the Royals (outside of KC) here in the US started with Diana and the royal wedding to Charles. I could be wrong, maybe it has been going on longer, Wobbie could tell us about whether Americans had an obsession with Queen Victoria or King George III. I think the whole fairy tale story of a commoner becoming a princess captured the public's imagination.
    And the Diana obsession has carried over to her 2 sons and their marriages/families.
    Princess Diana was not a comoner.
    Well she wasn't of royal lineage.
    She was in the British hierarchy/nobility and was pretty much groomed to be princess.
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    In discussing this here I realize I know wayyyy more than I should about the royal family considering I don't care about them, lol.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Naive to think the same wouldn't be thought or even not be stopped from uttered in a high percentage of "normal (white) folks" homes. I don't see this being some unique thing because they are the Royal family. 

Saw that Harry has said, via Oprah, he wants people to know it was not his grandfather or grandmother who said it.
    You are free to start a thread on “normal white households and racism”.   I assume this includes
      “YOU”.
    Why does he need to start a thread on that?  Why not ask what he meant by “a high percentage” before accusing him of being racist and part of that group? 
    Because the thread is about the cast off royals....
    The thread title says it’s about the interview with Oprah. And saying that he believes more white people feel the same way as the Royal institution as discussed in the interview than what you probably think not only isn’t related to this thread about said interview, but also makes him racist? I have to disagree on both accounts.
    I also disagree with SC, I don’t think a high percentage of white people feel that way. But that doesn’t make him racist.
    Lol.  I know Canada is far more racist than Canadians want to admit ... after all the leftist elected a racist pm who is currently running Canada and who had 3 photos surface of him in blackface....

just ask our 1st nations people’s if they are treated very differently ... you  know the real owners of North America...

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,018
    Best royalty:

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier said:
    My recollection is that the obsession with the Royals (outside of KC) here in the US started with Diana and the royal wedding to Charles. I could be wrong, maybe it has been going on longer, Wobbie could tell us about whether Americans had an obsession with Queen Victoria or King George III. I think the whole fairy tale story of a commoner becoming a princess captured the public's imagination.
    And the Diana obsession has carried over to her 2 sons and their marriages/families.
    :rofl:
  • Options

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    If you have a royal family in your country then it’s time to put your big boy pants on and toss those leeches out with the trash...

same here in Canada ... time to decolonize.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,013
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Naive to think the same wouldn't be thought or even not be stopped from uttered in a high percentage of "normal (white) folks" homes. I don't see this being some unique thing because they are the Royal family. 

Saw that Harry has said, via Oprah, he wants people to know it was not his grandfather or grandmother who said it.
    You are free to start a thread on “normal white households and racism”.   I assume this includes
      “YOU”.
    Why does he need to start a thread on that?  Why not ask what he meant by “a high percentage” before accusing him of being racist and part of that group? 
    Because the thread is about the cast off royals....
    The thread title says it’s about the interview with Oprah. And saying that he believes more white people feel the same way as the Royal institution as discussed in the interview than what you probably think not only isn’t related to this thread about said interview, but also makes him racist? I have to disagree on both accounts.
    I also disagree with SC, I don’t think a high percentage of white people feel that way. But that doesn’t make him racist.
    Lol.  I know Canada is far more racist than Canadians want to admit ... after all the leftist elected a racist pm who is currently running Canada and who had 3 photos surface of him in blackface....

just ask our 1st nations people’s if they are treated very differently ... you  know the real owners of North America...

For someone who said go start a new thread for comparing the views described in the interview which is the thread title to the average person, you sure took some weird turns in this one. Who brought up Canada? Or the left, or the PM, or the first nations? This is a very odd post, especially since its s reply to asking why does he need to start a new thread for discussing the interview and what was racist about what he said.
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161
    If you have a royal family in your country then it’s time to put your big boy pants on and toss those leeches out with the trash...

same here in Canada ... time to decolonize.  
    it kind of worked for the russians. kind of.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    of course Pies Morgan had a meltdown on live tv about this. That guy has hated Megan Markle since the beginning. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    a woman I work with is OBSESSED with the royal family, like buys all the tacky tea sets and shit, goes to London on vacations, etc. and she's my age (mid 40's) and married. mind you, she's a self professed 'crazy cat lady' too so who knows. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,728
    of course Pies Morgan had a meltdown on live tv about this. That guy has hated Megan Markle since the beginning. 
    I'm watching this right now following your post about it. I do agree with Morgan that they should put a name on whoever supposedly worried about the color of the child's skin. By not doing it, it leaves it open that it could be anybody. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    arent there more important issues to discuss than this bullshit?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    I'm watching this right now following your post about it. I do agree with Morgan that they should put a name on whoever supposedly worried about the color of the child's skin. By not doing it, it leaves it open that it could be anybody. 
    I think they had to walk a fine line in this. Sure, that's pretty explosive. they needed to show that they weren't being the unreasonable/selfish ones here, without totally ruining the family. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    arent there more important issues to discuss than this bullshit?
    of course. there's many threads available for your perusal as you wish. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    a woman I work with is OBSESSED with the royal family, like buys all the tacky tea sets and shit, goes to London on vacations, etc. and she's my age (mid 40's) and married. mind you, she's a self professed 'crazy cat lady' too so who knows. 
    You do know that she is saying the exact same thing about you, on her community.royalfamilyrules.com message board?
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    You do know that she is saying the exact same thing about you, on her community.royalfamilyrules.com message board?
    LOL it is well known at work, as I'm sure the same for many of us, as the "pearl jam guy" or the "headstones guy". 

I just find the obsession with the royals to be on another level of tacky and kind of creepy. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2021
    I am pretty sure it was several people. 

I am pretty sure that the one saying it, hadn't already talked about it with several people before it reached Harry/Megan.

And it's not like it's just "outing a racist person" -- it seems to be "outing someone in your family". I doubt Piers "I'm a friend of Trump" Morgan or anyone in here would sit on television and do that, if they were in the same situation. Even if you were to be able to say as much as she said - "there are racist POS in my husbands family"
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Is the british Royal Family a big thing in the US?
    A big thing? I don't think so. A group of British celebrities that everyone in the U.S. is familiar with would be more accurate. 

I know Diana and Charles were tabloid fodder in the 90's. And women here like to watch their royal weddings. If anything, they're known here more as as a strange (and to some, interesting) family than they people of importance. They're more Kardashian than Biden is what I'm trying to say. 
    There are throngs of Royals followers.  They are a big deal, hell they made a trading card set of the Prince William and Kate wedding.

People take them seriously where as I do not.
    I was more into Luke and Laura's wedding.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    With Megan and Harry as the Dave Abbruzzese of the royal family. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    I thought it was an awesome interview and genuinely feel bad for her.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    mcgruff10 said:
    I thought it was an awesome interview and genuinely feel bad for her.  
    i honestly feel bad for anyone born into that type of situation. you're basically a prisoner. sure, you're wealthy, or rather, you live in wealth, but you can't do what you want, you can't be your own person. I applaud Harry for giving that the big middle finger. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited March 2021
    Over at royalfamilyrules.com:

"Megan and Harry need to stop obsess about their old family and let it go but I don't think they want to find a resolution. And by the way, if they are so great why did they never become part of another royal family? " 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,161

"Megan and Harry need to stop obsess about their old family and let it go but I don't think they want to find a resolution. And by the way, if they are so great why did they never become part of another royal family? " 
    as if there are a thousand royal families roaming around. haha
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

"While Megan and Harry are quite popular with our royal subjects, their rather joyous demeanor is unbecoming of a monarchy. Not to mention they use too many splash cymbals."  ----Queen Elizabeth 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,962
    I think its all a bit naff. 
    Royals aren't  my favourite  , neither is this new gen of outing everything  and anything  to shock.
    I agree S.C that many people of my dads generation  would ask the same question as wrong as it may be.
    And piers Morgan both annoys the fuck out of me and interests me in equal measure 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    I think its all a bit naff. 
    Royals aren't  my favourite  , neither is this new gen of outing everything  and anything  to shock.
    I agree S.C that many people of my dads generation  would ask the same question as wrong as it may be.
    And piers Morgan both annoys the fuck out of me and interests me in equal measure 
    Rob what could you possibly find interesting about that turd, lol?!?
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,962
    He supports  the same team as me. 
    And sometimes he fights a cause better than anyone.  Like to our politicians.  He is ruthless when the public need a voice. Hahah bit serious for me  🤣 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -