Options

Washington and Lincoln are out. S.F. school board tosses 44 school names in controversial move

13»

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,616
    Hobbes said:
    brianlux said:
    Hobbes said:
    As a white person, I am offended that my state is named after a slave owner. I hereby formally request a name change. Or do the Black folk in the crowd need to stand up and deliver? Should it matter?

Huh!  And here all along I thought it has something to do with massive laundry!

And, whoa, wait!  Do we have any black forum members?  I'm serious.  I don't know.  When I saw Pearl Jam in Missoula in 2012 I don't recall seeing one single person of color at that show.  It was a very white show!

We do.

Also, you were in Missoula, one of the whitest places in the country.  :lol:  We went to the last show in Missoula and were excited when we saw a person of color at the airport as we went to leave town.  

But your assumption that he was the porter was way out of line. Not cool, bro.

:lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    My two cents on this whole issue:

Stop naming anything government/publicly owned after a person, and stop erecting statutes in anyones image in public places. Any human, especially those that get elevated in the public discourse, have some shit in their background which at some point in time others will find offensive, or whatever. All of them.

A new school needs a name, call it Rectangle Middle School, Oak Tree High School. Not offensive. New street, use a random name generator. Snail Track Drive it is.

Want to erect a statute to commemorate someone, fine. Put up a granite block, a marble egg, whatever the preferred geometric shape is, it could even be abstract art. Put a removable placard on it with the person’s name being honored. That way 75 years from now when that person’s actions and beliefs of the time are no longer viewed as appropriate or whatnot, they can just quietly change the placard.

I’m going to go and yell at some clouds now.
    I love your suggestions.
    Give Peas A Chance…