The Mandalorian (Spoilers)

2»

Comments

• OK I'm asking.  What did she say that was so bad and where did she come out as anti-semite?  I read the tweet and it just seems like an extreme way of looking at the world not too different than when people on AMT said that we were becoming Nazi Germany under Trump.

Asking a question so don't go friggin sideways.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    OK I'm asking.  What did she say that was so bad and where did she come out as anti-semite?  I read the tweet and it just seems like an extreme way of looking at the world not too different than when people on AMT said that we were becoming Nazi Germany under Trump.

From how I see this, it is pretty easy.
    If you are a public figure and enjoy your job it is risky to have any opinion on anything even remotely political or societal right now.
    Any person with eyes and ears can understand this -- from that point it is on the person.  If you believe that sharing your opinion is important enough to risk your job, then share away.  If it is not, do not.

She works for Disney.  This is easy -- if you like your great gig, the best acting role you are likely ever to have in terms of exposure, keep your opinions to yourself. 

My guess is that she does not care -- she has enough money and is more concerned with sharing her world views with others.
    Fine for her.

Predictable, though.  If I am in her shoes that is an easy one.  Act the role, enjoy the ride, cash the large checks.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • OK I'm asking.  What did she say that was so bad and where did she come out as anti-semite?  I read the tweet and it just seems like an extreme way of looking at the world not too different than when people on AMT said that we were becoming Nazi Germany under Trump.

If you are a public figure and enjoy your job it is risky to have any opinion on anything even remotely political or societal right now.
    Any person with eyes and ears can understand this -- from that point it is on the person.  If you believe that sharing your opinion is important enough to risk your job, then share away.  If it is not, do not.

She works for Disney.  This is easy -- if you like your great gig, the best acting role you are likely ever to have in terms of exposure, keep your opinions to yourself. 

My guess is that she does not care -- she has enough money and is more concerned with sharing her world views with others.
    Fine for her.

Predictable, though.  If I am in her shoes that is an easy one.  Act the role, enjoy the ride, cash the large checks.

Fair assessment.  Disney does not like anyone rocking the boat.

I do not see where her comment would call her out to be anti-semetic though.
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,121
    These are exactly the topics I like to discuss when talking about a galaxy far, far away ….
  • Jason P said:
    These are exactly the topics I like to discuss when talking about a galaxy far, far away ….
    Yeah sorry .  We should take it to AMT.  My bad.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,588
    OK I'm asking.  What did she say that was so bad and where did she come out as anti-semite?  I read the tweet and it just seems like an extreme way of looking at the world not too different than when people on AMT said that we were becoming Nazi Germany under Trump.

Fine for her.

Fair assessment.  Disney does not like anyone rocking the boat.

I do not see where her comment would call her out to be anti-semetic though.

I don't think that is worth debating relative to her getting canned.  If it creates any controversy (warranted or not) these days it is too risky. 

Too bad, her character was a good part of the show.
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited February 2021
    The Holocaust and Nazi Germany/Hitler, while related (i.e., the former tragedy wouldn’t have occurred had the latter tragedy never been born), are not the same thing. The Holocaust has been/is/(hopefully) always will be off limits. Once she brought the Holocaust into it (i.e., the rounding up/extermination of Jews), it was over.

It appears that people too removed from the event need to be reminded of this from time to time. 

Six million.

It will never be OK.

If it takes some ignorant, shit-talking tart who got kicked in the head too much losing her space bounty hunter role on a Disney TV show, then I guess that’s what it takes. We live in a strange world. 

Even if she never learns her lesson, perhaps someone who reads this in the news and has a discussion such as this one will learn that lesson. There is a line that you don’t cross. 

Six million. 

Easy math. 

Nazi Germany/Hitler? You can make as many comparisons, jokes, etc., about that shit as you like. (Be prepared for many people to think you quite looney, though.)

Every president in my lifetime has been compared to Hitler. :lol:

And people have been goofin’ on Hitler/Nazi Germany since at least Charlie Chaplin’s day. And even the Star Wars franchise (thread integrity for @Jason P ), to an extent, also lampoons Nazis. 

This is why you’ll never see a successful comparison with the Holocaust. (It’s also why you never see a successful comedy production about the Holocaust.)
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Nationalist Lampoon?
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,956
    Random comment about The Mando. I like the actor who played Gus in Breaking Bad. He is horrible in everything else I've seen him do though. Including this role.
    mace1229 said:
    Random comment about The Mando. I like the actor who played Gus in Breaking Bad. He is horrible in everything else I've seen him do though. Including this role.
    Giancarlo Esposito
    Brilliant actor.
    Was watching him last night in The Godfather of Harlem - wish he could be in more stuff.  That show is excellent.
    Buggin' Out!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:
    Buggin' Out!
    Image result for buggin out character
    Damn I need to watch that again.  great flick!
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,390
    edited February 2021

I thought her comments were misappropriated, tone deaf & shitty, but this is the first I've heard about her being called anti-Semitic. 

• The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,141

I thought her comments were misappropriated, tone deaf & shitty, but this is the first I've heard about her being called anti-Semitic. 

I've always been a fan of hers. She kicked major ass in that Haywire movie back in the day. Bummed because I don't expect to see much of her moving forward now!
    chinese-happy.jpg

Fine for her.

Also, let's not pretend it's one tweet. She has been tweeting and posting things like this and other inappropriate stuff on Instagram for a year or two now. 
    chinese-happy.jpg

I've always been a fan of hers. She kicked major ass in that Haywire movie back in the day. Bummed because I don't expect to see much of her moving forward now!
    Mel Gibson will cast her as the Virgin Mary in The Passion 2: The Rapturous Second Coming
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • dankind said:

Mel Gibson will cast her as the Virgin Mary in The Passion 2: The Rapturous Second Coming
    This time, The Virgin Mary is kicking ass & taking names. 

"No room at the inn? There's room now, bitch"

• I thought her comments were misappropriated, tone deaf & shitty, but this is the first I've heard about her being called anti-Semitic. 

Her acting chops in some of the Mandalorian episodes are rough, but whatever... it's not like her cast mates are any great shakes either & we're not talking about Casablanca here. 

She was a fun character, it's too bad. 
  • HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,377
    Wasn't the character supposed to join Rangers? Cancel the character as well or recast? Ronda Rousey available?

Her acting chops in some of the Mandalorian episodes are rough, but whatever... it's not like her cast mates are any great shakes either & we're not talking about Casablanca here. 

She was a fun character, it's too bad. 
    Lol...yeah, she wasn't on pace for an Emmy or Oscar any time soon. 
    chinese-happy.jpg
    Zamboni driver knows what’s up. 

I SAW PEARL JAM