Options

Nashville RV Bomb

Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,989
edited December 2020 in A Moving Train
It's amazing to me that almost immediately the internet sleuths are twisting this situation in right wing directions.

* It wasn't an RV bomb...it was a missile
* AT&T Bldg was targeted because the voting machines that proved fraud were in there
Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
Post edited by Gern Blansten on

Comments

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,137
    Is Bom “boom” or “bomb”?

I know just a typo just wondering which you meant ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    lol...

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/27/us/anthony-quinn-warner-dead.html?smtyp=cur&smid=tw-nytimes

The best summary I've seen so far.  Hats off to the police....holy shit

• Options
    I don't understand the reluctance to use the term terrorism in the media. 

I understand the motives may still be unclear, but isn't that why we have and use terms like 'suspected' and / or 'alleged'? 

• Options

I understand the motives may still be unclear, but isn't that why we have and use terms like 'suspected' and / or 'alleged'? 

I get it but "Suicide Bombers" and "Terrorists" don't generally warn everyone to clear the area first.

It's an odd situation for sure.  This guy gave everything away and apparently targeted the AT&T bldg.  

My guess is that he is a tRump supporter in a big way.

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/285959/white-privilege#latest
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,254
    Domestic terrorism, plain and simple. Whether he gave a warning or not doesnt change the goal of the act. It wasn't just to kill himself, it was to cause harm to property and potentially others. Just because he played a warning message doesn't make it any less heinous. Seems like he got his ideas from 90's movies and real events. This has Speed, Oklahoma City and Unabomber influence all over it. What a sick fuck.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,517
    edited December 2020

I get it but "Suicide Bombers" and "Terrorists" don't generally warn everyone to clear the area first.

It's an odd situation for sure.  This guy gave everything away and apparently targeted the AT&T bldg.  

Why are you using quotes for suicide bomber? Do signs not currently point to this being a suicide bombing? 

Granted, we need more facts to know the whole story, but all signs from the get go suggest this was domestic terrorism. 

I don't understand the reluctance to use these terms... again, it's why we have words like 'alleged' or 'suspected'. 

Not to mention, I've never heard of a suicide bomber who wasn't a terrorist. 
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    media is framing this guy as a nice, quiet, misunderstood white guy. 

he was a domestic terrorist. the media needs to say it. the president needs to say it.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764

he was a domestic terrorist. the media needs to say it. the president needs to say it.

If he gave warnings to clear the area and only intended to harm himself and destroy equipment, would this not be more accurately described as suicidal sabotage
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,181
    brianlux said:

If he gave warnings to clear the area and only intended to harm himself and destroy equipment, would this not be more accurately described as suicidal sabotage
    since he targeted a business would he be a suicide vandal?

i don't know. all i know is this whole situation is messed up.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Here's a definition of terrorism from the FBI: 

"There is no single, universally accepted, definition of terrorism. Terrorism is defined in the Code of Federal Regulations as “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85)."

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005#:~:text=Terrorism is defined in the,or social objectives” (28 C.F.R.

Granted, we don't know what social or political objectives this person looked to further, but again... I've never heard of a suicide bomber that wasn't a terrorist. 
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,256
    He's a terrorist.
    If all he wanted to do was kill himself he could have done that in the privacy of his own home.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,764
    brianlux said:

since he targeted a business would he be a suicide vandal?

i don't know. all i know is this whole situation is messed up.
    It is messed up, for sure!  I wound not want to have been living anywhere near that sort of thing.

brianlux said:

Here's a definition of terrorism from the FBI: 

"There is no single, universally accepted, definition of terrorism. Terrorism is defined in the Code of Federal Regulations as “the unlawful use of force and violence against persons or property to intimidate or coerce a government, the civilian population, or any segment thereof, in furtherance of political or social objectives” (28 C.F.R. Section 0.85)."

https://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005#:~:text=Terrorism is defined in the,or social objectives” (28 C.F.R.

Granted, we don't know what social or political objectives this person looked to further, but again... I've never heard of a suicide bomber that wasn't a terrorist. 
    That's what seems unusual about this incident.  I don't ever remember a suicide bomber not intending to do harm to other people.

I'm curious about why it is that some people were harmed when they had an hour to clear the area.  Did some people not take the warning seriously?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,664
    Poncier said:
    He's a terrorist.
    If all he wanted to do was kill himself he could have done that in the privacy of his own home.

This.

Just because this fucking weirdo had an announcement going to try and clear everyone away does not stop it from being an act of terror.

Also....Downtown?  Just sayin'...but that is an act of terror on its own.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,829

Media (and all of us) has  been called out on the whole "white guy = mentally ill lone wolf" thing for years now and they just can't seem to change their tune.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options

Why are you using quotes for suicide bomber? Do signs not currently point to this being a suicide bombing? 

Granted, we need more facts to know the whole story, but all signs from the get go suggest this was domestic terrorism. 

I don't understand the reluctance to use these terms... again, it's why we have words like 'alleged' or 'suspected'. 

I was just referring to giving the guy an actual title.  It seems like there is a lot of outrage for not labeling him as of yet.

I get it....I'm just not outraged by the lack of a label yet.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,664
    The Downtown Dumbass?
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options

I was just referring to giving the guy an actual title.  It seems like there is a lot of outrage for not labeling him as of yet.

I remember Obama getting a lot of shit for not labeling things right away too.
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Poncier said:
    He's a terrorist.

This.

Just because this fucking weirdo had an announcement going to try and clear everyone away does not stop it from being an act of terror.

Also....Downtown?  Just sayin'...but that is an act of terror on its own.
    And this, too.
  • Options

I don’t get it... you guessed the guy is a trump supporter (which is your prerogative) but won’t apply the terrorism label... I would argue there’s more evidence that this was an act of terror than there’s evidence that this person is a trump supporter. 

& if he IS a Trump supporter, wouldn’t that lean more towards this being an act of domestic terror than not, all things considered? 

I don’t have the answers, but all signs point to this as an alleged act of terror.

If you’re inferring outrage from my posts, you’re misreading them; I genuinely don’t understand the reluctance to call this what it looks like. 
  • Options

I don’t get it... you guessed the guy is a trump supporter (which is your prerogative) but won’t apply the terrorism label... I would argue there’s more evidence that this was an act of terror than there’s evidence that this person is a trump supporter. 

& if he IS a Trump supporter, wouldn’t that lean more towards this being an act of domestic terror than not, all things considered? 

I don’t have the answers, but all signs point to this as an alleged act of terror.

If you’re inferring outrage from my posts, you’re misreading them; I genuinely don’t understand the reluctance to call this what it looks like. 
    No not your posts....I was initially referring to what I was seeing in my FB and twitter feeds.  

I don't have a problem with calling him a terrorist, etc., I just don't see why it is so important that he be labeled as such in order to diffuse outrage from some people.

I'm probably not being very clear but I wonder if tRump hasn't commented about him because they know he was a tRump supporter.

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    the only reason things need a label is so the media knows which narrative to go with to then extrapolate the proper dramatic sequence. 

so far, we know he was a jerk with a bomb who called police to the area, and warned people in the area to evacuate. 

and the usual information about a white guy who was nice and professional and quiet. all the usual boxes ticked when it's a white dude. all we need now is how he had a legitimate reason for hating the world, and what a tragic ending it was. 

doesn't an act of terror need to have a motive of inciting terror to be labelled as such? maybe it's splitting hairs, but i think there is a distinction, no? 

and @Gern Blansten, how do you make the leap to" trump supporter in a big way"?
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

No not your posts....I was initially referring to what I was seeing in my FB and twitter feeds.  

I don't have a problem with calling him a terrorist, etc., I just don't see why it is so important that he be labeled as such in order to diffuse outrage from some people.

I'm probably not being very clear but I wonder if tRump hasn't commented about him because they know he was a tRump supporter.

For what it’s worth, I agree about him likely being a trump supporter; & like w/ the proud boys, david duke etc, I think trump will do everything he can to not disavow the attack. 

In response to why people care about the label... there does seem to be a reluctance to apply the term to white Americans, but if for example the prime suspect was an American Muslim, does anyone doubt this would have had the terrorism label applied to it right away? 
  • Options
    the only reason things need a label is so the media knows which narrative to go with to then extrapolate the proper dramatic sequence. 

so far, we know he was a jerk with a bomb who called police to the area, and warned people in the area to evacuate. 

and the usual information about a white guy who was nice and professional and quiet. all the usual boxes ticked when it's a white dude. all we need now is how he had a legitimate reason for hating the world, and what a tragic ending it was. 

doesn't an act of terror need to have a motive of inciting terror to be labelled as such? maybe it's splitting hairs, but i think there is a distinction, no? 

and @Gern Blansten, how do you make the leap to" trump supporter in a big way"?
    I can feel it in my plums :)

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853

For what it’s worth, I agree about him likely being a trump supporter; & like w/ the proud boys, david duke etc, I think trump will do everything he can to not disavow the attack. 

In response to why people care about the label... there does seem to be a reluctance to apply the term to white Americans, but if for example the prime suspect was an American Muslim, does anyone doubt this would have had the terrorism label applied to it right away? 
    instantly. with his passport photo accompanying every news segment on it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options

instantly. with his passport photo accompanying every news segment on it. 
    I can't disagree with that.  And tRump would be all over it.

• Options

• Options
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBgm62C0q-w&t=5s

Crazy shit....the police walked right by the RV just a few minutes before it blew.

Insane