Ten 1st Pressing?

2»

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,943
    kenk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    What’s the going rate on the 94 US version?  I have one from way back but never listened to it.  Jacket is a little nicked up. 
    It’s gotten out of control over the past year. I’ve seen them go for as high as $400. For a while a sealed
    copy was going for $175-$200.
    😮

thanks for the info.  I was thinking like $100.   That’s crazy. 

I've seen plenty of VG+ versions sell for around $200 on discogs. There is one up there now for $175. So some people do go nuts on ebay, especially for a truly mint item, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for an unsealed copy.

Overall prices for collectibles seem to have skyrocketed since covid. I've seen a lot of the higher demand Pearl Jam posters selling now for almost double what they sold for early this year. Rare records are doing the same.

Gotcha... thank you for the info =)
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    kenk said:
    on2legs said:
    on2legs said:
    What’s the going rate on the 94 US version?  I have one from way back but never listened to it.  Jacket is a little nicked up. 
    It’s gotten out of control over the past year. I’ve seen them go for as high as $400. For a while a sealed
    copy was going for $175-$200.
    😮

thanks for the info.  I was thinking like $100.   That’s crazy. 

I've seen plenty of VG+ versions sell for around $200 on discogs. There is one up there now for $175. So some people do go nuts on ebay, especially for a truly mint item, but I wouldn't pay more than $200 for an unsealed copy.

Overall prices for collectibles seem to have skyrocketed since covid. I've seen a lot of the higher demand Pearl Jam posters selling now for almost double what they sold for early this year. Rare records are doing the same.
    On ebay uk Ive seen loads of people sell collections to raise some quick cash. Records that usually go for £120 being sold for £40. Ive bought a few things that were on my wantlist for years and thought Id never see reasonably priced.
    mrussel1 said:
    FR181798 said:
    Original pressing refers to the lacquers used to create the vinyl as opposed to the production run.

The label could have used the lacquers for several production runs and for several years. Each of those runs would still be considered an original pressing of the album regardless if it was 1994 or 2002.

Considering it was one of the biggest albums of the 90's it would make sense that the original pressing was used for several years.
    The terminology of 1st Pressing and original pressing is a bit of a minefield. Lots of different opinions out there. I guess Ive always considered a 1st pressing to be the first batch off the presses (in that country) and be commercially released to the public.

So by that logic you could then have 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc pressings from the same lacquers years laters. A repress. Sleeve material, inner, promo sticker whatever etc might not even be identical. Sound quality aside I think people often pay big bucks for records described as 1st pressings because they believe it was the very first time it came out on vinyl (in that country). If you went to the shop on the day it was released thats what you'd get.

Does anyone want a discussion on repress or reissue :) Ha ha. I think I referred to my 2000s Pablo Honey as a reissue whereas it could well just have been a repress. I dont have it anymore to check the details. I sold it years back just detailing the catalogue and matrices as I had no idea of when it was manufactured but I was of the opinion it was manufactured due to demand after OK computer etc.

Yes you're right,  you could.  But the quality of those subsequent pressings would deteriorate quickly is they're trying to do large runs with the same stamper.  One of the reasons AP records are so desirable is that they typically limit the pressing to 1000 copies and then the stamper is done. 
    Someone here might know how many good pressings you get from a stamper but I think there are at least 7 matrix variations of the US Epic Associated Z47857 release.
  • MedozKMedozK Posts: 9,209
    FR181798 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    FR181798 said:
    Original pressing refers to the lacquers used to create the vinyl as opposed to the production run.

The label could have used the lacquers for several production runs and for several years. Each of those runs would still be considered an original pressing of the album regardless if it was 1994 or 2002.

Considering it was one of the biggest albums of the 90's it would make sense that the original pressing was used for several years.
    The terminology of 1st Pressing and original pressing is a bit of a minefield. Lots of different opinions out there. I guess Ive always considered a 1st pressing to be the first batch off the presses (in that country) and be commercially released to the public.

So by that logic you could then have 2nd, 3rd, 4th etc pressings from the same lacquers years laters. A repress. Sleeve material, inner, promo sticker whatever etc might not even be identical. Sound quality aside I think people often pay big bucks for records described as 1st pressings because they believe it was the very first time it came out on vinyl (in that country). If you went to the shop on the day it was released thats what you'd get.

Does anyone want a discussion on repress or reissue :) Ha ha. I think I referred to my 2000s Pablo Honey as a reissue whereas it could well just have been a repress. I dont have it anymore to check the details. I sold it years back just detailing the catalogue and matrices as I had no idea of when it was manufactured but I was of the opinion it was manufactured due to demand after OK computer etc.

Yes you're right,  you could.  But the quality of those subsequent pressings would deteriorate quickly is they're trying to do large runs with the same stamper.  One of the reasons AP records are so desirable is that they typically limit the pressing to 1000 copies and then the stamper is done. 
    Someone here might know how many good pressings you get from a stamper but I think there are at least 7 matrix variations of the US Epic Associated Z47857 release.
    I have never seen anything other then 2A or 2B, have you seen C or Ds?
    MedozK said:
    I have never seen anything other then 2A or 2B, have you seen C or Ds?
    Yeah your right, I dont know why I had 7 in my head, that might have been Vs. Looks like 4 variants using 2A or 2B according to discogs.