Options

#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    Sorry Brian, not trying to piss you off. you asked for stats so I provided them. the disparities of concern by age group aren't super significant, but there is a definite disparity. 
    I see the world different than some who are older and some who are younger. To say life experience no matter how long or short doesn’t play a role is absurd.

people who lived through ww2 will always see the world a bit different to those who came of age at 9/11
    your life is shaped by events that happen at key moments along that path.  History happens, how you interpret it varies. Age is one way

The fact even saying it pisses people off is confusing. I really don’t think it’s bad 

growing up in the depression affected how my grandparents raised my parents. It doesn’t affect how I raise my kids.  That shapes you as a person. It’s not good or bad, it’s different.  My kids concerns are not the same as my dads or mine and probably never will be totally. That’s ok. Putting a value on someone who more closely shares your life experience or concerns is also ok. 

Growing up with duck and cover drills at school to growing up with active shooter drills at school will affect how you view schools, safety, and related issues. 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    he's not claiming that...he just gets hot under the collar at age-related generalizations. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Cropduster-80Cropduster-80 Posts: 2,034
    edited August 2022
    he's not claiming that...he just gets hot under the collar at age-related generalizations. 
    I’ve always been more of a mayor Pete guy.  I feel like I can identify with him more. I also like Biden, I’d vote for him again but I’d rather vote for Pete.  Is it wrong to feel like he speaks to me more? 

We are all a bit narcissistic. Feeling like he’s some version of you is appealing 
    Post edited by Cropduster-80 on
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited August 2022
    Facts and statistics (the latter of which can be manipulated to "prove" damn near anything) can do that sometimes, Brian.

FWIW: No one said that YOU personally (or some people you know) don't care. I am nothing like the people of my generation in many ways, and, of course, in other ways I am. The trends don't have to define us as individuals, although they do certainly lead to biases in others (and I always try to at least acknowledge mine and be better).

For instance, I can't help it that people of different age cohort likely first see me as someone who doesn't give a fuck about anything and who sat around and did nothing while the world burned because of my generation, and all I can do is change their minds by my individual actions and behavior. This is the same way you may not be able to help it that people of a different age cohort than you may likely first see you as someone who caused the problems they're dealing with and someone who continues to greedily consume because you get to bail out on the whole shitshow soon anyhow, and similarly, all you can do is change their minds by your individual actions and behavior. 

These stats wouldn't surprise me, though, since anecdotally, most people I know or whom I have met in your age cohort do generally dismiss the climate crisis. And it spans from folks who didn't finish the eighth grade to a man who helped build the Hubble space telescope, so I don't really know how much a formal education has to do with it. I do suspect that years of re-education via their preferred media sources has a lot to do with it. 

Edit: I'd put it at about 7 out of 10 baby boomers I know and have met (family, coworkers, friends, associates) are dismissive of the climate crisis, and I live in liberal Massachusetts. If it was all just folks I know from Florida, we might be at 8/10 or 9/10.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    I think some of you have it all backwards.  I don't think being an old president is a bad idea.  I think it is what is expected of a president that is a bad idea.  We would do so much better to pattern ourselves after native cultures such as many tribes of the American Indian and First Nations peoples in which a council did most of the work and sought an elder chief for wisdom and guidance.  That makes far more sense than putting it all on the shoulders of one person. young or old.  I think we are a very unwise people.
    And frankly, I think what some of you are saying shows a great disrespect for elders.  That is not cool.
    The older you are the less urgent you take issues like climate change. There are plenty of stats on that. The reasons may vary, but it’s there 

if in fact that is the most pressing issue going forward the people leading us does matter. That’s not a Biden specific issue, look at congress, the Supreme Court etc. it’s over represented in several demographic areas. Statistics and statistical differences become more important when dealing with groups, not individuals.

you can look up a lot of stats on issues and you can see generational differences. That absolutely doesn’t mean a younger generation is right, it means their view is different .  People moderate with age too generally but that  doesn’t mean it’s  a bad thing, it makes it different. 

I fail to see how that’s disrespectful to anyone of any age.  I don’t disrespect any elders.   It kind of reminds me of when people say I can’t be anti Israel without being anti semitic.  It’s two separate things 

it’s well established people already tend to prefer people who they are aligned with politically (D or R) and surround themselves with those people because they can identify with them better/easier. It’s not that unreasonable to expect that people are also better able to identify with someone of a similar generation .  Usually ageism goes in the opposite direction.  The younger generations get dumped on a lot.  I’m guilty too 

millennials expect to be the butt of every joke and have been for a long time, the term “ok boomer” ruffled a lot of feathers though.  
    The older you are the less urgent you take issues like climate change.
    That's a hugely generalized statement and I'd like to see those stats that bears it out.  Most older people I know care about global warming very much.  We have kids, grandkids, nieces and nephews, godchildren- all of whom will be affected by climate change in their lifetime, if not in ours.  To suggest we don't care about that is hugely presumptuous and for me personally, in the context of this thread, it is insulting.  I guess you haven't notices who started this thread and has posted here frequently with major concern on this matter.
    Just 45 minutes ago I woke up from having a very disturbing dream about climate change and how it will affect the world, especially younger people.  Most of the people my age who I know well worry about climate change.
    We're all in this together and anyone with a brain and a heart is very concerned.  Making and age difference yet another form of division here is totally unhelpful and insulting.  Please don't do that.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/492507/concerns-about-climate-change-united-states-by-age-group/

I can't read that without accepting their cookies.

I'm done with this page for today.  Getting pissed off helps no one, me least of all.

Old man shakes fist at sky!!!!!
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    So let me ask those of you who are so displeased with having Biden as your president, What are you doing about it besides bitching on a rock band fan site and complaining about "old people"?
    Now, don't forget, I as much as anyone here have criticized my generation on these forums and elsewhere, including in my memoir, One in the Crowd.  We were going to "change the world"... until it came time to get a career and a house and have a family.  Some kept the flame of hope and change alive, and some didn't.  And yes, I have also pointed out some of the worthy things we did like help end the war in Vietnam by our activism.
    But this is not a generational problem we are dealing with, it's an American problem.  Yeah, some old people tend to be less energetic and not as involved (partly because, believe me, being old is fucking hard to deal with at times), and some younger people spend much of their lives fucking around on a smart phone.  Oh well, so what?  What does that have to do with what you have done?  Have you written and/ or called your representatives?  Have you studied the candidates and issues thoroughly before voting?  Have you participated in city hall meetings, county board meetings, state assembly meetings?  Have you organized or at least participated in civil actions such as gatherings to raise awareness on issues, or protested issues that concern you?  Have you given financial support to a candidate or (better yet) to a worthy social or environmental organization?
    If you have not done most or all of these things, you have no cause to complain.  If you have (and I know some here have make excellent efforts to create change), great, I but suspect some here have not done these things, and getting on a rock fan site and blaming "old people" is just a lame cop out. 
    You want something better for your world?  Shit or get off the pot.

Sorry to be so blunt, but merely pissing and moaning gains us nothing. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    brianlux said:
    So let me ask those of you who are so displeased with having Biden as your president, What are you doing about it besides bitching on a rock band fan site and complaining about "old people"?
    Now, don't forget, I as much as anyone here have criticized my generation on these forums and elsewhere, including in my memoir, One in the Crowd.  We were going to "change the world"... until it came time to get a career and a house and have a family.  Some kept the flame of hope and change alive, and some didn't.  And yes, I have also pointed out some of the worthy things we did like help end the war in Vietnam by our activism.
    But this is not a generational problem we are dealing with, it's an American problem.  Yeah, some old people tend to be less energetic and not as involved (partly because, believe me, being old is fucking hard to deal with at times), and some younger people spend much of their lives fucking around on a smart phone.  Oh well, so what?  What does that have to do with what you have done?  Have you written and/ or called your representatives?  Have you studied the candidates and issues thoroughly before voting?  Have you participated in city hall meetings, county board meetings, state assembly meetings?  Have you organized or at least participated in civil actions such as gatherings to raise awareness on issues, or protested issues that concern you?  Have you given financial support to a candidate or (better yet) to a worthy social or environmental organization?
    If you have not done most or all of these things, you have no cause to complain.  If you have (and I know some here have make excellent efforts to create change), great, I but suspect some here have not done these things, and getting on a rock fan site and blaming "old people" is just a lame cop out. 

Yuo.

Crying about Biden's age, especially when he was far & away the better of the two options we had last time around makes zero sense to me. 

I wish we had a younger president, but I'm happy we don't have TFG, so I'll take what we got. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:

Yuo.

Crying about Biden's age, especially when he was far & away the better of the two options we had last time around makes zero sense to me. 

I wish we had a younger president, but I'm happy we don't have TFG, so I'll take what we got. 

That too, exactly!  Imagine if 45 had become 46 or were to become 47?  Fuck, noooooooo!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    Have you written and/ or called your representatives?  Have you studied the candidates and issues thoroughly before voting?  Have you participated in city hall meetings, county board meetings, state assembly meetings?  Have you organized or at least participated in civil actions such as gatherings to raise awareness on issues, or protested issues that concern you?  Have you given financial support to a candidate or (better yet) to a worthy social or environmental organization?
    All of the above, Brian, and I make sure to get my children involved as well (when apropos). 

My issue is that I'm tired. And I feel 100 years old.

And I'll admit that I no longer think any of it makes a lick of difference when government entities are involved. In fact, I got my voter registration in the mail the other day, and it went straight to the shredder. (This is very recent: I had been supporting a candidate for Massachusetts governor up until she dropped out of the race last month.)

As for organizations and causes, those I will always continue to support with my time and money. But I'm done supporting politicians who can barely even hold their own democracy together.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    Have you written and/ or called your representatives?  Have you studied the candidates and issues thoroughly before voting?  Have you participated in city hall meetings, county board meetings, state assembly meetings?  Have you organized or at least participated in civil actions such as gatherings to raise awareness on issues, or protested issues that concern you?  Have you given financial support to a candidate or (better yet) to a worthy social or environmental organization?
    All of the above, Brian, and I make sure to get my children involved as well (when apropos). 

And I'll admit that I no longer think any of it makes a lick of difference when government entities are involved. In fact, I got my voter registration in the mail the other day, and it went straight to the shredder. (This is very recent: I had been supporting a candidate for Massachusetts governor up until she dropped out of the race last month.)

As for organizations and causes, those I will always continue to support with my time and money. But I'm done supporting politicians who can barely even hold their own democracy together.

Well done and kudos for getting your kids interested and involved.  That's BIG!
    And I get it about not feeling like supporting candidates monetarily is a worthwhile expenditure.  We still send some money to a very few candidates, but I have long felt my dollars are doing much more good going to Sea Shepherds, Wildlands Network, Natural Resources Defense Committee, Southern Poverty Law Center and some others. 

I hope you reconsider registering to vote.  I know the quality of candidates out there is weak to poor, but I also think if for no other reason, the fewer elected MAGA types we have, the better off we are. 

• Options
    edited August 2022
    brianlux said:
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:

Well done and kudos for getting your kids interested and involved.  That's BIG!
    And I get it about not feeling like supporting candidates monetarily is a worthwhile expenditure.  We still send some money to a very few candidates, but I have long felt my dollars are doing much more good going to Sea Shepherds, Wildlands Network, Natural Resources Defense Committee, Southern Poverty Law Center and some others. 

I hope you reconsider registering to vote.  I know the quality of candidates out there is weak to poor, but I also think if for no other reason, the fewer elected MAGA types we have, the better off we are. 
    For now, this is where the privilege of living in Massachusetts comes into play. If they gain a certain percentage of the vote here, I might get back to the polls to oppose them, but I don't see that happening in 2022.

Every candidate that's courted my vote so far appears to be a carbon copy of the last one; they just look different.

Their propaganda postcard mailers even have the same picture poses and some of the same language.

The GOP is definitely shifting more toward the fascism trend in Massachusetts, but I just don't think they'll gain much support unless people move here in droves from New Hampshire and register to vote.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianlux said:

I don't see anyone complaining about old people, Brian. one poster merely pointed out the issues that can and do resonate more with one demographic than another. I gather all he was trying to point out is that it's easier (generally speaking) to get younger people on board with current issues, or issues that will affect them when they are older. Again, that's generally. Not a shot at all old people, or even a shot at all young people, or anyone in between. Just an observation of facts and human nature. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    the climate and health bill passed the house and is going to biden to be signed.

the press is calling this a "big win for biden".

i hate the fact that they are phrasing this as a "win". as if it is a competition or something. seems like all that does is sow even more division and will just piss off maga even more.

fuck i hate the media these days.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    the climate and health bill passed the house and is going to biden to be signed.

i hate the fact that they are phrasing this as a "win". as if it is a competition or something. seems like all that does is sow even more division and will just piss off maga even more.

Terrifically good point. 
    And really, the bill is not so much a "big win" for anyone as it is a "Good start and well done".  But I think we are going to see that it's just a beginning.  And not to disparage or discourage- it a fine start- but we will certainly want to go farther with it.  At least I hope.

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605

Would it make you feel better if they called it a “legislative victory?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158

legislative accomplishment is more like it. because it is something that was achieved legislatively.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options

legislative accomplishment is more like it. because it is something that was achieved legislatively.
    I can get that.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631

You've had a pretty easy day if this is bothering you. 
  • Options
    RunIntoTheRainRunIntoTheRain Texas Posts: 1,011
    What bothers me is all the good things Biden has been accomplishing keep getting overshadowed by the shit show circus of Trump and his band of minions. 
  • Options

What bothers me is all the good things Biden has been accomplishing keep getting overshadowed by the shit show circus of Trump and his band of minions. 

Another excellent point!

• Options
    Brandon is gonna sign another bill without one vote from repubs in the house. Damn you Brandon!

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Brandon is gonna sign another bill without one vote from repubs in the house. Damn you Brandon!

OH NO!  Now I have that song stuck in my head.  You know...

Brandon
    Marked with a coward's brand
    What do you do when you're Brandon
    And you know you're a maaaaan"

Earworm!

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    KatKat There's a lot to be said for nowhere. Posts: 4,772
    Falling down,...not staying down
  • Options
    haha
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    socialist!!! /s
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    I hope there is some sort of means treat related to the length of time they've been out of school.  You wouldn't expect someone that graduated in May to make 125k
  • Options
    edited August 2022
    Cool. Now I'll only owe (maybe?) $290,000.

Also, did I mention I'm going back to school for a much less lucrative career than my already pretty meager one? And guess what: I'm taking out more loans to do so. :lol:

I will never in my lifetime pay back the full amount of these. Hell, I don't think I'll ever accumulate that much in my time on this planet.

What a country.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I hope there is some sort of means treat related to the length of time they've been out of school.  You wouldn't expect someone that graduated in May to make 125k
    I graduated from undergrad in 1997, and I just started making about half of that!
    I SAW PEARL JAM